Starting a Car Company

So, if I started on course for making a small sporty car company with the idea to compete in the Evo/STI/Focus RS market with the intention to compete in rallies yet still make a WRX/STI Lancer/EVO model of sorts (being a lower end comfortable model and a higher end performance model [with possibly something equivalent to an Evo FQ400 rare highest end model)] would you guys give it a chance?

Idea behind the cars would be to have the safety of a volvo/saab, reliability of a Suby (stereotypical Subie, not actual Subies ;) ), and maneuverability of an Evo. With extensive endurance testing both on and offroad (hard driven)

A linear line of the main model (Evo 1-10 for example, instead of just different years of an STI or various typed names like the 911s) with modified variants of the models in the form of sub numbers. (Example: Evo 8 Mod 0)

Something me and a friend plan on doing in a few years. We both are going through with Mechanical engineering degrees and have a heavy passion in cars, we are fairly sure we want to do the design of the car and its systems ourselves for the most part.

, just wanted your guys' thoughts, opinions, and possibly help via suggestions. , just wanted your guys' thoughts, opinions, and possibly help via suggestions.

Other urls found in this thread:

dpcars.net/dp1test/dh.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sleep on an idea before you post next time.

sure, if you have literally hundreds of millions of dollars to invest and tons of connections in auto manufacturing, marketing, etc

the McRae R4 already exists why would I buy whatever deathtrap you're making?

Leave the starting of the business technicalities to me. ;)

t.NEET autismo

Make a slightly bigger R56 hardtop cooper. With a 6cyl mounted amidships.
Bring back square lights.

>Idea behind the cars would be to have the safety of a volvo/saab, reliability of a Suby (stereotypical Subie, not actual Subies ;) ), and maneuverability of an Evo. With extensive endurance testing both on and offroad (hard driven)
While this is an excellent idea I feel someone of your considerable talent would be better off tackling the problem of flying cars, or maybe one that turns into a submarine.

>hey guys are you interested in an econobox

no, make something like in the link

dpcars.net/dp1test/dh.htm

Issue with those is the fact it'd be difficult to sell a varient of them to the average consumer market, I know the Lancer hasent been doing well in the US/Euro market, but the WRX has.

Issue with flying cars is the fact of how completely useless they would be, I mean you can already get personal helicopters. A flying car would take a lot of energy, and if that energy were to short out or cut off down goes the car. Not to mention as of current they would be loud as shit. Also considering how many accidents happen on the road every year, would you really trust the majority of the population with piloting a flying car? I dont think so sir.

4-6 cylinder is the plan, but probably going to have a limit to 2.0 unless WRC standards change.

As for square lights, we plan on fully embracing and promoting aftermarket companies and maybe even give funding if we like something. So its very possible box lights will be available.
Another thing I didnt mention was the plan to have nearly all models have the ability to change the dif power ratio between the rear and front wheels whenever you want, as well as ride comfort and height whenever you want.

We also plan to always (yes, always) have the option for tradition, as in no matter the model a manual transmission will be available. Not to mention trying to stick with analog steering feel as much as possible.

you will never be able to compete againts toyota, honda, nissan or GM

You have to be 18 years old to post here

There had better be a 5-door model, and the AWD had better be full-time either equal or rear-biased. Not the shit that Ford pulled with the RS.

>daydreaming thread

>Issue with flying cars is the fact of how completely useless they would be, I mean you can already get personal helicopters. A flying car would take a lot of energy, and if that energy were to short out or cut off down goes the car. Not to mention as of current they would be loud as shit. Also considering how many accidents happen on the road every year, would you really trust the majority of the population with piloting a flying car? I dont think so sir.
Well it seems like you thought of everything. While my dreams have been dashed once again it's clear to me that with your vision and foresight you will likely produce one of the greatest cars ever made.

As an aside did you consider the submarine car?

Planning to push boundaries all the time and as much as possible as well, sort of like a Koenigsegg of the sporty everyday car market.

Hence why production only happens upon request of a consumer, sort of like how Tesla is handling stuff. Not planning to compete and take over, just to have a business of something people would appreciate and live with enough money to consider myself successful.

