/agdg/ - Aggy Daggy Doo

Chunithm edition!

> Play Demo Day 13!
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-13

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627 (embed)

> Previous Thread
(Cross-thread)

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/rmiZV5yX (embed)

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/LKEdLxdG (embed)

> Engines
Construct 2: scirra.com/construct2
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
LÖVE: love2d.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

This is strangely hypnotic

Well this is something I've never seen before

It's been a good run fellas

let
it
die

how did the last one end so fast

i made a tiny progress on build system abnd thread gone

i have a nutribullet now so i spent the last 2 days blending vegs fruit nuts berries and doing house chores but now i do progress on making cmake copy SDL.dll into the project folder instead of having to do it manually, so that you click

"configure, generate, open project" and then hit the green arrow and it builds and runs

because before after building it would give a .dll error and you have to manually copy in the dll

so this means when i delete everything and reconfigure it goes faster

also now I have a configure option to enable openmp, everything else the same, without it I get 300fps on benchmark, with it I get 1000fps on benchmark,

so openmp is approx 3x speedup on a graphics heavy loop for me

So this is how /agdg/ dies
not with progress, but with two incredibly confusing technical posts

Made a box of coins.

Anyone know how to get multiplayer working on android? There's hardly any tutorials and I'm so lost.

Whoa, haven't seen your game before but I love the aesthetic and animations

Posting progress for survival

>my_sides.png

So.... this is the power ...of nodevs ........... woah.

huh...?

New game. Graphics are all made by me and going to change once the actual code is done. My working title is "Shambles 2", but that's probably going to change too. Shambles 2 because I worked on two text-based predecessors before starting this one, both of which I scrapped due to being shit. First time was because it wasn't modular at all, second time was because text adventures, especially like the one I was making, are pretty shit for [CURRENT YEAR].

It's a zombie-themed RPG. Right now I have only rudimentary combat done, but I have bigger plans for the future. You'll move around a randomly generated map (Basically just scattering some cities, towns, gas stations, etc around the map) with the ultimate goal of building an airplane so you and your friends can escape to safety. The characteristics of the zombie horde will also be randomly generated, with features like attack speed, health, etc, coming down to a coin toss. This is simply so that you'll still have to experiment and observe a little each playthrough. I think this would lend the game a little more of that sense of the unknown, though I'd like to know what you all think.

Base building will be fairly simple, just establish a base and build upgrades for better protection, workshops, storage, and of course, an airstrip for your plane. I plan on keeping the game fairly grounded in reality, with a little bit of a mad science twist. Since the game is set in the UK, firearms will be rare and ammo will be scarce, so you'll need to make use of improvised weapons. For instance, an early game laser SMG that's worse than any proper gun, but feeds from commonly available AA batteries. Grenades and other consumables would be used from the inventory, but I don't have that implemented yet. I'd also like to get a little console on the top left corner for a rolling feed of combat actions.

(Continued)

I keep flitting between 4 different projects, repeatedly deciding that each one is going nowhere but unsure where else to direct my energy.

Kill me.

With the stats system (NYI), you get seven stats, guns, medical, engineering, survival, melee, stealth, charm, and will. Guns, obviously, determines accuracy with firearms. Melee improves melee damage. Medical allows medical items to be more effective. Engineering unlocks new items you can build. Survival increases your health and carry capacity. Stealth reduces the number of zombies that will show up at any one point (Influenced by # of zombies in the area, party size, etc) as well as how likely you are to escape from a fight. Charm is basically Charisma. Buy things for cheaper, pass speech checks. Will is a more general stat and determines leadership potential. Stats are on a 20-point scale and you get 3 points to level up per level. Kill enemies and get loot to gain XP.

One big gimmick is player infection; all characters can become zombies, and gameplay as a zombie will be deeper than most other games. How you did as a human determines how you'll do as a zombie; Survival still directly translates into more health, Medical allows you to resist the infection for longer or spread the virus more potently, Melee lets you hit harder, Stealth lets you get the drop on humans (Effectively reducing the number that show up), Charm lets you "seduce" humans into simply surrendering, and Will determines how much control you have over your zombified character. The idea is that since you're going to be losing the game fairly often, losing the game might as well be a little bit of fun.

(Continued)

Not only am I almost entirely done with the programming aspect of my game, but I'm also almost done with the assets, even though 60% of them aren't my best work. All I need now is another tension-wrench button for the skeumorphic assets.

