/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

To create is to suffer. Let's suffer together.

> Previous Thread
> Play Demo Day 13 games
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-13/entries

> Play Comfy Jam games
itch.io/jam/agdg-comfy-jam

> Helpful links
Fanart and stuff: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/rmiZV5yX

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/LKEdLxdG

> Engines
tools.aggydaggy.com/engines

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

> How into .webm
OBS: obsproject.com
Webm for retards: gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/0ikkunet
youtu.be/S-XEINagmaU
docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ExecutionOrder.html
youtube.com/watch?v=g1UIVI5hNDA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's the first game you built?

First for Java.

Third for engine dev in Idris

so who entered the Linux Game Jam?

Completed? None.
My first attempt was a village builder. Made one bitchin' map-editor for it, because GM sucks ass. It all fell apart when I needed to make gameplay.

One feature of your game is coded exactly how you want it to be by the next time you open your project.
Which feature is it?

the feature where u stop shitposting and postgaem

>distributing non-free software to free-as-in-freedom platforms

The battle system.

any self respecting lignux dev should make their game free software

pong

dialogue system

"Borrowing" this dog
Thanks

art

all of the art,

Probably the online highscore stuff.
Everything else I have a solid idea how to approach even, if it might be difficult. In terms of uploading / hosting / displaying information, or literally any sort of non-client side functionality, haven't got a fucking clue.

responding to last thread
If it is set to B32, I no longer fall 1 pixel into the ground. But I still hit 1 pixel into the wall. Probably because left and right is unchanged? So the sprites don't clip on the y value.

some juice

so messing with some anti gravity, i kind of want to add force powers (push pull grip etc.).

is this the start of scope creep or should i go for it.

i would say focus on making basic movement and shooting really enjoyable and intuitive, don't get too funky with nifty tricks to distract from the core gameplay

progress

I got half of my character's body done in Blender

Where do people respawn in "realistic" mmorpgs? When they die what happens? My game needs to be coherent the whole way through and im wondering if other games got lazy

It depends on the MMO. Instanced stuff like the first GuildWars puts you back at the start of the zone, while WoW, an open world one, has multiple graveyards in every zone, and you have to walk back to your corpse as a ghost and pick up your body. I can not give you any other examples because I haven't played any other MMO.

Working on the shop, gonna update the background here shortly.

i like the reviving at a church in town cliche.

this has a ton of problems though.
>if content is too hard, people will have huge runs back to the area
>if death isn't incredibly punishing in its own right through currency loss, xp loss or something else, it will be abused as fast travel
>doesn't promote people playing the game 24/7. when you die and get sent back to town, you probably will get up irl and do something else instead of continuing the grind

there are solutions to all these though depending on how your game goes. are you making an mmorpg?

a realistic mmorpg would have permadeath but it does not work very well when you put a player on a hamster wheel for gear and xp

is the most sensible way of doing it

yeah im working on an mmorpg

What shop just sells a mushroom?

This guys

Position your floor on y=100 and your character with the 32x32 sprite above that so they would fall and collide with the floor. Somewhere on your screen, draw the character's y position constantly. T&B set to 0&31.
When the character stops falling and it looks like they clip into floor, what is the character's y-value?

well I have a coherent idea for it but im wondering if players would like it because then it would need to be a primary element of the plot and i wonder what kind of immersion it would give the player. everything would be 100% coherent though. but thats the thing im just wondering if players would like the idea in the long run.

The : seems a bit unnecessary.

Yeah you are right!

Have you thought about getting some of that sweet Star Citizen money?

rate muh pixel zelda for fun

How do you think people would like the idea of being an android (humanoid robot) character? Would look almost completely human and you could even change appearance easily since it's a robot

You're a little late

Who here working on a Cease and Desist project?

Pic related (I only eaked out two more, the Splatoon dudes)

So am I!

Please just tell me, I'm wondering if the idea of playing an android would appeal the masses. I'm basing the death of your character and everything on this basis

Nice, if you dont want to give too much details, what's the general concept of it? I say that because I dont want to reveal too much about my game

How much money do you think your mmorpg would require?

It depends on the quality of the rest of your game
Being an android as it currently stands sounds like 'you're a human but you can ~showracemenu during the game', which isn't enough to make any judgement on. I don't think it'll especially affect the appeal either way unless you give more details on what it'd actually mean to play an android.

does anyone else feel proud even of their most garbage digital children

what happens if you buy your dogge grill 50 bones?
I'm keen for your game btw, it's got a nice charm to it

He posted that pic because that character is from a game in which you play as an android and also appeals to the masses.

spark life is too high and their velocity is too low, it looks like someone took a welder to a wall.

nice alt+tab ya frickin guy

Gameplay / settings / MC being some sort of attractive are more important than what exactly the MC is

That said, being an android could have some neat implications on the gameplay that I haven't really seen, especially if you really go into the deep end of sci-fi possibilities

i need to start remembering to put >le wacky open windows in

ayy

Alright cool thanks

And yes I dont think theres quite anything like what I want to do on the market currently, so it would be a neat surprise to most people I think.

goat girl

And nothing except the despair that you bought 50 bones that heal 1HP

you should make her say something special if you buy 50 bones, or make her say something after a while in the game too idk

or a special animation

Yeah something like that is planned, though this is mostly just filler text.

it's the little details that make the game

>coded

Cheating, but I really fucking hate interface and the mass amounts of data associated with it.

