Gotta let out a rant br/o/s

Gotta let out a rant br/o/s
>daily drive a 1989 Corvette
>issue with ignition system, loose wire is causing engine to die whenever I hit a bump at speed
>don't have time to fix it this week, college finals
>family decides that since i haven't had time to look over my car and fix it that now they can all unload the usual bs about old cars on me
>mom "if your car isnt working soon you wont be able to get to your summer job" (out of state)
>uncle "you need a reliable car, something newer than 20XX"
>etc.

I recently dropped it off at the local mechanic whos a family friend. He's got a lift and i help him sometimes and vice versa, good wrenching buddy with a ton of experience. hoping to fix it tomorrow. sufficed to say, if I hear one more generic comment on how my all year daily driver that's gotten me to new hampshire, massachusetts and the tip of long island (located in NY) multiple times isn't reliable, im gonna flip.
pic related
TL:DR: i drive a shitbox and people are telling me its a shitbox

Before this thread turns to shit I'm gonna wish you luck. Your friend have alldata?

Fuck 'em man, people think spending $20,000 to avoid a $5-600 repair bill is saving money.

nah hes an old time mechanic in my small town. Would be helpful tho. we are probably gonna try to flash codes
exactly. i do almost all of my work myself except for some major stuff or things i dont have tools for.

fuck that shit man. Id kill to daily drive any corvette.

it's a blast, but be warned, the suspension is unique in that it basically isnt suspension. You can take highway on ramps at insane speeds but you feel every pebble on the road

Unrelated to cars, but I know a woman who claims she has saved $600 in just over a year with her Target credit card
>card usage gives 5% discount store-wide
>she'd have to spend $12,000 at Target in a year to save $600
>probably lets the balance sit on the card for a while so she's paying 25% interest
>maximum potential savings in this scenario doesn't even cover sales tax

Normalfag logic.

Some much this that I came

c a p i t a l i s m

so? Just fix it.

I'd love an aesthetic vette like that desu. I've seen Veeky Forums meme about how shit it is though.

drivetrain is solid, its just weird electronic quirks like this one mostly, and the occasional odd thing that dies

The later ones aren't even that slow. Its just the earlier ones that are shit.

my 89 makes somewhere in between 245 to 300 horsepower and the same for tourque, from varying sources. im going to say 250 even. Although it's not much, the car is still pretty light
>muh power to weight ratio

Your family is right. Get a newer car, stop DDing an old and busted deathtrap.

>Fuck 'em man, people think spending $20,000 to avoid a $5-600 repair bill is saving money.
But you fix one thing, and another breaks.
Fix that thing, another thing breaks.
You're missing work because you can't get there, and losing money there.

It's logic like this that leads to the Cycle Of Poverty where you're spending so much of your income to keep your shitty car running to get to work to pay for the car to get to work so you can pay for the car so you can get to work to pay for the car.
Then you finance something on a 7 year plan with 30% APR because you can't afford a deposit and your credit's shot from all the debt from fixing the old car, and then you have to work like crazy because you're financing a car as it's starting to break and you're underwater on the car because of all the interest and then the bailiffs come because you defaulted because you got fired because you couldn't get to work to pay for the car to get to work to pay for the car because the car broke down AGAIN and you got fired for not being in AGAIN and they start taking things to meet the balance you still owe.

You assume way too much to make any kind of prediction or accurate statement. All that shit is avoidable with logical financial sense, which you wrongfully assume OP lacks only because he's driving an older car.

>muh cycle of poverty where you're spending so much of your income to keep your shitty car running
can afford trips, has a mechanic buddy, daily drives an '89 vette, he's clearly not just some poorfag who can barely afford to keep the car running, Mr. Presumptions.

>Then you finance something on a 7 year plan with 30% APR
literally who would be retarded enough to do this (other than you)?

