Does Veeky Forums ever "manual shift" in their automatics? Is it really the best of both worlds?

Does Veeky Forums ever "manual shift" in their automatics? Is it really the best of both worlds?

No and no. It's literally the worst of both worlds.

Fpbp. I haven't driven a single one that I've liked, they're all garbage.

i have one in my DD
never use it, its trash

my dads care have shift paddles and theyre a bit better

desu id rather have it in an automatic than not because the more the better right

One of my cars is an auto with manual mode so yea. kinda fun to burn around and keep the revs up. I hardly ever use it tho, as I like to fondle my testicles while driving.

Used to back when I had a DD with it. Was pretty crappy. No comparison to stick. I have never driven a car with paddles.

They are total god teir shit if you only have one leg and one arm.

No the delay is shit and it still feels like a typical slipping slushbox

Had one in my Acura TL and VW CC. I don't think I ever used it in either. I drive a 6 speed manual now.

I use it in my Volvo for light engine braking when approaching stop signs and red lights.

Otherwise, not really.

kek
true story:
i drove my grandparent's car one time having never driven automatic before and "downshifted" the prndl on the freeway to slow down instead of using the brake
my grandpa almost lost his mind
i had no idea

In my GTI yes.

These are only good in DCT and CVTs. The response time in conventional automatics are garbage.

Ugh, that DSG is flat out dog shit. I drive a GTI as well, but the 6MT. I wouldn't even consider a GTI with DSG as even belonging to the "hot hatch" segment anymore.

This. The GTI dsg shifts amazing in manual. The regular vw auto 6 speed in the golf shifts nice on manual too. Rev matching, quick shifts. It's not a complete substitute, but close.

I have a Tiptronic on my Audi, and it has shift buttons on the wheel too, but to be honest I rarely use manual shift. The Sport mode on the Tiptronic is so good at getting the shift points right that I rarely feel the need to override it.

Before I bought my 2015, I test drove both the stick and the DSG. Once you get up a head of steam, the DSG is excellent. But puttering around town, it's very slow to respond with any vigor. You've got to press hard on the accelerator, and then of course, you get too big a shot forward. Not a pleasure. On the other hand, the stick is excellent, except maybe in stop and go. Pick your poison.

Putting my 90's Camry in 2 gives it a much sportier drive when I just doing 30-40 mph in twisties. Or I'll turn overdrive off so that I can have a bit of engine braking down long hills.

>camry
>twisties
>sporty drive

I hate this board so much

they are shit, had a bmw 420 recently and it had both paddle shifters and you could shift with the stick. both felt like shit. guess its manual for me after all.

Slushboxes are absolute fucking garbage and anyone who says otherwise is a fucking autismo.
Cheap dcts are also garbage, but good for mpg because 200 gears.

if your car is less than 40k new your dct is shit

Think how much worse it is when you actually know what you're talking about

Yes.
No.

Does it count if I manually shift a BW55?

I almost never let it shift itself from 2nd to 3rd, I don't like it revving my engine over 3k

Manual shifting in an automatic is really only good if you're in a situation where you're climbing a steep hill, are trying to accelerate quickly, or are anticipating something.

Using it regularly to shift though is retarded.

fucking no
Literally always feels like my transmission is slipping and takes a solid two seconds for it to kick in AFTER I shift cause the computer is so shit

I test drove a 3rd Gen mr2 a month ago, it had a sequential, automated clutch. So you would have to shift it and down shift ect but you didn't clutch. Also you still had to lift your foot off the gas. The ad had it listed as a manual...I was pretty annoyed by that. The shifts took forever, would not recommend unless you have something wrong with your left leg.

It's worthless

This, buddy has a s4 with the triptronic, shit shifts so smoothly, he daily's in Baltimore so I think it fitting, the 6 speed is definitely more fun highway but in traffic I wish I went triptronic

I do when I have a reason to. Its no replacement for a manual trans, but the ability to manually select gears can be pretty useful, especially when towing or offroading.

I sometimes use the "manual" "shift" mode on my Altima's CVT. It can be fun.

SMT in spyders is prone to exploding as well.
Spyderchat has entire sub forum for SMT problems.

I'd have to disagree, the DSG shifts fast as shit and coupled with APR stage 1 it is insane.
I hate the regular autos from VW. The loaner Passat that I had shifted like dog ass.

Yeah, I always use it. It's not the best but.. I kinda was forced to buy an automatic. It's not that bad though, but I am swapping in a genuine manual transmission soon.

>but I am swapping in a genuine manual transmission soon.

Underage detected

Swapping in a fake manual transmission never goes well.