When driving a manual, how do you know which gear you're in?

When driving a manual, how do you know which gear you're in?

When your engine stalls because you bought a piece of shit.

Most modern cars have a camera aimed at the gear lever that displays on the dash, so you can check the screen on the dash to check

>camera aimed at the gear lever

I honestly don't know what the fuck you're talking about

By not being retarded....?

>only five gears
>reverse after fifth
Ah yes, there's no way this could possibly go wrong.

Memory
Revs
Speed
Feelin' the gearstick position

Reverse is unsynchronized usually and won't let you in if you try for whatever dumb reason.

N in the middle looks bad

There's a lockout that prevents you from shifting into reverse at any forward speed

Joke

By looking at the goddamn gearstick

Thats where it is though

knowing your current speed
then evaluating if you are accelerating or not

YOU JUST KNOW

How retarded must one be to shift from 5th into reverse?

This fucking board, jesus you guys are genuinely retarded.

>How retarded must one be to shift from 5th into reverse?

piece of a cake, if you drive a 6spd daily and then borrow 5spd car where instead of 6th is.. Reverse gear.

How would you not know what gear you're in? You put it in gear so you should fucking well know which one you put it in.

Try it, unless you have some ridiculous mong strength it won't go into reverse from 5th at speed.

You'll never slide a forward moving vehicle into reverse.

I've tried, myth busters have tried, everyone that's owned a beater with a heater has tried.

Well, I did do it once, but I don't think it counts.
>Driving home from work, freezing rain
>About 1/2 mile from home, come up to a 4 way stop
>Doing about 15-20mph, literally cannot walk without slipping
>Slowing coming up to the stop sign and decided to rip the skid lever
>Riding sideways, dis gonna be good
>Lose control and I'm slid towards a massive ditch at Panic
>Lock up the brakes and continue sliding
>While all four tires are locked up slide into reverse and give her hell
>Running around 6-6.5k in reverse, 35-40mph
>Finally start smelling rubber and the car starts going backwards
>Stop the car, get out, and realized that was stupid
>Proceeded to drive home at idle in first

you'll get either a loud grinding noise or nothing, depends if the reverse gear comes with synchro or not

>Needs more gears

Does AMD build cars?

If you know the car and what it should sound and feel like - you can do it by the noise it makes, vibrations and "give" in the throttle at certain speeds. E.g. if you hear the engine howling and the car shaking like an earthquake at 60km/hr then it's because you're in 1st or second when you should be in 3rd or 4th.

Also, on most cars you can just look at the gear stick and see which gear you're in if you really need it, memory of changing gears helps too.

on left hand drive cars the reverse after fifth method makes sense because it's easier to push it into un-synchronized reverse when you're pushing the gear lever away from your body. On right hand drive cars the reverse is true, after having driven both I prefer the first method and the second method for LHD and RHD respectively.

The "give" I'm referring to is how much reaction you get out of the car when you push the throttle pedal down further, which is actually the available torque the engine has access to at that moment. So if you're in a low gear and going above say 50km/hr (obviously depends on the car), then the car will respond to a minimal amount of throttle and accelerates fairly fast - that's why you drop a gear when you want to overtake or rapidly speed up. When you're in a high gear, there is a lot of "give" in the pedal and little access to torque, so pushing the pedal down doesn't do nearly as much as it would in a lower gear.

Does that help you sweetie?

because I can relate revs to speed. if I'm doing 100km/h and my revs are at like 2200 i'm in 5th.
also I can tell which gear it's in based on what position my hand and arm are in when I change gear.

This

Its really not hard

when you stop at traffic lights/ whatever put it in neutral then back into first then just remember which gear it's in or use your speed and engine note to make a judgement

if you've ever driven stick, you'd know that's not an issue.

How do I stop in a manual car?

>Getting off the highway at an exit when traveling 60/mph, the exit leads to a red light

Do I just push in both the clutch and brake as soon as I get onto the exit ramp and start downshifting from 5th to 1st until I get to the red light?

Or would I just press on the brakes, leaving the clutch and gear stick alone? Then when I get to a complete stop, put the car in neutral?

You can downshift to gradually slow down on the slip road, or use your brakes. You don't really want to roll all the way with your clutch in, because it gives you less control of the car and puts more wear on the release bearing.

Neutral and brake.

>ITT dumb americans who can't drive stick

>By not being American

Fixed

If you are gonna stop completely, just clutch in, brake, and shift to 1st once you are very slow

Ameritard's idea of a manual transmission - touch it wrong and your car explodes.

You know cause you're the one who put it there

break till you are at the speed for 2nd, shift to 2nd because the light might change to green before we have stopped and we don't want to get away from the light in 1st because you'll be slow as fuck, once we are close to the light and it's still red shift to 1 when we are almost idle.

Thanks, that's what I kinda got from a British driving tutorial too. I don't know why there are so many different answers to this. But putting the car in neutral and coasting from 30-60mph to a stop seems unsafe.

There aren't a lot of different answers, I'm pretty sure 80% of Veeky Forums doesn't have a licence. Yes 80% is a completely random number. but at least the biggest part.

this, why are muricans so retarded?

That's probably true for the europeans on here but the american driving exam is easy to pass as long as you know how to read and check your surroundings

Can't you just shift to neutral and brake?

>Light turns green when you're coming to a stop

Shift to 2nd or 3rd and rev match. Right?

what?
how retarded can someone get?

Protip: if you're lost in gears, you can switch back to the first and make your way again.

How are you so retarded you don't remember what gear you're on?

You can, but engine braking saves your fuel and brakes.

Brakes are cheaper than clutch

Get a brz, literally has an indicator for what gear you're in on the dash and also blinks a little up arrow when time to shift.

So? Gear change is nothing to a clutch, it's taking off from high rpms that kills it. Also
>FUEL

I knew my Gran Turismo 3 skills would come in handy

start slowing down by coming off the gas then as soon as you reach below 30 change to 3rd if you have to stop press the brake and clutch then switch into 1st while engaging the clutch and footbrake.

Protip: A stick in neutral springs to center, so 3rd and 4th are easy.

>brake pads
>$30
>top end
>$3000
Really makes you think

press the brake, press the clutch when engine stops braking

when going fast and braking violently, drop gears down as soon as possible for more engine braking