How did toyobaru fuck up so badly?

How did toyobaru fuck up so badly?
This could've been a GREAT car if it wasn't for the engine that toyobaru put in.

Other urls found in this thread:

roadandtrack.com/car-culture/videos/a32616/this-330-whp-honda-civic-is-all-motor/
youtube.com/watch?v=wKzVgd3JvHA
youtube.com/watch?v=bXvR26SEHvg
carthrottle.com/post/shocking-gt86-sales-mean-we-should-say-sayonara-to-a-hot-version/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>This could've been a GREAT car if it wasn't for the engine that toyobaru put in.
Then swap in the engine you think is better.

/thread

Should have dropped the camry v6 in there

>People still shit on the 86 for not having a powerful engine
>The whole point of the car is being able to get sideways while still going the speed limit

Correction, they would sell three times as many if it actually came with a lift back instead of a trunk lid, and advertised it as a practical sporty car for normies. As it's configured and promoted now it only appeals to autistic sports car fags that can't afford it.

Daily reminder that the 86 has the most powerful NA 4 cylinder you can currently get in car.

Then people would have complained about the extra weight from the lift back. You can fit 4 wheels and a jack in the car, what more do you want from a red coupe?

Rwd*

Why don't they just put in a real engine in the factory?

>Had to put Prius tires on to do this

That's bull. I had a 240sx hatch loaded with every option but automatic and sunroof, came in on the scales at 2650 with a sr20de swap. They could 100% make the 86 with a hatch and keep it around 2800

It's all Subarus fault. What was even the point of partnering with them?

>Daily reminder that the 86 has the most powerful NA 4 cylinder you can currently get in car

No it doesn't Honda has a 300HP 4cyl Civic.

roadandtrack.com/car-culture/videos/a32616/this-330-whp-honda-civic-is-all-motor/

What engines will fit? Can I swap in a 2jz?

I agree, but I'm indifferent about power, wish the gt86 had an invincible na toyota i4 under the hood

The most significant problem with this line is that it looks fast, nobody would be calling it bad if it wasn't trying so hard.

Go Fa20

>came in on the scales at 2650 with a sr20de swap.

That is almost 100lbs less than the 86 exactly. Not bad considering the 2 cars are almost 25 years apart.

You realize the 86 is 2775lbs right? You think they could add a lift back with only adding 100lbs? Do they even make modern day lift back coupes anymore? I'm genuinely curious.

What do you even want to put in the trunk? People already fit their mountain bikes back there.

I'm pretty sure that guy spent like 50k on the engine alone.

See pic related

>no pictures

How did they fuck up? They're still selling out at dealerships here. I see like 30+ a day. Just because you can't afford a $27k fun grocery getter doesn't make it a bad car. Overpriced, Yes, But it's not like there's many other options out there.

Daily reminder that people pay $80k for 4 cylinder Porsche's.

Turn off your firewall

The sign on the windshield

>v6
into the trash it goes

>not throwing a modified nascar v8 in it

youtube.com/watch?v=wKzVgd3JvHA

>Do they even make modern day lift back coupes anymore?
There's also the Audi A5 Sportback and A7, if you want to count 4 door coupes.

I am fucking fully torqued right now brothers.

Yeah dude, let's double the cost of our Toyota roadsters instead of just buying something better in the first place!
/unthread

The japanese auto industry is in decline.

Sure.

>that ugly as shit grill

Did you you just entirely forget about the 370z?

>thinking anybody else's shit is any better

>thinking this is ugly
Looks a lot better in person too

I prefer the trunk but would identify as a sports car fag, and this is very true. For the same $$ I could get a Fiata or a nice C6, which are infinetly better cars

It is ugly.

>better in person
Literally applies to every car.

youtube.com/watch?v=bXvR26SEHvg

not the best looking car but that front end is miles better looking than the full retard lexus shit

No it isn't.

Looks like a damn Darth Vader mask if he had down syndrome. Plus it doesn't match the design idiom of the rest of the car.

The Lexus grille at least has the million little "L" shapes in it.

Yet it's faster than the top spec miata that came with sports tires.

The engine is good enough to beat the S2000

What is ford mustang ecoboost 310 hp

>How did toyobaru fuck up so badly?
In Europe, the GT86 was awarded the following titles in 2012:

Car of the Year by Top Gear magazine (and Jeremy Clarkson) who also crowned it Coupé of the Year and winner of the Top Gear Speed Week (against competition including the McLaren MP4-12C, Porsche 911 Carrera S, and Lotus Exige S);
Best Driver's Car by Autocar;
Performance Car by Auto Express.
In Australia, the 86 was awarded the following titles in 2012:

Car of the Year award by Wheels magazine, Carsguide, and Drive (shared with Subaru BRZ);
Best Performance Car under A$60,000 and People's Choice again by Drive;
People's Choice Best Performance Car under A$100,000 by Carsales (shared with Subaru BRZ).
Other awards received include:

2012 Car of the Year in New Zealand (Toyota 86 and GT86);
2012 Best Affordable Sports Car by US News (Scion FR-S);
2012 Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Top Safety Pick in the US (Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ);
2013 Top Ten Best Cars by the American Car and Driver (Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ);
2012-2013 Japan Car of the Year "Special Award" (Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ).
The Subaru BRZ was also crowned:

Fun-est Car of the Year by Top Gear Australia (against the Toyota 86, BMW M135i, Porsche 911 Carrera, Audi RS5, Ford Focus ST, and Renault Megane RS265);
2012 Sports Car of the Year by France's Echappement;
2013 Best Sports Car by Canada's Auto123.

