/shmupg/ - Shoot 'em Up General

Dead thread dead genre edition

This general is for discussing all shmups/stgs (shoot 'em ups/shooting type games).

Previous thread: Need something to play? Check this shit out: mega.nz/#!mlwG3ZCJ!NMdWxNY4pjqc1vFGwzyPIbtGor0GHObcfENNMgOQW1s

Join us on Steam! steamcommunity.com/groups/shmupg

>RECENT RELEASES:

Ghost Blade HD
store.steampowered.com/app/577910/

Zangeki Warp
store.steampowered.com/app/564040/

Caladrius Blaze
store.steampowered.com/app/386770/

DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu
store.steampowered.com/app/464450/

Mecha Ritz Steel Rondo
store.steampowered.com/app/463070

RefRain
store.steampowered.com/app/435970/

Shmups Skill Test
store.steampowered.com/app/430290/

WITCH-BOT MEGLILO:
store.steampowered.com/app/437020/

Blue Revolver
store.steampowered.com/app/439490/

Danmaku Unlimited 3
store.steampowered.com/app/450950/

>UPCOMING RELEASES:

Xydonia
indiedb.com/games/xydonia

iMalice
amamoriya.gozaru.jp/imalice/

Go Go Burunyanman Ecstasy!!! Steam-Edition
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=660224194

Other links
STG stream aggregator: stgrillz.appspot.com/

/shmupg/ high-score list:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K0DesawgMQiFNMv2MZxxwdjzBudCIMMb3BkjQJaHjxI/edit?usp=sharing

/shmupg/ community YT channel:
youtube.com/channel/UCp2e9X5tR9BLdSlIGjzftDA

Other urls found in this thread:

twitch
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Best in the west

shit meme

good meme

good meme

Has anyone bothered telling him how much of a fucking joke he is yet?

t. shmupg kusoplayer with no wrs

>poojin kusoge
Don't make me laugh mate

>w-well his wr is in a game i don't care about so it's not a wr!
thanks for the laff senpai

>wr in unoptimized poojin is the same as a wr in highly optimized and competitive arcade titles
t. johnson

By not engaging the community and then suddenly proclaiming himself king of shmups, Johnson he sparked the competition he so desires. Truly he is a genius.

yfw he writes a paper about us memeing him

What if Johnson was the one who posted the article here originally? What if becoming a /shmupg/ meme was part of his plan? What if we're all just puppets dancing about with Johnson pulling the strings? What if he played us like a damn fiddle?

but what if he also planned us finding out and going back from it?

>tfw learned how to kill final boss in Reflex much much faster
>tfw chipping the boss actually yields very little score in comparison to extra 3 mil you get for reflect kill
>tfw chipping the boss until his last pattern means you won't be able to kill it with reflected shots, because last pattern is just purple shots and missiles
Fuck I just wanted to 1CC the damn thing and move to a different game, now I don't even know on which pattern I am supposed to kill the boss

>part of his plan?

delet

Brraaaaaap

I wanna play CRS and try to beat Johnson

>dangun feveron will never come to pc
>battle dadregga will never come to pc
>cave will never release another game on pc
>the only upcoming game is bullet soul

tfw you will never be more accomplished than johnson

he has never dropped a medal. true story senpai.

>stage5 boss
>stage5 boss
>stage5 boss
this shit never end

Too bad CCWI has framerate glitches.

Haven't visited /shmupg/ in a few days. Can anyone give me a quick rundown?

that's the only reason he doesn't have the dadregga wr

>tfw no shmups streams

>RefleX Stage 4
>Score for killing the boss: 1 480 000
>Score for damaging the boss: 18 520
In the most optimistic scenario damage score, let's say, could be 100k, when you'll try to NOT reflect any shots back at the boss (except the finishing one), prolonging every fight and putting yourself at risk by minimising shield use
Yeah, fuck this, I'm not Johnson

Two people on twitch are streaming right now actually

I could stream too if I wasn't a kusoplayer

I woke up this morning liking Windia more than I usually do. It's the oddest thing. I hope it stops soon.

you should do some runs with her and stream it

What is a good anime for shmuppers?

gurren lagann, you'll need someone to believe in you

nichijou

>nichijou
this doesn't have anything to do with shmups

Not exactly what I had in mind but I guess I might consider it later.

I've been watching Yu Yu Hakusho lately. I think it's decent but I also like a lot of shounen shit to begin with.

Kill Me Baby is pretty good.

shut up or i'll kick your ass

Idolm@ster

there's a salamander ova series

Old science fiction

Porco Rosso

Holy shit, didn't know about this. Watching right now, looks good.

>just lift the finger off your shield when you're 40 minutes in
I guess I'll beat it tomorrow

is reflex any good? i tried kamui and didn't like it.

It plays quite differently from Kamui and I like it more than Kamui
Though not sure if I should recommend it, because I don't know what you didn't like in Kamui

I like the shield mechanics, it's kinda fun. I like visuals more than in Kamui. One thing is a bit retarded about this game though, there is no life system. You get six hits for stage 1-4, six hits for stages 5-6, and stages 7-8 are one hit game over (though the game is relatively easy survival-wise, unless you make a stupid slip).

