People will defend this

People will defend this.

what's so bad about it? it's a spring, just like a round one.

It's a design best reserved for non-sport oriented automobiles like trucks, vans, buses, etc...

It's absolutely asinine that a manufacturer in this day and age would use it on something like the Corvette. People literally have to do coilover conversions after buying their brand new shiny pathetic pile of shit car that still gets wrecked by a generic Japanese family sedan from 2007

Show me on the doll where the Corvette touched you.

The key to good bait is to have some shreds of truth to your bullshit so that people want to dispute or defend the points.

You forgot that bit.

It does not allow a car to have an asymmetrical spring or shock balance left to right. It's also not progressive. It also can't be easily modified or tuned.

>t. leafspring cucks

Why would you want asymmetrical springs left to right? This isn't NASCAR.

The rest is blatantly untrue.

Have you ever driven a car with this setup? I have. It's not bad.

Because some cars are heavier on one side

>The rest is untrue
Lol, leafsprings are not adjustable

>Because some cars are heavier on one side

When your fat fucking ass sits in them maybe.

>Lower center of gravity
>Combines spring and anti-roll bar
>No shock/strut towers that get in the way of your aero
>Objectively superior packaging

Transverse fibreglass leaf springs have a big set of undeniable advantages. The only big downside is lack of adjustability - pretty moot on a consumer car, and in part solved by modern magnetic shocks.

There's a difference between transverse fibreglass monoleaf springs and parallel steel multileaf springs. You're either completely ignorant, or just trolling. Probably the latter.

Fun fact: leaf springs for vehicles were actually invented several decades after coil springs. Which one is the antiquated technology now, huh?

Lose weight, car are never more than a hundred or so pounds more to one side or the other. Nobody adjusts their coils left-to-right, you're grasping.

And you didn't say adjustable. You said modified or tuned, which is easier with leafs.

Not an argument

>No one adjusts left to right
Yes they do

>You didnt say adjustable
I dont give a shit what the other user said

Actually, you can have an asymmetrical spring, or asymmetrical mounting points. Consumer-grade ones like in the Corvette or Volvo's are usually just manufactured symmetrical because it's easier. Leaf springs can be progressive.
Asymmetric shock setup is easy, because the shocks are completely separate from the spring.
The only thing you're right about is that they're practically impossible to adjust, unlike coil springs. You basically just have to replace the entire leaf. Then again, you can work around that (partially) by using a (magnetically) adjustable shock.

You want asymmetric spring because most street cars are heavier one one side. Mostly it's because of batteries, steering, driver, and fuel tank offset. Just go look at some real world scale data.

>Nobody adjusts their coils left-to-right
It's called corner balancing and it's literally the first thing you do on any track car

I hate to be defending cancer, but

People adjust their coils left to right. That's what corner weighing is for. Of course, manufacturers don't bother, but it's important for racers chassis tenths of a second.

You can't modify a monoleaf spring. You can't tune a monoleaf spring. You can only replace it with a different one. This is unlike coilovers, where you can adjust preload and such.

works pretty well for Volvo

How does making the spring from polyurethane composite make you feel?

>A FUCKING LEAF

You mean fiberglass? GM made transverse leafsprings for the IRS in the gen 1 W-body cars (Gen 1.5, 2, and 3, all used coil springs instead). They worked well enough but degraded with age. If they degrade enough without replacement, the spring will snap and the entire IRS will collapse on itself. I've seen it happen

>W-body literally endure structural failure
>I've habeen it!

So Have I tripfag, so Have I.

The spring is on the bottom and while it will cause the rear suspension to collapse on itself, it is repairable. Just get the thing on a lift, remove the pieces of the fiberglass leafspring, and install a new one.

But I never said the cars survive it. By the time it snaps, the car is usually owned by some ghetto rat that can't afford an oil change, nevermind replacing a leafspring, so when they snap, the car is often junked.