Is the inline 6 the best engine configuration ever?

Is the inline 6 the best engine configuration ever?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroke_ratio#Undersquare_or_long-stroke_engine
youtube.com/watch?v=PznboTtpwA8
accufabracing.com/accufab-mustang
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>not posting the best I6

Pretty much. Hits basically all the right marks.
>yfw Nu-Supra will have a BMW Turbo i4

>2JZ
>AMC 4.0L
>Ford 300

Yes. Yes it is.

v6*

Only in longitudal front engines applications, but you've got to ask yourself why not a V8? If it's a sporting model

Because I'm not a 65 year old Fudd that sticks with
MUH VEE ATE for the same reason he still uses .45 AARP.

A V8 is going to weigh less than an I6

>that cute little turbo

better noise
generally a bit revvier

i6s love to be high strung and stay up top

Makes great power, but sounds like shit like all 6's

Not him but a V8 can usually do whatever a straight six can but better.

>i6s love to be high strung and stay up top
Yeah, no i beg to differ, most straight sixes that have been produced have been long stroke engines and just because they can hit 6 grand doesn't mean it's good to keep them there for a while.

Drive any BMW i6 made from 1980-1993

For a 6+ liter diesel... A gas turbo 4 or V6 does it's job better.

Drive any straight six from 1915 to 1980.

American 4x4s and luxury sedans don't count.

Sports applications refers to sports cars, i6 sports cars love revving.

>American 4x4s and luxury sedans don't count.
>it doesn't count because it hurts my arguement
lmao.

The straight six is one of the oldest engine layouts ever.
The V8 only predated it by a few years but even then the straight six was much more common. Your little theory about strung out straight sixes is simply false, the sheer number of production long stroke straight sixes outweighs your precious sports engines by leaps and bounds, shit Cummins is still making straight sixes for duty engines as we speak and anyone knows they don't rev for shit.

Although excellent, its biggest drawback is if you want to increase the bore 1 mm it increases engine length by 6 mm. So it usually leans toward being undersquare - if you're into that sort of thing. Flat 6 does not cool as efficiently as the I6, but it does not have the same 6x multiplicative lengthening issue. *adjusts glasses*

>t.

What about two inline 6s put together?

>its biggest drawback is if you want to increase the bore 1 mm it increases engine length by 6 mm.
>inline engines are long

rly maeks u tink

When BMW tried it they made a mess of it, some user on here has one of those BMW V12s.

It has 4.2L of displacement. It doesn't need a big turbo.

>Ford 300
>1941 - 1996 in the US
>1960 - 2016 in Australia
>twenty sixteen
Who the hell was buying this and why for so long?

Thank you.

meme all you want, the length is the primary reason the V6 made it's disgusting stain on the automotive world.

Detroit made straight-six will outlive you, plain and simple.

>cummins is making straight sixes for duty engines

gee what a sporty sports application for a sporty i6 that loves to rev.

I will consider your learned advice from now on, if i build a sports car I shall use a V8 over an i6 designed for non sports applications as it is significantly greater than the many rev happy performance inline 6 engines available.

Perhaps i should look into straight 8s also for my needs.

thank you knowledgable squire.

Their V12 won le mans so I think they know what they are doing.

4u

>Detroit made straight-six will outlive you, plain and simple.
This, pretty much. I've had two and they're far and away the longest running engines I've had.

They did get BTFO by pushrods in ALMS so id question that a bit.

No

3 points down at the end of a 12 round championship isn't getting btfo

and pretty sure panoz dnf'd le mans the same year

>bore cylinders
>block increases in length
what

The only problem is that the car has to have a nose extension in order to fit the engine in

>many
Yeah, that's your problem, you still believe this is true.

Many inline engines, particularly those mounted transversely in front-wheel-drive cars, utilize an undersquare design. The smaller bore allows for a shorter engine that increases room available for the front wheels to steer. Examples of this include many Volkswagen, Nissan, Honda, and Mazda engines. The 1KR-FE-engine used in the Toyota Aygo, Citroën C1 and Peugeot 107 amongst others is an example of a modern long-stroke engine widely used in FF layout cars. This engine has a 71 mm bore and 84 mm stroke giving it a bore/stroke ratio of 0.845:1. Some rear-wheel-drive cars that borrow engines from front-wheel-drive cars (such as the Mazda MX-5) use an undersquare design.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroke_ratio#Undersquare_or_long-stroke_engine

The only engine you're even referring to is a 2JZ, we all know it.
To your attempt at an arguement, the BMW N54 is losing power at high revs.
Pic related, so that kills your theory there.
2JZ is a square engine but the the number of those pales in comparison to all the long stroke straight sixes so it's not even worth mentioning.
The only engine that fits your wet dream is RB26DETT and once again, that's just a rain drop in the ocean of straight sixes.

>b..but x doesn't count!
Wrong.
Also straight 8s can rev no problem. Torsional vibration was about solved by the time the last of the 8s were being made. There are plenty of Bonneville straight 8s that can rev.

Inlinelets will actually defend this.

>Not having a Cummins in your sports car.

