How did his contemporaries pronounced Cicero?

How did his contemporaries pronounced Cicero?

Secondary question: How did Romans called each other? By first name? Second name? Tell me about those things.

Other urls found in this thread:

ganino.com/files/Latin Copyright Books/29 Vox Latina The Pronunciation of Classical Latin.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Kee-keh-roh

>How did Romans called each other? By first name? Second name? Tell me about those things.
Chnaged a lot depending on context. For example, one senator to another or between husband and wife (in public anyways) they were supposed to use praenomen+nomen. In an informal context they just used the cognomen or praenomen+cognomen.

Ki-ke-ro

KEK-er-o

I feel so awkward when I'm reminded that Roman's pronounced things so differently from us. I hold people like Julius Caser in high regard but I always butcher his name.

A Roman in the 5th century BC would've spoken a very different form of Latin to a Roman in the 5th century AD, just like we're familiar with a different form of Latin now. It's all good.

Anyone who claims to know how the Romans pronounced anything has their head up their ass.

We have a decent idea based on how the Greeks translated Latin.

Since the Catholic Church has used Latin continuously since it arrived in Rome, I would tend to trust the church latin pronunciation rather than the Germanic Holy Roman Empire version.

Kek

The Latin used by the Catholic church is different from the Latin used during the late republic.

Shit the written Latin was probably different from the spoken language at the same time.

We know how they pronounced things because they themselves wrote how to pronounce their own language numbnuts. Here's Quintilian saying nobody should need to use the letter K at all because the letter C is always hard before vowels.

Romans themselves wrote a lot about how they pronounced their letters.

About this "C pronounced like K", there is a lot, and I mean A LOT of evindence.

If anyone is interested in what and how we know about latin pronunciation, i recomend the book "Vox Latina", which can be easily found on PDF:

ganino.com/files/Latin Copyright Books/29 Vox Latina The Pronunciation of Classical Latin.pdf

If the Cs weren't pronounced like we would think, how was Caesar pronounced?

Kai-zar, like in New Vegas

K-eye-sar

Don't take my word for this, this is how legionaries pronounced his name in Fallout: New Vegas

Kaiser, as the Germans still pronounce it.

Muslims also say Kaiser

One of the Ottoman sultan's titles was Kaysar e Rum

>all the restored pronunciation faggots ITT
Ecclesiastical is the way to go
Chi-che-ro
Che-sar

>cuck latin

She se ro

That actually sounds a lot cooler than Sissero.

Shoo-kay-rhuu

Sounds like a Dragon Ball Z character