freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/fmueqx3v
diestware.tumblr.com/post/155962884315/25d-gamemaker-tutorial
steamed.kotaku.com/what-happens-after-an-indie-game-fails-1784062530
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

All for arguing and not posting updates on the games we are secretively developing?

More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

- Romans 5:3-5

My engine > your engine

>tfw you will never be a popular AGDG dev because you don't shitpost your game progress for attention, (You)s, and easy ego stroking

My game idea > your game idea

do you expect your game to be popular if you're not even trying to make it popular
i bet you also believe in the "good games don't need marketing" meme as you're working on your game with low quality art because "gameplay is all that matters"

Marketing is the only thing that makes your game popular. No one will know if your game is good without people knowing about the game. That meme is retarded.

Lets discuss this.

Where do you usually get sourced for dank indie games?

I happen across them on Steam, or one of the streamers I follow plays them.

I love not posting updates on the games I am secretly developing

For some odd reason the weapon wasnt set invisible after death in capture mode.

Eh... whatever you get the idea.
When the guy falls the camera is attached to the cone. The cone then falls over like a sack of shit giving you this effect.

Could slide a little more.

I like to listen to cool fantasy combat music while making these and then pretend the gameplay is much cooler than it actually is

Going for the circa 7th gen raspberry jelly effect I see. A delicious vintage.

>aim lock
why user

clyp.it/fmueqx3v

what should i fix in this before i post it tomorrow?
also what should i call it?

first for reposten

Really does work quite nicely for a quick fix.

Guess that's the radar done for.

Dude it's like FPS Dark Souls xd

No but really, glad to see some real gameplay from you, looks pretty cool.

Well, here's what you can do, if you want the actor to disappear you can (if you are in Unreal):

1.) Go into your blueprint
2.) Find the last node in your death function
3.) Create a new node branching off the execute of the last node in the death function
4.) This new node you will create can either be a Timer or a Destroy Actor node. If you want him to die right after he falls, put in the Destroy Actor node. If you want it to wait a few seconds before destroying the actor, create the Timer and then create the Destroy Actor node off of the execute of the Timer node, set the Timer value.

>no webm section
no wonder progressposting is so rare, no one knows how to participate!

'Cause sometimes independent development means doing things you shouldn't merely because you're enamored with the fact that you can.

He says it can be disabled.

Yeah the normals for that are currently way too smooth.
Eventually going to break that up a bit and maybe randomize it like Warhammer Vermintide does.

Have another one.
Introduced jump attacks only today.

Thanks user!

Strangely enough it is hid in regular editor gameplay.
I took these captures directly from the unreal sequencer with cinematic mode unchecked.
Not sure.
Maybe I fucked something up.

Its breddy cool in a way.
Don't have to use it but I regularly do.

Has anyone here sold assets on the unity asset store?

So, what is it that you want the sword to do when the player dies? I can help you achieve it.

Portalkit user did, supposedly made several hundred dollars

He/she tried to do a "reply to this post for a chance to win a key" and was immediately mocked

Why can't any of you worthless idiots build your own engine? Are you really this stupid?

None of you have any hope whatsoever.

I HAVE MY OWN ENGINE GOD DAMNIT

----[ Recap ]----
Game: PROJECT MURDER PARTY
Dev: (you)
Tools: UNITY
Web: brazileirobr.itch.io/pmp
Progress:
+ 5 New hats (round hat,Hard constuction hat, Cap, Party hat, Fez)
+ 2 New items (blood pack and bandages)
+ Fixed a shit ton of bugs
+ fixed the coliders in some maps
+ Managed to make the first build of the game whitout any errors or frame rate problems

dumb frogposter

Programming is too hard

post something from it

>being this retarded
You do realize building your own engine is just programming your own lighting, physics and sound? Using a pre-made one is just using someone else's lighting, physics and sound. Usually pre-made game engines have a UI, sometimes they don't. Open source engines are just the files for the lighting, physics and sound that you can use, you don't need a UI. Some people want to use another person's lighting, physics and sound because they like it. Fucking neanderthal.

