Oh no... I want an RX-8

Okay... help me br/o/thers.

Talk me out of getting a 2004 Mazda RX-8, Grand Touring, every option available, low miles (45k), for a great price ($5999)

Other urls found in this thread:

swv.craigslist.org/cto/6119025286.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You have a dyno sheet for your ms3 yet?

Apex seals are probably shattered

I own a FB and the car is a huge fuckin pain in the ass to work on, you have to follow a strict shitty schedule and even if you do it still breaks. It gets pathetic gas mileage. It burns oil. You can't bolt the engine to a stand without an adapter or rigging something up. The community is full of liars, retards and people who just can't accept their buyer's remorse and stop at nothing to defend it. Parts are expensive. You'll constantly have a nagging feeling that the car will break (because it will).

tl:dr the rotary meme is shit just test drive it to get your rotary kick then move on to something else, don't make the same mistake as me

"I own an old car and im not man enough to keep it running"

Would like to add that you can't even stop at the store to grab something really quick cause it'll probably flood. So you have to do a dumbass unflodding procedure, or leave the car running. Also contrary to what the rotard community and anyone who talks about rotary engines will lead you to believe, you cannot just rebuild an engine. When the apex seals go, they ruin the housing as well almost every single time, and if it overheated, the irons can be warped too, or even gouged out by the seals, the rotors get ruined too. there is a chance that it'll be able to be rebuilt, but 9/10 you'll have to get a new housing and new rotors, so you can't just buy that rebuild kit and do it.

When the engine went in my FB, the rear housing, rear and center iron and rotor were all unusable, thats over half the engine.

And here's what I'm talking about with the community. You can't be serious can you? I guess you're more of a man if you get to constantly have your car sit on the back of a tow truck bed. Everyone knows old cars require effort to keep running, and you get rewarded for your effort, but the rotary engine doesn't reward you. It's a cuck car, it blows it's load too early, you're never satisfied.

>Would like to add that you can't even stop at the store to grab something really quick cause it'll probably flood.

Is it really that bad though? Over here the average RX8 driver is 50+ years old. I'm pretty sure they use it as a grocery getter and I'm positive they never redline it. Though that might be why there's so many for sale for cheap.

>over half the engine
>has 3 moving parts

The owners being 50+ years old is actually a bad thing. Chances are they don't follow the very strict maintenance schedule, including redlining the car. You're supposed to redline the car once a day and shift high, because the engine builds up too much carbon.

Pretty sure I only listed one moving part

Rotary engines.

at 70k miles and the engine goes out.

Most of 'em have 0 moving parts.

I guess a plus to owning a RX car is that the insurance is really cheap. Whenever I added mine to my plan, it only increased my premium by a few dollars.

I guess they knew it wasn't going to be driven anyway.

A lot of what he's saying is true but that part isn't, assuming the engine is already hot (a few minutes of light city driving).

Also I took it that rebuilds were meant to be done before a seal explodes, but hey, what do I know

>Would like to add that you can't even stop at the store to grab something really quick cause it'll probably flood.

I drive mine 1 mile down the road to the store all the time, never floods, actually my rx8 has never flooded once.

That only happened on the 04 -05 models that never got the ecu update from mazda, it leans the tune out a shit ton, mazda made them way too rich from the factory.

I never had a problem with the FB and flooding, but I've heard of it happening alot with RX8 owners. I even saw it happen to one at my place while he was getting gas. I had to go out there and help him get it started.

Well, there's your answer. Must had been one of the models then

It only floods if it's cold, or your ignition coils are garbage. Rule of thumb if you get the temp gauge to 1/3rd or higher you will be completely fine.

Never being redlined is bad for the RX8, it needs redlines to clear carbon build up.

For that price and those miles it's probably worth it. I got mine at 80k miles for 6k and its at 110k miles now no issues, only upgraded ignition coils and decatted.

The car's fun, great to drive, full of character and surprisingly usable day to day. Worst thing is fuel economy. I don't know why it triggers some Veeky Forumstists so much.

