Chrysler will never be a luxury brand again

>Chrysler will never be a luxury brand again
>Lincoln is rebounding, mainly in China but people will always see them as an airport limo company
>Cadillac is throwing away it's identity and trying to be BMW
>Packard headquarters is rotting to this day

What happened to American luxury

>Cadillac actually makes good cars now

THIS IS TRULY A DEVASTATION

>American
>Luxury
Also this

Buick trys to aim for the young crowd while making shitty old people cars. If they only spent the money from their useless marketing campaign on making a new grand national they would save their brand. No debt ridden unemloyed millenial wil ljump on 40k buick cause some ad told him they are now cool

I work in the car business and holy shit is Chrysler trashy, it's like putting on a pair of artificial leather, fake gucci loafers. At least Cadillac still had a nice ride quality, Chrysler has no redeeming qualities and really only appeals to blacks

>Chrysler will never be a luxury brand again

Well, compared to Dodge it is. However I think considering how wide the FCA is now, that spots been taken by the other brands it owns. I will say, I sat in a loaded 200 the other day and it felt extremely luxurious.

it was always a joke compared to Euro companies anyway

dont think they could be considered luxury except for shit like Packards in the 1930s and whatnot

American car companies are used to leading the world, and since the 70's they have floundered about once they were overtaken in quality and ingenuity. They are primarily reactive now, following what others do. That's why they're trying to be Honda, BMW, etc. They pissed their good names away with shitty quality in the malaise era, and have no idea how to recover.

From the outside, it looks like their biggest concern is how to make things cheaply. After that, maybe they'll make some attempts at something nice.

Nah, Cadillac, Lincoln, and Chrysler were twice as luxurious majority of any car manufacturer from the 70's to late 90's. The whole reason they were popular to begin with was that very reason. Nothing BMW made in the 70's or 80's could top Cadillac for comfort and luxury in that era.

lol what

>classic German cars

There's a reason why cadillac was once the standard and why the continental was the basis that luxury cars were judged

wrong

they just put shitty couches in cars that ride awful and called them luxury

Lincoln of the same year

why are you comparing a sports car to luxury cars

that doesnt make much sense

Nah, they're known for comfy rides and being luxurious. Or did you not read "The whole reason they were popular to begin with" bit?

The thing you posted looks tiny as fuck. I'd take a 70's fleetwood over that any day.

sounds like you have insecurity issues and need a large car or something

large =/= luxury

in what world is a 17 foot long car small anyway

and nah they ride like shit have been in several
the seats are awful and have no support too

like I said American luxury cars are a joke

and youre one of the reasons they are if you like them

>large =/= luxury

The large the car is, the more room there is to position yourself in. Jesus are you this dumb?

>ride like shit
Nope.

>awful seats
Again, no.

>American cars a joke
Sounds like a butthurt Europoor if you ask me. Where did the Big 3 touch you?

:eyeroll

youre the type of ignorance that cant be taught anything

tasteless and blinded by patriotism

oh well at least that means you wont be defiling any good cars with your presence

>:eyeroll
Hello r eddit

Is this nigga serious? There's a reason why lincoon and cadillac were the top 2 until the early 2000s

There's also a reason why lincoln is growing faster than any German brand in China and cadillac too, because they want smooth rides and don't care for harsh sporty suspension

Why didn't celebrities drive bmws and Mercedes back then?
Because there were much better alternatives

300Cs are luxurious as fuck inside.

People don't care about real luxury anymore. They only care about phone connectivity, backup cameras, side cameras, forward cameras, infotainment and navigation systems, etc. They don't care about real luxury like seats that are actually comfortable.

they were never on top

old people and nignogs bought them

anyone into real luxury cars knew better

blinded by patriotism retards
ill informed
bad taste

many explanations

once again real luxury seekers had Mercedes Rolls and Bentley

theyre a joke

this nigga really brings up China where VW is king and where multiple BMW and Mercedes models make up the best selling list

lol look at this redditor having a meltdown

lol look at this damage control

lol look at this redditor having a meltdown

In the top 10 there are no BMWs or Mercedes, there are a lot of VWs and a Buick though.

