Why was the 80s such a terrible decade for cars?

Why was the 80s such a terrible decade for cars?

because it didn't have iForce

wrong

It is if you post shitboxes like that.

vk56 is so much better

Because the GM 60 degree V6 hadn't grown out of its awkward phase yet. Wasn't until like 1994 that it became decent, and it didn't hit its peak until 2006.

Top tier bait

The mid-late 70's were worse, and were symptomatic of the times

-the oil crisis forced manufacturers to develop smaller, more fuel efficient engines

-the economic recession meant that people were spending less in new cars, which meant manufacturers didn't have as much money to develop cars as before

-overpowered labor unions were literally screwing automotive manufacturers hand over foot, forcing manufacturing to cut corners to save money, leading to quality control issues

-smog regulations enacted to combat the terrible air pollution were enacted drastically and seemingly overnight. Manufacturers couldn't afford to develop new engines so they were forced to drastically detune their existing engines while bolting experimental, semi-successful non-computerized smog control devices

-automotive CEO's that were raised on 50-70 year old fortunes didn't care enough about what they sold to actually give a shit

Have a Lucoa, just because

This guy knows what he's talking about.

Gordon Gecko was intended as a critique of 80s yuppies though, not a role model that one should aspire to imitate.

I'd read those two books of Lee Iaccoca's from the 80s, and in the second one (published in '88), he bemoans the decline of American manufacturing prestige in the face of the Japanese colossus and that the education system and pop culture at the time encouraged young people to pursue careers that didn't actually produce anything and everyone just wanted to be a stockbroker with a giant brick cell phone ala Gordon Gecko. "Recent Gallup surveys have shown that some of the most admired Americans today include people like Clint Eastwood (movies and make-believe) and Donald Trump (easy money)".

The ironing that Trump has run with the very same message and ideas that Iaccoca had 30 years ago, when the latter namedropped him as one of the more negative examples of 80s American culture.

Wrong, the 80's and 70's were a terrible decade for American cars and have been terrible since forever.

Fuck you. A-bodies are cool.

Yeah but most people who watched Wall Street missed the point of the movie and just thought cool, I want to be like that

That was truly a dark age that Allah willing, we'll never see again.

Come on. What's not to love?

Until you actually get behind the wheel of that thing and savor the way it handles like a pile of cinder blocks, stalls out in the middle of the road, and has a 400 cid V8 that produces about 70 hp.

70s barges aren't about power. They're about comfort. They're meant to float down the road going ten under the limit because you just don't give a shit.

Not all 70's cars were luxury. Cars like the Pinto, Vega, and countless other forgotten shitboxes were made that emphasized fuel economy and low prices

thats a nice car OP. The 80's were not as pleasant in Australia.

>thats a nice car OP

If you actually drove a GM A-body like the Celebrity/Century, you wouldn't say that. They were exactly what they were intended to be, which was cheap, shitty basic transportation and nothing more.

That's why I said "barges".

They weren't that bad. My 6000 STE was great until the fucking frame fell apart.

>frame
It's a unibody car, dude.

Regardless, I could see road from the back seat if I peeled back the carpet. Fuck salt.

They weren't all that bad. They just didn't like moving quickly. I drove my aunt's 1990 Celebrity wagon for a week. 3.1L V6 with the 3 speed automatic. maximum comfy. V6 made a decent noise. But holy shit was it slow. Was surprisingly fun though, just floating down the road in maximum comfort. After driving that car, I finally got the appeal of barges.

>I have no taste and love to suck dick
You could just be honest with us, OP.

The 80s was a terrible decade for American cars you mean.

> Not wanting a 400 cid V8 purely to make up for faggots driving hybrids.

The exact reason why I park my non-cat Volvo next to EV charging stations, just so they can smell my petrol fumes.

You'll sure feel like a faggot driving a car with a 400 cid engine that has a top speed of around 80 mph.

Why? You do understand that most people in America drive 75mph at maximum, right?

And does 0-60 in about 30 seconds.

>you'll sure feel like a faggot for driving a car that was built in a time in which auto makers were transitioning from larger displacement engines that used more fuel and massive national efforts were undertaken to limit fuel consumption including a 55 MPH maximum speed limit on US highways
>you'll sure feel like a faggot for driving something indicative of its era and unique period in American history
>you'll sure feel like a faggot for driving something that makes me angry because it reminds me that I don't have the resources to splurge on comforts and luxuries
>you'll sure feel like a faggot for not being trapped in my 5 year old tiny windows hatchback with hard seats and a gutless little motor that reminds me that Germany lost WWII every time I step on the accelerator

>you'll sure feel like a faggot for driving something indicative of its era and unique period in American history
An era of automobiles that nobody wants to remember or relive.

>An era of automobiles that I don't like

does not equal

>An era of automobiles that no one likes

This is narcissism and you are wrong

Good point.

>thread full of dumbass Millenials romanticizing an era they never lived in

>nobody

>wanting to drive a car engineered for 55 mph
Going 80 in these heaps of shit is a challenge.

>Going 80 in these heaps of shit is a challenge.

Who cares

What's the rush?

People who want to arrive places in an appropriate time frame without being an obstacle to traffic. What complete fucking pile of garbage can't do 80?

>in an appropriate time frame

Sounds like excuses from someone who can't manage their time. How about you grow up a little before trying to dictate what other people can drive?

Ones that were manufactured to appease sudden government legislation in an unrealistic time frame?

