Diesel Mercedes

Who here has any experience with old diesel Mercs? Trying to find out what the real world mpg is on them, considering getting one as a commuter car.

Other urls found in this thread:

fuelly.com/car
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

fuelly.com/car
you can look up specific years and models of cars on here to see what kind of real world fuel economy you should expect

>considering getting one as a commuter car

Don't. Practically the entire car runs off of vacuum, so there are vacuum lines fucking everywhere.

Have you read ANYTHING about these? That car had 55hp.

5 5 h p

Do you have any idea how this translates to modern traffic conditions?

55hp is plenty for commuting; your drive just won't be very fun.

Yes, my mom had a 300D when I was a kid, I can still smell it starting up in the morning 25 years later, the fumes are probably why I am a mechanic and not a surgeon now. They aren't as reliable as they are cracked up to be, sure the drivetrain is bulletproof but it still has 80s German car overengineering. If you don't care about a window regulator or heater failing every few months I guess go for it, but they are very slow, and the price has been pumped up by biodiesel/veggie conversion burning man types. I definitely don't see it as a good commuter car, you can wrench anyway so may as well get something that may not necessarily have as reliable of a drivetrain, but gets better mileage and does 0-60 in less than 15 seconds.

I'm just thinking now about what I could get to get better MPGs, is cheap, comfy, diesel, and isn't a VW.

the 200D even needed 31 seconds to 60 but I guess you guys only got the 300D which was top of the diesel line back then.

Why diesel though? Older diesel passenger cars were all terrible.

My current car takes high test gas, diesel is cheaper and in general gets better MPGs than gas cars.

Are you European?

If so, get an Opel with the 1.7 dti Isuzu engine.

Nope. I live in the USA

I know that Geminis came with the engine too, but good luck finding those.

Better buy a W124 200D or 250D
or an w201 (the little benz) 200D or 250D.
they are durable as fuck. I wouldn't buy a turbo.
Its best mix between not too slow ,durable and cheap. But better buy an solid one, overhaul things like brakes, fluids. Furthermore the prices for this cars are stable and increase every year (at least in WestEU). Dunno how they prices in US and A. Perhaps you can research and tell me how much is a solid w201 250d, or an solid w124 250d?

Try a 190D.

Bit newer and the w201 was great.

250D reporting in.

Get between 6.0 and 7.5 L/100km.

Car feels rock solid and you get used to the slow acceleration.

Hey h/o/mo, i have had many Mercedes, and only a single benzin. For a W124 2,5 or 3,0 its between 8 and 14 km/L. Can't come any closer as it depends on age, engine, mileage, if you drive it for long ride or short ones in the city.

Ask any questions! I have had:
3 x W124
2 x W211
1 x S203
1 x W201 (Benzin)

Many other Mercs in the family too so ask away any questions.

I can confirm. None of the ones i had drove under 750.000km. And all were sold to keep driving. The 2,5 nonturbo diesel can easily go for 1 million.

I can also confirm the overengineering. Every fucking thing on those cars are perfect. All buttons are placed perfect and the ride is really comfy. Also easy engine to work on + cheap parts (in europe)

Who cares in traffic?

Yeah i own an W124. ask me anything. Drive it daily, 350000 km on the ODO and i did >50000 of them myself.

>its the vacuum line retard again

The vakuum thing is kinda annoying on my 190E... I have engine swapped with a W124 3.0 and i had some trouble but im not sure if it is any different than other cars. Never had a single problem on the diesels, never.

that car is by far the best deal i have ever made in my life until now.

Best i had was by far the W124. A lot of people hate on the W211 but that comes second for me. My father has a W212 and i has a lot of the W124 feel to it. The ride feels a lot the same.

kannst du mir sagen was der Schalter rechts der Warnblinkanlage macht?

>kannst du mir sagen was der Schalter rechts der Warnblinkanlage macht

Defrost rear window, put down rear headrest and light in whole cabin (i think its called cabin im not english speaking)

A friend of mine has an old mercedes diesel. The stop valve or whatever it's called in English is vacuum powered. When he kills the engine, it doesn't stop. Doesn't have the vacuum to stop the engine. He needs to rev it pretty high before it can stop itself.

