New MR2

Dear Toyota wtf are you doing ???

Explain this shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

autoweek.com/article/car-news/toyota-president-declares-no-more-boring-cars#ixzz4ggV73ZMX
slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2013/10/22/pop_up_headlights_why_the_hidden_headlamp_has_disappeared.html
safetyresearch.net/blog/articles/european-pedestrian-crash-standards-will-make-global-changes-car-design-inevitable
youtu.be/rKHh3EIFcZw?t=33s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I just want another SW20 dammit not this crap.

Looks cute

I've had it , first they made the MRS look like a girls car now this I want a car not spaceship Reeeeeeeee.

>be toyoda
>make angry cars
>get made fun of
>make psychotically happy cars
>get made fun of
>try making something that doesn't look like a face for once
>still get made fun of
;_;

In all seriousness it looks rather messy, a simple sloped front with a modern take on hidden headlights would be neato

>girls car
What are you, insecure?

Toyota is lost as fuck when it comes to design.

I just wanna see an SW20 remake with new tech.

I like them personally. And they're a huge amount of fun, niggers praise the na miata when this is 100 pounds more, bit more power and mid engine. Hearing that engine right behind you is fantastic, even if you're flooring it to make it up a hill at 30mph lol.

Looks... good for a Toyota? And apparently this is a concept from 6 years ago so I don't know why you're posting it now.

I had an NA MX5 so no I can put up with girly looking cars if it's a good car but I'd rather it look less girly. Also I like the MRS I just couldn't deal with headlights they were fugly as hell to me.

I just need to vent my anger at how ridiculous the Japs made this thing look it seriously fills me with seething rage to know that someone got paid to create such an ugly thing.

Also I am desperately craving a new MR2 I need it so badly and I really hope they don't fuck it up.

He's just trying to rustle autists jimmies.
>REEE MY SW20, I AM 19 AND EVERYTHING MUST BE SHARP ANGLES REEEEE

Sadly it'll work, this board has plenty of the tism.

Toyota is throwing a tantrum in response to people calling their cars boring for years.

>Akio Toyoda has issued a companywide decree for "no more boring cars." And to back it up, the Toyota Motor Corp. president has given designers greater clout than ever.

>The shift of power away from engineers delivered its first daring design in the futuristic, fin-tailed 2016 Prius. The latest is the 2018 Camry sedan, with its bold proportions and flared sheet metal.
>daring design
>futuristic
>Prius
>bold proportions
>Camry

>At the Camry's debut this month in Detroit, Toyoda asked the overcapacity crowd if the eighth-generation sedan was sexy or really sexy. It speaks to a dramatic, if risky, move from the ho-hum Toyota of old.
>Akio Toyoda
>watch who you call ugly in middle school

autoweek.com/article/car-news/toyota-president-declares-no-more-boring-cars#ixzz4ggV73ZMX

We're tearing them apart.

I can deal with curvy things if they're done tastefully.

>Toyota is throwing a tantrum in response to people calling their cars boring for years.

So they're response was to make their cars more autistic.

I'll give them credit for the 86 though even though the engine was from a scoobaroo.

Even then , their version of the car is ugly. The BRZ is where it's at.

The 3rd gen looks like a miniature Porsche, cuuute

Toyota will never re-release the AW11 and AE86 brand new as they were.

Is life even worth living anymore ?

>girls car
did you envision all the dicks you want to suck before you went and made this post """alpha""" bro?

How would them rereleasing those cars benefit you?

>So they're response was to make their cars more autistic.

No. They were autistic before since they were under rigorous quality control from engineers. Now they're normie as fuck. They couldn't find an in-between and just swung completely the other way.

No one would buy a death trap, 115 hp car with no interior space. Though Toyota would have been better off riding the new retro trend and making their shit boxy.

Tbh looks great.
t. mr2 owner

DESU I love the car I just can't get over the headlights they're terrible.