A speed 6 Gt is a better car in every conceivable way if you really want a mazda

my brothers selling the same one for 3k, it comes pre equipped with WAT stickers
your getting ripped off at 6k

what state? I'll legit buy it

michigan, fuck.... I dont really feel like linking his ad, he might get mad if a bunch of autists from Veeky Forums know his address, and I know he lurks here.....
My advice is not to buy one, and if you do swap in an LS. That car has had more problems than any other he has ever owned, but he to this day will not admit that rotorys are memes

damn so far, ya don't link it I'm in Florida and there'd be no way for me to get it. Fuck for 3k though I'd buy it just for track use with that price.
What's all gone wrong, since it's such a problem child??

>being this retarded
I've daily driven an Fb for 4 years and you're hopeless
You have no place owning any car
Go lease a camry faggot

Apex seals are the meme seals, they forget about the side seals on the rotor. The engine is too hard and expensive to manufacture. There will never be another rotary.

Everything you say is bullshit
Mine never flooded once,
I worked at a rotary shop for a few weeks and we would start cars and have them running for 15 seconds just to move them all the time, no flooding

Its like near impossible to flood a rotary unless you actively try to and even then...

So you're telling me that you don't have to follow a strict maintenance schedule, it gets great gas mileage, it doesn't burn oil and you can mount it to an engine stand without an adapter or rigging something up? You're also telling me that parts aren't marked up, the community isn't full of liars and retards who do shit that's not recommended by mazda at all AND you never have a nagging feeling that the car is going to break?

So you have an engine swapped FB then? What did you swap in bro?

Everything I say? Or do you mean just the flooding part? You worked at a rotary shop, how many blown engines did you see that had usable housings, irons and rotors?

We have put 7k in it so far, it runs like new now but the MPG and constant maintenance has become an issue as.... well... as we ran out of money.

>strict maintenance schedule
I wouldn't say changing oil every 3k miles is a strict maintenance schedule... all cars need oil changed you spastic
Burning oil.. I premix. And wmever without premix they still burn significantly less oil than ANY modern honda/bmw/nissan/audi/vw/etc
And hurpa durp why can't I use a piston engine stand for an entirely different engine? Like buying an adaptor plate is hard or anything you dumb fuck. They are $40 fucking dollars! Hell you could make your own with scrap metal in under an hour
As for gas milage? Maybe owning a sports car isnt for you. ride the bus

Stop posting
Fucking clueless fool

>can't spell
>honestly believes his shitbox doesn't burn oil
>changing at 3k is normal

lmao

>replaced the brakes
>replaced the o2 sensor, twice
>radiator had to be replaced
>rebuilt entire engine
>replaced clutch
>re wired the whole fucking car
>more shit that i want there for (coolant exploding or something not sure)
The car is basically new at this point
Funny thing is I daily a car from the 60'sand have only thrown a belts (guess the car and I'll give out a (you))

shit man sorry to hear that, for real if you were in Alabama, or Georgia I'd cone check it out and more than likely buy it straight up. I have 3k and want a rotary

Dont fall for the meme as I have Br/o/ther save your pocketbook from the rotary menace.

A rotary that burns less oil than any modern car? What kind of magic rotary have you invented? Maybe you should give Mazda a tip so they can bring the engine back! Also I can name hundreds of sports cars that get better fuel economy, dont have to have their oil changed every 3k miles and make more power than a rotary, even huge f250 super dutys have the same or better fuel economy.

Who's clueless? All I've done is post widely known issues with the car.

I probably won't, I just figured I'd step out of the norm for once with pistons and give rotaries a shot but with constant negative feedback it makes me sad

RX-8's aren't even that old. My car is from 1999 and it isn't a horrible dumpster fire of unreliability.
The takeaway I can give OP is that if he wants a reliable RX-8 he should LS swap it.

Rotaries sound really neat and I'm really drawn to them, but the constant shitposting and the fact that they're not even false makes me feel bad

>if he wants a reliable RX-8 he should LS swap it

And spend 10k in the process, the engine itself is cheap, getting it mounted correctly isn't.

