/ovg/ - Cute Adam spotted in Dirt 4 edition

Welcome to Auto Vidya General, the place to talk about driving and racing games

Previous Thread: Our Wiki will answer every question you could possibly have. All frequently asked questions can easily be found on the main page itself:
>get-good.net

Swing by our Mumble server and introduce yourself!
>Mumble IP: mumble.get-good.net
>Port: 64738

Join the /ovg/ group on Steam!
>steamcommunity.com/groups/ovgonsteam

Equipment Guide
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uLKMbKwweUZ3QvFeNs8UeycZbDyo0McxGj7T6uTaTNo/edit#gid=0

We're racing on the weekends. Check out our Google doc for more info!
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3KWTJsrlS9X2EZUNXY8KbHfsHD-t3_EU_A1n6wBBQc

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PIMTd5jGdwI
youtube.com/watch?v=IFZDBuPBYsM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>yfw all the plebians NEETs will be weeded out because they can't afford AC DLC

kill yourself

kill yourself

Because Veeky Forums won't display my massive post properly I guess I have to repost it here.

What does Veeky Forums think of these games?

>Rich Asshat Simulator (TDU2)

>ASS Corsa (Assetto Corsa)

>SHIT Autosport (GRID Autosport)

>Michael/Bay (Split/Second)

>Hot Wheels For Adults (TrackMania United)

>Old Ass Sim That's Still Popular For Some Fucking Reason (rFactor)

>BEST RACING GAME EVER MADE: MORE CARS YOU CAN'T USE IN CAREER MODE EDITION (Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2005))

>NOT AS GOOD SEQUEL TO THE BEST RACING GAME EVER: MORE CARS YOU CAN'T USE IN CAREER MODE EDITION (Need For Speed: Carbon)

>Driver: It's Not A Cheap GTA Clone Anymore (Driver: San Francisco)

>Fuck Helicopters: SHiT (Colin McRae: DiRT)

>SHiT 2 (DiRT 2)

>SHiT The Third (DiRT 3)

>Overpaid Asshole: SHIT (Race Driver: GRID)

>Wow This Game Really Does Hold Up With A Shitload Of Mods (NASCAR Racing 2003)

>Trans Turismo 666 (Gran Turismo 6)

>Shitnight Club The Third: Oversized Rims Edition (Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition Remix)

>Shitnight Club: Racist Police Edition (Midnight Club: Los Angeles Complete Edition)

>Trans Turismo: The Good One (Gran Turismo 4)

>Tame FlatOut: The Best One (Burnout 3)

>Not MotoGP: Much Better This Time (RIDE 2)

>MotoGP 2016 With MORE SHIT (Valentino Rossi: The Game)

Since I'm getting a new PC and also putting my old PS3 back together soon, I want to know if I should pick these up.

>it's not his goal to own every racing game ever made

>2%
TWO PERCENT FROM IT BEING FINISHED

I remember there was an OVG league in DiRT Rally, will you fucks make one in DIRT4? I want to pretend I have friends.

???

Are there any AWD cars for rFactor 2?

Preferably SUBARU

I remember there was an OVG league in rFactor, will you fucks make one in Whiplsh? I want to pretend I have friends.

what's the deal with car simulators?
I feel that no matter how much of a simulator a car game is, even if played in VR with a steering wheel and in one of those moving chairs, it still doesn't feel like a real car, not even by a long shot.

When I go fast in my car I feel everything with my ass, and more importantly, I feel everything before I see it, if that makes any sense to you guys. It feels faster to react based on feeling what the car's doing than on what I'm seeing. So many times I started braking before my eyes could see what was about to happen in front of me. At times I even found myself having to catch up with my reflexes and thinking "wtf, why did I just brake?", only to quickly see that someone slammed hard on the brakes in front of me.

Same with acceleration and feeling when the car loses grip or if I can make the corner with a certain speed based on all the feedback the car is giving me. This is something I simply have never felt in a simulator.

Maybe it's just me though, I see a lot of people on youtube playing dirt rally, that assetto corsa game and others and it looks fun as hell. Even saw a guy doing mad drifts with a set up in dirt 3 or whichever one it was that had those gymkhanas.

