Warm Hatchbacks

What are some good, fun, comfy used hatchback I can get for around 5 grand or less if I'm never, ever, ever, ever going to race anyone? Which I'm not.

I want a hot hatch, but I also *need* a car within the next month and I need it to be dependable, not much older than 5 or 6 years old, and not beaten to hell. I really need the practicality of a hatchback with tons of room in the boot, and while I want the high performance of a Mk6 GTI or Fiesta ST or something, I don't really need it right now and want to get a newer used car without paying for extra for something I'm rarely going to use.

And it's not just about money, it's about being able to FIND something. EP3's, EK9's, Focus SVT's, impossible to find in decent condition. I've been looking forever.

All my research into hatchbacks keeps getting diverted into hot hatchbacks, which is great, I love them, but it's not what I reeeeally need right now. Looking at Sonics, Yarises, regular Golfs, Fits, Mazda3's, Suzuki SX4's, even Scion xD's etc

Warm hatch thread. There are so many of them.

Other urls found in this thread:

lakeland.craigslist.org
ocala.craigslist.org/cto/6110056100.html
tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/6127268354.html
atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/6112380429.html
atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/6098779750.html
quadcities.craigslist.org/cto/6098335318.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Geo Metro

Are you sure you can't afford around 8.5? If you're in the US, I'll sell you my speed3.

Thanks user but yeah that's a bit much. Looking to pay cash and if I'm gonna finance 3.5k, I might as well finance more and get an ST or something.

I'd buy one.

Speed3 is faster than st but fair enough, especially if you want newer since the speed3 doesn't exist anymore. If you change your mind, this is a 2011 and has the highest trim so bose system with sub, keyless entry/push to start, different headlights that turn with the corner, ect. If you are ok with 3 door hatches look into the fiat 500s, I think you can find them for 6kish now and probably wouldn't be as beat up as the others you're checking out since it's a rather normie car.

Depending how hard you troll around looking for used cars, but in my part of the country, you'd be hard pressed to get an actual hot hatch for that kind of money without it coming with a ton of problems, hell the "best" deal I found was a guy who had a horrible monthly payment for his Abarth 500 and wanted someone else to take the car and loan as his wife cucked him into getting an SUV.

Damn user that is fucking nice. Why are you selling it? I'm not in a position to buy it right now but maybe someone else in the thread is. Good shit

I realized it's not exactly what I want/need. I don't need the space, don't want the height/weight of the ride. The power is fantastic but I can't help but feel I'm in a monster truck. Trying to get a boxster S after I sell it and would prefer to do it privately so I know that it can go to someone who wants to love it like it deserves. Kinda wish I didn't dump money into it, got SRI on it, cobb rear motor mount, hpfp upgraded, and AP3 with a 93/e85 tune.

>his wife cucked him
He did that to himself when he bought a fiat

Oh would a tc count for you? Some are like half hatch, half sedan and they come really optioned out (especially if you look for their rs3.0 or whatever it was called, made by toyotas special group). Not exactly fast but they sound and look nice and should be near your price range if not completely in it.

Do you want a 3 door or 5 door?

A focus zx3 or zx5 has the same chassis Dynamics as the SVT, just with a turd motor and shitty brakes. Still fun to toss around a corner with some decent shocks, springs and tires.

I've been looking at those too. I don't know much about Scions except that they're Toyota and that's a good sign.

Prefer 3 but 5 is fine. Yeah I was wondering about regular ZX3s but it would be such a shame to own one that isn't an SVT. But they're everywhere and they're dirt cheap.

I have a lightly modified 2000 zx3 with 249,000 miles on the odometer. It's super cheap to buy parts for repair, is fun enough to whip through Twisties, and will lose to any minivan in a drag race. Fits a huge amount of stuff in the back with the seats folded down. You can get a really nice one in manual for not much money.

where do you live? post your local craigslist.

I'm browsing it daily. lakeland.craigslist.org

this one is pretty warm and comfy im

He said reliable.

implying i read anything past the "warm hatchback" part and didn't take the chance to post a screenshot from a vid i took literally less than 10 hours ago

civic ep3

>Lakeland
You should be willing to drive to Jacksonville or Gainesville or even Atlanta for the right car.

Came here to post this. EP3 civic si (2002-2005) can be had for 5k-6k but you'll do some searching to find a good one that wasn't trashed by a teenager.

It's smaller than a fit and noticeably more powerful and noisy because the weak k20 still isn't half bad.

I am, I always check "include nearby areas"

I'm still searching for an EP3 but they're all in bad condition and have the "I know what I got" tax.

Damn I'd buy that shit, where are you located
That's the k04 2.0 right?

you could always just get one with the nicest interior and exterior and then put it back to stock.

ocala.craigslist.org/cto/6110056100.html
if the carax comes back clean

tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/6127268354.html
looks pretty clean. just throw some stock wheels back on it.

