Can a car battery kill you?

One of my childhood friends was electrocuted to death today. He was 24. I hadn't seen him in like 5 years. I'm not grieving or anything but what do you think dying like that's like? Apparently he was working on a boat engine (basically a car engine) that wouldn't start, he must of had a power generator or something cuz I don't now how a small boat battery can kill someone. Do you think he experienced pain/fear? I believe in God so I wonder what it would be like to be fine one minute and then electrocuted and either go to heaven or hell.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1351435/Acid-attack-victim-Katie-Piper-attacked-going-boy-met-Facebook.html
darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1999-50.html
allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/direct-current/chpt-3/ohms-law-again/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

your best bet is a honda civic

This. Tell your friend this or a Corolla.

ACCORD
C
C
O
R
D

C A M R Y
A
M
R
Y

Fuck that shit just get am aw11 for less and learn to wrench.

Vehicle batteries kill / maim / burn people more often than you might expect.

you can die with a surprisingly small amount of electricity hitting the right place.

Stick to the topic.

Oh, sorry.

Yeah, OP you might want to weld extensions to the frame or get a custom driveshaft for that sikk AWD MR2 conversion.

Famas

A few simple mods will have you track ready in no time

damn that chinaman got wok'd

A girl I bang's friend got electrocuted trying to jump start a car in the rain just last year or maybe '15. Steph Bush. Google her. I think she might have been using an AC inverter though. I got the details third hand.

There had to have been some a/c involved somewhere.
A 12v lead acid battery can burn you and potentially explode, but it wont electrocute you unless you chain several in series or something.

Yeah,mainly the dick.

Kek

Have you ever driven a Montero Sport? They just refuse to fucking die, seriously bulletproof even if the build quality is abysmal.

If you drop a battery from a tall structure onto the head of person below batteries can be predictably fatal.

>Can a car battery kill you?
Batteries can provide materials for assault. For example, a model and TV show presenter broke up out of fear with her black boyfriend. He went into a rage. Strong Sulfuric Acid is the active ingredient in lead acid car batteries.

dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1351435/Acid-attack-victim-Katie-Piper-attacked-going-boy-met-Facebook.html

The DINDU pleaded not guilty of course.

Must have been a 12 volt DC to 120 volt AC system for the cabin power. Combine that with water and it was probably quick.

Well if a battery explodes in the engine compartment of the boat, and your leg happens to rub against dried acid residue without you knowing. This happens once it gets wet.

oh my fuck, I chuckled

Stuff like this is why I'll never change a battery while the car is running

Yes, a car battery can shock/kill you, my friend was using a 12v electric pump to shower with his truck and it shocked the shit out of him.

I hope he had some tp handy...

I regulary touch a 74V battery and can´t even feel anything.
One time when I was soldering something there was 90V AC on the soldering iron and I barely even realised it...

12V is fucking safe

>I believe in God
What about Santa? The Tooth Fairy?

It's not safe when you're wet dummy

12V is safe, even with wet hands...

HE WAS SHOWERING
S H O W E R I N G
Fuck man, you think I'm lying or something?
He was showering with the water pump attached to the hood of his truck, covered in water, pool of water on the ground

The only area that matters is the contact patch, the rest of your body is mostly water anyway.

Personally, i think the 86 twins are really nice cars

Yes, and the resistance of the contact patch is greatly reduced when it's wet, which is why you get shocked more easily when wet.
Like when it's raining or when you're showering with a battery

12V is still not enough to even feel when touching with your hands.
I did this many times and felt nothing.

>it did nothing in my experience so that means it's not possible at all

Do this, an user recommended it to me a few years ago and I have a pretty sick ride.

It doesn´t do anything at 24V, so why should it do anything at 12V?

>12V is still not enough to even feel when touching with your hands.
Here's what you should do then, grab a car battery, dunk your hands in a bucket of nice cool water, and then wrap your fingers around the terminals. Report back with findings.

Hopefully you kill your dumb ass in the process.

Try showering with it?

>go to heaven or hell
lol

also don't buy a fucking econobox mate!!