>No one would buy a death trap, 115 hp car with no interior space.

Stupid safety regulations ruined everything.

I kinda like them.
The car looks better IRL.
It has big, honest eyes.
Taillights are eh. If I could get smoked glass or something it'd be nicer.
Overall MRS looks real good. Photos just don't do it any justice.

I mean look at this motherfuckers face, isn't that the face you make at the twisties?

for years i always thought that the MR2 and the Celica were somewhat like cousins since they share nearly the same parts and even have the same transmissions and engines (even the T230 series celica and the W30 series MR2)

a rally offspring (celica) and a GT younger cousin (MR2)

this, i dont even know what the fuck this W40 is

shit.. It's like nobody here actually follows car news. That thing is a concept from 2011. They aren't making it. Stop sperging.

Yeah! Cars are too fast and too safe now!
I want everyone to drive horrid shitboxes REEEEE

You're all fucking faggots.

didnt safety regulations kill off pop ups too?

>this, i dont even know what the fuck this W40 is
lightweight, mid engined cheap (although hybrid will kill it) fun to drive sports car.
No idea wether it'll go for sw20 and aw11 route or zzw30 route with how it handles its identity.

>Tbh looks great.
Don't encourage them I'm sure there is already some stupid Jap guy at Toyota who actually believes this was some philosophical reasoning behind how they designed it.

Eg ''We design the car with the concept of autistic spaceship in mind it embodies the spirit of autist and car together''

Fucking Japs.

Jalopnik reported 2 days ago about MRS rumors.
They are binging the trio back
>celica = gt86
>supra = supra
>MR2 = this

>didnt safety regulations kill off pop ups too?
Yes they did

do your eyes even work or are you using one of those new blind people monitors to shitpost

>lightweight, mid engined cheap (although hybrid will kill it) fun to drive sports car.
>hybrid will kill it
>hybrid
>lightweight
back the fuck up for a second, the W40 is going to be a hybrid?

fucking why? whyyyyyyyyy?

>Jalopnik

Although yes, more reputable sites were reporting this like a month or two ago.

Most likely.
Propably gonna go the RAV4 route where they offer hybrid, petrol and diesel.
In which case hybrid will be the one idiots buy and that sits around on CL for a year before advert is removed and re uploaded next spring.

Apparently they were scared it would hurt pedestrians.

if it goes with the way of the hybrid, the W40 would be neutered
fucking how?

Who are we talking about exactly? The US government? Any sources or anything?

Yes and no.

americans would most likely get the first and last say on anything EDM, JDM, USDM or even Australian Domestic Market if they tried

Are you retarded or something? Popups have no advantages over regular lights. Only aesthetical.

i mean how would it hurt pedestrians? its fucking dumb

and i love pop ups for the aesthetical purpose.

>be Toyota
>make the 86 a simple car that's cheap and a real drivers car with an engine a H pattern and that's it.
>everyone buys 86's
>toyota literally couldn't keep up with demands it was so popular

>be Toyota hmm we need to make a new MR2
>should we learn our lesson from the 86 and make the car everyone wants

>be Toyota no lets make it look autistic as fuck and instead of making it simple lets make it a hybrid

FFS

>i mean how would it hurt pedestrians? its fucking dumb
Idk it's not like they stick out of the car and have sharp edges...

Who fucking cares about pedestrians I want my pop ups.

Jap cars are really a fucking meme at this point

>Who fucking cares about pedestrians
Well apparently you do, since you were interested how popups could hurt them.
And why do you care? You're a NEET that can't afford a new car anyways. However, you can go on craigslist and buy some Miata shitbox for a grand

>be subaru
>attempt to make sub-par gentleman's agreement
>make toyota our bitch and practically force out the GT86 as spare parts for BRZ
>engine isnt even toyota made, its our boxer engine
>fan boys literally make it better by putting in 3S, 4AGE and even 1/2JZ engines to make it superior
>Donut Media even put in a ferrari engine to make it better
>raugh at Toyota's crying because they disapointed the Corolla Levin/Sprinter Trueno fans and every inital d fan ever.