>China
Lincoln is growing faster year by year than bmw, mercedes and audi ever did since their introduction to the market 2 years ago
In China average cadillac buyer is 30
>once again real luxury seekers had Mercedes Rolls and Bentley

What? In the 80s and 90s mercedes was selling 50-70k cars a year while lincoln and cadillac were pushing 150-200k

You know nothing about the US market

Retard blinded by patriotism

I didnt say top 10 I said best selling

in which the 5 series 3 series GLC and E class all rank on there

yes

theyre not real luxury cars

they are cheap psuedo shit so ofc they sell more

no one seriously into luxury buys an American car

but you are too retarded to realize this

Yeah, top 10 best selling, what the fuck did you think I meant you dunce?

Are you clinically retarded?

Blinded by patriotism?

Unlike BMW MBA and audi all Lincolns are imports and subject to the tariffs yet they are growing faster than the 3

I sat in a Q5 and the entire dashboard was a flat slab of black plastic

this dumb fuck can only count to 10 lmao

sounds about right for anyone who would defend this garbage

this dumbfuck moves the goalposts as far as he can lmao

doesnt mean they are good either

every American "luxury" car Ive been was awful

American "luxury" is a joke

I dont care who likes it the fact that people think its worth a shit just goes to show how low of standards people can have

there user you learned something today

I doubt you have ever rode in a classic American car

Which ones exactly? Or are you pretending just so you feel better about you?

If they aren't good then why are people buying them?

Stay made Europoor. Maybe one day you'll grow up and see actual facts. These brands and cars wouldn't have survived as long as they have if they didn't move.

>LADA IS IN TOP MILLION SELLING CARS WORLDWIDE SO ITS A BEST SELLER

look at this loser having a meltdown lmao

70s Cadillacs and Lincolns
80s Oldsmobiles and Buicks
90s Buicks and Cadillacs
2000s Cadillacs

nah they all shit compared to every BMW and Mercedes Ive been in

cant even get started on the Maybach I got to ride around in

they think soft seats with no support and suspension like a boat is comfort

nah it feels like shit

they dont have the talent to engineer a luxury car

they will always be imitators

Americans cant luxury

people bought shitty cars all the time always have always will

yes user

I will stay "made"

made of good taste

nice plebbit spacing and buttrage, maybe you should go back to farming your upboats, loser

Don't fool yourself you have never rode in a Maybach

Which models? Fleetwood? Eldorado? You're very vague

Your anecdotal evidence doesn't count user. Both Lincoln and Cadillac have been ADVERTISED as luxury vehicles since the 60's. They've been BOUGHT as luxury vehicles since then.

You can be mad all you want, but denying facts is straight up ignorance.

He's bullshitting, Euroclowns can't afford Cadillacs

There were 4 new Buicks parked near me at school.
It seems to be working somewhat.

>Chrysler

It was doomed after Walter P. failed to set up proper management practices and direction. After that it was basically careening from one disaster to the next. The wonder is that it's survived so long.

Chrysler had a shot at being a luxury brand until the abysmal quality 57's came out and destroyed company revenues for long enough that they never had another chance to recover. You can see it early in how long they had to drag out the Imperial's chassis into the 60's with its 50's wrap-around windshield and it just gets worse from there. Then add in the epic mismanagement of the Townsend era. For all hs faults Iacocca put them on the right path and Chrysler was rocking it in the early 90's until yet another management failure by a CEO who was looking for a payday rather than the best interests in the company set them on the course to today, and all because Iacocca didn't like Lutz so he put Eaton in charge instead.

>Americans can't into luxury

Then what is this?

Maybach BTFO

>60's

Try the 10's

>What happened to American luxury

CROSS OVERS

your brain likely cant process an argument nor how to make posts past that of a 12 year old desperately trying to troll but just lmao

nigga it was big yellow and had 4 doors and had that automatic leveling shit

like I paid attention to the name

and yeah renting a Maybach 57S on vacation with a group of people is impossible

shit was like $3000

I can advertise a Civic as a sports car
people can buy it as a sports car (and lets face it some people act like they are anyway)

doesnt make it a sports car

vaporware

>loser continues to dive deeper into his meltdown

oh and that was for the 70s Cadillac
the 2000s and 90s was a Seville/STS

70s Lincoln was a Continental 1978
Buicks were Regals
Olds was a Delta 88

Someone make an autistic screeching out of this lmao

>After that it was basically careening from one disaster to the next.
Start naming them.