>credit's shot from all the debt from fixing the old car
again, assuming OP makes direly stupid financial decisions and has no money at all which is obvious from the first post and the car he drives that isn't the case. It still doesn't add up to where a 20,000 purchase will solve anything other than putting OP in a hole.

OP's family is obviously jealous of the Vette and want to see him in a cuckbox Kia. It has nothing to do with reliability. Normies make these kinds of ill-informed statements all the time, but who you should really listen to is your mechanic.

It's a fucking loose wire

find the problem, get some electrical tape and wrap it up. It will take 30 minutes max

this

Shut up, grandma. Old cars are more fun. Especially a Corvette. Great car, OP. I've got a 1990 with a six speed and only 118 thousand miles on it. Drive that whore with pride, buddy.

The debit one is good though. I just think of it as extra gas money.
To be fair, a lift can be nice to get into some areas for testing connections. Depends on the car though.

>and your credit's shot from all the debt from fixing the old car
That's where you lost me. I fix my old POS because it DOESN'T put me in debt to do so, where a new car would. If I couldn't afford the repairs out of pocket and put them on a credit card, then I would just buy a new car instead. Every repair comes out of my checking account. I have no debt to speak of.

I feel for you, I dd a piece of shit 88 fiero and it just died the other week. Now I gotta save up for a new engine because I'm sure as hell not getting rid of it.

so....you're taking the bus now?

Busses are a meme. They don't exist where people actually live, like suburbs and rural areas.

I paid 600 burgers for my car and my "expert" neighbor (who's coworkers friend is a mechanic) was schooling me on how much it cost to own my 1985 jap shitbox that has unlimited cheap parts and I do my own work. What is wrong with these people.

>reliable car
>something newer than 20XX

Your uncle has excellent logic.

Nah, I have a shitty 02 Sebring as backup. Plus, for reasons said there aren't any busses where I live.

>T. Bought a new car that depreciated 50% by the time he got home.

I can understand advising against older luxury cars and shit like BMWs but shitboxes are so cheap to fix why not...

People who don't know how to work on cars give bad numbers because they only know how much it costs for someone else (usually the dealer) to work on the car, and they won't hear it when the tech starts itemizing everything and explaining why things cost as much as they do, they just whip out their credit card and charge it so they don't have to think about it.

Saving up? All you need is about 500 bucks for an ls5.R from the local junkyard. Shouldn't take much more than a weekend to swap it in.

>they won't hear it when the tech starts itemizing everything and explaining why things cost as much as they do
All the mechanics in my town charge 3x what the parts are worth in the itemized list. And I'm talking about like the mid-range stuff on rock auto, not the economy-tier shit. Probably because they buy it at the local parts shop for 2x what the part is worth and then decide they want an overhead on top of that because charging $75 per hour isn't enough already. I'd love to live in this magical place where mechanics aren't total kikes and the receipts are reasonable.

If you spent your own money on it then why should they tell you to buy a newer car, just say to them
>If you want me to drive a newer car, then why don't you get one for me if you're that desperate, because I spent MY money on this, not you

Then move, take it to a shop in another town or learn to work on your car. It's rather annoying to find them, but shops do exist where you will not get fucked on parts prices. (labor is a whole 'nother ball game)

Must be a lot of suckers in your area if all your shops can get away with overcharging for parts prices in a world where everyone has a fucking web portal in their pocket and can just look it up.

They're normies, disregard what they say. My family says the same about the car I've had for 14 years and 265k miles. I tell them as long as it keeps kicking ass as a car I'm going to keep it.

I think it's more like "what are you gonna do, NOT fix your car? You have to pay one of us." You can look up the cost of parts on the spot and tell them they're ripping you off, but you have to get to work tomorrow.
They all charge around the same except for stealerships who are even worse at like $90 per hour.

I know somebody that has a Chevy Cruze that is like a 2011 or 2012, and because it is new and has computers and shit, it was $2300 to fix something with the transmission. Newer cars cost more, are less reliable, and more difficult to repair.