Do you fill halfway or full?

Do you fill halfway or full?

I fill your mom full every night faggit

all the way full never let it get lower than 1/4

>not a valid answer.

Next.

full if I can

full and usually I don't ever let the light come on.

10 bucks.

Full ofc

Full. I'll usually run the tank down to 1/4 before topping back off.

>Safari has a 27 gallon tank
>Trail rig S10 has a 19 gallon tank, 10 gallons in cans up top
>Century has a 17.5 tank

Can't stand riding with anyone that thinks waiting till it's beeping at them to add gas. Then they'll only put $10 in for whatever reason.
>It's almost like they enjoy stopping for gas

>that pic
Literally me but by necessity. I used to drive a CNG Civic (GX model if you're curious), and natural gas fillup stations can sometimes be 20 or more miles apart even in southern California.

This left me in the unique position of having to plan my fillup trips up to 30 miles in advance of complete empty. If got to the point where I understood that when the empty light comes on I had roughly 30 miles before the car ran completely out (I went 33 one time on empty when I babied the fuck out of it).

Most people don't realize that the empty dial keeps going once it's past the E marking, that time I went 33 miles on E, it was a full centimeter past E and into blank dash space.

Tl;dr
I know my car

I drive until the gas warning lights pops up, at 60 km to empty. Once I drove until 4 km to empty, it was scary.

halfway because muh weight

Always $20

A.K.A exact half.

10$ in, about 50km or so after my fuel light comes on

I know its bad for the fuel pump, but idgaf. The only time I fill it full is on a road trip.

>down to 1/4

This.

They can usually go a bit more on 0km left.

I drove mine for about 20 minutes on 0km until empty.

>he doesn't stay topped off to have maximum range in case of emergency and to save wear on fuel pump

alternatively,
>he can't afford a fill up and instead goes to hand the cashier inside a 5$ bill every two days
you can't fool me, I know what poor people do, I used to be one of you, you'know.

Full unless I'm filling up right before going to the canyons and feel like tryharding.

usually get to 1/4, put $20 in, and that gets me to about 3/4

>commute to/from work is about 45 minutes
>get to work
>completelly out of gas, payday not until tomorrow
>have to fill car to the exact amount left in my bank to have any shot of making it home
>tfw buying 3.63 worth of fuel and paying with debit, then driving home trying to hypermile with a clenched butthole to make it

Thank god Im not that poor anymore.

10-15 pounds a time

i let it get to 2-3 bars on the digidash. (about 50 miles left) before filling up.

I usually go 2 weeks before I fill up. sometimes 3.

oldanon here

>oil embargo time
>sitting in line waiting to get gas
>line is literally around the corner
>sitting in car in front of local newspaper office
>hear electric fuel pump start sucking air
>car dies
>have to push car around the block to gas pumps
>newspaper photog comes out and takes my picture pushing the car
>picture on front page of newspaper the next day

yeah, down 1/2 and I'm filling it up.

>Full
>run it till the light comes on
>do another 30 miles
>repeat
Stopping any more often than you need to.

full.
>Don't ask from what level, the fuel gauge is broken.

>run car to 0 miles till empty
>fill up
>still has almost 2 gallons

DTE computers know nothing.

I always wondered

does the weight of gasoline becomes an issue past a point?

as in, wouldn't a full tank = heavier car = more gas to move

whereas half tank or less = less heavy = better mpg?

or am I overthinking this?

Gas weighs 6.3lbs a gallon. The EPA says that for every 100 pounds taken out of the vehicle, the fuel economy is increased by 1-2 percent.

Fill it full, drive it till .5-2gal left. 16.5 gal tank. Avg 28mixed mpg.

Full, and I never let it go below half if I can help it as I never know when I've gotta drive somewhere incase of missing persons or rescues

I fill to full, I refill when I'm at 1/4 a tank on my gauge but my gauge is off, when it says I have 1/4 a tank left I really have 8 gallons of a 20 gallon tank left.

>save wear on fuel pump
Do people actually fo this?
How retarded can you be

full...till it's empty again.

Fuel pumps are lubricated by the fuel. If you run it totally dry, it wears out the pump. How retarded are you, friend?