>it's a "user posts a condescending wordy pesudo intellectual post trying to appear knowledgable in a subject he knows nothing about" episode

Your game looks good and shit at the same time.

This proves how little you know.

Tell me about the shit parts

It does what i want. In play mode at least. Just for some odd reason it wouldnt set the mesh visibility to false when i captured footage directly from the engine (via unreal sequencer)

aww is sweetums feeling hurt and just repeating what i say now?

Worthless post desu, just a puffed up way of going "nuh uh"

The spells look a bit weird and the movement is too stiff, kinda like in Morrowind.

>it's an enginedev needs an audience for his autistic episodes episode

jlmg lmao

tenderarms dev and browngreybackgroundwithgreenandredpeople learningdev, I think you're doing great jobs each. I tried to tell you in the last thread but it died very soon after.

If you see this, keep up the good work. Actually that goes for all of you-- for... all of us.

goddd you are all a bunch of pleberinos

>keep up the good work
Or you know, at least fail gloriously.

>tfw I'm going to be the first successful Godot dev

No you wont, because I'll finish my Godot game first!

still trying to make this snow cave look pretty. Think i'm going to add waterfalls or giant stalagmites coming out of the water

It's on, then.

Hard to tell where the water line is.

fix the textures of the main platforms, this is butt ugly
btw i like the 2.5d

This Give it a splash effect too

Explain something to me.

What's the role of a publisher?

Do they buy the rights of your game?

do you need help on your game? I would love to help

you make a deal with a publisher, usually they front money for development and market your shit for you, in exchange for revenue cut. Most of the time you'll get a really shit deal, but unless you have skills in marketing, good luck

They used to take care of the distribution and such but nowadays they are completely obsolete thanks to digital distribution.
Now they memed themselves into overpriced marketing firms that steal your game.

teach me your gamedev ways

but they give you still money, right?

to make your game known to the public, handle the logistics of shipping and getting on various platforms like Steam,HB,Gog,consoles (more than anything).
For this they get a cut of profits.
Devolver Digital guys did a talk on just this and what devs should know.

Only if you have a healthy social media presence, if you don't they never pay you since you don't have enough influence to drum up drama.

link to the talk?

I know but I have no idea how to show where the water line is. Maybe a gradient texture on the water?

the snow platform? Whats wrong with it?

depends. What can you do?

I have a tutorial on my site that explains how I do 2.5D in gamemaker, if thats what you mean

link site

I actually have a meeting with a publisher this week, they are offering to cover costs + salary.

diestware.tumblr.com/post/155962884315/25d-gamemaker-tutorial

>what is a legal contract
Seriously sometimes I think you people just say whatever you think sounds right, or like how you think things should work

I only need to know if I can get paid by a publisher if I make a shit game.

>he thinks a piece of digital paper means shit in the doggy dog world of game development

That's literally what a game engine is, have you ever heard the terms "physics engine; lighting engine; sound engine"? A game engine is just a collection of those to help power your game. If you make a game on your own with just a programming language, you just made it's own engine. Unreal engine came about when they decided to make an SDK for development that uses Unreal Tournament's lighting, physics and sound engine. Unreal 4 was the first real game engine-type game engine because before it was just a set of tools, now it's a full fledged program with a UI and shit.

You sign it with a feather dipped in an inkwell, retard that's what makes it legal

well, what publisher would want to sign you if you're shit?

Black Shell Media lol

Is a joke retard.

I'm sure I'm better than those shit games at friv.com

Steam.

sweetums it's time to stop posting

How much would it take to get published anyway? I am sure companies like High Sierra are busy off the clock with publishing appointments. What would their standards be for wanting to publish someone? I mean, I know I can just put my game on Steam, PlayStation Store and XBOX Arcade, but if I wanted disc-copies, what hoops would I have to jump through?

Since you didn't know what a publisher was I assumed you childishly thought you could get published by making shit games, like you stated

Is no joke retard.

You can do all of that without a publisher.

Would you guys watch a stream of me devving?

>acting like it wouldn't cost a lot of money to make enough discs to fill GameStops around the U.S.

>provides no argument to why I am wrong
That's because I am not wrong. Admit it, everyone is an engine dev.