So interface code.

Please don't call your first digital child garbage.

cute

>first

>titties
>no hips
literally the exact opposite of good

there is nothing gay about liking men with big thighs and fat asses

I'm taking runescape and modifying the ideas of that. I started working on it a couple years ago after fiddling about with rs private servers. I realized that I wouldn't want to dedicate much time to my own private server because of the legal ramifications, so I tried to see how far I could get on my own. I've worked on it about 1 day out of every month when I get the fancy, so I've got nothing to show for it, except some engine work! It should cost me a couple tens of bucks a month for an Amazon AWS server when I release it on September 2021.

nice .. im working on a ... CYBERPUNK MMORPG. I really cant say more than that and I feel I said too much alreadu. But the idea is so big it will probably require millions of dollars to achieve. And really I wouldnt want my idea to be played around with a shittier team. mmorpgs like The Secret World arent even that great in design and costed 50M to make.

sorry mate, yo've said too much. i'm nicking your idea and turning my mmorpg into cyberpunk. i'm gonna run you outta the market.

bad platformer game in Alice when I was 14

I have a 4 slot inventory that you can find extra slots for up to a max of 8. Currently the ways to navigate through it are either just clicking with the mouse or using the scroll wheel to cycle through. Since the mouse will be aiming at enemies most of the time, I'm unsure if just the scroll wheel is an adequate solution.

I'm considering trying something halflife style with 1-4 keys and double tapping a key to go down a row

what do you think. how large of a menu are you willing to use a scroll wheel for?

>THE agdg joke
how clever

my scroll wheel doesn't work

>I'm unsure if just the scroll wheel is an adequate solution.
Why wouldn't it?
Most FPS do it that way.
But if its just a hotbar, then sure add the optional nth-nth

my mouse doesn't have a scroll wheel so...

A poorly conceived Ace Attorney clone in flash.
All I knew how to do was make buttons so I made a whole game out of buttons.

lul

HTTPS brah, you can probably get away with a free tier heroku or something like that for an indie game.
A high score table is little more than a database hello world.
The biggest problem is to filter out fake results and/or to limit requests.
The former probably requires validating replays, the latter can really be done well only if you can identify purchases.

I like the idea of bad guys being "chatty" like in Fallout and River City Ransom so I'm trying that out.

Also listen to my tunez progress (i am not very good at this normally but I can't stop listening to this bit?) clyp.it/0ikkunet

Also I'm going to sleep it's 3 am I have to be at work in 5 hours .-.

Can I just instantiate all of my prefabs at runtime in scripts in Unity? The way all of the tutorials do it feel like I'm putting together legos instead of learning to code.

I am on the fence of just making my own 2d engine but I feel like I wouldn't get to "making the actual game" for far too long.

I would love a Godot that is .net/c# scripting.

I'm not sure if I like that torso or not.
At least it doesn't exactly look like a vase this time.

>I would love a Godot that is .net/c# scripting.
Monogame?

fuck, I forgot to post my garbage

Now that there's a new separate camera that isn't parented to the vehicle, you can see the vehicle spasming around
I've been playing with speed, smoothing, rotation, etc values for everything and nothing seems to have an effect

the vehicle is spasming because the hitbox it lies on is spasming, you probably have to work around it but I'm not quite sure about how you'd do that

i was under the impression monogame support/development went to shit along with XNA, is this not the case?

Are you using Unity? I made a long rant about that a long time ago.

It works that way because Unity can't into ghost vertices for collision. The official UnityTM answer is just a sugarcoated "deal with it".

Looks like teddy bear riding a clothes horse

I've never used it myself so I can't speak for it. But it might be worth at least checking it out.

I should have mentioned that the vehicle is controlled entirely through the hitbox already anyway

>Unity can't into ghost vertices for collision
I removed the rigidbody, raising it well above the track, and controlled it entirely through just changing the transform.position, and it's still happening. I'll pastebin the code after putting some comments in

Do I hear Sinistar?
youtu.be/S-XEINagmaU

>I removed the rigidbody
Then it's probably your camera tracking? Are you lerping correctly its movement?

There's a difference between Update calls.

docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ExecutionOrder.html

>Fixed Update
Happens before physics calls (ex. rigidbody)

>Update
Happens after physics and input, but before animation

>LateUpdate
Happens after animations

It's entirely possible that the jitter from your camera is related to updating its values in the wrong update call.

Somehow this still gives me goosebumps

Can someone suggest me a good damage formula system?

Right now an attack has DAM and PEN while characters have DT. If PEN does not equal or exceed DT, damage done is capped to DT.

I'm 90% sure it's the vehicle since the jitter happens when the cam position is fixed.
Anyway, I accidentally fucked something up so I undid all my script and unity changes for this session and magically fixed the camera issue despite it happening before this session, and the new issue is still here. This is giving me a headache so I'm stopping until tomorrow.

this thing
youtube.com/watch?v=g1UIVI5hNDA

Welcome to 1-person amateur gamedev, its quarter past noon here and i've been sitting in fron of Blender all morning trying to figure out how one object should look like.

Damage = Random(1,Attack)
If Damage < EnemyArmor {Damage = 0}

new level but i still need to tweak it a little bit

Looks boring.

>Random
damage.self