>This could've been a GREAT car if it wasn't for the engine that toyobaru put in.
In addition, the Toyota-Subaru D-4S boxer engine was named one of Ward's 10 Best Engines in 2013.

Stay salty.

The best part of the engine is the fuel injection system, which wasn't even made by Subaru.

Im genuinely curious about the handling benefits of the boxer vs an inline 4. The boxer offers:
>lower COG
But does so by:
>Hurts engine serviceability
>Limited to mcdonald struts
>Worse piston wear

nice cherry picking on audi faggot.

Suck audi's grilled dick you little lexus beta cuck.

lexus is for old people and asians, and women who like reliability.

FRS owner here...

IMO, it wasn't the engine they fucked up, it was the lack of a proper track setup that kept this car back. You need to modify a ton of stuff to make it even remotely ready for a track day. That and the stock traction on this thing is total shit. Even with PSS on the stock rims, sliding everywhere. I shouldn't have to buy 9" rims to get sticky. That, and it looks retarded on its monster-truck suspension.

>rims
Kill yourself.

If you wanted to go track driving not sliding about you got the wrong twin, the BRZ has the more track focused setup and is much more stable at the back end in factory setup.

this fucking guy

Shit i thought they were identical

No the rear suspension is slightly lower and softer on the BRZ and it has different alignment.

>Ripped off cuck
>Typical BRZ/86 Owners

LEL Audi bmw mercedes drivers keep owning these lexus/toyotasubaru cucks

Herp derp cuck, funny how kids want any reason to use the word without even knowing the meaning

it allready is a great car.
Suck it.

Yet I bet you can't post an Audi, BMW or Mercedes made in the last 20 years with as many industry awards.

>cherry picking
>literally posting the last-generation design with a license plate stuck in the middle of it

Kek. Come back and see us when you're no longer a fan of FWD Volkswagens.

audi is for wannabe gangsters, poor people and people whit shit personality and worse taste.
You are a poor russian peasant if you like audi.

You misspelled Lexus, the gang-bangers' choice.

The FA20 is a great motor. Honestly they just needed to do a BRZ STI so the people that wanted a hardcore sports car could have one. The only thing Subaru couldn't pull out of the parts bin for it would have been the transmission and they could have built one in house using the STI six speed gear set in a newly developed RWD case.

Toyota was thinking about making an enthusiasts version of the GT86, but the low sales basically killed that idea.

Is that a Coyote? Im a Ford fan but bloody hell a LS1 would have been a million times easier. Pic related

probably has something to do with the fact that Toyota owns a small part in Subaru

>compares a factory motor to heavily modified motor
:^)

Fucking Subaru and those shitty boxer engines, when will they stop being edgelords and just use tried and true i4cyl.

How to EJ25
>fry head and manifold gaskets because Subaru cheaped out and put thin as fuck low heat resistant gaskets on
>pain in the dick to work on, things that should be easy to get to aren't
>b-but muh low center of gravituh tho
What meme engine design.

>The japanese auto industry is in decline.

wewlad

>ecoboost
>ecoBOOST
>BOOST

holy shit kill yourself, can you not fucking read?

>Limited to mcdonald struts
Literally nothing wrong with that.

>Hurts engine serviceability
If you're mentally handicapped, yes.

>Worse piston wear
If this was actually a significant problem, the boxer design would have been abandoned years ago.

>The best part of the engine is the fuel injection system
Toyota's DI fuel system would be shite without the FA

>they could have built one in house using the STI six speed gear set
When you say "they" you mean ProDrive, and "they" have zero interest in doing such a thing

>those shitty boxer engines
>EJ25

Literally any other EJ is better than the 25, try harder.

Pfft same design, just different size, and with or without boost.

They basically have to use the boxer with their AWD system. Because of where they have to position the transmission relative to the wheels a longitudinally mounted I4 would be too tall for their sedan derived cars and would make their cars even more ridiculously nose heavy. Before you say "just change to a transverse mounted engine" I'm going to remind you that would mean throwing away their entire AWD system which is simply not going to happen.

The only other engine you could fit under the hood without ruining the car completely from a weight distribution perspective is a fucking rotary which I suspect you would not be happy with as a solution.

Mitsu did it tho, worked for them.

>does the opposite of trying harder

all of the EJ20's have thicker cylinder walls, and rev significantly higher. People literally throw TD05's on these engines @ 25PSI with no other mods all the fucking time.

