/ORG/

Welcome to /Off Road General/

Overlanding Hobbies Edition:
What hobbies do you pursue while innawoods? In addition to the obvious drinking, smoking cigars and yelling at my wife for losing the flashlight the only other thing I really care about is fly fishing. I used to mountain bike and am thinking about getting back into it.

What do you do? Please tell me about it I am genuinely interested.

>obligatory homosexual copypasta
zeemaps.com/map?group=2389619
discord.gg/SenfAyU
watracing.com/?product=off-road-general

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_KgoUNH2f8c
youtube.com/watch?v=fWg_6iP4EwM&t=141s
discord.gg/SenfAyU
youtube.com/watch?v=dJeGZrudkVg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

jk i totally hike too

first for 2wd stock SUV are good enough

>tfw not first

but user you havent told me about your cool outdoor hobbies
and 2wd is fine for a lot of stuff
>mostly for crying though it seems

i samefagged my own post so you can still be first

Was the GMT 800 platform the last good american SUV?

>inb4 muh japshit is made in america

I make things from campsites like fire holes/wooden structures/rock gardens, spearfish, /k/larp, and stumble around on psychedelics.

I also get paid to drop chemicals off to farmers innawoods for money.

s l o w r o l l i n g

Aside from goatherding, hiking, and camping, we do a bit of this innawoods.

You may have to zoom.

>ewieoutwejkfakjea.jpg
lmao

Three of the Four things I pulled out today from my Land Cruiser said "Made in the USA". This was back in 1997

Still dreaming of that Vortec 6.5 heart transplant...

>just rebuilt the entire drivetrain edition

Just waiting on the front driveshaft to come back from driveline shop than I can go fuck it up off road.

I like to fish, shoot, hike and just generally fuck around innawoods. My truck is on pavement 99.9% of the time as my daily driver, but I do take it off road to camp in remote areas to escape people from LA a few times a year.

>ewieoutwejkfakjea.jpg
>lmao

Yeah I had to resize the image in Gimp and just typed random shit.

>Still dreaming of that Vortec 6.5 heart transplant
Pretty sure a vortec transplant is WAT approved. But I'm asking about GM/Ferd/Dodge etc hence my picture of GMT800 tahoe next to a new gutless land-yacht version . Perhaps I should have been more specific.

Goats also like checking out busted up old mines.

Wifey shoots the flora,

And the fauna, when lucky.

I won't flood the thread (since this ain't /p/), but I gots more nature shoots if anyone is interested and am happy to post them.

>gutless land yacht
She doesn't look that fat, user.

I do too. Got some good advice from /out/ on mine-hopping around.
Plus you can pick up old rocks and look at them. Really cool.

That's a very skinny bear. First sighting in spring?

First for ISHYGDDOOBARU

Anyone have suggestions for a rooftop tent? Looking at the ARB Simpson III, but it's so expensive...

I've tried sleeping in the FJ, but there's a hump in the back and I'd have to rip out the rear seats, build a sleeping platform, and I'd still be fucked for ventilation in there.

>Overlanding
So many of these overlanders are fat old pussy faggots.
>muh rooftop tent
>muh refrigerator

sleep in a tent on the ground, fag

>wanting to set up a tent every night when you could just unfold the one on your roof

Mid july and at about 11,000 feet. He was about 500 yards lower down the mountain from this guy, who was eyeing him warily. The bear either didn't notice or didn't care.

>t. soft fag who camps in mom's basement

I do, I have a Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead that gets quite a lot of us.

But that gets old when it's pissing rain and you're in a place with bears.

Any idiot can "rough it". The key is to make yourself as comfortable as you can with as little as possible. Only a dumb hick advocates being miserable/cold/uncomfortable when they don't need to be.

>spend 1500 bucks to save 2 minutes
nah
>But that gets old when it's pissing rain and you're in a place with bears.
Shoulda bought a bigger car then bud.

>spend 1500 bucks to save 2 minutes

lol poorfag

You can build your own if you lay down lengthwise. Just toss a "two person" tent on your roof rack with a solid foam tent or air matress underneath it and crawl in through the skylight.

>pic related

>skylight

What the fuck do you drive?

I suppose you have never overlanded before.

