First Car

I'm around the time in my life where I'm about ready to buy my first car. I'm considering buying a Datsun 280z, because they're cheap, classic, relatively reliable from what I've heard and cool as fuck imo. Something about that particular car is really attractive to me. What does Veeky Forums think? Do you guys approve? I know how to drive stick and all and I'm kind of new to the whole cars thing but I can do basic repairs and am working on learning how shit works, so soon repairs and upkeep will be no problem. Thoughts, advice, recommendations?

Buy a Civic and shut the fuck up.

corolla, camry, civic, accord.

>Datsun
>Cheap
>Reliable
Pick two.
t. 240Z owner

This is going to be your garage queen/weekend warrior right....?

Buy a hatchback imho senpai.

I could tell you to get something more practical, but I get the feeling you're set on a cool classic. If you're okay with that as a first car, I would say, as someone else said, decide between cheap and reliable; you'd be hard pressed to get both.

It's a bad idea. That being said, if it's what you really want, go for it.
I fixed up a Camaro with my dad and the plan was it was going to be my first car. Once I got my license it was decided it shouldn't be my first car. So I bought an accord for

I'd say avoid it. They can be reliable.. but not always. If you get a cheap one you can toss that idea out the window though.

But, they are easy to work on and go fast parts are plentiful.

OP, I'd say get it later, it's just not first car material, they're weekend warriors or garage queens, not daily drivers.

Don't listen to anyone else in this thread. I had a '73 240z when I was in high school/cllege back in 2000 and it taught me a lot about working on cars. Don't expect a 280z to be reliable at all. But it oozes character and it will teach you anything you need to know about maintaining cars.

Just do it.

If you can effectively troubleshoot, repair and afford to repair a car like this, go for it. Datsuns rust though, so buy one on the west coast or the desert. Parts for the L28E are stupid cheap though, and the engine is simplicity itself to service. However, be thorough and replace anything and everything you aren't sure about. The fuel injection system and anything pertaining to it, including the sensors and inputs to the ECU, along with the brakes and cooling system, should have no expense spared.

>t. 280ZX owner

>triple carb setup
>bitching about reliability

T H I S
H I S T
I S T H
S T H I

Yo, you own a 280zx?
Do you know Ian and the rest of the 280 dudes in vegas lol

Yeah, I bought a 1980 280ZX last year. I pretty much woke up one morning, had too much coffee, decided I wanted to fix up something, saw the Z sitting in some dude's yard and offered him 300 bucks for it. Non-running project, hardtop, 5-speed. I've spent the last few months getting it running and mending shit that needed mending.

Don't know anyone named Ian. I've talked to lots of classic Datsun people but I don't know names since my car isn't running and I don't go to meets or anything

>Implying the engine/fuel system were ever the source of the car's problems.
>Implying I'm not still running dual SUs.
>Implying S130s are even remotely close to S30s in terms of restoration cost
The wiring is 45 years old. I said pick two and I meant it. I bought the car for $2,000 and put more than twice that into restoring it so far, mostly in the form of rust repair as I didn't have access to a welder at the time. I've probably restrung 90% of the wiring and bought every available electrical upgrade there is.

By the way, OP, if you do get a 280Z the first thing you'll want to do is buy or build relay harnesses for the lighting. Before 1977 all of the current for the lights ran through the light switch and after 30 years of that the terminals get fried. This is why NOS light switches for S30s are $900. That's another thing: every Datsun part that doesn't belong to the powertrain (engine, tranny, etc.) is fucking expensive because they don't get reproduced. Up until about a year ago a Series 1 ashtray would run about $600 on ebay. Now finally they're being reproduced with 3D printers, as are a lot of other small plastic parts but they're still pretty pricey due to low production volumes and the entire market being cornered by one or two manufacturers. If you need to refurbish the interior or replace major electrical components it's not going to be cheap no matter how you look at it.

UNDERAGE BAN!!!! MODS GET IN HERE NOW!!!!! UNDERAGE BAN!!!!!

I never said the fuel system was troublesome, but the stock fuel pumps tend to go bad after they sit for a year or so. The reason why I'm saying to pay attention to the fuel system is because that's what my L28E required to get running (pump, injectors, a few inputs). Plus, no telling whether the old fuel lines won't pop after getting 40 PSI of fuel pressure after sitting for untold years. It's a fire hazard, and I'd hate to see anin's potential dream car (and possibly his house) go up in flames over a 3 dollar cut of fuel hose because he didn't know any better. Same reason with the brakes, safety and all that. And cooling system because I don't want him to warp his head after he runs it too long on a stuck closed thermostat and failed temp sender

They're sluts for rust. Unless you're getting one from California, don't bother.

I also lust for a Z car of this era. Idk about you, but I wouldn't want to own a Z until I was financially able to throw cash to fix anything it needed. If this will be your first and only car for a while, I wouldn't go for it.

I would personally get a different car for now and then get a 280z a few years later

If you think you're a bad enough dude to buy a 45 year old car and keep it working (spending thousands on repairs), go for it.

Sure they're a great car and I want one but watch out, that shit is old.
eve 90's cars are old now.
Which means you will have to spend a lot of time tinkering and fixing parts that have become worn with age. Like hoses and things like that.

If you are okay with the fact that you will be spending a few months at least making it daily worthy, get it.
Fuck even my 10 year old car in great condition has needed a lot of tinkering and tweaking.

i don't think you should talk about things you don't understand.

Nigger pls. I've owned Datsuns forn10 fucking years and they're still the cheapest and most reliable shit if you're not retarded. Ghetto rigging carbs is retarded for example, do them right the first time.

Ian head? He's a totes homo but is knowledgeable enough

What's you're location op? I might be having a fire sale on Z car stuff if I get ahold of this 510 my friend has been telling me about

>Fuck even my 10 year old car in great condition has needed a lot of tinkering and tweaking
You have a piece of shit

First car? Bad idea. You WILL kill this and the world will be down yet another Z. Get a Civic and save yourself the trouble for now. Save up and get one in a couple years when you can afford to repair it more easily.

>they're cheap, classic, relatively reliable

I'm considering a 280 as well. how do they drive, handle? I've never driven an old sports car.

18+ only

also are there still plenty of parts around? it will be a second car not my main transportation

ITT: Poorfags coping

>50 year old datsun
>reliable

8/10 bro. inb4 323 responses

A Datsun can be reliable and easy to maintain mechanically and suspension wise.
There are springs, bushings, and shocks still available and with a bit of fabrication you can pop Coilovers in. The L series engine is a dream to work on, they used T5 trans I believe so similar to Mustangs but not rated to nearly as much torque. You WILL have struggles restoring interior and fixing rust, so you goal is to find the cleanest body even if the engine and trans are clapped out since those are the easiest things to work on Datsuns.

I have no owned a real datsun, I have a Z31 and have heard stories of people with older cars. NA Z cars are super reliable, just do all you gotta do and dont neglect it.

It should not be your first car though. You will make too many mistakes while driving and wrenching and regret them. You will probably break something and wait before it can be fixed and not have another way to get around while that rust bucket sits waiting.

>when an """"""""adult"""""""" is acting more childish than an actual child

Just turn off/on your modem and erase your history in order to evade your ban OP

Tell Ian that he is a megafag for not pixeling anymore, tell him Pixelcarart said so