1. switch heats rear window
2. switch puts the rear headrests down so you can see outside better
3. is the "turning in both directions" indicator
4. switches on a light above the rear seats

i cant stop praising this car.
i love it

>manual
Fucking lucky bastard. I'm still trying to find manual pedal box and drivetrain for my automatic.

My father was thinking of making his W140 manual because the transmission had shit itself. Transmissions are relatively cheap. Well a whole W124 is so it would have costed him around $200. But he got a 4-Speed with no OD for the same price with the Differential with lower gearing, so he gave up.

Which is sad, I really wanted to drive this thing in manual.

bamp

My father had a 300D, now he owns a C250TD, they both get about 30-35mpg.

So I clocked it today, it's almost exactly 50 miles from my driveway to my work. Also filled up my car last night so now I can do a true mpg test, then I'll have something to compare with. Then I can truly figure out if a diesel Merc is worth it. If not then I'll abandoned the though and keep an eye out for the diesel sedan I really want, a Peugeot 505.

Whats the recommended procedure to clean the engine compartment?

alright, since you apparantely ignore everyone here who actually fucking OWNS one, im going to just tell you.

tha car uses about 6-7.2 liters of diesel per 100 kilometers.
i assume youre too lazy to change that value into miles per gallon: 39 to 32.
i drive a W124 250D. i had no problems starting the cold engine with -10°C outside air temperature. the car has about 350k kilometers on the odo (220000 miles) and since i own it, i havent had a problem with it. repairs are easy and cheap.
I drive it about 1500 kilometers every 2-4 weeks, mostly on the german autobahn with 155-170 km/h according to GPS.

there actually are 2 negative points though:
>no AC
>if you live on a mountain with a lot steep upslopes, having so little power can be annoying

tongue

Whats oil consumption like?

naja wenn OP nicht antwortet können wir uns ja unterhalten.
Bin gerade am überlegen. Ich habe selber einen 200D, müsste aber hergerichtet werden, würde einen guten 190d (72ps) bekommen oder eben enen w124 2.5d (90Ps), mir sind die w124 irgendwie etwas zu groß wiegen ja auch 100-130kg mehr, faktisch wird von der Leistung garn nicht so viel Unterschied sein.
wenn du den 155-170 auf autobahn schruppst wird der aberkeine 7.2liter haben oder? also wenn Bekannter seinen etwas gas gibt braucht der auch seine 8.0l

depends on the state of the engine.
if the seals are good and so on.
I and my father drove last year from June. 2016 to April 2017 a W124 200D 20k kilometers, didnt have to refill oil once. There is a oil display on the dashboard. If the cars was shitty used or much short distance the seals gets britty and it leaks

this is my w124 250D 1991 and it failed to pass the emissions test a week ago
this car is like a tank i have abused it and still runs
i have doneso many bad things to it and still works no problems what so ever
according to fuel it is so bad at it
i am so happy it failed the emissionstest so i can get a new car.
this type of car should belong to museum not on roads

Why would you want to commute in something so unreliable? Do you like getting fired?

why did fail it the emission test,
leak /problem with the catalyst?
i would repair it and drive it, if you like it, or repair and sell it if its solid you can get some proper money for it.

You won't be hitting 60mph
Hell, can you even hit 50mph in those things?

my engine (im the guy you replied to) literally does not use any oil.

ja mit 170 braucht er mehr als 7.2, aber uezs unwesentlich. mir kommt vor das einizige wo er wirklich säuft sind kurzstrecken.

>this type of car should belong to museum not on roads
so hows that dicksucking business you and your mom opened? went to any anti trump rallies today?

??????
Literally the most reliable car in the world you must be retarded

Fastest i went in the 2,5 was 160 km/h, and it still had some power left

Used some oil after 600.000

i got 170kmh according to GPS in my non-turboed 2.5 diesel.
you obviously dont know shit about vehicular matters

Cabin works. What did he ask?

He asked what the buttons next to the hazard light does