Anyone here have a racing wheel setup...

Anyone here have a racing wheel setup? I want to get into racing but without the price of ricing out a car and without the danger.

Other urls found in this thread:

fanatec.com/eu-de/
h-engineering.net/products/
simxperience.com/en-us/products/accessories/accuforcesteering.aspx
assettocorsa.net/en/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=LGpXFBIoqHU
protosimtech.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=BDgzei2uruc&spfreload=10
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The danger is part of the fun though.

I agree with this, but has a point with cost.
I'm thinking of getting one of those ones with an analog clutch eventually, but too busy at the moment to play vidya

dangers all the fun tho.
G27 costs like what? 3-400?
Buy a shitbox for that, strip it out, go run events.
Racing is only expensive and dangerous if you use your daily for races.

I've got the driving force GT setup. Pretty ok if you're on a budget, also works on PC and PS3. If your autism has to have a clutch go for a used g27. If you get balls deep into racing sims it could cost you the equivalent of a real car.

this might help, correct me if i'm wrong
dfgt < g25 < g27 < g29 -> tx < t150 < t500 < t300 < fanatec

tx < g29**

I pretty much have half the setup already, so I might as well go the full route.

the wheel isn't nearly as important as pedals unless it's old or crap with less than 900deg or no ffb

I have a G27 that I use on GT6 and have used a wheel since GT4. I'm going to make an adapter so I can use it on the PS4, playing the GTSport beta and Pcars with a controller sucks.

I'd say a wheel is definitely worth it, multiple friends have bought a wheel after trying mine.

I used a sim for the first time last night. It fucking sucks cock and is absolutely nothing like driving a real car.

I have an older Fanatec setup. CSR Wheel and Club Sport Pedals V1. Love them. No issues at all. Put a few hundred hours into Forza 4 and Assetto Corsa,

Same, I got a G25 for free so I don't have any monetary attachment to influence my views on it.
It's a nice bit of kit, but it just doesn't feel correct at all.

When my friend still had it I thought he just had it set up wrong, but I can't seem to make it feel any better either.

definitely a software or hardware issue, I mean you can't go wrong unless you expect pedal feedback and gforces to magically appear in your brain like they do after fucktons of practice and familiarization

not to mention using a turn to apex function/mod can be gamebreaking for some people, especially considering you need quite low FoV on a TV, even lower on a monitor to represent real distance perception
simracing defense force out

The main problem I have with it is the steering, I have to turn it about 2x what I have to in my real car to achieve the same result.

I'm happy with the force feedback, the g25 just doesn't feel like I can quickly flick a car around a corner. I always feel like I have to turn the wheel too much.

go to the USB game controller settings and set the degrees of rotation from 200 to 600
this should make it feel better. However keep in mind that this only changes the "first" steering ratio mode.

yea you need 1:1 wheel to game wheel rotation and then listen for the tyres so you aren't just pushing them sideways. so many retards who keep turning in, like that journalist fag in the camaro

It's me. I've learned how to drive by actually driving. Taking away the gforces and ability to move my vision ruins it totally. On top of that, the force feedback is strange and garbage compared to real life.

But I'm glad I tried one out before I spent money on building a sim.

T500

VR is also a solution if ur not a poorfag

reliability not taken into account lul

>/ovg/

VR solves the immersion/fov issue but at best sims can only help with learning your way round a track and the basics of performance driving and they won't completely replicate everything you feel and sense while driving a real car. A sim can still be fun in itself though.

This has helped thankyou user.

So I should be aiming for my wheel turning at the same rate as the one in the cabin view in game.
I'm using rfactor, currently the car seems responsive at turning in, but I'm still turning a lot more than the one in cabin view does.

The hardest part is getting used to the sense of speed. It's what causes the complaints regarding understeering. 100mph could look like you're fucking crawling, but once you get used to it sims are great stuff.

>rfactor
/ovg/ anons can help you there, most of them are too poor for anything modern

Why haven't there been any chink wheels to undercut the market like MP3 players and other electronics?

The days of average people getting involved in racing is gone.

Motorsports are for for rich people now. The cost of parts and entry fees is just obscene.

>want to upgrade from g27
>reliability is shit across the board
>forced to stick with gear driven logicrrrnkktech or deal with potential RMA hell
this is a good question and I want an answer.

it's always been for the rich m8y

This is true, but it provides much better control than a controller or keyboard for racing games.

Shifter karts or formula vee are pretty much the cheapest for road course. But if you actually give ovals a try it's cheap, a ton of fun, and better way racing. Ovals are also a lot harder then people think.

>what is lemons
>what is ChumpCar
>what are karts

So you can race a rusted out shitbox in real life or race something nice in VR? I'll take the VR.

As for shifter karts, parts for those are very expensive, and track days are too.

>what is lemons
LeMons is getting expensive, it's pretty much out of poorfag range now.

>500 for the car but then a shitload of hours put into rebuilding everything with "parts" people just "got"

You basically have to have a full shop to get a 500 dollar car running, and you need access to a shitload of cheap and often specific parts.

It's not expensive, but it certainly isn't racing for the common man.

