Tracked cars

Why haven't tracked cars become as popular as wheeled cars ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hilgp4zsUrs
youtu.be/DcgKdBBqq4s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Higher rolling resistance, more difficult turning, higher maintenance, and rougher ride.

all of this can be fixed

by having wheels

>never dealt with tracked vehicles
They are also very harsh on road surfaces.
The only benefit they have is on soft terrain. Every other aspect they suck.
Even the military has changed over from historically tracked vehicles to wheeled versions.

I thought only all-metal tracks were rough on pavement. A lot of american tanks would have rubber pads.

I can't think of any advantage to tracks unless you live in the wilderness.

ebul oil coproashunz are repressing the technology due to their ULTRA HIGH EFFICANCY that would cause all cars to get 100mpg while running on a mix of water and VAPE JUECI

Abrams have rubber pads.
They're OK going in a straight line, but when turning bth treads are sliding. Every intersection would see massive wear. Or the rubber pads would have to be replaced weekly. Something has to give when that much weight is grinding against the road.
Imagine doing a small burnout every time you turned- that's exactly what the treads do.

>while running on a mix of water and VAPE JUECI
kek
actually vaped while reading your post

Because roads cost money and people like going over 50 mph.

OP confirmed for being retarded.

>see this thread
>thought tracked cars is pretty cool
>remember one day you will get fucked up and have to replace the track by yourself
>goog how to replace rubber tracks
>see this youtube.com/watch?v=Hilgp4zsUrs

fuck that, OP

>Need a forkhoist to change treads
Bloody hell, don't they have a tensioner?

Not exactly. Tracks have a higher contact area to the ground than normal tires. The weight distribution is much better.

the high risk of getting blinded by a butch cyborg and her bitchboi ex highway cop

Most idiots on the road today can't even change a tyre let alone them trying to change a track

That and the ability to turn in place are why tracks exist. Wheels literally could not make it through the mud France had turned into, and you needed a full-length driving surface to get over trenches.

youtu.be/DcgKdBBqq4s

>ywn own a tracked Rolls-Royce

It's almost like cars are designed to run on wheels and not tracks...

Pic related is designed for snow and broken ice, designed for tracks, and will just float when the ice gives way under it.

Exactly, which makes the whole point - tracks are shit for cars and vehicles not designed for it (perhaps with an exception being ATV's, which cannot deal with deep fucking snow on tires due to how thin they are, and do damned well with belts

And I do know about the BV's - used 206's nearly every week during my national service