Engine blocks are cast retard, they don't bore the cylinders out of a chunk of iron.
You still need a certain amount of space between the walls of the cylinders.

Forgot my torque curve

>pretty sure panoz dnf'd le mans the same year
None of them DNF although 2 out of 4 BMW LMPs did.

It is well known that the LS is God's own engine. Therefore the V8 is the best engine configuration.

>literal shit engine
Pick any other V8 besides the mod motor and i'd agree with you.

Many bore out the blocks for more displacement retard.

shit is unbalanced. sometimes there is one boom, sometimes there is two booms. Enjoy your glorified vibrator.

>shit engine
>capable of Chiron level power reliably for a 100th of the price.

Most procucktion engines still can't meet it's power to weight ratio. Truly a gift from the Gods.

>Pushcucks belive this

is that why so many girls like those old wranglers?

If space is a problem crossplane v8 is better.

>2 motorcycle engines bolted together for racing purposes only
doesn't count. You're retarded

>N-NO IT D-DOESN'T C-COUNT!!!

STAY BTFO

>why not a v8 if it's a sporting model

>Yeah, no i beg to differ, most straight sixes that have been produced have been long stroke engines and just because they can hit 6 grand doesn't mean it's good to keep them there for a while.

>shit Cummins is still making straight sixes for duty engines as we speak and anyone knows they don't rev for shit.

>Many inline engines, particularly those mounted transversely in front-wheel-drive cars

When talking about sports applications, in what way are inline engines designed for differing applications relevant? Any information regarding the use of these engines in sports applications is entirely irrelevant. I may as well start quoting Diesel Dodge Ram facts at you.

Moreover, cherry picking a single modern BMW engine ignores the wealth of rev happy i6s, the Nissan L/S20, the 30 years of RB, the 15 or so BMW M and S series engines, of course Toyota's JZ, 1G and to a lesser extent 7M.

Obviously I'm missing quite a few. There's also the fact that most SPORTS cars with inline 6s are known to be revvier than sports cars known to have V8s. While some European low displacement flat crank V8s exist that rev very high, the average cross plane V8 that has been put in all but the most high end sports cars is known to be torquey and redline at 6k.

That's not the say teh V8 isn't a great engine, but suggesting that i6s can't rev by citing some Jeeps and pre war roadsters is asinine.

OHCfags will defend this

ohc = more power

I don't see any of those little kids engines making 2000hp. Have fun playing with big go karts when the real men are going fast.

youtube.com/watch?v=PznboTtpwA8

Reminder there is no LS running 5's
accufabracing.com/accufab-mustang

for a given displacement ys. but consider this.
The engine on the left is a GM LS376 crate engine (an LS3 with a cam) displacing 6.2L and making around 500 HP.
The engine on the right is a Ford 5.0L Coyote crate engine making about 412 HP.
Again. Defend this

See The LS can't compete

Alos, drag racing goes on

Is there an OHC motor running 4's?

>Makes more power
>Still can't break the 5's
See

>>capable of Chiron level power reliably for a 100th of the price.
So can literally any Detroit V8.
Horsepower is a function of money and time.

Pushcucks begged NHRA to ban OHC

Is there any OHV engine winning f1, wrc, touring cars, lmp, etc?

Probably because most drag racers aren't stupid enough to pump all that money into a smallblock. Pushrod big blocks dominate drag racing for a reason.

Not as cheaply and easily as the LS, endless aftermarket. The physical size and weight of even a junkyard truck iron block makes them hard to beat. Add an Ebay turbo and you got a 700+hp beast.

>in what way are inline engines designed for differing applications relevant?
This is not the issue.
The issue is the long stroke, low revs straight sixes vastly outnumber the ones capable of revving, this is counter to the statement
>generally a bit revvier
>i6s love to be high strung and stay up top
When the majority of straight sixes were designed and built to run at mid range or low revs.

>Moreover, cherry picking a single modern BMW engine ignores t
You specifically mentioned BMW.
>Drive any BMW i6 made from 1980-1993

>wealth
Wrong.

> the Nissan L/S20, the 30 years of RB, the 15 or so BMW M and S series engines, of course Toyota's JZ, 1G and to a lesser extent 7M.
You've listed a handful of engine models. Meanwhile all 4 of the biggest Detroit auto manufacturers were building long stroke straight sixes for over 50 consecutive years.
Chrysler literally lived and breathed straight sixes from the flatheads of 1932 until production of the slant six ended in 2000.
Repeat the story for Ford and GM.
Even most of all of the semi trucks produced had straight engines.
You made a generalizing statement and you were wrong. Own it.

>Moving goal posts

>Not as cheaply and easily as the LS, endless aftermarket.
Bullshit, the aftermarket for any Detroit V8 is huge, even the shitty ones and it's always fucking cheap, not matter what engine.

>What is the Ford cammer

It was an OHC big block and pushcucks couldnt compete
>le ebay turbo meme
Lol

He did it first, we were strictly speaking about LS

>It was an OHC big block and pushcucks couldnt compete
Still reposting this, NASCAR delayed the proliferation of OHC in American cars by 20 years

>long awkward shape makes packaging a nightmare
>long shape also allows it to warp
>vibrations from the long crankshaft have been known to destroy oil pumps
>just get a fucking V8, V6 is superior in every way and it's no longer 1981 when they were V8s with two cylinders lopped off

>You made a generalizing statement and you were wrong. Own it.