You have to strike a golden mean between glamping and minimalist camping. Minimalist camping is fun only under the right conditions but if you have a vehicle at all, then it's already part glamping.

What I did with the Land Cruiser was fold out a cot in the space of the back seat and the rear troop carrier. That also means I have to toss a few boxes onto the driver's seat to make room but it worked.
Any more than 5+ days and you would be craving for ice which is why the fridge is helpful.

I'm also safe from skinwalkers when I'm innacar instead of outside.

Looking at getting a Kings rooftop tent myself. Rainproof, windproof and only 800 bucks.

Mountain biking is fun, but i'm a lazy mother fucker. Don't do it as much as I used to unfortunately.

I knew you were from California. I could tell by all those desert images you posted. Shit just looked familiar as hell (also didn't get to see ur plate). Were you by ghost mountain and the hieroglyph trail out in Anza Borrego in those pics from the previous couple threads?

also mmmmmm in-n-out

>sleeping in a tent
it's like you want to be murdered / abducted / eaten

Fuck that looks cozy. I like the idea of being able to camp on/near the beach without the problem of sand (it's a bitch to peg a rain fly when the ground is mush).

That one looks like it has a really nice view, too, and good vents. I like my Hammerhead, but fugg does it get hot in the summer.

desert pics were from Joshua Tree. I was just there on a trip though. I'm originally from nor cal

>Pic related

are you a yuropoor?

youtube.com/watch?v=_KgoUNH2f8c

go back to Actually don't.
We have that "hurr durr raped at 5am when innatent" thread every fucking day.

youtube.com/watch?v=fWg_6iP4EwM&t=141s

This is a really crazy tent set up. But honestly 10/10 would recommend my coworkers set up for you desert bros.

Seems relatively cheap for a rooftop too which is nice. Could be comfy camping in the rain with one.

Canadian. That's Killarney Provincial Park, I spent my summers there when I was a wee lad.

>Could be comfy camping in the rain with one
You're still in a tent in the rain though, now it's just 4 times as expensive and on your roof.

Softy manlet detected
The worse it is the better the learning experience

inb4 it would be cheaper to buy a decent camper trailer.

At least the floor wouldnt be damp/wet.

I don't even post here anymore what the fuck is wrong with me

The only thing I worry about is it being a sail if some winds kicked up in the night

fix your fucking ball joints numbnuts

>not having to get out and tie down guy-wires that came loose
>flapping rain fly getting blasted with mud that you'll have to clean off later
>no digging rain/drainage trenches around tent and being paranoid that you didn't get to set it up in the highest spot possible because the highest spot had fucking rocks and roots all over that would stab your spine and kidneys

Honestly you sound like someone who hasn't ever slept in a tent in any shit weather.

Or someone who has never had to SET UP a tent in shit weather. The idea of just unfolding this thing and climbing up into it is WAY more appealing than fucking around in a raincoat for 20 minutes trying to feed FG/aluminum poles through sleeves and hammer in tent pegs.

I've been through some shit trips. It's how I know what I want on my next trip, and why I have the gear I do.

Like I said, any idiot can "rough it". There's no skill or enjoyment from being a cold, soggy mess the whole trip. Unless you're a sadistic retard who thrives on misery, in which case you need to go join the Army Rangers or something.

camper trailer can't carry a quad, tires, gas, and tools in it though. He built the trailer for like 800 bucks and got the tent used from some rich fags and low balled them because they only used it like twice.

o shit. a leaffag

I go up to lake nip 4 times a year to overland through the trees and stay at my friends' houses.
Are you still in central Ontario or no more?

>the worse it is the better
bls no edge. this is a soft place. with loamy dirt all around.

Is that a fucking cold air intake on the top of the snorkel?

>Like I said, any idiot can "rough it". There's no skill or enjoyment from being a cold, soggy mess the whole trip. Unless you're a sadistic retard who thrives on misery, in which case you need to go join the Army Rangers or something.

You actually hit the nail on the head with that one. On my last trip my shelter was an MSS (pic related) under a man sized tarp in 0F for tree days during a God damn blizzard
Shit was the tits yo

Just sell your ugly retro FJ thing and buy a 4runner or land cruiser and solve all your problems.