>Well apparently you do, since you were interested how popups could hurt them.

That doesn't even make sense if I care more about pop up lights then how does that mean I give a shit about pedestrians I hate pedestrians and cyclists too oh I hate them so much.

How much is that going to cost? I was hoping to get the IDX but that went away.

Beams engine in a GT86 with ITB's muh ITB's omg mmm.

>You're all fucking faggots.
What did he mean by that?

they were really at their best at the 70s, 80s, 90s and begin to die in the 00's
Group B gave the MR2 steroids
you could put in a engine from a fucking sportivo and you could make it superior than stock
isnt there like a fucking button that pops them back down so you cant even touch the fucking light in the first place?

If they kept it simple they could literally make a new mr2 for the same price as the 86 but I dread to think what this will end up costing. The whole idea of the mr2 is that it was supposed to be an affordable mid engine car now it's probably ruined.

It'd be even more gutless than the FA20, unless the FA20 is way heavier than a Beams from an Altezza. The Beams engine makes torque, but still not more than the FA20 as far as I remember.

European regulations through some UN regulatory agency made it more difficult to design pedestrian safe pop-ups. They're not exactly illegal to manufacture, but car companies don't want to spend the time and money to design a compliant, easily deformable pop-up when aerodynamic headlights achieve the same purpose and fit into

I don't think the US is subject to the same legal restrictions, but manufacturers won't produce one offs just for the US (unless it's in terms of cucking us in engine configuration).

still quicker and faster than a stock GT86

If that's a $60,000+ car only rich men in their 50's will be able to afford it and that will be a huge disappointment.

>(unless it's in terms of cucking us in engine configuration

You guys got cucked hard for all your motorbikes. New litre bikes in other countries le 200hp ish and in the US le 160hp ish lmfao.

the 80s and 90s had more "human" into the car than actual car

the AE86 itself is 1:1 on the man and machine ratio. no assists, no bullshit. not even ABS

with less torque in a 2800lb car, and a peakier engine, no I don't think so. If so, the difference I think will be extremely negligible.

Interesting, afaik EU is more lax on automotive regulations compared to the US. Even then, all this talk about regulations sounds bullshit to me, knowing that pic related is still being manufactured and sold.

3rd gear was ok though

i feel sorry for the bastard that tried to turbo/supercharge his GT86 but didnt think about getting a actual fucking toyota engine

Which one are you talking about? I don't think a properly turboed GT86 would be so bad. Should be reliably pushing at least 350hp.
Also could you stop posting these reaction images with every post? This isn't /b/.

I don't think companies necessarily need to follow the regulations, but they do anyway to appeal to the greatest number of people in as many countries as possible. There might be some sort of tax benefit to following that shit, but I don't know that for sure. There definitely are low volume exceptions though. Ariel Atom must fall under those.

>concept from 6 years ago

:/

Actually, just looked it up. The Blacktop Beams makes about 160 ftlbs of torque around 4000 rpm, while the FA20 makes about 150 ftlbs around 6500 rpm. So I guess a Beams would be a tiny bit better, but it's still a laughable engine swap for that little difference.

I mean, that sounds kinda believable, but I don't know why I should believe that.

My opinion is that the companies are simply appealing (or trying to) to the customers.

>this isnt /b/
but autism is rampant

fucking told you.

Autism is good. Clueless newfriend normies like you are bad.

and as i replied before in green text
>fan boys literally make it better by putting in 3S, 4AGE and even 1/2JZ engines to make it superior

Yeah but why feel bad for a guy who turboed his GT86?

>putting in 4AGE

HAHAHAHA holy shit no. That engine is fantastic in little sub 2400lb cars, but putting one in a GT86? It'll be twice as gutless. That engine makes no torque.