Selective traction and stability control of course. Always AWD and full selectivity for the bias, probably a limit to force at least 10% power to an end to ensure safety and not forcing me to innovate with quite an expensive lockout system for a dif.

Sub car would inherently mean silly people assuming i'm producing emissions underwater, and therefore hurting the coral reefs. Would be teared to shreds by protesters despite not actually doing anything harmful. -.- Also thats a very niche market as it turns out.

>production by demand

its even more expensive than mass production

You have no idea just how expensive is it to make a car, specially if you want a semi-automated facility, just think about it, taxes, certifications, crash tests, emissions and so on

it's miles easier to make a limted supercar, like a Radical, a BAC, or something like Factory Five

>Selective traction and stability control of course
Meaning a toggle switch to disable? Stays disabled after ignition cycle? Sounds good if so.

I like your vision. If it ever happens, and I'm not too poor, I'd consider it.

>Also thats a very niche market as it turns out.
You'd be surprised. I know several people that would love to be able to make discrete undersea commutes for whom money is not an issue.

By demand is indeed more expensive, in the same way buying in bulk is cheaper.

Thing is by demand almost always guarantees the sale, in bulk a company can go without selling half the cars, essentially wasting them and having to spent money and resources on recycling them.

Of course a toggle switch, a physical button that gets clicked in/out closing/opening a diode. So it should stay how it was after an ignition cycle.

>Of course [...]
I like you.

Huh, I mean they already have options though, but I'm fairly sure they are all open top :\

I mean given an air sealed interior and a very strong chassis it wouldnt hurt to experiment. hehe

Actually hosting competitions for the youngins to innovate would be a great way to improve popular liking and respect.

Thats good, improving peoples opinions means they are more willing to send money forth.

This reminds me of this story I wrote years ago inspired by some crazy shit I seen rally mechanics doing to get the cars back on the road.

The story was about a pit crew of inventive yet rowdy australians who manage to get their piece of shit car into a top 5 position in a really hectic WRC event but the're quickly disqualified due to their modifications to the car being outside the paramaters of the wrc ruling. After being disqualified and being dropped by their sponsors they are approached a wealth Sikh prince who wants to create a car to represent saudi arabia in the WRC. something better than abu dhabi rally. So with this princes money they develop this balls to the wall, no bullshit rally car to compete in the next wrc event. Buy before they enter it they test it out on the pike peak hill climb, dakar rally and do a tv spot on an overland excursion from london to shanghai.

After all of this testing they finally develop their car for amalgamation by building each car themselves in some shitty factory in australia. They loose connection with the prince who seems to be dealing with some personal issues and has been put on a no fly list as it has been revealed that he has supported a militant group in arghanistan. He sends a final check to support a wrc season and finish the the 200 models to get accepted. They do all sorts of crazy shit to build the 200 cars on a shoestring budget and sell them for dirt cheap in the outback as overland vehicles with decent clearance, reliability and amazing gas mileage due to the small engines.

This is really dragging on so i'll close in saying that they did well in the first couple events in the WRC but the budget couldn't be sustained with the amount of rebuilding and reworking they had to do on the car. But with their success in the previous rallies and their do good style they managed to make a reputation for themselves and the original WRC team who fired them for the illegal modifications puts up the money to finish the WRC season and progress with another prototype.

The idea i had for the car was a 2 door, 2 seater with awd from a behind the front axel engine, similiar to the style of a miata if it had AWD. Everything in the suspension would be adjustable to turn it from a track car to an offroading warrior capeable of rockcrawling by simply adjusting the suspension setup. Everything would be setup with ease of access in mind. It would take all but a screwdriver and a wrench to take apart all of the suspension components. The interior would be no frills and be focused on the driver as much as possible, similar to a mazda rx-7 interior where everything is pointed towards the driver.

Hard testing and weeding out the weaknesses of the vehicle wouldn't be expensive either for the most part.

Already own land in Alaska, and am already buying more with a packed dirt runway, the plan is to pave it for a test track of sorts, and test the cars sort of how rally schools test their students, constant driving in the forest and on the pavement. Paying someone to drive hard for hours on end wont be a big deal, its a single employee to pay. And come hard endurance driving comes problems, problems in areas we can continue to improve upon.

