Please no shit post

Please no shit post.

How did the LS get so universally adopted? I understand there are competing engines(Coyote) but how often do you hear of a coyote swap into a Camaro as opposed to an LS swap into a foxbody? Just last weekend I went to the drag strip, of the three fox body mustangs there, all of them had LS swaps(2 N/A, 1 twin turbo).

I get that now it's cheaper and easier, but how did this all START? Why did people start swapping the LS first and then it caught on as opposed to the Coyote?

Other urls found in this thread:

accufabracing.com/accufab-mustang
mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/mmfp-0710-ford-motor-build/
youtu.be/LAcXtvhqTaY?t=147
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

Did you see any 460 swaps? Same size as Coyote, way more power potential.

Nah, a few mopars and the rest were big block Chevy's.

Coyotes are twice as big physically and 10 times the cost, why would anybody use them?
Changing the cams on a coyote costs thousands, changing the SINGLE cam on an LS costs ~300 dollars.
SBC swaps were huge before the LS even existed, after the LS came out it made the older engines irrelevant, but they share the same bolt pattern with the transmissions and motor mounts, so it makes perfect sense to just keep using the LS in place of the older generations of chevy motors.

Ausfag here how come cams are so cheap? Used lsx cams?

Ls1 Master race stock puts out 320rwhp

BROTHER

Because supply and demand as well as the LS only needing one cam while the coyote needing four.
Everybody makes LS cams, they are as common as dirt and cheap as fuck.

Yikes I'm tempted to get a used cam because new here is a rip off.

1300aud for a kit with double row chain and double valve springs is cheapest I can get and shops charge a grand or more to fit it fuck that

Have you tried not living on a deserted prison in the middle of nowhere?

Used cam isn't bad as long as you can get what you're after, also valve springs aren't that hard to change on the LS

It's used in much of GM's lineup

They were released at a time when ford and chryslers motors were a lot worse so they got popular.

because its small, cheap, and simple and the aftermarket for sbc was already huge

poor people like cheap things. ohc is still objectively superior in many ways though.

ls engines are trash. rednecks love them tho

in literally none, bro.

That's not true. LS engines are lighter in some cases. You're right. they are really shitty tho.

they weigh less dummy. ls a shit

But if it is so superior, why do you not see as many swaps of Ford engines into things as you do LS/sbc/bbc into things?

because poor people are stupid? this is obvious

it's a meme and a lot of people have no creativity and are shameless bench racers.
theres nothing, other than size, that makes an ls easier to swap than anything else.

>other than size.

Well no shit, thats enough of a reason. What would you pick?
>ls swap
>get a v8 swap kit, couple adapters and your done
Or
>ford swap
>chop the shit out of the engine bay and hope no suspension is in the way. Have no fun trying to work on it later

?

So people who use Chevy engines are poor? Is that your argument?

Its affordable, thats basically it

What makes them affordable? Aren't they pretty competitive with other engines in their class?

OHV head are really cheap to make, so aftermarket heads are cheap and it only uses one cam

Parts like the Rotating assemblies, fuel, spark, computers and so on are usually equally priced

LS is much cheaper and plentiful than the Coyote since it was put in basically every fucking car in GM's lineup that got a V8, and they're very compact due to being pushrod so they can be crammed in some cramped places.

Can you mouthbreathers stop calling them "coyotes" and use the term modulars instead?? The modulars are also cheap and plentyful, the coyote is just one version of the modular, like the ls3 is to the gm small block

>Can you mouthbreathers stop calling them "coyotes" and use the term modulars instead?? The modulars are also cheap and plentyful, the coyote is just one version of the modular
Except the Coyote is the only one worth talking about.

They are cheap and big engines.

Small and cheap with parts readily available. They've pretty much been making these things for 50 years

not much larger than a I4

The LS has compact manifolds and the I4 spaghetti manifolds, comparing them like this is pointless...

Looks like a cast log manifold on the I4's exhaust side, just like on the LS.

A manifold is a fairly critical part of the engine.

A verry incompact one designed for turbocharging...
Indeed, but comparing engine layouts while using a different style of manifold gives you wrong results.

I agree but please fix the fucking filename. That's a 2.3 Turbo not a Miata engine.

Nigger, you what? That manifold looks about as compact as you can get.

stole it right from google. not my filename

>op was at the drag strip where people were actually racing
>bench racers

FIX IT

Reminder
Then post a coyote that can run the quarter in 5's

And while youmare there, try to find an LS that is faster

>using dragracing as an argument
lmao gb2

>Reminder
What's the red engine? Anyway I think the main argument for the LS is it's (relatively) small, cheap (they're a dime a dozen), and everyone makes parts for them. Plus it makes good power for being a small and cheap engine.

