Wilwood and aftermarket brakes

Anyone have wilwoods or any info on the brand? Thinking about getting a kit.
Also general brake thread

Other urls found in this thread:

bayridgehonda.com/vehicle-details/2008-honda-civic-coupe-2dr-man-ex-brooklyn-ny-id-16855905
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>wilwood
It brakes really good man

Yes wilwood stops cars good

What car is this going on? Big brakes are overkill for most cars. Good rotors and pads make a world of a difference over most stock setups and will be a fraction of the price of a full kit.

There are higher quality brands but Wilwoods are decent for the price. OEM brakes with better pads/fluids are usually fine if you're just doing minor power increase.

Any BBK will put you in a different class in autox. The only reason you'd want a BBK is if you're pushing insane HP numbers. Pads, rotors, lines, and fluid will be enough.

Hijacking this thread with a question of my own.

How can a particular brand of brake calipers be better than the other? Structurally these are literally a hollowed out piece of metal and nothing more. Where is there room for differences in quality? I guess some of the hardware they use like the clips can be more convenient but the fundamental function can't possibly be different. It's a fuckin piece of metal with some holes in it.

engines are piece of metal with some holes in it

pic related

mate that is a bad analogy. engine is made up of several components. a brake caliper is literally a piece of metal with a hole in it.

>weight (muh unsprung mass)
>reliability of pistons
>the way the brake pedal feels (grabby/spongey/linear/etc)
>how well it vents heat

Wilwoods are overkill as fuck for a street car and only proper for a track car if you're running serious lap times.

Heat transfer, cooling, brake fade, brake wear, stopping distance, unsprung weight, center of gravity, etc.
A lot of variables my man

>being this useless

Also
>muh lap times

>only decent point
>meme
>meme, has nothing to do with the inherent properties of a brand. i.e. a six pot willwood would feel the same as a six pot brembo
>meme. easily recreated if needed

Some cars need a brake upgrade even with factory power. 240sx is a good example; the stock brakes are tiny and overheat if abused a bit. A spirited drive down a mountain pass will prove this.

>There are higher quality brands

Please elaborate.

They're pretty good, but you need to research the specific kit/parts you're looking to buy. Also keep in mind your caliper piston area and your master cylinder size. A lot of these kits aren't that well thought out and you may end up with a pedal that's way too stiff.

What are you looking to improve on over your current brake setup?

Or a pedal that sinks through the floor.

Brakes don't give you more braking power, they just have a larger reserve. Just get better tyres.

Don't bother unless you're getting cracked rotors on the stock jobs or your brake fluid is boiling.

Mostly weight, durability (and how strong the materials can keep up) And i think that most importantly, the chemical grade of the metals changing its effectiveness.

Back to OP's question, i dont know much about brakes, but aren't Brembo like, the top notch of brake components? Or is it the Razor of brakes and they are just "ok" but people pay extra for the name?

>Brakes don't give you more braking power

It is true that you dont need more brakes than you need tires, and after your tires lock up you dont need stronger brakes, but assuming that he gets good grippy new tires since, you know, people replace those things every so often he needs brakes that stop him quicker.

>The Razer
Yes and no, they DO have good quality sets, but like any other market that rides their name too long you start to pay more and more for the brand and associated luxury as opposed to benefit over the nearest priced competitor whether or not they're a quality set.

They're very nearly reaching that BOSE level of brand recognition. Ask any random motorist if they've heard of brembo, etc.

Exactly my point. You can't brake harder than your tyres can grip.
If you can lock your wheels with the current clamps during the most intensive area of your spirited or track driving without brake fade (get better pads) or cracked rotors, then you don't need bigger brakes yet.

Well, i assume its mostly because it was the most popular brand in shit like NFS underground.

Besides, it is being used for high end sports cars, so i assume it WORKS.

What would be the be-end-all tho? Not as a product but as a brand that just works so fucking perfectly well with a history record spot on clean and no fucking around with your brand without shit to back it up?

True. But we dont know how are OP's tires. Tires are being worn out faster than brakes so its easy to assume that its likely he spent some money on good ones. Specially since summer is starting and most people are taking their sports cars out of the sheds.

>likely he spent some money on good ones

We're only speculating. OP has given us zero info, he could be driving a fiat 500 with $10 tyres for all we know.

We can't assume anything.

Probably Brembo, then. Wilwood has been around a while but there are quite a few other (much smaller companies) like Baer, stop tech etc.

As far as coverage and general quality goes, it's Brembo. Certain cars like miatas, corvettes etc will have niche markets taken up by people like Wilwood that often have better performing components for half the price, double the options and less backordering. Such is the open market.

I installed the Wilwood Superlite kit on my 240sx. Braking ability GREATLY improved, look fucking great, and easy as fuck to maintain once installed. Highway speed braking improved way more than low speed, but still improvement all around.

Pic related.

AP racing brakes are probably better and sometimes cheaper. They're also used in F1.

Literally no?
First it depends entirely on the car, and secondly it depends on the driving.
A 200hp track car needs way more brake than a 900hp drag car.

i have superlite calipers on my bmw 2002 with 300mm vented fronts. no fade at all and i saved like 5lbs unsprung per wheel.

Brembos are good. Any company that competes in racing is probably fine.

How can a particular brand of wheels be better than the other? Structurally these are literally just a big round piece of metal to hold a tire and nothing more. Where is there room for differences in quality?

Some could be cast

Dear lord.

>Brakes don't give you more braking power
You lose power as the rotors heat up, the point of larger rotors is generally not for "more power" the increased surface area helps cooling.

You can lock the wheels (without abs) on probably literally every production car after the 50s

Consider, rather, that this
is satire, while this
was a genuine response.

Arguably worse.

BBK is one of the best mods I've done since having added a s/c. It was also big improvement over the upgraded discs/pads/braided lines I previously had. I've never had a single problem with track days since.

A datsun 280z

>SUPREME brake calipers when?

Serious question, do rusted brake rotors anything? Would the brake pads just scrape off all the rust?
Also would you guys recommend that I change the brakes on this when I buy it?
>bayridgehonda.com/vehicle-details/2008-honda-civic-coupe-2dr-man-ex-brooklyn-ny-id-16855905

if its just a tiny bit of surface rust because the car hasn't moved in a month or 2 its really nothing to worry about
it'll go away quickly once its driven

I have no clue how long it's been there, gonna go check it out after finals.
Would upgrading the brakes and suspension down the line be waste of money?

Ive been considering actually making the switch to some nice aftermarket breaks on my 240 (im running 300zx brakes atm) but what do you mean easy as fuck to maintain once installed, whats different?