Electrocution is one of the most painful deaths

The shock gives you a artial fibrillation then the battery works as a defibrillator and the heart comes back alive and it goes on and on and on until your brain melts

I think it's the worst way to die if you get stuck to the current

Electrical engineer here loling at the fucking ignorance in this thread. Read a goddamn highschool level book on the relationship between voltage and amperage before any of you touch a battery ever again.

It would be extremely painful.

AC does that. DC tends to cause the muscles that the current is flowing through to clench and hold, and burns the shit out of you.

If you're wary of something being energised by a DC voltage, touch it with the back of your hand rather than your palm or fingers. When you get belted your hand will snap back toward you rather than clenching around or on the conductor.

AC you're just fucked either way, people literally get welded onto switchboards and fibrillate + burn themselves to death.

>Toes
Lol. Rather than killing yourself, you just sterilised yourself.

Also
>Not a car battery, that piece of shit could have a whole lot more internal resistance
>No proof that the battery is holding any charge

Human body isn't conductive enough to get much output from 12v or even 24v. Could still easily kill you through water on your skin.

1. I needed my hands to make a photo and hold the shower.
2. My dick works well.
3. It is a 6 cell 50Ah traction battery
4. That thing can put out 200A of current, but the internal resistance is pretty much irrelevant since the resistance in my body is way higher.
5.pic related
If the current gous threw the water it doesn´t go trew your body.

This thread is why there should really be an entire year of highschool devoted to Electricity.
It's a little more important than identifying different conifers.

In germany we learn about this in physics, obviously burgers don´t.

You learn how electricity works.
You don't learn what can and can't kill you or why.
That's medical science not physics. Retard.

No, we actualy learned wich voltages are safe in phsics.

No you didn't because that would be a major liability since it's dependent on multiple variables. I'm not stupid like you, so stop lying achmed.

25V are safe to touch with your hands, even when wet.
>inb4 proof

12v can absolutely kill you under the right circumstances. and 25v is proven to be able to cause fibrillation. source: MIT

fuck off merkel

>12v can absolutely kill you under the right circumstances.
Only if you insert electrodes close to your heart.
t. works with 12 and 74V systems daily.

it's not your heart you have to worry about it's your lungs.

>I know more than MIT
you don't.

and regardless the point is - no highschool would teach a room of kids that it's okay to grab a 25v power supply with no other information about it's current or the variables of the environment.

I've nearly melted my fingers together with 12v car battery

The smell for a week of burnt flesh was the worst

That can only happen with a shortcut producing incredible amounts of heat....

What can happeb to my lungs?

Idk, was a glovebox light that had a connector in the middle of the positive wire

I think it was feeding though my fingers to ground somewhere

> mucking around under dash
> where's this green light coming from?
> what's this horrible smell?

Your fingers are pretty bad electric conductors, at 12V they can´t transmit enough electricity to heat up significantly.
You may have conected some kind of thin wire to both contacts.

What?

I had two thin wires, arching, inbetween my thumb and pointy finger

Its not volts but the amps what kills you.

U=R*I

TL:DR
No Amps without Volts

Calling bullshit, post scar pic or gtfo

Even considering the arc burned in air and you only burned yourself the distance between little finger and thumb is still to great for a 12V to keep burning after being ignited

You weren't waering a ring, were you?

>what is a transformer?

You can touch a 12V 10kA transformer's poles with both hands without feeling anything

As I said, there won´t be a 10kA current flowing when you just touch it.

12VDC is literally nothing. You can't die from that. The only way to hurt yourself with any 12VDC is to hold on to a shorted wire to let it burn you.

Your body has capacitive impedance which blocks DC.

People say current is what kills and that's true, but anything with internal resistance can only deliver more current with more voltage.