I live about an hour north of Toronto, I work right on the edge of the city. I was born in Sudbury and grew up there for about 10 years, but there's just too few jobs there. The city doesn't grow, and property investment is pretty poor. You'd be lucky to make 2% on anything you buy there, no matter how long you stay.

I did some kayaking through the French River a few years ago, but we didn't go as far as Lake Nip. Everyone says it's really nice, but I'm still partial to the quartz mountains around Sudbury.

well yeah then you scramble back into your car and curse buting an expensive as fuck tent and for being a dumbass and not reaearching the weather properly before your trip.

this this keep dis

>add balaclava
>delet touque
>use your new socks as blindfolds for the sun
>use extra tarps and string them to trees for wind protection
Honestly, the wind is the most annoying part of sleeping innafields

I like waking up with the sun when it's spring / summer / autumn since the rays from the sun heats up my trucc bed enough that it makes me pop out of my sleeping bag immediately.

Happened the past 3 days on my trip, too.

Well good for you, hopefully you're not the kind of brash retard they end up lifting out of a gorge after a week because he gets lost thinking he's a TUFF GUY.

They don't sell Landcruisers in Canada, and the modern 4Runner has been toned down way too much, and with poor ground clearance. If your only criticism of the FJ is that it's ugly, that's a moot point. I love the styling, it doesn't look bland and shitty like everything else on the road.

Wat. I'm not even the dude shitting on you . I am however weirded out by having that size of a cloth wall that high off the ground. How exactly does it attach to the roof rack?

Nice. Going too East means too much foilage to cut through and not enough Crown land to open fire on.

Bae's relatives are from French River so I can occasionally visit there if requested. North of Lake Nip are barren fields after the marshes of the Shield wears off. Lower water tables means less mud and all clay which means less foilage and driveable roads.

What do you have? Hop on over to the discord discord.gg/SenfAyU if you want to do an overland 3-7 day trip in the Summer. I normally do it with only one vehicles so I'm afraid of going too deep into areas. But if there's a second vehicle with a winch, i'd be liable to have much more fun.

Ditto on the financial situations. I'd love to move out of the city but then I wouldn't have the business contacts to allow me to have fun outside of the city. C'est la vie.

Do you really think the wind is going to be that much faster at 6 feet above the ground, as opposed to 3 feet?

These tents are designed with that in mind. If you're facing hurricane level storms, it's time to put the tent down and sleep in vehicle.

>They don't sell Landcruisers in Canada
You just gotta wait a few months.
Or import from Europe.

You were just complaining about the fj being too small to sleep in. We know for a fact you can buy land cruisers in Canada because tay owns one. I'm not even a toyotard but it's not like the 4runner isn't capable.

a ford 150 or a silverado 1500?
im mostly going to tow thing like jet ski and road bikes

You have to import a Landcruiser from another country, why would anyone do that if they can buy a Tacoma/FJ/4Runner here? They all use the same running gear you dolt.

And the new 4Runner is full of mallcrawler shit, it's made for suburban minorities who want to drive over curbs.

Actually, depending on the location of your rig, 3 feet has enough bushes preventing the wind from building up. 6 feet and you're above the bush line which means you can get the constructive wind formation and actually makes the wind much stronger.

This is from me physics and anecdotal evidence of sleeping in forests / climbing trees.

Bruh. We need a year range. The F-Juan-Shitty's from the 90s are radically different from the current ones. Same thing with the Silberadoos current and from early 2000s.

Naw nigga without going too /out/ I can recommend from my own kit to everyone
>Handheld CBs for everyone in the group for contacting 4x4s/base stations in the area in case of emergency and for frequent weather updates
>Maps for everyone in the group and training prior to going out since there's always one idiot who thinks he knows how to use them but can't
>Trail markers so if you do get fucked you can find your way back out and more importantly rescue teams can find you
>Google map coordinates of your approximate location and estimated arrival/departure times sent via text to at least 5 people before heading out
Agreed. Luckily the MISS has a goretex bivy that's waterproof and windproof

>and 2wd is fine for a lot of stuff
>mostly for crying though it seems

no 2wd is only for crying ONLY ONLY ONLY

Yes I do, unless you're next to a cliff side or something to give you a wind break. I'm just curious I've never used one before

Very valid points I guess everyone should just never do anything ever and just stay in mumma's fuckin basement because it might get windy.

