Were the 70's the worst period for cars in general...

Were the 70's the worst period for cars in general? I feel like the 80's redeemed everything for how bad of a decade it was. Prove me wrong.

90's>00's>80's>70's>>>Auto driving 2050's

>Dear diary
>Today OP was not especially heterosexual
>The end

>Opel
>Heterosexual

Just because americans couldn't figure out how to make a strong engine that has some semblence of fuel economy doesn't mean it was a bad decade for cars.

Ahem

It was only a bad decade for American cars.

Best generation coming though

Actually even American cars were still somewhat cool at the time, but you had to avoid the ones that immediately went down the drain.

the 70s were great

only America made complete shit
their cars were still awful until the 2010s too

the 80s were like the 70s but worse in general

Theres a good amount of American cars that looked cool. I dont know about gas mileage but who gives a fuck only euros are so assblasted about gas mileage.

they performed like ass in every category

straight lines
handling
stopping
comfort
economy

the cars were so bad it ruined the American car industrys reputation for 40 years

if youre shallow enough to like the shitty American styling of the time and live with that then go for it

Life is shallow.

They performed really well in looking cool as shit to me. Who cares about any of that I miss that styling. Also aren't these cars piss easy to work on. I d rather have that than a car full of expensive as shit electronics.

I love land barges and even I recognize the 70's was shit dude. There were only a few with truly good styling, and they took giant two-ton vehicles from the 60's and put gutless engines in them that get embarassed by today's econoboxes AND got shit fuel economy. If I'm gonna get 12mpg I'd rather it be because my engine makes 300-400 horsepower, not because 150hp is trying to pull 4500 pounds up a slight incline.

What car is that?

lifes what you make it hombre

life is only shallow for those who are shallow

ok grandpa

electronics arent that complicated if you dont want to take the time to learn how to fix something more advanced than antique tech can you even call yourself a car enthusiast?

cant believe people actually lust after malaise design

70's cars had best aesthetic, comfiest interior and best body designs using coke bottle styling and fuselage.

the only thing bad was emissions and fuel economy

Are electronics expensive or not?
Are these cars piss easy to work on or not?

The 70's were great

Only europeans made shit cars
Except they've always made shit cars

>comfiest interior
Clearly you've never been in a mid 70s full size GM with single piece hard plastic door panels.

its fine
lots of cool cars to pick from
and there was still plenty of stuff from the 1960s laying about

>get this
>learn to read
>read it

not that hard

only a few parts are expensive but its more reliable and efficient than a carb so it shouldnt be too much of a problem

kek

burger got triggered

Are they piss easy to work on or not?
>only a few ok buddy

It's a Ford Fairmont XC

falcon xb

Yes. Detroit's Big Four had to deal with the sudden impact of the 1973 oil embargo making people care about gas prices. European and Japanese makers saw an opportunity to gain a foothold in America, but how many 70s Hondas do you see on the road today? Even the mighty must start out weak.
I would say 90s>80s>50s>60s>70s.

if youre too retarded to read then yeah

maybe you should stick to your 1800s technology before you fuck up a good car

It's the exact opposite though. European cars were good from the factory. The only thing that even potentially raised American cars above complete horrid shittiness were copious amounts of mods. From the factory they were all weak, lethargic, fuel thirsty, cost-cut shitbarges full of cheap materials compared to previous years.

i was talking more about the seats and driving position. the arm rests are just arm rests, its pretty negligible imo its just an elbow shelf

good paint and comfy interior

land barges for all

Maybe stock

kek

>but muh mods

you can modify any car

youre just polishing a turd

American cars are truly the worst

advanced aerodynamics
like gurney flap but upside down

Vans with qts for all!

If thats so then why are most modded 70's cars American?
Where are all the modded brit and jap cars like stated?

am I really going to have to dump all the VWs Datsuns Mazdas Toyotas Hondas MGs Triumphs BMWs Porsches and shit that were modded back then in America

they were only the most modded in America because theyre cheap turds you can polish up easily

>tfw most van qts break global rule 5

1+ for blatant advertising

They didn't have to be modded, they were already good.

On a more serious note: Because for one foreign cars were more diverse in brands and models and also because modding wasn't as common abroad, so they had less of an aftermarket than American cars where everything had the same engine in it and was sold by the millions. But you're going to ignore this factual information or put words in my mouth because you're a cuntbag looking for a fight.

Please do hope you have more than a handful. also
>porches bmw
>cheap

umm Im talking about American cars

they were the cheap garbage

still have po po up in your grill

What mods?

now watch this guy complain that I dont have as many imports as he does of American cars

Cal look VWs took off in the 70s

300 some hp
acid dipped body
chop top
roll cage
complete RSR suspension set up
flares
widened Fuchs
Goodyear slicks

yes it was a street car

its still around too

>buying cars engineered for a market which at the time had a nationwide 55 mph speed limit
Whenever I see a '70s American car on the Autobahn it's crawling along at 60 or 65 mph, barely faster than semi trucks.

>1973
>want to buy a Mustang like dad had
>accidentally buy a Pinto
such is life during the oil crisis

though if V8 swapped stuff is fine I have loads of that

since foreign cars were much lighter you got more bang for you buck

pic not related

Fiat convertible with a cage and a 273 V8

Lmao did you just repost the picture of my dad?

To the user that posted the pick of the BMW M1, I salute you, but I don't think that M6 is actually a 70's car, but its close enough, (the M1 was the first BMW to bear the M badge, the M3's were released in 1982, at the start of the second generation 3 series ( e30) and the M6 started in 1983)

this VW was running low 12s in 1971

I will admit they were no where near as popular as domestic cars but they were around and not really that uncommon

yeah I know I like the M1 and the 6 series so I used that pic

really VWs were the first foreign cars to get shit going

theyd upset V8s since they weighed fucking nothing

then you had people who put V8s into them and shit like Topolinos

modified MGA that was used for autocross

1 more because Id feel bad if I didnt post a Mini

RocketBunny straight from the factory
How can nips even compete?

>electronics
>expensive

fixing solid state electronics is easier than most wrenching. you don't need a fucking new everything unless it's fried. you just need to be methodical and know what the fuck you're doing.

Japan did that in 1971

the g nose is the best fuckin shit

I hate to sound "le born in the rong generation xd" but 80s space wedge cars are what got me into cars when I was a very young boy in the mid 1990s.

I remember seeing a mk2 Supra and thinking pop ups were the best thing ever.

Delet this

>australia
>rust

Shooped

What was good about the 00s?

74' Subaru starts every time, drives nice every weekend. And still gets 38mpg.

Nice car, too bad for the meme stickers.

What's up with the sudden influx of Veeky Forums normies treating stickers like fucking handbags?

I like the 70s

Great time for Mercedes Benz

Pleb, one of the best cars ever made was from the 70s.

I would seriously be tempted to key your car with those gay fucking stickers.

1972-1995 are the only Mercedes worth buying desu. Something about that styling

>tfw no qt 6-door benz

You are wrong

do it den