But whenever I played with a good setup it just felt so lacking and so devoid of the character a real car brings to driving fast.
No real sensation of speed. No real feedback other than my eyes and looking at the tach. No fear (ovbiously) of going in too fast and ruining myself and my car. I don't know.

What am I doing wrong lads?
>inb4 git gud

>tl;dr car simulators, while being simulators, never come close to me to the feel of a real car driven at high speeds. what am I doing wrong?

Yes simulators do not have buttfeels
Get good at using the other feedback you are given

I think its completely normal desu. I've never had the opportunity to use a full setup for racing, but I have for flight sims. It comes down to you being stationary, or at least stationary relative to your surroundings. Even if you have a moving seat, you're still sitting in the same place, whereas if you're in a real car you can feel every change in acceleration and physics in general.

The biggest appeal of sims is being able to drive things that I otherwise would NEVER be able to IRL. For example the chances of me seeing a real Lanica Stratos irl in the US is probably 1:1 trillion, much less to actually drive one on a rally stage.

Why the hell is no one updating the wiki?

do it

>Even if you have a moving seat, you're still sitting in the same place, whereas if you're in a real car you can feel every change in acceleration and physics in general.

I think it boils down to this for me desu, you said what I was trying to explain.
Yeah it's pretty comfy to be able to drive cars I would never get the chance to drive in real life.
also I'll take this user's advice as well

Why the hell is this thread moving so slowly?

>he considers that slow
hownew.ru

>When you try to pit manuever someone and ended up spinning out yourself as they continue on like nothing happened

guess thats what happens when I try to be a dick

What game desu?

Were you in a red civic?

You have to mentally translate the camera movement and tire scrub sounds in the game to buttfeels.
If you've driven ANY car before, you have a good basis for what a simulated race car will do intertially. Even at 55 mph, when you round a bend, you are getting pushed to the outside by the same force that a rally driver must endure when drifting a corner at 85 mph. You can extrapolate that feeling with the simulator. Set the wheel to match your real car's power steering. Pretend you are in your car. Now you are simulating a race car on your computer and a road car in your mind.

It requires some practice and rapt attention to the game and wheel. You can get those subtle cues that the car is starting to slide, but you almost need to hunt for the game's reaction and figure out what it's trying to tell you from what limited feedback it can give. Eventually, you will build in your mind a database of common sense driving techniques that will work well in pretty much any simulator or game.

The reason "good" setups feel flat and dull is because they are tuned for the driving style of those who tuned them to be as stable as possible and thus fast. Try making your own instead.

simulator is meant to be handling certain important aspects of situation, not nailing 1:1 recreation of everything that happens there.

Set "1:1" fov, set up FFB nicely, and prepare for it to never be anything near real thing. FOV makes a huge difference in feeling the car, but it still needs a lot of time compared to real driving. So, like, git gud, but after setting right FOV if you haven't yet. It even reflects on daily live if you do it too much:

>used to play vidya with bad fov, too wide
>falling out of corners in real (rental, nothing serious) gokarts for first couple of minutes, everything feels too slow
>then set it up narrow fov, maybe even too narrow
>suddenly karts are crazily fast

why don't we move over to ?

The threads last longer there, and it's supposed to be for video game generals.

tl;dr: simulators REQUIRE the use of your brain to get anything out of them, they are not mindless entertainment that does everything for you like the majority of video games today.

thx for the info lads, this actually gets me hype to get a wheel at home and play.
Usually played dirt rally at a friend who has a setup and it felt pretty rewarding when I got gud at controlling rwd cars with over 200hp.

because we are talking about the mathematical simulation of automobiles, not video games with cars in them.

also the /ovg/ threads on Veeky Forums died super fast and nobody posts in them because the only people on Veeky Forums who want to have actual discussions about cars come to Veeky Forums.

Try a game with actual race tracks like AC or rFactor. It's easier to develop sim racing technique when you aren't spearing off into the woods every time you fuck up.

We're car fans that like racing vidya(and other shit too), not /v/irgins that happen to like racing vidya.