I'd watch art and animation, that's it though. And I'd turn it off the minute you seemed attention-hungry or trying to be entertaining. But actually I'd quite like some art stream.

user, physical distribution is dead. It only exists for the AAA turbonormie audience.

He's one of those idiots that thinks there's charm in those low-res old ps1 textures.

No.

I personally like disc-copies better. It's the format I was raised on. When it comes to PC, digital is the only way I will go. When it comes to console, I prefer discs. It goes back to my roots of console gaming as a kid. So I am definitely gonna get a publisher to help make disc copies of my game, along with putting digital copies on the PlayStation store, XBOX Arcade and Steam. Also, publishers pay for and distribute advertisements for your game. I can make some cool ads and trailers and my publisher will spend the money to get them around YouTube and TV.

>That's because I am not wrong. Admit it, everyone is an engine dev.
oh sweetums this ignorance won't be fixed by you digging in

This is a humble reminder that learning how to develop your game from scratch (that is, not relaying in game engines such as unity and GMS) will take you closer to deploying a game and beat your competitors.

Because games and game development are so popular, and you are competing against other games for attention, it is in your interest to use more performant tools that allow you to program your game without cutting any feature or depending on closed software.

If you are interested in defeating your main oponents (those using game engines, like the ones listed in the op poster), here are some tips:

- Use efficient and performant programming languages, such as c++, rust or nim.
* cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
* doc.rust-lang.org/book/
* nim-by-example.github.io

- Learn algorithms:
* coursera.org/specializations/algorithms

- Learn maths and physics:
* khanacademy.org/math
* khanacademy.org/science/physics

- Learn how to get the most out of your cpu:
* dataorienteddesign.com/dodmain/
* learncpp.com/cpp-tutorial/79-the-stack-and-the-heap
* fgiesen.wordpress.com/2016/08/07/why-do-cpus-have-multiple-cache-levels/

- Learn how to do graphics:
* opengl-tutorial.org/beginners-tutorials/

Good luck.

Is 2dlove user here? About to work

Listen babe, give an argument to why all games don't run on some sort of engine or else I am right bu default. It's the rules of arguing, without evidence to counter a claim that has evidence, the claim-maker wins.

user, I lived through the cartridge era and I don't give a fuck about physical copies anymore unless it's some autistic limited edition thing.

>clearly early dev textures
>FUCKING PS1 NOSTALGIA FAGS
So now you're just making things up

That's you, not me. Some kids who are un-educated still go to GameStop, I would hate to leave them out of the list of people who can buy my game. The wider audience you have = more moola.

If they were early dev, you wouldn't have bothered applying a texture at all; a simple material would've been fine.

Alas, you're one of those retards trying to get into 3D, and think the shitty PS1 graphics are appealing.

man moving goalposts.jpg

PROGRESS: Some user yesterday kept pestering me to go and put in super moves, but I had to go and implement the new animation system for the player character before I could put in supers.

So I decided to kill two birds with one stone and make the first animation under the new animation system be the high-kick.

Well, the placeholder animation for it is just the previously-unused uppercut sprite on a really shit animation I spent 2 minutes putting together, but when the art's for it done it'll be a high-kick proper.

Not everyone wants to dev with rainbow colored cubes and squares. Sometimes even simple dev textures can help see how the game will look later in development.

Anyone need a logo?

post font

pls are you really implying you're anywhere near releasing physical copies for consoles? Did you not download unity just yesterday?

>Brigador took five years to create. It’s a mech game with a great retro-chic look, a standout soundtrack, and fully desctructible everything. The developers jokingly call it a “Kool-Aid Man simulator.” On Steam, it has a 94 percent positive rating. Despite all that, it flopped.

>We took five years to ship a game and we wrote our own engine, for all intents and purposes, that’s suicide.

steamed.kotaku.com/what-happens-after-an-indie-game-fails-1784062530

Reminder, don't make an engine, it's a waste of time. Even if you spend years perfecting your game and the engine it's built on, it can still fail.

t. butthurt nodev

You don't see indie games in GameStops, no one goes there for that and by the time you finish your game it's likely that GameStop will just go bankrupt.