All of the EJ22's have thicker cylinder walls, stronger internal components, etc.

All of the EZ30, EZ36, and EG33 engines outlive the EJ series.

The EE20 Diesel is unstoppable.

Should I continue, or do you see my point? All manufactures have bad engines, trying to undercut Subaru solely based in the EJ25 is retarted.

愚かな外国人は家に帰ります。

Mistubishi used a transverse mounted engine with an AWD system that was only AWD on demand. An Evo experiencing zero slip at the wheels is front wheel drive.

Fuck off rice nigger, I can dream.

The FA20 was also named one of Ward's 10 Best Engines in 2015 & 2016 on top of the 2013 award listed above.

>you mean ProDrive
I've seen this repeated before but I've never actually found or been presented anything indicating that Prodrive was involved in the design of the STI transmission in anything but an advisory role.

Even if it was true (it isn't) it doesn't take a genius to take an existing AWD transmission and design a new case that uses the same gearset and omits the AWD parts.

You can dream, so I can, maybe one day our dream will come true. But sadly...
carthrottle.com/post/shocking-gt86-sales-mean-we-should-say-sayonara-to-a-hot-version/

>Even if it was true (it isn't)
But you're fucking wrong, user.

Prodrive designed the DCCD systemwhich comes on the STi TY85* series transmission.

>it doesn't take a genius
These STOCK transmissions are used in very high horsepower (

>Prodrive designed the DCCD systemwhich comes on the STi TY85* series transmission.
You're gonna have to post some first hand evidence that Prodrive designed the DCCD system because it was on the 1994 JDM STIs which were still using the TY75s. 1994 was also the first year the rally car had an active center differential so assuming Prodrive did design it would mean that Subaru threw it onto their production cars before they'd even finish a single rally season which obviously didn't happen.

>Prodrive creates a design prototype with heavy mechanical modification, and subaru mass produces these parts to spec.
Wait you think Prodrive does Subaru's R&D? That's literally the STI division's job which is why the car has their name on it. Subaru and Prodrive haven't had a professional relationship for over 8 years.

>Besides, the current gearbox design is literally three separate segments
How exactly? They'd need to design a new case to hold the gearset sans center and front differential. People already do RWD conversions with their STI transmissions by removing those parts.

It is a great car, loved by enthusiasts around the world.
It's only hated by a bunch of bus riding bench racers

t. 86 owner

>most powerful NA 4 cylinder

that's like saying you are the strongest starving jew in the concentration camp

engine is fine, after you flash it.

fucking Veeky Forumstists don't get the point of the car and the state of the coupe market.

it is supposed to be an entry level rwd coupe that is fun. priced as low as possible while still being realistic in a low demand market.

if it wasn't for damn fuel econ standards. then the car would ship with better tire and no damn dip in the mid rpms.

Nothing wrong with the car. Center of gravity is god like. It was designed as an enthusiast platform. BRZSti will make more power if you're really that worried.

>It should've come with a quad turbo W16, keeping the same weight, center of gravity and price
>Only then it would've been a decent car
Kys you are self.

>Basing a transmission solely on how many gears it has
Literal benchracers. The Miata's manual is one of the tightest, best feeling and shifting transmissions on the market. The Toyobaru is pretty good but definitely not as good as the Miata's. Also
>Implying anyone is going to get to 129 mph on public roads
>Muh laptime (Citation and Track Needed)

Can we start IP banning these fuckslots spam posting BRZ threads again? Why did we stop doing that?

>chassis and suspension by Toyota
>engine by Subaru
>this car could have been great if not for the engine
So it could have been great if Subaru wasn't involved, basically. There would probably be less vapers driving them too.

>The Toyobaru is pretty good but definitely not as good as the Miata's
I've tested a lot of cars in this class, including the NC and ND Miata, and the only transmission I liked more than the Toyobaru's is the Honda S2k's.

I frequently reach 150 mph on public roads.

The whole car is from subaru. The only toyota part is the D-4S

Why are people still arguing over this car 5 years later? Get over it you dorks

>it's been 5 years already
>they don't exist anymore
>they're not relevant anymore
>so many new cars that are so much better came out in the last 5 years
>I just want you to stop liking what I don't like

I just want to stop seeing these threads spammed daily with the intent of shitposting, we dont even end up discussing cars because newfags just end up parroting whatever the shitposters say.
>inb4 assmad 86 fangirl
I own a Focus

The threads are here to stay, just as the car is.

thank /r/Veeky Forums for the steady stream of newfags year after year

>The threads are here to stay
Why does a car trigger you so much a thread needs to be made to express you're autistic hatred for it?

I know this may come as a surprise to you but I have a feeling OP just made this thread because he knew it would get 300 replies.

I don't know, I'm not the one who makes these threads or shitposts in them. I just own an 86 and laugh at the shit people are talking about it.

Engine swaps are cheap. Toyobarus are cheap(ish).