>Indeed, but comparing engine layouts while using a different style of manifold gives you wrong results.
i disagree, unless its a YHUGE manifold, engine layout allows manifolds to be squeezed into V's and under them. You can't tuck an intake manifold into a v on an inline engine, nor can you fold them under a v in an inline engine.

If you are going to compare engines, you really need to compare then with everything attached that the engine needs to run (manifolds, water pump, alternator)

You can build them way more compact than they are on the mazda...

pushcucks btfo

What would the point of that be, though?
You'd probably be losing even more power compared to what the LS makes.

Because it is cheap and that's literally it. Chevy fags have been so assblasted since the 30s they are looking at any way to get back at people.
Originally it swapping Lincoln engines, then the hemi. Now it's just poor people buying the cheapest and most popular things they can so they can farm out all the work. You probably noticed all the 350s have flowmasters too

>be chevy
>use the same engines and transmission bolt pattern for 50 years
There you go case closed

Drag racing is bench racing in it's purest form.

To be fair the 4.6 and 5.4 are roughly the same block and can be bored and stroked without clearancing issues to 410 cubic inches. The 302 production block must be ground to hit 347

Hartley V8 (PBUH)

I won't use the term "modular" because it is a deliberate misrepresentation. These engines are not modular. If anything the LS is more modular than the Ford "modular".

>410 cubic inches.
Ford's 385 Series V8s can be bored and stroked to 700 cubic inches and are physically smaller.

The 385 is longer. Also the stock block goes to 604 roughly

Serious answer for you OP

first off V8 swaps have been a thing since forever
take a big engine out of a big car/truck and put it in a small car that came with a small engine

for a long time small block chevy engines (including the LS) have been popular since they are physically strong and will hold substantial power, in addition these engines are very common, and are put into just about everything that needs a big motor that GM makes. Because the engines are so common they are cheap, a cheap strong motor is perfect for an engine swap, and for modifying since a cheap motor leaves more room for performance parts. That brings us to the next part the "LS" motor isn't one or even a handful of motors, the LS is a design architecture for the SBC and means that all the different motors that use the LS architecture can share parts to a certain extent, there are 4.8L 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, 7.0L and there are about 30+ variations to the motors, but they can still interchange parts to an extent. Due to this interchangeability of parts there is a huge amount of motors that can use the same aftermarket parts, so for a performance parts maker they can design one product and sell it to a lot of people, and that in turn make more people want the motor because there is an established aftermarket support system.

tl;dr
>chevy has made strong V8's for a long time, even before the LS
>chevy put those V8's into everything
>People used these plentiful inexpensive engines in swaps
>aftermarket performance parts were made
>swaps became more popular
>rinse and repeat

It's not that the coyote is bad, it's just that they are more expensive to start with, than a motor you could pull from an old van that has 200k miles on it that you turbo and make 1000HP with

Do the heads have to come off?
K

>that truck
holy shit i need that in my life.

trophy trucks are goat

Trophy Trucks are based as fuck. They're almost always modified LS based engines which says a lot.

as someone whos beat on a 16-19 year old ls with 150k miles at WOT every day for 2 years i can certainly say they are one of the most reliable engines ever

OP's pic in the thumbnail looks like a cool robot.

Fox bodies are just the ideal car for people who want to have a fun car cheap at every step of the way. The 302 is cheap to work on and lots of fun until you reach its limit and then the obvious cheap fun engine to step up to is the LS.

The 385 has a bigger bore spacing than the BBC which regularly exceeds 632 ci.

>LS is 320 HP
>stock ford v6 non-turbo is 305 HP

Suck some more cocks...

/thread

>an old van that has 200k miles on it that you turbo and make 1000HP with

You literally can, the 5.4 from a navy
mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/mmfp-0710-ford-motor-build/

>I am an idiot

Ok
Post a 385 faster than this

My 4cyl is 320HP and 400 lb-ft
That LS sure is running on low output for that longevity.

underrated 350hp engine from the mid 90's vs engines from the last 10 years..
In saying, the LS1 had fuck all torque below 2500rpm + shitty lifters but this could be solved with some aftermarket parts.

arent LS just old 350 small blocks with slanted aluminum heads?

no

the LS block is much better, its a 6 main, that alone makes it miles better

underrated

That's the 1.8 Turbo out of a Mazdaspeed Miata.

youtu.be/LAcXtvhqTaY?t=147

No, the ls was a complete redesign. The vortecs are iron blocks with the ls design. They are pretty cheap.

>Why did people start swapping the LS first and then it caught on as opposed to the Coyote?
>the ls1 came out years years earlier. The coyote is an untrusted engine that I expect ford has a black box in.

My engine is from 1997 though

I was specifically referring to Sloppymechanics where Matt took a STOCK bottom end motor and boosted it to 1000hp, anything can be built to ridiculous power levels

>ford has a black box in.
Every engine has a black box now retard. It's been that way since at least 1996.