Free Will: meme or reality?

Free Will: meme or reality?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novikov_self-consistency_principle
youtube.com/watch?v=QOCaacO8wus
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Wait until we make breakthroughs in retrocausality and you'll get your answer.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novikov_self-consistency_principle

this basically desu senpai

>LE

The question of Free Will and Determinism is entirely irrelevant to the functioning of Science or Philosophy.

It is one of the most boring philosophical questions, up there with the question of God.

Anyone who engages with these concepts is a plebeian and ought to kill himself in due course.

way to move the goalposts :^)

Philosophical fallacies are also babby-tier.

They require the functioning of logic which was destroyed in the 20th century.

Keep clinging onto dead philosophical concepts, plebeian.

Wait are you saying free will and God are obviously true or false

free will is an illusion
reality is an illusion
free will is reality

The very fact you frame the question around truth and falsity displays your complete ignorance.

You have bogged down your intellect to dualism.

Meme. The concept of free will as the concept of being an independent agent is incoherent. Causality is irrelevant. No matter if the universe is completely deterministic or completely random, what "you" do is ultimately out of "your" hands.

>inb4 a bunch of rationalizing fuckwits come in and collate free will with consciousness/sound mind
Just use those words and drop the term that has philosophical baggage.

I have never laughed harder at a post than yours, thank you my friend for that chuckle

youtube.com/watch?v=QOCaacO8wus

all philosophical snobery aside, this is how I know I dont have control of my destiny. Because "i" is just a concept. We're all flowing like water from one state of being to the next. Nothing is permanent. Not even our genes.

Do you agree that the amount of control you have over your "destiny" is relative to what people believe "destiny" means

I'm tired of this question. Just type "free will" in the archive.

>[L]et us imagine a man who, while standing on the street, would say to himself: "It is six o'clock in the evening, the work day is over. Now I can go for a walk, or I can go to the club; I can also climb up the tower to see the sun set; I can go to the theater; I can visit this friend or that one; indeed, I also can run out of the gate, into the wide world, and never return. All of this is strictly up to me, in this I have complete freedom. But still I shall do none of these things now, but with just as free a will I shall go home to my wife."

-Artie Schopenhauer, Ueber die Freiheit des menschlichen Willens

From the perspective of an observer, human behavior is entirely determined by the state of its body and the stimuli and causes impinging on its system. You have at any given time an infinite repertoire of possible decisions, and yet what you do now is largely pre-determined by what you did yesterday and what you do tomorrow is largely fixed by what you do today.

Will is real, but not so much free will.

>says causality is irrelevant
>proceeds to make argument against free will rooted in causality
what did "you" mean by this?

It's all dictated by the reality we live in. If we had infinite time on this earth and I would not tire I see no reason why I would not go and climb that tower to see the sunset.

With the world we live in I have to judge whever expending the energy to do so would be worth it, coupled with what my wife would be feeling if I came home late that night. I could also oversleep etc. it's a knock on effect we all have to judge for ourselves.

Relative.

I'm just happy when I manage to file my taxes and pay my bills on time. If thats destiny than yes, "I" can control that. Of course "I" could have an aneurysm tonight, in which case all bets are off.

>No matter if the universe is completely deterministic or completely random, what "you" do is ultimately out of "your" hands.
Sounds like some cuck philosophy.

Where is my argument rooted in causality? On every point on the scale of complete randomness to complete determinism, "you" are not in charge. It's always going to be some combination of previous factors - that you didn't cause, or randomness - that you didn't cause.

define "you"

The illusion of an ego. That's why it's in quotes.

so processes in your body and environment control a separate "you" i side your body that is an illusion?

u retard

not predetermined, conditioned

> inside your body
Inside the brain specifically.

>a separate "you"
Who said it's separate? It's simply the part of the brain that is aware of some limited combination of sensory inputs and subconscious processes.

this thread ended in the first 2 posts

havent read the rest of it but i know its sam harris anti-intellectual cultists

Depends what you mean by "Free will".

In many ways I think like my father who I never talk to. I laugh like my brother who I never see. I have the answers education gives me. I know the skills that work gives me. I conform to the people who are like me. I wear a t-shirt, a pair of denim pants, socks, shoes, just like the people around me.

Really, what free will do I have if everything I do can be lumped into a statistic?

If statistics were only true a proportionally fair amount of the time, then maybe there would be free will. But by definition, statistics show the odds, not the evens.

If you're talking about whether we have free will at all, one can never really know. I personally believe I'm an amalgamation of my own experiences, and I'm living from beginning to end, experiencing a show with the illusion that I have an effect on the person I'm playing.