I'm currently stationed in CA right now and today I took my car to Autozone to run a scan and the guy told me they...

I'm currently stationed in CA right now and today I took my car to Autozone to run a scan and the guy told me they couldn't do that. I asked and he said "it's law". I literally couldn't believe him until I got back and confirmed it to be true.

What. The fuck.

Fuck this state and everyone in it.

Take it to another place to get it checked. My mechanic does it for free all the time (for me it's usually O2 sensor but he has to reset it)

You're a trained killer OP. Kill them. Kill them all.

Then order a Bafx Bluetooth reader and the Torque app.

Why does this law exist?

What is the law?

to fuck you because liberals
go on amazon and get a scan tool for $5. if you have android get a bluetooth elm327 and get torque pro for your phone.

I've had them do this to me in nc where it is certianly not against the law. They probably just don't feel like it and they are using that as an excuse to blow you off.

that guy was lying to you for some reason

it is 100% not illegal to read codes from your car

>letting a vatozone fuck with you like that

ok in all seriousness, they probably kept having their shit stolen everytime they lent it out so they dont do it anymore.

HNNGGGG!!!!!

What is the best reader? Torque app legit?

>beforeandafterreaching30.jpg

slavs, lmao

Cite the actual law.

If it does exist, I'll venture a wild guess that any business touching anything related to vehicle emissions equipment has to have a certified technician do it.

What is the best reader?

Just get the cheapest dogle you can find. All the ones...ALL OF THEM...are the exact same product with different stickers on them. Torque is good. Its what I use.

It is a law I work their

It's law, trust me. California is THAT big of a shithole. They don't want people knowing that there's anything wrong with their emissions until after a smog test.

Use them on anything or stuck to one car?

>I asked and he said "it's law". I literally couldn't believe him until I got back and confirmed it to be true.

Some ridiculous laws exist because of lobbying by corporations or the lobbyists they hire. During the president bush junior era, the republicans protected the beef industry companies (not the people) by outlawing testing of all cattle for mad cow disease. Some beef ranchers wanted to test 100% of their own cattle and pay for it out of their own pockets. But the federal government stepped in and prevented those ranchers from testing their cattle because 100% testing could cause public fear to force the other ranchers to also test 100% of their beef when they didn't want to. Thus it infringed on the rights of those other ranchers to not want all their beef tested.

>Use them on anything or stuck to one car?
wut?

The dongle can be put on and taken off m8.

It's not liberals, you moron. It's just lobbying by the dealers.

So it doesn't get married or whatever to the car it is used on... cool.

I have a cheap ass bluetooth Bafx reader. Does live scan data and has a lot of neat features, only issue is that it doesn't fit snugly on the obd2 port. IMO it's retarded to drive out to autozone or a shop just to get codes read when you can do it from the comfort of your driveway.

quads confirm

liberals win

This far into the thread and still no link to the actual law.

>in California
>Questioning authority

Be prepared to be v&, m8.

this
its dealerships and repair shops that weren't getting paid for an hour of work for a 5 min job of plugging in a scanner and pressing a few buttons

This. Can someone just post the law? I went to autozone and they gave me the scanner to do it myself. Its not hard you guys. Just Google the code you get. Better yet just buy the scanner yourself. Even if you don't work on your own car that's a staple of any glove box.

>Buy OBD2 scanner
>Check the error code yourself