Car Covers

Can we talk car covers, Men?

I store one of my cars at my parents house because I don't have a garage and they only use half of theirs. Recently my mother has started making some type of junk out of pumpkins and gourd "decorations" and asked me to park my car outside so she can dedicate the rest of the garage to making this shit to sell on eBay.

I tried to reason with her but she's pretty adamant about putting all this junk in the garage and not letting me use it anymore.

Don't have the money to rent a storage unit big enough to fit my car so I'm going to just park it outside their garage.

What are some things to look for and stay away from as far as car covers go? I've literally never used one once because I've always had the luxury of climate controlled garages up until last week. I have a mid size 4 door sedan, Without spending enough to build another garage...Which make car cover would you suggest?

Is mold an issue?

Should it go all the way down past the wheels? Or should it only go around the body?

Does it protect against sap?

Just that word sends shivers down back

Other urls found in this thread:

m.homedepot.com/p/King-Canopy-9-ft-W-x-14-ft-D-Green-Garage-Fitted-Cover-T0914GF-GAR/205458742?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|google|&mid=sjYwV3vnd|dm_mtid_890338a25189_pcrid_55777201546_pkw__pmt__product_205458742_slid_&gclid=CjwKEAjwxurIBRDnt7P7rODiq0USJADwjt5DY9WbzmuJLWCNwmxZxHUEAMeXvjnw_1uXKRUrpKFGFRoC2Y7w_wcB
m.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/car-canopies/10-ft-x-17-ft-portable-garage-62860.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

None of you have car covers?

Not a one huh?

Lol, enjoy having fucked paint so your Mom can carve gourds twice a month before growing bored with it. Car covers don't protect the underside of your car from the elements, the rubber is going to degrade much faster, and many car covers scratch your car when they go on or off. Honestly, I would just get a storage unit if this is a "over winter while in uni" situation. You'll come back to your nice summer car being completely fucked. If this is just a beater already and all you want to do is keep off leaves and sap and crap, that's okay I guess.

>Ask me how I know

Why do you need to use a cover? And if you do need to use one, then you damn well better take it off occasionally before the trapped water starts eating away at the car. Most covers will only go around the body, you can also get tire covers if needed. They should stop sap from coming through, but again, you need to remove the cover on a regular basis. Just get one that's heavy enough because thinner covers just fall apart from the weather.

Just want to add, I'm not suggesting to argue with your mother. It's her garage, you're not entitled to being able to use it. I just think it's funny you are put into this situation so she can carve fucking gourds and pumpkins of all things. Honestly, just get a car cover if it's already beat up, and that will severly reduce the damage from having it completely exposed. However, the remaining damage is still significant enough that if the car is worth / means a lot to you then shell out the grand or whatever for a storage unit over the winter.

>Can we talk car covers, Men?
yeah, don't use them if you like your paint in its current condition
just wax your car every few weeks

No It's year round, I have two cars but can only drive one at once.

I don't have a garage at my house

Dude storage units that can fit a 4 door sedan are expensive as fuck where I live. $140 a month for one that can just fit my car, I didn't even ask for one that is climate controlled.

I'm not bill gates

What would happen if you just put a big uhaul style blanket over it then put the car cover over it?

I would think car covers would be less popular if this happened all the time

Get one that covers the entire thing, that is made of breathable fabric and that can be fastened in multiple points (preferrably more than six), and preferrably stretchable

Breathable - no mold issue
Stretch and fastenings - minimize how much the cover can move due to wind. If you just throw a tarp on it and leave it then wind will move the cover around and wear your paint thin in the spots where it touches
And yes, it will protect from sap just fine

Then if you don't live in a ghetto or subdivision get one of the portable garage tents. The biggest failings of the car cover is that it scratches your paint, holds moisture against the paint, and allows moisture and salt under the car because it doesn't go to the ground. A portable garage tent would still keep your car in good condition at least.

No scratches?

Do you put anything under it?

What brand is yours if you don't mind me asking?

Mine was just a cheap one from a scandinavian chain called "Biltema", made from polyester

Mine would've developed scratches if I left it on all the time, but I only put it on at night and at work, both places where wind never got a hold of it

Good investment for the winter time, as I never had to use an ice scrape or the brush, and also saving a fuckload of time

We get PLENTY of snow where I live.

Good call.

Thanks!

I recognize those 8-holes. What kind of old Merc you got under there?

can you or any user recommend a portable garage tent? I'm in the same situation as OP and want to protect my car as much as possible.

m.homedepot.com/p/King-Canopy-9-ft-W-x-14-ft-D-Green-Garage-Fitted-Cover-T0914GF-GAR/205458742?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|google|&mid=sjYwV3vnd|dm_mtid_890338a25189_pcrid_55777201546_pkw__pmt__product_205458742_slid_&gclid=CjwKEAjwxurIBRDnt7P7rODiq0USJADwjt5DY9WbzmuJLWCNwmxZxHUEAMeXvjnw_1uXKRUrpKFGFRoC2Y7w_wcB

Sorry, that one has no frame. Try this one.

m.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/car-canopies/10-ft-x-17-ft-portable-garage-62860.html

Protip: weigh down with sandbags.

Since it's mightyBenz and it's blueish in color I would say probably the W202 with the big foglights on the front.

>Is mold an issue?
There are water resistant car covers that are also breathable. You don't want covers that flop around in the wind because that causes abrasion with the paint. Before covering, wash the car and wax it as that helps it resist mildew getting a hold on the paint.

Covers do protect a lot against UV and sap.

The biggest problem is having a loose cover that flops around if the wind blows. There are tension straps across the bottom to reduce that but I recommend hanging light weights such as sandbags across the bottom. Most people buy some clamps for that. The better covers have a reinforced grommet in the middle bottom edge for a cord to go through so the cover doesn't get pulled up off the car.

I lived in Arizona and car covers were only used as part time covers during the day and just for the summer months. That's because a breeze and dust will cause car scratches. If you're in the northern climate, the car cover will just hold moisture on the car longer and make the mold grow so don't do it for long term storage. You sort of need the rain to wash off the mold anyways. That's what stops it from building up on a waxed car.

SUMMARY: A portable car garage is far better than a car cover. And no car cover is better than a car cover (my opinion only) in a moist climate.

My old W202

I don't know why, but I literally kek'd at your description of your ma's pumpkin hobby. Kind've shitty of her, but it is ""her"" house, right?

Why do you need to 'store' 'one' of your cars? Does it not run or something?
Sounds to me that if you need to 'store' a car you're not using it enough to justify owning it, and you're just letting it fucking rot.