What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Yes

>hey guys let's create a car brand for young people to buy new cars!
>Let's make them all fwd!
>Let's do this in 2005!

Targeting a market that was shrinking at a rapid pace.

That being said, I love the shit out of my tC

>somehow thought the xB was a good idea
>wonders why they dont exist anymore

A gamble that went south.

The redesign of the xB in 2008 completely destroyed their reputation by ruining the one car people recognized them for.
In one redesign, they completely ruined the brand's reputation.

It was a poor attempt at rebranding boring Toyota mommy-movers to be "cool". Even the name gives it away. May as well call it Offspring or Progeny since it's literally the same thing as Scion.

They didn't know where they wanted to go with the brand. They initially tried to go for the youth market, but all they used to market to them was memes and small cars. They didn't really get a car you could argue that was directed primarily at their supposed target market other than the tC until the FR-S. At the same time, they managed to capture a non-insigificant market of Boomers who just wanted a cheap reliable economical small car, and did absolutely nothing to develop that market.

There are only so many fat dykes to sell to

>It was a poor attempt at rebranding boring Toyota mommy-movers to be "cool".
No. Scion actually WAS cool before the 2008 xB came to be.

But being cool is a funny thing. It's very fleeting. It can be easy to acquire, and easy to lose.
The original xB solidified Scion as cool right from the get go because it was so controversial.
The problem is Scion wasn't keen on the original xB to start with. They thought the more conventionally styled xA would outsell the xB 2 to 1, but the opposite happened. And Scion scrambled. They wanted to make an xB that the people in charge of Toyota would want. So they asked people who bought the original and hated it what they would change.
They thought it was too small. So they moved it from the Echo/Yaris chassis to the Corolla chassis.
They thought it was too angular. So they smoothed it out.
They thought it was underpowered. So they dropped the 1.5L engine for the same 2.4L from the tC and Camry..
Toyota management loved the second gen xB.
So they released it and it flopped. People wanted the original, not an imitation.It also hurt the image that by making Toyota management love the car, they courted the wrong people. old people bought the new xB in droves because it was spacious, fuel efficient, easy to get in and out of, and they could tell their grandkids they were cool cuz they had a Scion.
Scion's credibility shot below dirt due to this.

>They didn't know where they wanted to go with the brand.
I'd argue that's not the problem. After the second gen xB flopped, they kept trying to fix their mistake and nothing worked.

I like my tc. Except the fact it burns oil just about the same as a rotary engine.

delete ur cat because the ceramic powder is rub on cylander wall

Dude scion was never, ever cool.

I have never talked to one person, young or old, that doesn't cringe when they ponder the thought of owning a Scion. This has been true as far back as I remember.

The xB was looked on as "that nerdy toaster car" since it's introduction. Before the "fedora neckbeard" there was "scion owner".

That being said, every time I see an xB or tC it's being driven by a young asian (like filipino or pacific islander asian) and is riced to shit. So I think they hit some weird demographic that is so far removed from my life I can't even understand it.

The FRS could've saved them, but they fumbled it by bloating the price. It would've been $20k if they put the 2AZ-FE in it to lower production and development costs, instead of the mediocre FA20.

Subaru killed Scion.

>I have never talked to one person, young or old, that doesn't cringe when they ponder the thought of owning a Scion. This has been true as far back as I remember.
2008 was a decade ago.

>2008 was a decade ago
fuck

>mediocre
nothing wrong with this engine other than fuckin subaru's retarded torque dip they won't fix by making a bigger header on it.

Yea but I'm talking about as far back as 2005 they were looked at as cringe

sure you are kid.

>he actually has personal investment in defending scion's honor

ok

nope. Conversations with people over 35 in 2005 don't count.
>They weren't the target market anyways

>old people bought the new xB in droves because it was spacious, fuel efficient, easy to get in and out of, and they could tell their grandkids they were cool cuz they had a Scion.
>Scion's credibility shot below dirt due to this.
They could have salvaged it if they had actually retooled their marketing to capitalize on that.

They marketed to a group of people who don't have money

>implying I wasn't in high school in 2005

You may not like it but normies/car people hated the xB. Like I mentioned it was looked on like a homosex toaster mobile. I'm sure if you gave them a choice most young people in 05/06 would rather drive a fucking Chevy HHR. Don't shoot the messenger bro.

This