Price limit is 30k
Wants new or close to new
Finds new miata too cramped
Currently likes the 86.
Are there better options?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qsW7lVRsxqM&feature=youtu.be
truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/WP0CA2A80CS710390/2012-porsche-boxster/
pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/06/02/where-wages-are-worth-the-most-and-least-in-the-u-s/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

WRX

Fiat 124's are pretty cheap

If they had a hard top I would buy one tmr

I know little of cars, but isn't that essentially a reskinned miata with a different engine?

My parents found the miata claustrophobic, and ruled it out is why I'm asking.

Yeah it has miata underpinnings (and mechanics sans Fiat engine), but the interior is different as well I've heard, don't know for sure how much roomier, it is though, if it is.

Have you tried last gen Miatas? Later ones won't be too abused.

Interior is exactly the same as Miata, however it also has a rear veiw camera and lane assist.

Differences are in the suspension setup (doesn't have unbearable bodyroll like the Miata) and the 1.4T engine.

Unless you are an NA purist, the Abarth 124 is the better car, but obviously coming with a greater pricetag

370z

Still too small my fellow melanites.

My younger brother told her it was a beanermobile, and she brushed him off. But when she went to the dealership the salesman was Guatemalan.

So no Zs.
:(

pic unrelated

g37 then?

CPO or few year old boxster. Personally I don't really care for the 86, but honestly it's a pretty good choice. Might want to consider a CPO or used z4 or 3 series. Bit more of a reliability risk, but the 86 is a Subaru.. which can be shit.

A wrx or mustang

An 86 isn't sporty at all in the sense that it's not fast

this
normies love porsches and love them more once they realized used ones are actually pretty reasonably priced

I'll forward the suggestion.
I should note that there is an element of concern for "sporty as seen through the lens of a ~50 year old female doctor" appearance.
See above, the impulse for fancy appearances doesn't diminish with age in women.

I also had the idea about a boxster.
There are two large concerns with that however.
1) My dear mom is very enthusiastic about the prospect about buying something new or very close to it.
If this video
youtube.com/watch?v=qsW7lVRsxqM&feature=youtu.be
is correct, then we're bumping up against the 30k barrier at ~2011.
I won't say that the monetary barrier is completely inflexible, but there's not a whole lot of wiggle room, and I believe there's an element of pride for her in being a successful doctor and the idea of buying a a new car is part of that.
Her dad was also a doctor, and drove those really long hooded v12 jaguars, and let her take an mercedes sl around in high school.
So I want to note that i'm enthusiastic about the boxster, but those things are difficult to reconcile.

2)At my parent's house, there is at this very moment in the garage a non functioning VW vanagon, along with a similarly operable new beetle.
The vanagon has been sitting there with brief periods of functioning for the better part of a decade, and the bug's been busted for a year or two.
It drives my mom up the wall whenever she goes into the garage and sees the camper van sitting there with the new engine that was supposed to go into it a year back just occupying space, and the same goes for the beetle, which had a busted cv joint afaik (I don't know much about cars) and some electrical vampire problem that drains the battery at rest.
So what I'm getting at is that there's a real concern about Reliability and also normal maintenance costs in light of my dad's.... lack of enthusiasm.
And German cars have a real reputation to her now.

pic unrelated but cool fridge

Tits or gtfo

>I won't say that the monetary barrier is completely inflexible, but there's not a whole lot of wiggle room, and I believe there's an element of pride for her in being a successful doctor and the idea of buying a a new car is part of that.
mum's idea about the price of a new car and taking pride in being a successful doctor may be difficult to reconcile. The boxster, and porsche in general, is known for being pretty reliable. There is one boxster CPO for less than 30k. At 30k though i can't imagine you will get within 5 years old.

Mazdaspeed 3. Or just the regular one with the 40mpg because fixed income.

float her the idea of owning a porsche and see if she cares about it being brand new or not for long.

"but its six years old"
"but its a PORSCHE"

Mustang is out, she think's it's too masculine looking.

Sorry, she had them removed a few years back.

There is probably some limited wiggle room on price, do these listings appear legitimate?

I can't find any newer ones, do they exist?

I agree, but as before the spectre of another inert german car occupying space in the garage hangs over her decision-making process like a vulture.

your mom is 30? really?
at what age did your parents have you and how old are you?

i suggest E92 but im a bmw whore

>Mustang is out, she think's it's too masculine looking
You know they make mustangs in convertibles and pink

C63 AMG

If she's a doctor in the US she's making mad bank and can easily afford it.

She's ~50

Learn to read

The second user is correct, she isn't 30.
Also nice repeating integers.

It's not the color.

First line of the first post was
>Parent is (thrifty) doctor

She lives in one of the areas here
pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/06/02/where-wages-are-worth-the-most-and-least-in-the-u-s/
where wages are worth the least.
This is after adjusting for regional price parities.
And so she only makes ~2/3 of her specialty's average salary.
That and she has 3 kids in college atm, and so is waiting to defer any larger purchases until retirement.

So while there's a little wiggle room, ~30k is more or less the wall.

Dude I put myself through medschool even though my dad could afford it, git gud

>There is probably some limited wiggle room on price, do these listings appear legitimate?
yes, and with those low miles she should be easily be able to get an aftermarket warranty that will cover the car up to 100,000 miles or more
>I agree, but as before the spectre of another inert german car occupying space in the garage hangs over her decision-making process like a vulture.
Porsche is generally second or third ranked in terms of reliability, while vw is like middle or below middle. Porsche may be owned by VAG, but they are very different.

in terms of good new-ish cars around 30k..
are some of the newest c class mercedes getting down there? the new c and e class interiors are fucking BEAUTIFUL

Get the BRZ

Nice thing about being a doctor is that people don't judge you as much if you get something like that instead of a Mercedes if you're in business

Do you suppose it'd be feasible to get a used 2015 or later sti in good condition for sub 30k?

WRX>STI ask anyone