>I like the shield mechanics
i liked judgement silversword

I haven't played Judgement Silversword but from what I can find, they have somewhat different mechanics

Basically in RefleX there are some projectile types that can either be canceled or reflected while your shield is up, and the only way to (temporary) raise your multiplier is to kill enemies with reflected shots, and your normal shot hits give you score/prolong your multiplier. So this game wants you to actively run into enemy fire.

this game is retarded, how people can clear million loops

What is the highest legit x-ALL a game has (increased difficulty and/or new bosses/patterns). I think some games loop infinitely but don't necessarily increase in difficulty each time.

Final Boss

Gradius loop 1000 by Johnson

johnson is the best meme we've ever had

only johnson himself could have made such a great meme

I got DDP:DFK, what mode should I start with first? Normal 1.51?

novice

I've played DDP before

fucking perikles, he collect 1cc's every day like nothing special

1.5 strong style or BL bomb style

>mame
Probably cheating

>Johnson was the secret scorer all along

Outzone 6-ALL, Gradius 8-ALL, Raiden II/DX Expert are now "basic" clears

because he hasn't played any games with medals in them

>DoDonPachi
twitch tv/gunnerstg

fucking johnson raising the standards

>tfw slowly but surely all your stage 3s are pushed off by the leaderboard which are then pushed off by stage 4s and so on

Is Mamorukun Curse! any good? Flash sale on PSN right now and it is 1.49usd

>$1.49
>G.rev
>Yousuke Yasui
no idea but i'd buy it instantly for that price if it were available on pc

should i go for Vulkaiser WR? seems like nobody have even cleared it on super hard.

hell yeah, do it champ

>super hard
there are scores for it on the leaderboard

i always forget about steam leaderboards, they are so carefully hidden. damn that won't be easy to beat, but remember, anything that isn't on youtube or shmupsfarm doesn't exist!

in all fairness, none of johnson's games have steam leaderboards.

do you think johnson foresaw the reaction to his world championships

he really stirred up the bee hive

it's hard to say. he seems to be disconnected from the community. if you read some of the stuff he wrote it seems he specifically picked games to play where he thought he could get the wr.

i think at least one of them has xbla leaderboard, though i doubt there are as much cheaters on xbox as there are on steam, but top score in Vulkasier doesn't seem to be that much higher than other clears, i'll do it for johnson.

>i think at least one of them has xbla leaderboard
yeah, and i'd imagine he is on top of it. or at least was at the time of posting his article. i don't know anything about the game but it looks like geometry wars.

>To get the record I watched videos on YouTube to learn the strategies of top danmaku players, I read design analyses of the genre, and I anonymously browsed the internet's largest "shoot-em-ups" or "shmups" forum (of which bullet hells are the most challenging kind) for tips and ideas. This taught me not just about the game, but about the communities of players who enjoyed bullet hells, which included a few Western players and a surprisingly high percentage of women.
Not only is he completely disconnected, he's stupid enough to think that niggers with anime avatars are actually girls.

Why would you use a female avatar if you're not a girl? Dumbass

I'm a grill btw

>(of which bullet hells are the most challenging kind)
this triggers the kraut

>this triggers the kraut
this triggers the kraut

UN squadron is based on manga Area 88 which also has few anime adaptations
sci-fi shmups also draw heavily from Gundam

wtf is this casual racism

>he thinks german is a "race"

>fucking perikles, he collect 1cc's every day like nothing special
Autistic germans are quite the force i mean more autistic than average germans.

Who else here has taken the Raidenpill?

>one of the few modern shmups based on manly mech ships, no faggy anime or waifushit pandering
>tests and hones pure ability to reflex dodge rather than work out a pre-made route through slower-than-molasses bullets
>fast aimed bullets are for manly men only, slow-moving blobular bullets are for homosexes with inferior skill and taste
>raiden devs are in direct communion with thor, protector of mankind and guarantor if manly shmup-making
>konami bows to the raiden devs; who do you think convinced konami to permanently shelf gradius, parodius, and twinbee?
>raiden has the best curved homing lasers in all shmups, which makes all bitches instantly moist
>raiden music is second only to thunder force in manliness, not to mention would be a fitting soundtrack to any sufficiently manly activity, unlike osts like every caveshit game which is more apt to be a backing track to a gay rodeo
>due to the fewer bullets on the screen you have an opportunity to get to know each individual bullet better
>bullets are the same color and shape as score pickups which assists in separating the true niggas from the weak ass crabniggas
>no fish are to be found anywhere in raiden games
>no gothic lolis are to be found anywhere in raiden games
>raiden v will literally never see the light of day on any platform other than xbone, which adds to its hipster appeal for the refined gentlemen of appropriately cultured taste

Raiden's good if you're suffering from insomnia, guaranteed to fall asleep before you reach level 3

>muh homing lasers 'done right'

i've play raiden 1 for few credits recently, it's really good, though the checkpoint system in old shmups is just brutal.

>you will never be rich enough to buy an xbone and arcade stick just to play raiden 5

>one of the few modern shmups based on manly mech ships
wew