I run it down to maybe 1/8th of a tank and then fill. Why do people making refueling their car complicated?

Run the pump on auto until it stops, then keep forcing gas in until it stops out of the filler neck, then a couple more squeezes to be sure it's topped off. ⅛ tank then repeat.

>full tank
>reset trip odometer
>run to almost empty
>fill 100% again
>divide miles on trip odometer by gallons from gas receipt to find average mpg
>reset trip meter

I always do this. It doesn't matter how long between fill ups as long as you fill it completely and reset the trip meter every time. This way you can get early warnings of combustion problems if your average gas economy changes for no reason.

Trip A for fuel
Trip B for oil master racecar

I drain that bitch all the way within 1-2 gallons because I don't want the ethanol to collect water. On road trips fill at every 1/4. You don't want to be that dickhead who had to turn around and almost run out of gas when there isn't a station for 60+ miles.

Pump gas until auto stops. Shake truck as jockey squeezes as much as he can in. Top off 4 20litre jerry cans in back of truck.
>live in northern Saskatchewan
>I love exploring fuck

This. Unless you like fucking your engine, fuel rail, fuel lines and fuel pump.

stupid post desu

I fill up just because I'm lazy and want to go to the gas station as little as possible.

The car always feel substantially faster when at a quarter tank or lower but that might just be me being autismo.

>You don't want to be that dickhead who had to turn around and almost run out of gas when there isn't a station for 60+ miles.

>mfw somehow my brother and I went on a road trip with him driving, made it the whole way back to our city without any problems, then maybe like 10 miles from home he's literally on 0 miles to empty just passing gas stations like we don't need gas
he was way into the reserve gallon at that point

Depends on cash I have. So either $10 or $20 but I prefer just using $10 and bumping it from less than 1/4 to 3/4 or a notch above.

12 gallon econobox

>not understanding how a car works this bad.

Why are you on Veeky Forums again?

Fuel has weight. Weight slows down cars. Less fuel = less weight. Less wright = faster car.

Think of passengers. You can feel your car "lose" power when you have more passengers. Each once making the car more sluggish. Same principle with fuel.

Explain why it's bad
The only bad part is running a fuel pump dry, the rest is some stupid ass shit you made up

Dirt and rocks sink to the bottom of the tank

youre not going to run anything dry by going less than a 1/4 tank, and hey big surprise if your pump runs dry, the car is gonna shut off too. How retarded can you be?

You realize the fuel pump has a strainer sock on it right?
The dirt and debris at the bottom of the tank will remain at the bottom of the tank regardless of the level of the fuel

Actually, as your fuel sloshes around, it can intermittently go dry

>He doesn't fill up just enough to make it were he needs to and to glide back to the nearest fill up
Dude weight reduction lmao

how old is your car user? most cars from this century have the pump in a separate container that shouldn't be effected by fuel agitation.

Well yeah it has a sock, but it doesn't work perfectly. Also,

That's called a surge tank, not many non performance cars have one AFAIK, but the newest car I've ever had is a 2008

Just to clarify, I'm not saying it will do any notable damage, but it isn't ideal. Especially if you have a high mileage vehicle.

It works to stop the pump from running dry by using capillary action and it filters the fuel, literally to protect the pump from debris in the tank.
That is it's fucking job, that's why it's there.
Running low isn't going to cause it to suck more debris, the debris is heaver than gas and is always at the bottom of the tank regardless of fuel level.

I guess I just assumed most cars have it since mine does, either way Im a jew so will continue to run my tank til even I'm questioning if I'm going to run out of gas on my way to buy more.

Look, it isn't damage free, you simply can not argue that fact. Whether it not it matters is a whole different subject, and has more variables than you're accounting for, such as year the car was made.

you sound awfully BTFO'd right now

>does not only understand how cars work
>does also not understand how fluids work
kek

I like to keep it above half-way.

Never know when the nuclear power plant that's 60 miles away will melt down and I suddenly need to drive upwind for five days straight.

>start losing
>panic and call others getting btfo
kek

How'd you end up on Veeky Forums?

full.
On track my fuel gauge stops working so only way to be sure of how much fuel I have is to fill it.