God damn niggas these days...

I imported my FJ80 from Canada. It was sold to some Vietnamese guy in 1997 from Brampton.

What an appropriate pepe.
This made me kek bretty hard.
Night, /ORG/

Have a pic of a Tay Yoda.

>4Runner is full of mallcrawler shit
Nigger what? How so?
A helpful app is gaia gps. You can download USGS topos before hand and use them in the area you plan to go.

And don't you forget it user. Takes those dreams and flush them like your childhood goldfish.

They stopped selling new FJ80's in the mid 90's in Canada, so either he bought his the last year they were selling them, or it was second-hand/imported.

Regardless, you can't buy them new here. You'd be looking at one at least 20+ years old.

>A helpful app is gaia gps. You can download USGS topos before hand and use them in the area you plan to go.

Aw shit I gotta see this

What. They stopped selling ALL j80s in 1997 and then released the j100s starting from 1998.

Where are you in Canada that you need any of the shit you're asking for?

4runner fails the litmus test - not offered with a manual tranny.

FJ and Taco both pass this test.

Can we not start this pointless debate again?

Dunno, dude. With the mis-information you're spouting, you should just get whatever you want, take it offroad more than 5 times, and then see what you should buy from there.

Get a fucking Subraru Forester at this point.

what are you talking about

guy told him to buy a landcruiser

he said landcruisers aren't sold in canada

he told him he bought a landcruiser that was sold in 1997

he said they stopped selling them in canada in the 90s

now you're telling him to buy a forrester

what the fuck are you even on about you thick cunt

>Bruh. We need a year range. The F-Juan-Shitty's from the 90s are radically different from the current ones. Same thing with the Silberadoos current and from early 2000s.
the new ones, this year ones

What will a LandCruiser do offroad that an FJ Cruiser, Tacoma, or 4Runner won't do?

Nothing, because they're all using the same transmissions, engines, drivelines, and electronics. It's literally the packaging and layouts that are different.

There is no literal fucking difference between the F-150 and the Silverados of these years. Brand loyalty and sell points are really it. Their engines are pretty strong with high towing capacity that could bog down any day but they work pretty well. Get a bed liner and there's literally no difference between a Ram 1500, Silberadoodoo 1500, and a Ferd F-Juan-Poopy past 2014.

t h i c c cunt

I don't know what you're talking about but fuck you anyway

They're all cheap shit, but RAM is undoubtedly still the worst.

Yeah, it's pretty useful for finding trails and shit. On this subject though, I need to find a dash mount for my phone. Are there any good ones that won't break/fall off off road?

>there is no difference between a 2wd ifs 4cylinder 4runner and a 4wd v8, front and rear e-locking land cruiser

Rate my build. It's the YJ that shows up about 30 seconds in.
youtube.com/watch?v=dJeGZrudkVg

Ward

Bought that exact same Kangz set up for my 80' series, pretty impressed with the quality.

>Still dreaming of that Vortec 6.5 heart transplant...
The 6.5 got accessory brackets updated but was never a Vortec...

>There is no literal fucking difference between the F-150 and the Silverados of these years.

Spoken like a true normie.

GM's been building the best overall 1/2 tons since 1980 and built the best overall 3/4 and 1 tons from 1980 to 1998 and 2003 to 2007. Ford was king before 1980 and took the throne back with the 7.3l Super Duty only to lose it again with the 6.0l. Modern Ford vs GM HDs comes down to personal preference but I'd still give the edge to GM on the 1/2 tons. Original Power Wagon was great but Dodge has pretty much been complete shit ever since with their only redeeming quality being the Cummins engine that Dodge didn't build.

I assumed he was buying a 2017 F-150 or silverado.

Eh Im just being hypothetical.

How long does it take you to set up? Got a 3 inch lift on my cruiser and wondering if it will fit or if I would have to mod something to make it reach the ground.

are hummers good? can get a good deal on the alpha truck

every. fucking. thread.

ded fred

fuck off tripfaggot.

make me

>you must be 18 to use this website
Don't let the door hit you in the ass. Also, thanks for the bump. Now kill yourself.

alright bus rider

seriously, please go

nice fj mang
3" lift?
did you replace uca/lca?
why no front bumper
stock front bumpers are atrocious