I know a lot of people play that iRacing thing or what's it called. how good is it?
I know they laser scanned real tracks, but I mean in terms of physics and handling and everything.

Assetto Corsa

I was feeling some [COOL VIBRATIONS] but I wasn't driving a civic

Just do what he said with rFactor and assetto Corsa. iRacing is good, but you have to pay for everything

o-ok

If i wanted a game to fuck me with dlc I'd just buy iracing, at least its a finished game

one month of iracing sub, one car, and one track on average would cost you as much as AC and all of the DLC

iracing is amazing in its own way, try it. Although it's better to get good before trying, so you won't stay in shit group with your miata cup in your free miata cup - in low skill ranks, people mostly don't know how to drive.

It's full of cancer like every multiplayer game, but it feels refreshing to see this kind of cancer. It's mostly about tryhards breaking down mentally because you scratched their car and now they won't get full safety rating bonus, or people crying in chat because of some random, unreasonable thing. Despite all of that, iracing "matchmaking" is amazing thing and surely something that one should experience. Just wait for promotions, they often give three months for two dollars or something like that.

And you don't have to pay for "everything", miata is free and tracks in miata cup are also free. It gets expensive when you want anything more.

You still can feel a fucking lot in your wheel, yes you feel mostly everything with your ass, but feeling with the wheel is important too, and for me this is enough to say sims are still pretty SIM-ish with a feedback wheel

>he is hype to get a wheel
the fall will only be harder. it will be beautiful to watch.

That's ASS Corsa's retarded AI for you.

The tracks are great, the oval racing physics are literally the best, but that's primarily because it's based on a 14-year-old game that was the best stock car simulator ever made --Papyrus' Nascar Racing 2003.
If you want to turn left, just download NR2003 -- the AI is smarter than the majority of humans on iRacing.

You have to spend money to buy an iRacing subscription, then you have to spend more money buying cars and tracks. There is free content, but the quality of the racing with that content is something like playing chess with 25 pigeons.

The road racing content is okay, again the tracks are great, but the cars all have physics compromises so they will work in a game originally intended only for American stock cars. This means that when driven hard, the cars do not behave realistically. You also can't have more than 5 different car models per race, and there is no day/night cycle so 24-hour races run in the service occur in perpetual darkness or daylight.

update what?

[COOL VIBRATIONS]?
youtube.com/watch?v=PIMTd5jGdwI

xD is that an Initial D reference???

Anyone else complete Gran Turismo 4? I started re-playing this game on an emulator and managed to complete the game a couple weeks back. My thumb (pic related) was complete sour and was surprised with this ending clip I never knew even existed:

youtube.com/watch?v=IFZDBuPBYsM

>you can get iRacing RIGHT NOW for $9.99
>AC is currently not on sale and won't be for months
>AC is $30.00
>AC DLC totals to $72.90
Wow for $102.90 i can buy and play an unfinished game that still feels like early access! It's okay that it doesn't have a weather system, a day/night system, a good career mode, or more than 15 cars without DLC, it has good handling!

>Veeky Forums
>expecting anything other than an initial d meme

lurk more furfag.

>not just a tripfag, a furfag too
>doesn't understand what's happening
Leave.

>tfw stefano ran over your dog
sorry for your loss

youre pretty much comparing apples to oranges there

casual

>you can play iracing for ONE DAY before getting bored of the shitty miata and stock cars
not to mention you can just pirate the AC dlc

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
| | | | |
F I X E D

i've bought ps2 recently and gt4 was must have. It's nice to finally play GT with licenses that both matter and are kinda demanding. But hey, i have cheating device this time.

>some later license missions
>got stuck on one in terrible way, couldn't hit silver
>connected g27
>first attempt, worse time
>second attempt, time equal to gamepad best
>third attempt, silver

It's a common misconception that having ""just"" a name is somehow better than a trip.

tfw you're a bad driver and stuff like this is a regular occurence when I play

consider using the brake

Either use your brake or stop racing against ai with shitty braking points

I'd go as far to say its the opposite with oval and road cars in iRacing. The tires on oval cars are still the old shitty ones where you get into a retarded death wobble as soon as you go a bit too sideways that you have to fix by jamming the gas and brake at the same time. At least (most) road cars are on the current not shitty tire model that actually behaves like a tire, which allows you to catch slides and lets you drive confidently.