My gas line is too narrow to accept full throttle from the gas nozzle so I have to drip it in slowly and gently at like 0.05l a second. Since it goes so slow it doesn't trigger the overfill safety thing so I end up overfilling every time.

I've looked inside many gas tanks while changing many fuel pumps, the debris is always settled at the bottom, even after disturbing the tank by removing it, it quickly re-settles at the bottom, where the fuel pump sucks from.
This is why there's a strainer.
Year has nothing to do with the design of your gas tank, they didn't start including baffles in gas tanks around X year, that's absurd.
I've seen tanks from the 80s with baffles and tanks from the 90s with no baffles.

i usually wait until it hits the red mark, but no light yet, then fill with like $40, but that's not really full (and i have a 10 gallon tank too lol)

>Helping friend fix his 80s or early 90s Ranger
>Has two fuel pumps; one of which is inside a small baffle, other is inside the main tank housing
First time I encountered one.

Always fill up like 15 litres.
Just enough to get me to work and back for a few days. Then hope that someone in my family has to use car on wekend or whatevee when on low fuel so they have to fill up. Works.

My 240 had 2 fuel pumps, a small one pushes the fuel out of the tank and then a larger one that's in-line does the rest of the work, kinda stupid and I don't like it but whatever it's all gone now.

That looks dope, you did a good job with it.

is this you user?

stupid filtered tripfag desu

i literally just ran into this problem because my pump is sitting in my tank on my DD, and I ran it low enough to where the pump ran hot

you're a fucking moron lmao

Full almost always.
I use a BP credit card for my gas and almost always have money off per gallon.

Show me your s10

Just check the oil when you stop for gas, hell, check all your fluids. What the fuck is wrong with you? Don't you already do this?

>checks oil when it's warm
No. Check oil when it's cold.

have literally paid in dimes to get home before
Probably will have to tonight

Usually never go below 1/4

Both cars have like 70liter tanks too

>and I ran it low enough to where the pump ran hot
You are in no position to call anyone a moron.

I deliver pizza and fill 3/4. That way it lasts 2 busy days.

Pro tip: he doesn't have one.

Probably not. That guy is already like 40 years old. Oldanon would have to be over 80 years old

I like to have my Volt just over the low fuel zone, which I think is 1.1 gallons, for the lowest weight possible for maximum performance and economy.

The difference is literally insignificant. Stop acting like dumb shit you believe for no reason actually matters. That's how we ended up with boomers and the dumb shit they believe.
>muh you can't switch back from synthetic oil EVER HUUURRRRR

>implying octogenarians don't come here praying for cp

I prefer filling up only 1/10 of the tank because it enhances the sound of my exhaust.

:^)

Okay, I like the Volt, but it's like an 8 gallon tank. Just keep it at half, it's going to affect fuel economy or "performance".

Veeky Forums is not a good place to search for cheese pizza. /b/ and /r9k/ are much better.

I'm never more than a half-tank full at any given time. When I get gas I never get more than a quarter tank. Me and my friends call it the '5-dollar-fill-up'. I'm also a huge jew.

All the way baby, I seem to get better economy on that top quarter of a tank anyway.

>having anything other than a full tank of fuel at all times

I meant the site, not the board.

Keep it between 1/2 and 1/8 so I'm not hauling extra weight around

Diesel master race here

I fill it full and only when I'm about to run out, It lasts a whole month and I drive very long distances

Until the gauge or the mechanism fuck up. Then you'll know being an asshole stranded in the middle of the road. Fuck you "I know" faggots. When it finally happens, you always make an excuse.

>I always know when to pull out.
>I know I can make the jump.
>I don't need to measure, I can eyeball it.
>I am good at gambling, I know how to work the system.

I pretty much never refuel my car before the range readout displays "- - -" and beeps every time I start the engine. Which is about once every two months - but then it's full every time.

I don't let my car go below an eighth of a tank. Usually i fill up at a quarter, in case i suddenly have to cover an extra shift at work

my dad used to run his truck down to an eighth or lower regularly, then after replacing two fuel pumps the mechanic told him it was a bad idea.