Your party cannot level up, but you can take skills to improve their effectiveness. At the beginning they will be more than enough, but as the game progresses they will become less useful unless you take the skills to improve them, increasing their health, having them be more accurate, etc. though they will never be as effective as you if you put points into yourself. It's a question of quantity vs. quality. Having heavy lifters in your party simply improves your total capacity. Each individual would have their own randomly generated stats, which are static. Initially they'll be superior to yours, but you'll eventually surpass them.

Each class of weapon has its own upsides and downsides, and there will be plenty of choice between them. You will come into possession of better weapons through the course of the game, either through scavenging bandits, finding them, or making them yourself. Firearms are the best overall weapons, due to their decent damage and accuracy, but ammo can be scarce to come by (This is the UK, remember).

Energy weapons feed off of batteries, which are much more common than bullets, but deal less damage. The classes of energy weapon are "Laser" (Basic weapons, feed from AA-cells, poor damage, ok accuracy), "Gauss" (Poor accuracy, takes custom batteries, mostly shotguns), and "Pulse" (Upgraded lasers, similar but with infinite ammo and needs time for damage to ramp back up).

HE weapons deal mediocre damage to all enemies in the enemy party. AP launchers deal phenomenal damage to one enemy (e.g. Panzerfaust, M72, RPG-7) but have very expensive/rare ammo, or only fire once and cost a lot. They are your emergency use lifelines - use them to save yourself from an overwhelming individual, like armored bandits. Melee weapons depend on your stats for damage, meaning that they're poor early on but excellent later. They also usually have very high accuracy.

(Continued)

the guy above me is an ideaguy. Do not fall for his lies.

Each weapon can have a "mod" attached to alter it (Actually just converting the gun into a different one), like in Battlefield 1. For instance, a Scoped hunting rifle would have more maximum accuracy, but worse accuracy recovery. A Burst Fire assault rifle would have only three shots rather than the standard five for automatics, but quicker accuracy recovery and better accuracy. A Suppressed gun would have worse damage, but improve player Stealth. Things like that.

The two main groups you'll fight are zombies and bandits. As the game progresses, bandits get better weapons and armor while zombies get better melee strength and more health. I'm using both Damage Threshold and Damage Resistance for armor, so the way you'll deal with both will be different. Bandits will also get armored vehicles - jeeps with HMGs, APCs, IFVs, and eventually MBTs. Deal with them using AP launchers, your own armored vehicles, or just by running away. Of course, running will usually have your player character safe, but your friends may not be as lucky. Escape rolls are calculated for each individual, and this applies to both facing zombies and bandits. A friendly may also come back later as a zombie.

I also would like to stress that I don't really have a lot of assets done, I'm mostly focusing on the actual programming side so that I can make or commission superior assets in the future that I can slot into my existing systems. The art style is mostly there because it looks acceptable and is easy and quick to design for.

So, yeah. What do you think about any of these mechanics? The game is made with Pygame, so I'll still need to optimize it pretty aggressively, but for now it works okay.

Get back in your containment discord.

Nobody gives a fuck about your nonexistent game. Fuck off and come back once you got a working build.

Man, fuck you. I have a working demo.

>implying the thread isn't the containment zone

>saying this every time
>implying you can't have multiple levels of containment

reminder that it's very likely the current thread we are posting in is likely to be assaulted by the samefag in about 9 hours from now, googumposting will commence in a similar time and there will be someone who will post "artist here. looking for programmer to work with"

found the nodevs.

Pretending to be retarded is so 2012.

why are you living in the past?

BTFO

While you are not wrong, the values between yellow (0.5?) and blue (0.1 or so) go towards the base color and becomes invisible. Really the face should be connected mouth to eyes.

>His posts are almost exactly 45 seconds apart
You're not even good at samefagging.

>almost
>exactly
You're that type of retard, aren't you?

You mad?

>m-mfw
Stay cucked, nodev

Okay, tension wrench button is done.
My gayme is almost done. Have you ever just like make gayme, Veeky Forums?

>stutter typing
>so mad he can't even remember which picture in his mfw folder is the actual smug one
yeah, he mad

so when did /agdg/ become about people REEing instead of making amateur games

Somewhere between now and 4 years ago.

So when people realized that making games is harder than shitposting?

Exactly

> /agdg/
> Amateur game dev general
> Amateur
No shit

Don't forget that bait gets you more (you)s than actual progress, unless you're an artist and/or pretend to be a girl.