Starting out chances are we are going to be getting engines from another manufacturer of course. But eventually to start production of our own power plants wont end up being too difficult considering me and my friend are already willing to design them on our own time. Materials and material shaping takes one of each machine, not mass producing is how we keep the costs of the engines down (for ourselves) as well. (I know that seems like an oxymoron)

I'd like to hear more about this. Already quite interesting from what you've wrote. I mean the plan behind this isnt going all out and buying factories from the start, we're planning on working up in our own garages with already made shells, testing and trying new shit.

Hold competitions for growing engineers, invitational parties and "experiences" like what Michelin did recently, I'm sure Keanu Reeves would be excited to drive fast and test a new drivers car)

Maybe plan things like hybrid tech'd street models, on the low end like the i8, probably not going to get to new NSX tier unless its just a limited production model that would be interesting for popular appeal. Maybe experimenting with offroad hybrid tech? Offroad EV testing?

If we end up with a full testing circuit we plan to open it to the public on occasion for an extra bit of profit, fun, and reputation. Sort of like hosting a Hondaday or some shit.

Planning on having variants though the base would be a sedan we plan on adding variants of which are wagon, hatch, coupe (maybe), and possibly a fastback version.

And hell, if possible attempt to make friends with other small car companies.

engineering the car is the easiest shit ever, finding investors, marketing and selling it is the difficult part

>mfw a STEMlord thinks his career choice is difficult

Post concept art at the very least

>sort of like a Koenigsegg of the sporty everyday car market.
Oh cool, I didnt know you were a genius with some of the best engineers in Europe, this changes everything

Where are you guys from I'm starting an automotive engineering degree in September let me make money with you

Stfu you neet faggot, I'd be surprised if you even have a high school education or whatever equivalent in your 3rd world

>this assmad
found the STEMlord

>he didn't do finance
lmao enjoy being a loser

Yeah well sharing the idea behind how we're planning on doing it is somthing though right?

Yes, not in that way but because we're planning on continueing to push boundries.

Alaska, lowering to the lower 48 may happen.

Also the thing behind:
>engineering the car is the easiest shit
Is the fact that we arent just looking to make a profit and sell cars like say Kia, but rather make a vehicle that is actually very well engineered. A car to be admired by those who love the idea that a machine can do what it does, an inspiration for innovation and an example of what humankind can do. Money is nice though.

Also its proven that a Weeb is guarenteed to be someone who thinks they know what they dont. ;)

also >tumblr

>OP
>mplying anyone doesn't know what they claim they do

and he said he will make them to order!!

Ya got me

Also you keep a close eye on the threads you're in eh? That was quite a quick reply.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but mind you, the auto industry is the most powerful industry in the world, even more than oil.

It is nearly impossible to get a foot in unless you offer something new; in the case of Tesla, being the newest big auto company, they offer high quality fully electric cars. They cashed in on the trend of eco-friendliness and offered something no one else was doing.

Point being, you had better offer something outlandish and non replicable, find investors who believe in your mission, build some first models, test the demand, and other steps

If you are wanting to make a car, you may have a better chance of joining a current car company by promising to make a new model and that you and your friend would be in charge.

Expect to spend $150,000,000 and earn $0

Yeah we know its not a newcomer friendly industry, and we're expecting to take it slow.

We have pondered and talked about getting footholds in other companies but the issue with that is they can be quite strict and if production costs get high enough they can shut you down instantly. We have also talked about being an aftermarket car company at first, much like Saleen or much smaller in the form of RWB (though with performance packages)

We're expecting a sort of niche market, and arent planning on making big money fast or anything, we are expecting a struggle, but also expecting to be working a job somewhere while at the same time doing the first steps of car production and testing on our own time. Nothing difficult about paying someone minimum wage for driving a car fast all day until it breaks.

Also as for the passion that we currently have, we've had it for quite awhile and it isnt seeming to die out, so hopefully we will keep going strong when the time comes to actually start making the car.

Will you be able to put it out before self driving cars are mainstream and electric cars are ubiquitous?

Well the plan is to ALWAYS have options. No idiotic removal of features, but an option to remove and replace.