You're right. I humbly apologise for upsetting your sensibilities by generalising about sports engines for sports applications when asked about sports cars.

I should clarify in future for those with limited reading comprehension that I refer to sports engines in such a conversation when I generalise about sports engines, so that those people are not mistaken with 4x4 or economy engines, as is very possible in a discussion regarding sports vehicles.

You totally got me, I was so wrong about inline 6 sports cars. That Jeep Cherokee just demolished my argument about why the engine is bad for a sports car.

>You've listed a handful of engine models. Meanwhile all 4 of the biggest Detroit auto manufacturers were building long stroke straight sixes for over 50 consecutive years.
Chrysler literally lived and breathed straight sixes from the flatheads of 1932 until production of the slant six ended in 2000.
Repeat the story for Ford and GM.
Even most of all of the semi trucks produced had straight engines.

s p o r t s c a r s

>You specifically mentioned BMW.

You specifically mentioned the N54

Nascar didn't do anything. If anything they encouraged mass production. Which the big 3 wouldn't do. They could've had an OHC if it was put in street cars

You only started mentioning sports cars after i called out your bullshit.
Keep crying about how everything else doesn't count even though some of those asshole long stroke engines have been used in racing.

>If anything they encouraged mass production
That's what i mean, Had NASCAR not banned "exotic" engines, Detroit would have been forced to sell the Cammer and the DOHC Hemi in consumer cars.

>two highly strung out motorcycle engines welded together that only has real application in ultralight track cars

Not saying it's not badass, but you can't street a Hayabusa engine unless it's on a Hayabusa. Doubling won't help either.

you literally made the conversation about sports cars in the first post senpai

You got caught up in semantics and argued about a completely different topic because you couldn't follow a single train of thought.

>you literally made the conversation about sports cars in the first post senpai
Quote it then, i'll be here.

a third time for your convenience

Well there's your problem, that's not me.

You could theoretically daily one of these and they're 'Busa powered. They top out at around 160km/h at the limiter though so you'll probably go deaf.

>Implying DD puts more strain on the components than a track day

Yeah, I would figure comfort would be an issue. And longevity.
But it still would not last as long as an LS1. Never mind the fact that it would most likely not have enough torque to move anything larger than , high mileage on motorcycles is considered to be around the five digits. Go over 20k and it's a super high mileage engine.

>But it still would not last as long as an LS1. Never mind the fact that it would most likely not have enough torque to move anything larger than , high mileage on motorcycles is considered to be around the five digits. Go over 20k and it's a super high mileage engine.
There is no reason for motorcycle engines to not go as long as car engines, mine is about to hit 60k.

>But it still would not last as long as an LS1.
Citation needed

>Torque
Google how a transmission works and try again

There are several sportbikes on the internet with 200k miles, all you need to do is follow routine maintenance

>There is no reason for motorcycle engines to not go as long as car engines\

There kind of is. Higher rpm's=Higher wear, That's just physics. Motorcycle engines only last long because they only have to move 600lbs.

for utility the inline 6 is best.
for sport a flat 6 with the biggest turbos you can find and behind the rear axle, the only drive axle, is best.

>Chrysler literally lived and breathed straight sixes from the flatheads of 1932 until production of the slant six ended in 2000.
How the fuck are you forgetting the AMC I6, which they acquired and continued to produce until 2006?

>How the fuck are you forgetting the AMC I6,
I didn't.
>Meanwhile all 4 of the biggest Detroit
You're also quoting the guy who was quoting me.

That is not the S54B32HP
112 hp per liter naturally aspirated, lightweight block, 8000rpm redline

>I didn't.
Then why did you say 2000 as the end date?

Flat 6's are fucking useless.They sound like shit and make shit power. Porsche act like Gods because they can squeeze 600hp from 4 liters when a LS that weighs less easily makes that without forced incucktion. It's displacement is too small to be taken seriously and it sounds like absolute shit.

>Motorcycle components are made up with the same materials as a geo metro

I was specifically talking about the slant six bro, i don't know much about AMC, i mostly know about Chrysler shit.

Pushcucks are the most ignoble of people

Straight 6 > Inline 6 > Vee 6

This guy knows which side of his toast is buttered.

no bro, gm fangirls are the most ignoble of people.
Pushrods have their utility in cars from the 50's.

A turbo that small is comical. It needs two of them that size if it's a fucking 4.2L

Well it was chrysler's for about ~25 years.

It could be at pretty high compression as-is.

you mean the one in the jeep?
I didn't know they still made it till 2006. I thought they moved on to their V6 by then.

And yet flat 6 has won le mans And gm shit never ever has

Also a flat 6 holds the record for fastest car around the nurburgring

No, they ended production in the 4.0L in 2006 and replaced it with the 3.8L V6, which was only ever an interim engine and came from their minivans (my mom had one, it had more get-up than you'd think) which they replaced in a couple of years in everything it went into with the Pentastar.