>not doing it yourself

If I were to get an RX8 I'd get one with low miles at a dealer where I'd be able to get extended warranty.

>bring the engine back
are you implying that the new rx7 will not contain a rotary engine?

That is doing it yourself. The mounts and the rest of the shit you need isn't cheap.

You need to make either a miata or fd rx7 steering rack work in the car since the electronic rack will not work without the rx8 ecu, getting that to work costs more since it requires a custom harness.

If you cheap out and buy an ls from a truck you need to swap the truck intake manifold/valve covers/oil pan out for car variants.

Add in a fuel pump, long tube headers, full exhaust, custom throttle cable and clutch lines, gm master cylinder and you're out even more money. You'd be surprised how bad a swap will nickel and dime you.

>honestly believes his shitbox doesn't burn oil

He said premixed, that assumes the omp was removed, what is reading comprehension.

>changing at 3k is normal

It is if you're not a nigger who lets his car go over schedule.

Oh, boy, here we go.
>mfw I don't have Jim Carry on my computer

This is definitely bait. I'm calling time stamp or your a fucking liar. I've never heard so much whining from a rotary owner, ever. And this includes people who were too stupid to maintain it properly and blown their engine/headers.

Just ignore that guy, OP. He is clearly baiting you and just posing as someone who has "owned a rotary."

I drive an RX8, they are a blast. You have to treat it like a performance engine, though. The same maintenance would be required if you own an Sti. Warm it up, keep the engine oil clean and full, don't use cheap parts from walmart, and drive it like you stole it once it is warmed up.

I put 24k race miles on mine. The only thing that went out was the coils (known to fail) and the radiator cap (which was my fault entirely after I accidentally hit it replacing a battery). Haven't done a damn thing on it other than spark plugs, oil, alignments, and brake pads. One of the faster times at the local track in stock modified class.

swv.craigslist.org/cto/6119025286.html

One for a thousand, about 3 hours away from me. Pretttttty confident he pulled the engine and didn't put it back, along with pre existing fuck ups.

He's probably just upset that he can't look after a rotary let alone himself

A bmw will drink 1 quart of oil every 500 miles
Any 120hp v8 from the 70s and 80s will drink more fuel
3000 oil changes is fucking nothing when you can do it in 5 minutes without even getting a jack out

Youre just a dumb ass who failed to look after the most basic of cars and is now trying to shift blame from your ineptitude to the car itself

>Waah waah why does this non conventional engine need a $40 adapter to work on stands designed for an entirely different engine type!!!

>hurr engine swap it durr
can somebody explain this meme to me? What's the point of owning a Dorito-spinner if it doesn't have a rotary in it? Why not get one of the millions of other Jap imports that don't use rotaries instead?

The same reason people buy zucchini to put up their Butt
They are faggots

rx8 are seriously cool cars
rotards are 100% right in saying they don't need a swap
with a fraction of LS money you can fix the renesis and have a very light, stupidly agile car

>(guess the car and I'll give out a (you))
Shelby Daytona or Ferrari 250lm

What's up with all the defenders? OP asked to be talked out of getting a RX8, all of the complaints and shitposts here are true whether they're minor or not.

>17189991

But premix is still burning oil? Even if you remove the OMP, you are adding oil to the gas tank and it's getting burned. The engine is literally designed to burn oil.

think 3k shitbox from the 60's

>The engine is literally designed to burn oil.

It needs to for seal lubrication, like a 2 stroke.

Or for the cost of an ls swap you can swap in a 13b-rew with a renesis front cover and retain full oem functionality of the car.

Electronic steering/ac/tcs/dcs/dash, everything would still work after that swap including the oem ecu since the front cover would allow you to use the factory harness, just tune it with an adaptronic piggy back.

they are really fucking cool engines but they've got serious, well-known problems. If you can fix those problems you'll be a very wealthy user and basically a hero in the auto world. The fact that people are still willing to deal with the drawbacks speaks volumes about how amazing these little motors are.