>equating amateur with nodev
be out and stay out

Seanposting should be bannable

Is it difficult to animate 3d models? What is the best tool for this? Is Blender ok?
I feel a bit intimidated by this whole 3d modelling process.

Depends on what you want to animate. Windmills, robots and what not are quite easy. People and animals are quite hard.

get kek'd by
, nodev.

>referring to yourself in the third person
Yeah, you mad.

>What is the best tool for this
That's a very unusual question, I've never heard of anything about programs for 3D animation in regards to what's good for it. I think it's fair to assume that none of them is clearly better than another, but I would suggest against listening any strong opinions on that from the people in here.

Good morning /agdg/!
What are you going to work on today?

what do the pro's use

placeholder art

>still replying
Toppest of the keking keks.
Stay mad, nodev.

Maya and 3DS max mostly.

Anything but Blender

Level design again and probably one new simple enemy

You're not very good at this.

Is Unity good enough to animate mechas?

>being this mad

Getting my old programmer write documentation for my new programmer

Don't animate in unity, don't let the rope win.

But I already know how it works in Unity, more or less, and Blender seems pretty complicated.

>he uses placeholders at any given time

>he doesn't use placeholders until he's done programming, that way he can change the art to fit the code.

I cannot stop thinking about the soundtrack. The music is so intentionally ugly that it becomes memorable. The sounds are aggressive and jarring, but there’s thought put into how aggressive and jarring it needs to be. It reflects what the game has to say about toxic masculine behaviors, and their inherent roots in male insecurity. These kinds of soundtrack metaphors are so god-damn resonant that it leaves me inspired to action.

how to find someone to make music

i have money

In my completely uneducated opinion: Isn't Blender made for animation while Unity only has it as some added on basic feature? Sounds like you'd want to use the program with more options in the long run.

what money do you use?

the kind that gets converted to any currency cause this is the internet

What kind of music do you want? I usually write for Piano, but I know how to use a few software synths.

The thing is, I don't want to animate humans or animals, just mechas and spaceships. And for this Unity could perhaps be good enough.

it's a turn based RPG so you will need to be able to do the JRPG music meme, post soundcloud

>change the art to fit the code
what in the Satan's fiery dickhole does that even mean?

>being so bad that you have to change art based on code

It means your code needs to generate levels using 30x30 sprites and then you change your mind and desire 30x15 sprites because you need a bit more changeability for vertical heights of objects, you tech illiterate moron.

If you don't use proper placeholders until late dev you'll find you're hard pressed to break out of the stupid assumptions you made (born from aforementioned lack of placeholders)

I don't know what the JRPG music meme is. I don't play those. The examples I can find on YouTube are effectively just meh-tier music + default soundfonts. Is that what you want?

>generate levels using [arbitrary size] sprites

say no more, you already deserve to have you fucking hands axed off

meme as in they mostly sound the same, listen to stuff from any final fantasy or tales game

but it's ok, you should actually play many genres of games to get a feel for what kind of music they generally use. i find that a lot of people that try to make game music end up composing things that would never be put in a game (long ass build ups, doesn't loop, etc). it's frustrating.

Because unity is cancer for animation. Blender and other 3D modeling programs have all those features for a reason.

In a City builder / Strategy game similar to Banished or Anno 1404, would you guys find it annoying if Goods & Materials degrade over time while in storage?

Should it only be limited to some things like food or everything like rotting wood etc for added difficulty?

>python

wood in proper storage doesn't fucking rot

I never said anything about 'proper' storage.

What happened to recap guy?

More updates to Gone Homeless.

I need actual end game ideas now, on what the main quest is.

This game is a homeless simulator, so just getting a job might be ok, as you can have things distract from that objective.

Any and every idea I'll check out.

if your peasants leave the logs out in the rain, just because you desperately want to degrade the stockpile, just use the materials for periodic maintenance or some shit.
People knew how to preserve building materials 1000 years ago.

Palettes

Nah man, my art is bad but not that unhuman.

Am I being memed? Recap dude regularly does the recap and yet someone asks this every week.

What issue do you have with Python, faggot?

You could have it so wood in proper storage last forever, and if there's no space left they stack it outside where it degrades. Similarly food in proper storage (salted and sealed) can last for quite a while.
I don't think material degradation would add much difficulty, unless winter is a part of your simulation in which case arranging sufficient food storage might add a bit of difficulty.

>he makes phyton games

Only 5 more minutes until your next class period starts and you can't post anymore. ;^)