For example, the comfort model will have having self driving tech as standard, but if you want to remove it you can (for reduced cost as well of course) Same goes for stick shift and such.

As for EV and hybrid tech, experimentation is always going to happen.

The demand for non-autonomous cars is always going to be alive. Over time less would be on the street, but the same people who want sporty cars want to drive those sporty cars.

Well then if you want to keep costs down for the early stages, be extremely good at welding, cutting, and reshaping metal.

It may sound primal but, before you reach the stage where you would have heavy machinery to do specific jobs, hand crafting all of the parts you need is how some of the greatest inventions were made.

If you and your friend have a strong passion for this, then you'll probably do well.

I do like your idea

>wants to make a car company
>-.-
underage?

Yeah, I plan on expanding on my welding ability, and I do think the best thing to do is hand crafted vehicles until (if) we end up actually making money.

Thank you, glad to know at least one human being is willing to give the idea a chance, come one come many. (hopefully)

Yeah, next year I'll be 10 and really be able to expand on my ideas.

>For example, the comfort model will have having self driving tech as standard, but if you want to remove it you can (for reduced cost as well of course) Same goes for stick shift and such.
GOOD
FUCKING
LUCK
kek
you've allready failed.

>itt bunch of 19 year old faggots who haven't even finished the course, let alone had ANY experience AT ALL or ANY connections plan to make a car company by buying a packed runway and BUILDING their own test track to test their own WELL ENGINEERED production by demand vehicles that they build by welding everything themselves by hand and they plan to compete with subaru and mitsubishi

top kek.
I haven't seen shit this retarded ever since I started reading what Mrcummy was posting

Well I'm already buying the land this week, it already has what i'd consider a perfectly fine test area, and I already drive fairly hard with used cars and try to improve them on my current land anyway.

I'm sure we can all agree well engineered machines take time, effort, and failures.

As for competing with Mitsu, they're already dead. (very sadly)

You'll never make it unless you're insanely rich.

And if you were insanely rich you wouldn't do it since you're smarter than that.

Look OP, no matter how bad it ends up, please keep us updated

>production only happens upon request of a consumer
How do you plan on doing this? You won't have the capital for automated production, and you can't get trained professionals on a 'we need a car built RIGHT NOW but can't guarantee you'll get any work next month or the month after' basis. All you'll get is illegal immigrants and work experience kids.

I'm not sure I read this correctly. Are you intending to design your own car or mod models you've specified? I don't know how much it would cost to do your own designing and production but I am willing to bet that you can't afford it since you are on Veeky Forums asking for opinions.

I think what you should do is come up with a name of your business and offer modding services. But you would have to show some sort of record. Do some test and tunes to your own builds. Take pictures, enter them in shows, attend track events and document your place. Make adjustments where necessary. Only after that would someone with half a brain give you their car to fuck with.

I own a rotary engine and I don't go anywhere near a person who claims they can repair it unless I see pictures and video of them racing one. I also play dumb and ask them to give me a run down on a list of traditional troubleshooting problems ranging from coils, to oil pressure, to heat management. If they make the answers clear to what I already know, then I will give them my car. You may think I'm a pompous fuck for thinking this way, but I've had my car damaged more times than I can count by varying pretenders.

Shit, if you could get this kind of shop up and running, I may even apply to help you one day.

I'll try, especially if I go bankrupt.

Well the starting years we wont have any actual employees, so that simplifies that. As for later on, think of Pagani and how they're doing it, their employees arent always making another Zonda/Huayra.

Well the end plan is to be our own company that makes our own cars, as a startup thing however we're thinking about modding models to make a reputation if possible.

Making an example and sending it to shows, and getting it to be known is a great idea actually, thanks for helping fill that bit of my mind.

I dont think you're pompous at all, even here in Alaska I get people claiming they are rotary gods yet have never owned a rotary. But I definitely understand what you're saying, I already dont trust people around my cars.

Nice to know another life form is willing to join in on what is now just a concept. Hell, one day if it all works out you might be apart of it.