>new

this is a hybrid sports car concept from 2011

slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2013/10/22/pop_up_headlights_why_the_hidden_headlamp_has_disappeared.html

safetyresearch.net/blog/articles/european-pedestrian-crash-standards-will-make-global-changes-car-design-inevitable

>What’s changed in the last decade have been European design laws requiring the front end of cars to be more readily deformable—a move intended to protect pedestrians in case of a crash. (Section 7.2.3.3 of this 2004 report [PDF] presented to the European Commission has more on the changes required.) It is difficult to create hidden headlights that comply with these laws, and the high costs of doing so aren’t worth it to most manufacturers. Although the EU rulings don’t govern cars in the United States, auto manufacturers operate globally, so the diminished global desire for hidden headlamps has affected our bumpers too.

because he would turbo a good for nothing non-WRX/STi boxer for very little satisfaction

this is the equivilant of trying to maximise the best out of a SR25DE (or the twin turbo equivilant) in a silvia than trying to think of other alternatives.

the GT86 is the 2010's version of the Silvia. its essentially a blank canvas. people can put in a RB25DE or a wankle rotary in a silvia (and people do)

people are literally putting in 3S-GE beams engine because they can, people in the UAE are putting in 2JZs in their GT86's (a GTupra?) because they can. hell maybe a RX7 series rotary might work too

not just any convential 4AGE, like say a blacktop 20v 4age

Ok now I finally know the truth, thanks. Abolish EU REEEEEE
Is that boxer engine really that bad? I'd think that a 2 liter NA engine making 200hp would be a pretty decent engine to work with.

>Generation 5 Black top 4AGE : 119 ft-lbs @ 5600rpm

LOL sorry, no man. I get that you've heard the 4AGE is an awesome engine, and to a degree it is, but only in very particular applications. In a 2600-2800lb car, it is not.

to quote Ruby Rhod from The Fifth Element
youtu.be/rKHh3EIFcZw?t=33s

skip to 0:33

what about the formula atlantic 4age?

Ruby Rhod is basically Toyota and Bruce Willis is Subaru

Hmm, I just googled it and there are way too many ~400hp GT86s for the engine not to be tunable.
Many people seem to believe that it's a great engine to modify in fact.

I get that you like dagumi, but those aren't engines you can just find off the shelf, and if you do, it'll be the price of a GT86 altogether. Do a little more reading on the subject matter. Regardless, I'd imagine the torque levels are not much higher. Those are from an entry level open-wheel series from the 90s, so you're dealing with extremely light vehicles. Low torque is likely not an issue in those, so I can't imagine the focus was in increasing it from the stock 4AGE. Besides, they revved to around 9000rpm or so, so the power was probably focused more towards high-end HP like the 4AG engine is best for. The reason that engine works in your chinese cartoons, is because the AE86 only weighs like 2200lbs. It's fucking light as hell.

It isn't too bad once it's allowed to breath I had a friend who gave it a mild tune with full exhaust and intake etc.

You guys know what would be amazing for the new MR2?

Same engine as the 86. :^)

>it was bad
>it had nothing
>no fire, no energy, no nothing
(as stock)
modding a 4U-GSE may give it some spark but its not as good the others that toyota has to offer. giving that 153kw while N/A is pretty good dont get me wrong but its essentially soulless

like i said, any other engine would be better
i didnt mean to sound like a weeb. hell even initial d had some bullshit (muh fujiwara zone and even fuelling it with 103 octane is a bitch)

but im saying the possible 4AGE engines in there

and yeah, the AE86 only did way about 900 kilos or so

i suppose you are right, 4AGEs altogether arent good for the GT86

Please god no

I like it

I think he means we're all fucking faggots user.

if it weighs 2100 lbs I'd be perfectly happy with the boxer4

looks like shit but my prayers have been answered

the pic in the op is not a space ship
this is a space ship

I know this feel all too well

Excuse me while I go masturbate over the glory days of motoring.