>it's not the volts it's the amps
>volts = amps x ohms (amps = volts / ohms)
>Human body averages 50k-100kohm
>12 / 50k = .00024 amps
>12 / 100k = .00012 amps
>Anywhere from 12-24 MICRO amps
>More than an order of magnitude below anything you could possibly even feel
>When wet your resistance drops to around 1kohm
>12 / 1000 = .012 amps
>12 milliamps is within the pain and involentary movement range but unlikely to cause arythmia and will not cause arrest plus you are still able to move and let go
>Plus this is DC Current which tends to penetrate less than ac current
Long story short unless he had jumper cables on his nipples while wearing a salt water drenched shirt it's safe to say it was due to 120vac not 12vdc.

darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1999-50.html

stop being stupid or you might just win a darwin award

The article admits that is either BS or a 1/1000000 chance

Hmm. Car batteries have a ton of power in them. Lots of amperage, but low volts. Also DC doesn't seem to flow as easily as AC. Car electrics are generally considered safe; human skin has enough resistance that 12v DC can't overcome it. Voltage is what "pushes" electricity, it's what overcomes resistance. But I guess if you had your feet in water, and had wet hands... could be bad news. Wet skin only has like 10ohms of resistance. So you could have 700 amps at 2 volts travel through your body I guess?

If he died it was most likely a heart attack. You can survive a lightning strike with severe burns as long as your heart keeps ticking. So, I imagine it would feel like having a heart attack and then sticking a wet finger in a power outlet. Pretty shitty but not the worst thing I can imagine.

You need both.

I've been shocked with 70k volts at like 30mA and was fine. I've also touched the positive and negative terminal on a 12v 650 amp battery and was fine.

For 700A and 2V you would need a resistance of 0,0028571428571429 Ohm.
That won´t happen if you are not a terminator.

The resistance of human skin when dry is like 1 000 000 ohms. When wet skins resistance is like 3 ohms.

To all the morons arguing this still. A 12 volt or 24 volt DC battery won't really hurt. Depends where. Go lick both terminals on 9 volt battery and will zap your tongue. Not burn, not kill but it can be felt.

If your working on a yacht, houseboat etc they use several deep cycle batteries either 6 or 12 volt attached to an invertor to run 120 volt AC for the living space. That's probably what killed OP's friend.

In perfect conditions a car battery can kill. If the current, despite how small it is, travels over or across the heart it can kill if the contact skin is also wet.

and a small list of mods to get 400hp+

this is correct.

a human heart will stop at >30mA current. This is current through the chest. It is possible to stop a heart with very low voltage given the right circumstances.

A battery have the capacity to deliver several hundred amps and can cause serious burns, it is also possible to die from burns.

imagine you buddy stuck inside the engine room of the boat slowly getting burned to death soaked in salt water.

Some guy in the navy accidentally killed himself with a 9 volt multimeter once.

come on bro

>tfw so poor you can't afford an aw11
>tfw it's literally your dream car

Learn some shit before you all fucking kill yourselves.

allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/direct-current/chpt-3/ohms-law-again/

You're a big guy.

Current and voltage are not the same thing

No if there's a transformer there will be 10kA. V is not IR in AC circuits.

Good read, thank you for posting this!

>be sweaty on hot summer day
>installing 12 volt battery into truck
>feel uncomfortable sensation running through my arm
>realize my salty sweaty arm has become a pathway for electrons and subsequently reposition my arm

Guess what overcomes resistance? Voltage.

If you make sure your hands are dry and you don't have cuts, you can grab both leads of a car battery no problem

ITT people get destroyed by year one highschool physics.

100 amps at .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001V

vs.

10A at 240V

WHO WILL WIN

Hey y'all this is fun.....take a car battery....any of 'em with a charge ( thats the trick) then go get a crow bar or piece of rebar...just make sure there is no handle or anything keeping from the effect....a 3 ft long piece will be great.....take the bar and touch both terminals at the same time.....profit!!

You work on locos?

This

That's rich, coming from a faggot who believes that no one can fill a venue with low end in the twenties only because you can't and that porting and polishing exhaust manifolds doesn't work because it didn't work on the lawn mower engine you tried it on.

Top kek.

nice trips user

i always laugh when I see a kid driving one of these desu

The fuck do you mean "amount of electricity"?