Theres a good amount of ms3 near orlando. (Thats my local CL) if you wanna check that.

Oh damn that first one has surprisingly low miles. Second one is a good price but the miles are getting up there. I'll look more into these actually, thanks.

I will check, thanks.

Miles don't matter. How it was maintained it more important. You want the cleanest interior and exterior. Mechanic shit is easy and much cheaper to remedy.

Or you could drive up to georgia

atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/6112380429.html

atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/6098779750.html

>can't find a focus
Fucking try harder, it was one of the best selling domestic cars for over a decade. Just settle for a base model instead of trying to find performance ones, they're still quick and agile.

I can find focuses everywhere, I can't find SVTs in good condition.

Damn, I should look in Georgia more. Thanks. How hard is it to get a car home that you buy at roar trip distance?

you just need someone to drive you up there. read the dmv website to find out what you need to register an out of state car. bring someone that has done it before if you haven't.

Ah okay thanks, should be easy.

Yea, K04 is still in it and doing great. I'm in Ohio, yourself?

A cute!

gimme details I'm in the US

See I've posted a couple pics throughout this thread. 97k mikes, highest trim options possible (keyless entry, push to start, automatic washers and lights, the lights turn when you go around a bend, bose sound system with sub &six cd player/sirius xm, blue tooth/phone, nav, different led headlights/tail lights from standard, 19in wheels iirc, tire pressure sensor, ect). I also listed the stuff I did in another post here.

hmm I'm in Florida, wish I lived closer 8.5k is a steal

I got my mazda 3 for under 8 grand. Not a mazdaspeed but it is the 2.5L with a 6 speed so it works just fine.

What year? And you like it? That's basically what I'm looking for but mazda hatchbacks are so large.

Are you still OP? If so, not that guy but am the speed guy. My parents own a 2.5 and I used to drive it. They're excellent but have a lot less visibility than you'd think. That's where I think the size is ehhh. Otherwise, I'd say the size is pretty good on then because you have just enough room for adults to be comfortable in the back without it being excessive or cutting into front seat room/hatch space. And the six speed over the base models 5speed is basically necessary. I mean, what's the point of an economy car without economy gearing?

Oh but to add, one thing I do super dislike about ALL trims of this car up until about 2013 (I think that's when they added infotainment screen) is the center dash radio thing taking up the entire space. And the tune button being the largest of all the buttons. Also can't remember how the 2.5 was but the fuel gauge being displayed in little squares is fucking annoying. But at least it does have your range/current fuel economy and all that on the little screen.

>Looking at Sonics, Yarises, regular Golfs, Fits, Mazda3's, Suzuki SX4's, even Scion xD's etc
That's exactly the list I would look at. I have no suggestions to make here except make sure the Sonic is a 1.4L Turbo.

Ah okay thanks.

Yep still me. Thanks for the info user. Really helpful. Sorry again I can't buy your speed but Ohio is way out of my range.

Nah man, don't worry about it completely understand. I just want you to get the best car you can reasonably get. Make sure you test everything and don't settle until everything feels right, don't fall into on paper specs/memes, the experience of the drive and practicality comes first before numbers.

Volkswagen golf

My other advice is to look for the manuals. The automatics are less reliable.

Only worthwhile if you can find a pristine and cared for Golf R which may as well be like finding any older civic si owned by an old man with 20k miles. Technically possible but only that.

corolla xrs but its a sedan and a bit old.

GET A GOLF
YOU WILL NEVER FIND A GOLF R FOR FIVE GRAND OR LESS

Its a 2011 and I love it! The negatives I notice about is that the wheels make a whole lot of noise but that might have to do with the quality. The comfort is great but the hatch is small to most people but completely fine for my standards. Most people complain about the rear hatch window not having enough visibility.

Caliber SRT4 or SX4 with a Turbo.

(2011 Mazda 3 owner here) What annoys me the most is no temp gauge. Like I know thats not really a necessity but i would like to know if my car is getting warmer than usual. Not having some light come on when it actually is overheating.

quadcities.craigslist.org/cto/6098335318.html

Take a road trip. Get an 09-10 Vibe with the 2.4l, they are driven by adults for the most part.
Toyota motor and trans, so you avoid the GM fuckery.Bonus! They are orphans, so the resale is less.

I decided to find the cheapest NEW 2017 hatchback available and it's the Mistubishi Mirage. Fucking $7,000 new. I have never seen a new car this cheap.

3 cylinder engine. I wasn't even sure these still existed. 41mpg highway. In the world of hot hatchbacks, this is a block of ice.

Chebby spark EV is hot hatch performance without boyricer tax or rice styling