Going to bed, will get back to replies tomorrow.

theres no way. Even if you had more than 2 people with extensive knowledge about every mechanic in a car , your cars are going to be way too expensive. Unless you go into the ultra luxury sector where people will pay more than what a car is worth, you wont sell. Plus even if you do go to that ultra luxury market... you wont have a reputation. You need capital, and lots of it. Tesla w/ Musk, had lots of money and an appealing idea. And quite a few Japanese companies entered in the car market since they wanted money. I think toyota did textiles before.

Have you considered suicide? I mean, is not actually you're giving him any advice, you're just being extremely retarded. This is not the thread of "hey, I don't know how to drive I wanna be a professional racer". This seem a much more thought process that could very well work. Could it be financially successful? Unlikely. Could it work? Yes.

> This seem a much more thought process that could very well work.

fuck you.
Want to achive something and plan it on Veeky Forums? Get ready to be bullied all the way through it.
Once you achived it? Get ready to be bullied by people who are jello.
if you want hugbox reddit is that way

this kid roleplaying a car manufacturer holy shit

if you ever make it i'll be sure to apply to an engineering position, citing this thread
i have some background in the 2 wheels world, but would love to work on a small company again

Interesting thread OP. Got any concept art?

>is capable of creating a car manufacturer
>asks advice on Veeky Forums
hahaha

Worth a shot. If you're serious, post again once you start soliciting investors; I'd be down.

>Well the starting years we wont have any actual employees
So how will you make anything? Contracting it out to other places? You do not get trained engineers available for temp contracts, and god forbid anyone need spares.

Yup, again we're expecting a challenge and going to have fallback measures, of course we're not going to quit our jobs to focus solely on making this thing work out. Hopefully we will get lucky when it comes to self marketing and wont have to fallback to anything.

Yeup, we have actually put quite a bit of consideration into it, for more than a couple of years. Its not JUST a daydreaming thread. Just wanted to share it all with you guys.

Think we all inherently should expect some negativity, though this thread I seem to be doing a good job in quelling some peoples negative thoughts on the topic.

/me applause's at the first car off the production line.

Appreciate the consideration, keep an eye on new car companies from America. You should know us when you see us.

As for the cars design itself I'd have to get it from my friend, he's done a couple of drawings based on all of this. I'm a terrible artist, but decent at keeping functioning bits functioning. Give me until tomorrow, I'm sure I could get some then/ (No promises)

Asking everyone from various diverse demographics can only be a good thing when it comes to recognition. Plus I assumed you Veeky Forumsmigos would get a kick out of this. Turns out I was correct for the most part, turning ammusement into interest.

Sure thing, as things kick off i'll be sure to talk about it on here.

Hopefully for the most part the product will be hand built by me and my partner, parts of course will be bought and used.

>working a job somewhere
>while also trying to engineer your own car
Hahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhaahahah don't worry OP I remember when I was 16

hol up senpai imma see if i can throw you some shit form my daydreams folder
whatcha want, hatchback, sedan, coupe?

Modding existing cars is how Tesla got its start. But I don't think there's room for another Tesla. Maybe another 911 restomodder.

I gotta be honest, I have never keked harder reading a thread then I am reading through this one. It blows my mind that people are even entertaining this idea as if OP knows what he's talking about

Got the land, time, and money. Just remember this thread when/if I file for bankrupcy.

Throw whatever out there.

Yeah, same deal for Saleen, and Shelby. Another idea is to make an example and sort of function like Raliart, take on the rally division for another larger company. KTM, Morgan, Caterham, BAC, and the other track day manufacturers pretty much all started with building their own shit for a weekend track run. Sort of the same premise here.

Thats good you're getting a giggle out of it. Reminds me of the people who got a giggle about the idea of going to space. ;) Getting something out of it is more than nothing my friend.

where you going to get the 250 million for R&D?

Self R&D testing my friend. Not expecting to do big tech jumps just yet.

autism

Car manufacturing as an industry has one of the highest fixed costs to entry between regulations you have to comply with and, you know, actually obtaining the materials to make the car, incredibly strong competition from manufacturers, and without massive investment is really difficult to sell a product.

I mean look at Tesla. Tons of talented engineers, gov subsidies, and a ton of investment for cheap because of Elon Musk hype and the tech bubble, yet it STILL can't turn a profit. By the way the only reason Elon Musk could even make that company is because he was already really rich from Paypal.