>karts
Sure it's not expensive to buy a kart but if you want to be competitive the costs escalate quickly. You get kids turning up to races with truckloads of gear, employing their own mechanics and running laser alignments etc

VR's not expensive and has zero ongoing cost so I'd do both given the chance.

having billions worth of virtual dream cars is pretty cool, yeh

Useful links, just for you OP:

fanatec.com/eu-de/

h-engineering.net/products/

simxperience.com/en-us/products/accessories/accuforcesteering.aspx

assettocorsa.net/en/

I fully agree, I have swapped it to mph, speed for speed it seems pretty close but I tend to feel like I need to drive like I do in the wet in real life on a dry in game track.

Thats why I accepted the wheel and got my version of rfactor from, with the other anons 600 degree setting I'll give it more practice and I can maybe join them without becoming another shitter.

The leather on this g25 smells pretty lush too.

Don't be a fag Op and buy Assetto Corsa. Best Sim out there.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=LGpXFBIoqHU

It's pretty rare that you'd gain an advantage by using less than max wheel rotation. I think people do it because of the diameter of the wheel.. but you can overcome that and then you won't be degrading the sim by using faster rotation

Forget the toys.

protosimtech.com/

Reminder to use the promo code MAKEBARNEYRICH for 10% off at Fanatec this month!

Depends where you live. Events are expensive as shit in Ontario, plus all the safety gear, plus gas, plus cost of getting your car there because no way a $500 car passes safety or e-test, so now you've bought a truck and trailer.

I know several people that do and several people that don't daily their toy cars. Thousands a year, plus purchase cost.

G27 is the way to go. I believe they stopped making them though. Try used, or maybe some places still have stock.

OP and anyone else complaining sims don't "feel right"- what you're experiencing is the lack of depth perception compared to driving in real life. In video games on a 2D screen, you can't tell how close you are to things which limits your perception of forward/backward speed as well. If you had a VR headset with a screen for each eye (or the one screen split into two different feeds) you'd feel much better. It's one of the only truly GOOD uses for Oculus/Vive style VR, a solution to the problem that's been holding racing games back forever. Lack of depth perception is the reason Forza has that racing line thing that tells you when to slow down, because unless you've been playing forever, you can't naturally know how close you are to the upcoming curve or what speed you should take it at. The only way to get over this feeling is to play the game until you get used to it, or buy a VR headset and make the game experience much closer to real life.

Or you could just drive a real fucking car like a normal person

is it just me or is there an increasing amount of walls of text that desperately need formatting
phoneposting? shit's difficult to read user

Reddit posting.

This is hilarious. Last time I properly formatted a post with paragraphs I got accused of "reddit spacing." Fuck off you retards.

>So you can race a rusted out shitbox in real life or race something nice in VR? I'll take the VR.

just press enter once or twice so it's not hard to read man
the people that call out reddit are just wanting to fit in or something. got called reddit and hadn't even been there for 5 mins but been here since 05

In this instance, I felt the whole of what I said was in the same topic, enough to warrant only one paragraph. I'm not gonna double-space my lines like I'm writing a fucking term paper.

I have a G29 and am loving it, been using it for about 5 months now.

Yeah i got a G27, I would suggest getting a 3 monitor set up as I use one monitor and the view kinda sucks compared to a real car.

ok I have never heard anyone talk about this; what is with the sounds in assetto corsa? It sounds like a spaceship powering down when you let off the gas?? I want to get into racing sims at one point and this makes me not want to get the game, is how crappy the sound appears to be

youtube.com/watch?v=BDgzei2uruc&spfreload=10

Get this op

real car:
>drives beautifully
>you know perfectly well how it will behave

every computergame/sim:
>car either understeers or snap oversteers at literally every occasion without any warning

Buy Assetto Corsa, smartass.

B U L L S H I T

It doesn't sound as good as RRRE but that's it.

controller is the only way to go user

>t. forza champo

t300+t3pa+th8a here
simracing let's you improve and learn a lot, and you can test a lot of things that you can apply irl but in the end, real racing is more about driving with your ass than with your eyes

so these simracing setups are more for fun than anything, but let me tell you, it's super fun and well worth it
soon i'll be getting oculus rift for it

I just did a time attack track event on the countries biggest and newest race track.
75 for the whole day including catering.
Only thing that was expensive was fuel at 1.6 per litre but you could go out and get fuel at gas station for 1.1 per litre.
And that's the most expensive event.
Rest are like 25 a day with catering

I got a g25 for cheap and use it with a 27" monitor on a swingarm that I can position right over the wheel - it sure is more fun and all around better than a controller but it's still far away from real driving - I feel like I don't see enough of the road/ track, everything is so small, even with the monitor right in front of me - maybe I need to use a ultra widescreen/ triple monitor setup like
Since I can't set it up in front of my 55" tv

Early models are not the best, but anything that came after is top notch. Especially the Porsche pack's sounds are great.

worth mentioning that mods usually have good sounds too, particularly honda nsx and mazda miata are almost spot on

the game itself has pretty good sound system, it's most noticeable during replays
it's just that the samples they use are pretty shit
btw, gran turismo has the same problem

>dat fonsecker huracan gt3 sfx
good god I came. he said he's working on further improvements overall so that's nice