I want to get into vintage racing

I want to get into vintage racing.
The local club only allows pre-1972 cars.
I will have about $12K after the sale of my Spec Miata.

>What buy?

Other urls found in this thread:

racingjunk.com/Vintage/182869130/1973-MG-Midget-Race-Car.html?page=3&categoryId=4438&offset=23&from=category
racingjunk.com/Vintage/182837854/1972-Corolla-TE27-Coupe-Vintage-race-car.html?page=4&categoryId=4438&offset=39&from=category
racingjunk.com/Vintage/182728564/1975-BMW-2002-Race-Car-NEW-ENGINE-.html?page=2&categoryId=4438&offset=13&from=category#8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Porsche 912

Datsun 510 my dude

a mini maybe, or an MGB.

Have a look at your motorsports classifieds

whatever you can find that isn't trashed, then just shove a crate 350 in it with a built th350 attached, and show those fucking foreign faggots what they're missing

If you're anywhere near former Soviets, get an early Lada. It's inexpensive to buy, modify and maintain, has a decent chassis and tons of know-how availible.

S30.. Most clubs let you use any year because it was mostly un changed from 1969-1978

Sprite! The proto miata

Sounds like you want to get into the boomer club without having boomer finances user.

a porsche 914

Honda N600 with a motor swap.

That's hot

$12k is nowhere close to being able to regularly race anything, but if you were racing Spec Miata you already know the cost of a weekend more or less.

racingjunk.com/Vintage/182869130/1973-MG-Midget-Race-Car.html?page=3&categoryId=4438&offset=23&from=category

racingjunk.com/Vintage/182837854/1972-Corolla-TE27-Coupe-Vintage-race-car.html?page=4&categoryId=4438&offset=39&from=category

racingjunk.com/Vintage/182728564/1975-BMW-2002-Race-Car-NEW-ENGINE-.html?page=2&categoryId=4438&offset=13&from=category#8

>motor swap
>vintage racing
Not how it works, you have to prep cars as they were originally, that's the entire point

buy a junkyard MGB convertible, weld the doors, weld a rollbar onto it, and throw oh, I don't know, two truck turbochargers on the motor so it is good for one race before the cylinder head leaves the universe.

Opel GT.

+Pretty much a kadett B rallye technically, lots of parts available
+Cheap parts (non chassi)
+Extremely light
+Little to no meme tax
+Its fukken hot

-Stock engines work fine for normal use, but they all hate to rev. Drop in C20XE with R25 box if you are european - if american just stuff in whatever fits, you guys have tons of options.
-Suspension is hard to tune; leaf spring in the front.
-Solid rear axle.
-Early ones have drums in the front.

You can't even put roller rockers or an electric fuel pump on a car in vintage racing. Do you guys think vintage racing is getting an old shell and putting whatever modern shit you want in it?

they're busriders what did you expect

I'm eurofag, and here classes that allow this is more the rule than the exception. I just checked the SVRA classes, and it seems like you guys are allowed pretty much no mods at all.

Rate my dirty bus. Pic related.

datsun 510 and bmw 2002 are the most competitive in the group 2 / group a / group 5 / 2000 classes.
The rules for vintage racing are kind of stupid and the competition is minimal (but might be exciting for a new racer).
It depends on the size of the field.

Look whats popular in your area and base you race off that - you will be a lot more satisfied.
$12k might be enough to build your own car and get set up.

also consider spec miata, spec e30 / 36 / 46, time attack, honda cup, etc.
the problem i have with vintage racing and ITB is that you're spending a lot of money to go slow.
and people dont race very hard since the cars are mildly irreplaceable in the sense that panels and trim are either NLA or expensive.

I thought about racing ITB or VARA but i decided the investment wasnt worth the money.
I'd rather build a time attack car.

ford maverick
mercury cougar
dodge dart
plymouth duster

datsun 510
volkswagen type iii (fastback, notchback, or squareback)
volvo 122

if you get a typeiii squareback, youll be the coolest

Old lada or moskvich

>BMW

Thanks for letting us know you take the bus daily except the one day of the month your RefugeeMobile works

>can't use electric fuel pump
>fuel pump is blocked off on the head in this pic
ok

t. Le 56% face