Best AE86 engine swap??

I picked up a AE86 as a project car and want a little more power (HP) for price than the stock DOHC A4GE engine.

I plan on making this a rally, track, daily driver (yes I know the suspension for rally isn't meant for track blah blah..) but i'm aiming for a solid 250 HP with an engine that's within a 150 pounds of the stock engine (roughly 400 pounds)

preferred no v8 swaps

Other urls found in this thread:

technotoytuning.com/toyota/ae86
xcessivemanufacturing.com/toyota/corolla/aexx.html
rollaclub.com/board/topic/66952-beams-3sge-into-ae86-conversion-kits/
ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php/19394-Universal-3sge-(inc-Beams)-into-AE-KE-thread
youtube.com/watch?v=B-3JAxQn9pg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

3sgte

>I prefer not to go fast

SR20?

3SGTE seems like a solid

Is there a large pool of aftermarket parts for it? so I don't have to hassle with BS park prices

A k20a2 makes 220 stock iirc

You're steering wheel is on the wrong side, my man.

Also
>no v8

250hp is a bit too much for a non reinforced AE86 chassis, the suspension struggles to cope with the high rigidity and high power making the car very slippery.

4A is an excellent engine with some work.

Try some nice cams, port and polish, covered itb and maybe a 20v swap if you feel frisky.

Alternatively you can go with a 7AGE if you want more torque to feel the power more.

main thing these cars need is good setup

you caught me, correction "AE88"

Chassis reinforcement as in a roll cage and cross bracing to the main under carriage?

With the stock suspension, the rear coil towers are rusted so they are getting cut out and re-welded and getting reinforced as well. converting rear to coilover for better/finer adjustments front suspension also getting re designed to handle larger impacts and forces.

It's an AE86

VG30DETT

I believe on the TRD AE86 and the N2 Racing cars (with around 250HP, still very slippery if you watch them) they did a ground up rebuilt with strut, sill and roof reinforcement alongside braces and mandatory cages for racing cars.

The main problem that these things face is that with the suspension design and even weight distribution the cars like to oversteer on entry unless you set the suspension up for a slight understeer, from the factory this is not so much a problem because of the car's power, at a figure like 250 getting power down becomes next to impossible because you need the rigidity to do so, but with the rigidity the car's limited suspension geometry becomes very obvious.

A lot of owners find that they like the car around 180, this is a pretty good number and is popular for most rally cars. With a rally car you might want a bit more torque since that's what the 4A really lacks and makes it feel gutless unless you're really attacking on a circuit. The 7AGE conversion is good for this.

4AGZE with a turbo can easily make 250WHP with the right tuning and turbo.

5th gen 3SGE BEAMS

For comparison:
>4AGE - 128hp, 100lbft
>BEAMS blacktop - 210hp, 160lbft

Still an NA screamer. I'd take it over an FA20 because muh Toyota purity.

I was reading into the TRD rally cars, pretty damn impressive. I understand better now what ive heard about the slight oversteer this car tends to have. also what youre saying with torque vs HP im liking that set up a little better. how much diffrent is the 7AGE than the 4AGE? possible to get one for under a 1000 USD?

So whats the main benefit of a BEAMS blacktop 3SGE compared to the 3SGTE?

seems like the 3SGTE has more HP/turbo possiblities with a lower compression while the 3SGE just has higher compression ratio while being naturally aspirated.

so whats makes the BEAMS better in your opinion? is higher compression that more desirable?

I like NA over turbos (sound, response, redline) and think 210HP is perfect for this kind of car.

i can respect that, guess i got some thinking and deciding to do.

now this also brings up another question, i know if i were to swap with wither a 3SGTE or the 3SGE the stock T50 tranny wouldn't last nor would it probably mount to the bell housing. so would it also be beneficial to swap the tranny with say a W5 out of a Celica or Supra?

>le rcr meme

this is the only choice
S U P E R T U R B O that bitch

I mean you can do a BEAMS swap but that's not as cool

beams is a common swap on ae86s and yes they do have a large aftermarket supply of parts if you know how to look.
some websites to get you started
technotoytuning.com/toyota/ae86
xcessivemanufacturing.com/toyota/corolla/aexx.html
rollaclub.com/board/topic/66952-beams-3sge-into-ae86-conversion-kits/
ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php/19394-Universal-3sge-(inc-Beams)-into-AE-KE-thread

youtube.com/watch?v=B-3JAxQn9pg

F20C.

2.5 diesel from a Hilux.

A 7AGE isn't actually a full motor, it's a hybrid between a 7AFE (common economy engine found in Carinas and Avensis') and a 4AGE, you keep the 4A head and swap in the 7A block, making a 7AGE. If you really want to be fancy you can use a 20 valve 4A head.

As far as cost goes that depends on how much work you do yourself and the price of parts. A 7AFE or a donor car is very easy to come by over in England for example, where you are that might not be the case.

Personally I think it suits teh car better because it retains the high revving character but also gives you some torque.

4A-GZE + turbo? super easy

This guy gets it. OP is just one of those kids who thinks a swap is cheap and easy.

OP is just a guy who has never done a swap and wants to learn.

1JZ

what are the benefits of the 20 valve over the 16 valve?

Subaru N/A flat four

13B-REW. You'll create a literal meme car.

If you can afford it, f20c
K20s been done
BEAMs is a great one too

If you can find the engine
Formula Atlantic 4age

>I want to butcher another AE86, Veeky Forums, help me!

Fuck off.

>m-muh hachiroku
>muh tofu car