I'm 53, so I was a kid during the Carter years. Trust me, you don't want to drive any American car made during that era, you really don't. I rode around in plenty of those rust traps owned by family members and...uggghh. The Japanese almost buried our car industry for a reason.

I'm not telling you what to drive, I'm just telling you that these heaps of shit are heaps of shit.

Yeah, well I'm 97 and I stole a Sturmpanzer in WW2. Fucking Jerries can't make vehicles for shit anymore.

>in an unrealistic time frame
Foreign manufacturers managed. It was only Detroit who thought they could bully the laws away by being stubborn and continuing to produce gimped shitbarges, and it came back to bite them in the ass.

Errrghhh...

The 240RS is fucking cool.

I mean every Group B (and their road version) car is cool, but the 240RS doesn't get enough love.

Bet you suck a lot of cock on that bench

Then there was the gm 90* v6.. like the 3.8 that went into the grand national that totally trumps op's point

>AMC Eagle
>Jeep Comanche
>Jeep Cherokee
>Jeep Grand Wagoneer
In terms of reliability, sure they may have been shit, but innovation, style, and comfort were pretty damn good in the 80s.

would daily drive

Your a bad person and you hAve terrible taste.

companies fired all their designers and gave children rulers and papers as a replacement

American companies continued their 70s awfulness but now its worse because theyre trying to play catch up and made shitty "innovations"

basically it was only real bad if you liked American garbage nothing new there

they never learned how to make a decent car until recently

Heh, I bet you beat off to those faggots with stacks on their trucks who blow smoke at priuses and pedestrians

U r wrong mong

But the 80s were the best decade for cars.

vomit inducing

I agree, thinking that there are people out there right now, like OP, makes me want to hurl as well.

>not posting the best American car from the 80's

the fact that people think these American abominations are anything but awful in execution and appearance makes me want to laugh

I grew up in the late 70s, early 80s...they weren't ALL bad.

Comparing an old car to a new one is ridiculous - two different animals. Like them or not, from any era, they represent the time in which they were made. If you like that time (nostalgia, romanticization...) then the car means something more to you than the makeup of its parts...

The attitude that any car sucks because it's not "xyz" is immature. That sounds a little bit like, "Every car should be a Nissan GTR, because they're the fastest car on Need for Speed"

Be honest.

You're 12, right?

Michael, hit the turbo boost button!

so basically

just because everything was shit back then its not shit

makes sense...not

Misses the broader point.

12 years old confirmed.

Abandon thread.

>90 HP unless you got the V8

not my fault you call something shit then pretend its not

do you have brain issues

no one cares about your pseudo faggotry you cringelord highschooler if you cant get to the point you need to fuck off

There is literally no good reason why your shitty volvo should have cut cats. You're polluting more, in a volvo. What kind of fucking faggot would do that

H-how did you know my name is Michael?

>Anything GM

>Hit it's peak in 2006

>Bankrupt by 2008

Enjoy your (you)

U realize bailing out the auto industry saved the parts industry too.. or do u just not understand world economics.. enjoy your (You)

who cares shouldve failed

>not getting the 350
Dumbass

Be my Michael bf pls

you couldnt even get a 350 in that year

hell no
some few yuro and burger car makers fucked up and made some shitty cars
but there was a ton of sick cars

Its hard to get them outside of the USA, i understand your jealousy.

glad to know North Carolina isnt part of the USA

fuck Trump hes not my president

no one is jealous of those garbage cars

Foxbody is the single worst car I have ever been in

>Liberal
>Anti-American trash

It all makes sense.

I know youre trying to say that as an insult but really its impossible for me to take it as one

most "American" things are trash

nationalism and patriotism is fucking stupid

you know its possible to be a republican and dislike Trump right?

Surely you can't be that stupid.

No, its not. Neocons are not replublicans and they are just as unamerican as liberals.

It was too busy being a great decade for motorcycles.

>Not my president

Hahaha, get a load of this kid. What a retarded denial sentiment by mental babby.

I'm not really a fan, but that doesn't change the facts boyo.

>But but but muh Government Motors

If they built a quality product they wouldn't have been bankrupt. The free market spoke, no one would have missed them. Ferd/FCA/VAG/Japs/Chinks all would take their market share. Continue deluding yourself and justifying the misappropriation of yer freedumb bux.

>A nigga actually stole your money and you enjoyed it

You fucking GM cucks are great never change

it was a terrible decade for American cars

I've been looking for a 200sx and maybe swap the frame with a Datsun 4x4 and turn it into sit like a AMC eagle. And swap the engine too of course, probably a z24i.
Post the real one next time please.

i really wish i had enough cash at the time to get that from 1ownercarguy

it wasn't

It was pretty good if you ask me

I like how people cherry pick some car they like (regardless if its good or not) and thinks that makes an entire decade good

just lmao

Pic related and the oil crisis

Woah dude what car is that in the pic? I want it

Audi Quattro
Ford F-250 Max
Ferrari Testarossa
Ferrari F40
Honda CR-X
Ford Explorer
Lamborghini Countach
>nig

>Lamborghini Countach
The supercar i grewup with. Even today its such a beautiful machine.

Check out the top gear where jeremy clarkson tests one.. it truly is a case of meeting your heroes

Agreed. Very nice car.

U guys act like the government took half your annual income to keep gm afloat.. just go move to japan if ud rather buy panties out of vending machines than drive a textbook drivers car lol

The ae86 came out in the 80s though