Think of it this way, what new car manufacturer in the last 10 years other than Tesla have you seen rise up???? Exactly.

That being said, I mean if you have a good idea for a car maybe you could build it, show it off at a track and then offer to sell the design to a manufacturer when you get their attention?. Something like that sounds a lot more viable than making your own car company.

It would make more sense to do something like RUF to subies and Evo's...

Then form there you can build your own custom car.

Firstly.
>instead of just different years of an STI
You know they had versions for the STi, right?

Secondly:
Oh man, you mouth breathing MechE's make other engineers look bad. Have some self control.

Well to be fair Tesla is making a profit now.

But yeah, we're not going to outright start a full on car company. The plan is to make something and basically be something like RUF. And when its viable become a full blown company. (hopefully)

Ah RUF is the perfect example of this idea in reality. Thank you for bringing them to mind.

Yes I know there have been plenty of versions, though the main line names themselves just by the year alone, unlike Evos who have a linear model system.

As for Mecheneers do you have any examples of shitty ones making other engis look bad? Fairly sure aeronautical and astronomical engineers dont give engis a bad name. Though I love them all so I suppose I'm bias and blind in that regard.

Correction to Tesla statement I made, they have made a profit a couple of times. But yes it isnt very steady as of now. Apologies.

If you knew anything about building a car you wouldn't be posting here pitching ideas to absolute retards.

t. Electronics and powertrain in a Formula SAE team.

oh wow, you hooked a motorcycle engine to a chinese lsd, tell me more about how to buld a car

stay in the kiddie pool, where you belong

STEMsperg fight!!!

>connections
not just asking the best people in the industry to work for you for more money. Fucking socialist reeeeeeeee

Can't say I believe you'll make it, but godspeed, OP. Keep us updated if you do somehow manage to get this shit going.

you're better off making your own versions of cars that exist like shelby did, you aren't going to innovate new amazing tech with your neet bux.

buy a c5 corvette and strip it to its frame and get a rusted out boomer and retro that to it.

>Hopefully for the most part the product will be hand built by me and my partner

Do you actually have any technical skills, or is your only qualification a degree in engineering?
Because churning out identical parts one after another is a skill you have to learn.If everything's a one-off, you're literally throwing away over a century of advancement.

Low volume high profit works for so few car companies.

McLaren, Ferrari, Koenigsegg are the only successful independent manufacturers who follow that plan. And even then they lean on established automakers for parts if not wholely owned outright.

So just so be clear, you want to make a race car, in a series based on compact hatchbacks, to sell for the street detuned with full interiors?

I don't think you thought your cunning plan through.

You'd be better advised to start a company modding a Ford Focus or other platforms that the market can bear. If it works out and you make enough money, then build the cars from the ground up.

Someone already tried, remember the Prodrive P2. The only difference is Prodrive is a legendary race car building outfit with tons of resources, knowledge, and capital, instead of a weaboo with $600 and a high school diploma, and they still failed.

They didn't try, they just chose not to put the car into production because motorsport is more profitable.

Consider using Kickstarter. Some people collected hundreds of thousands of dollars usig it.

Why not start by doing mod work for people with these types of vehicles? Manufacturing is incredibly expensive, and there's an incredible amount of work to do to even start producing your first one.

I don't know if you have a lot of experience with parts or these types of cars in general, but it might be good to start by actually working on them. If you get good, you could start marketing your mods and work.

Yeah. Mod imprezas for vapebros.

Basically make a car that's fun. And looks good.

If FSAE is the kiddy pool feel free to put bread on racecar and offer some real advice instead of sniping anonymously.

>No Self-Driving plug-in electric cars

You already fucked up OP, because that's all anybody fucking wants anymore.

"Performance Cars" and the "Art of Driving" are dead.

Don't forget that he can't spell.

>Hopefully for the most part the product will be hand built by me and my partner, parts of course will be bought and used.

Have you fabricated any parts before?

Are either of you on an FSAE team?

So you're going to have time to engineer a car and put in thousands of hours of test driving and other tests of every other system in the car while building all the parts yourself?
jej.

Nah everybody knows that FSAE is kiddie pool stuff :^)

How much money you got?

Hint: not enough