Join multiplayer servers instead.

I did brake though

running out of fucks to give studio 420

S
A
V
E
D

I don't have any confidence that the other cars aren't just using a hacked-up Stock Car live rear axle physical model similar to the way rFactor can be forced to simulate other suspension types despite only being able to properly represent double-wishbone and pushrod suspension. The new tire model is just a mask for an inherently flawed, outdated physics engine.

Oh please, don't make me bust out the calculator to show you that getting iRacing with ALL its content would cost well over $1000, and it STILL feels like a bad game that went F2P.

M3 doesn't brake nearly as well as 458. Their braking zone will start a lot earlier than yours. This is basic multiclass racing stuff desu

yeah with a wheel all the licenses are easy gold

Am I the only one who buys racing games that claims it SIM and play it when I feel like driving a specific car and track that the the other games don't have or because I feel like racing the physics of a specific game, not because the game is bad or not?

p1 gtr is cray

Its not like a I love iRacing, I just said that if i were to be fucked by DLC, I'd at least want it to be by a better game

I've gotten bored with circuit racing and I want to try touge drifting. I've spent plenty of time learning how to drift so I can do that well enough, but how do I drift on the touge? I can't do anything without hitting guardrails or flying off into the woods. How do I tighten my turns?

go slower, drift corner entry speed is super slow. you should be able to fine-tune your corner position just by using throttle

>implying iRacing has a career mode, or a day/night cycle to begin with
>implying iRacing has mods
It's a dumb comparison and you know it.
Also, AC goes on sale very often, so it's not as expensive as you make it sound.

ac career mode is a joke though

Learn normal drift on normal drift track (highlands-drift is cool because it has roundabout, and trying to keep drift in roundabout is great exercise), then go back on touge and learn the track.

>best karts in racing vidya
>no karting servers, at least not a single populated one
i guess people really do hate fun

Make deliveries up and down the pass every day with a cup of water in the cup holder. Try to go as fast as you can without spilling the water. After a couple years you'll be king of the downhill.

just make sure your dad is capable of moving around/driving with his eyes closed, it's crucial

b-b-but kartkraft...

The comparison I'm making is both fuck you with DLC, but iRacing is the better game, and if I wanted to play a game where i get fucked by DLC, I'd at least want a better game. I'm more of an rFactor, p cars, and forza kind of guy myself

I have yet to have a race in iRacing where there wasn't a crash that took out half the field in the opening 3 laps, does it ever not happen?

No

No, but it happens in ARCA SimRacing X™ when played by the top tier of oval racing drivers known as /ovg/™.
Join OVGTURNLEFT™ now!

I'm already signed up pal
Also what the fuck is up with the whole mandatory pit for repairs or be DQd? I've never fucking seen a oval track do that and it's bullshit and has cost me races

OVGTP server has now been updated with the 2014 LMP1 Hybrids and the new Audi R8 LMS 2016 replacing the outgoing Ultra. New download files can be found on the google doc, will update links with just the required content soon. But the server is up for those who want to practice.

Heads up for driving the Audi P1, shift when the shift lights on the wheel hit red, you can go a bit above that. But revving the engine out will cost you a ton of time as well as damage the engine.

>I'm more of an rFactor, p cars, and forza kind of guy myself
>p cars
>PCARS

please be of kill self

aris says 4300rpm is optimum
>Change when the Leds are full light.

What's wrong with P Cars

45 minutes until the quali for the AC pick ups.
The cars and the info are on the doc.

>What's wrong with P Cars
>WHAT'S WRONG WITH P CARS

Put your trip on James...

...you faggot THERE I CALLED HIM A FAGGOT CAN I BE ACCEPTED NOW?

lame

Why does it transform into a 2005 Pontiac GTO?

where can i get the updated AC DLC?
and no i dont mean the steam page