>came out and destroyed company revenues
You are now aware Chrysler was always the smallest of the big 3. They never had any money to begin with.

>Chrysler was rocking it in the early 90's until yet another management failure by a CEO who was looking for a payday rather than the best interests in the company set them on the course to today, and all because Iacocca didn't like Lutz so he put Eaton in charge instead.
Chrysler stopped existing after the Damnliar merger.

>inb4 memes
not only has my Dad worked for Chrysler but do did my Grandpa and i would be there too if the plant didn't shut down in 2008.
Your ideas theories that Chrysler was so poorly managed don't hold water. They have survived all the way up until the 90's in the underdog position
>muh AMC
AMC wasn't a survivor but the Chrysler brand is still here to this day.

Have you ever driven a 1966 Imperial? They're exceptional cars. I've competed in togue runs with mine and beat modern cars. They are incredible vehicles; real luxury performance sedans.

I was going to bother with a point-by point rebuttal, and then decided that you were right and everything was always peachy with Chrysler and they never had a problem ever and had nothing to do with why they "stopped existing" in the 90's yet still managed to "shut down a plant" in 2008

What's that got to do with anything? The cars were dated and Chrysler didn't have the money to replace them with anything that was an improvement which marked the visible beginning of the end of Chrysler as a luxury manufacturer and brand.

They may have had dated aspects, but they WERE competent luxury cars and are still adequate today. I have one sitting kitty-corner from my '67 Rolls Royce and I choose to daily drive the Imperial.

>They may have had dated aspects
Then they were dated. Even today a model is considered stale by five years on the market and turnover was much quicker then. Judging by the halving of production from 64 to 66 the market of the time agreed.

They're less dated now than they were when new, though, and that was only aesthetically. They've held up remarkably well and are one of the best cars of 1966.

>decided that you were right and everything was always peachy with Chrysler and they never had a problem
I never claimed this.
I was asking you to start naming what problems they had, because you likely only heard Veeky Forums say it at one point and took it as gospel.

>yet still managed to "shut down a plant" in 2008

Damnliar AG*

it dawned on me the other day, that the American auto industry will inevitably go the way of the British one.

I remembered what happened to the british car industry, how they all eventually consolidated into one megacompany which then cannibalized itself and got parted out to foreign automakers...

Think about it. At the beginning of the 20th century there were over 100 American car companies

By the 50's, it was less than 10, it became the big 3, with 2 or 3 smaller outliers like Studebaker-Packard, AMC, and Kaiser.

And by the 90's, it became exclusively the Big 3.

And now, Chrysler is owned by Fiat. So only 2 of the big 3 are technically American anymore.

I can see the inevitability, and it makes me sad.

American innovation goes toward trucks now because the average citizen has so much freedom that we literally NEED bigger vehicles.

>old people and nignogs bought them
in the 90's forward.

till then, Cadillac and Lincoln was a respected luxury brand

>anyone into real luxury cars knew better

lol, the only reason anyone bought European luxury back in the day was to show off that they had the money to buy an import. Not because the luxury was better or worse. It was plain and simple attention whoring. "look at me, I have a MERCEDES BENZ, it was made in EUROPE"

>By the 50's, it was less than 10, it became the big 3, with 2 or 3 smaller outliers like Studebaker-Packard, AMC, and Kaiser.
That's because the Great Depression wiped out all the small mom&pop automakers.

Chrysler was initially bought out because they were flat fucking broke and always have been but they were managed well enough (watch this trigger 20 anons) that they could put out the volume to be a big manufacturer.

You're right though, American cars don't even have an identity anymore except for the precious """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""muscle""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" cars like Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger.

>Not because the luxury was better or worse. It was plain and simple attention whoring

people bought American luxury cars despite the luxury being worse because

"LOOK AT ME I SUPPORT AMERICA!"

As the economy rebounded from the post-war boom they realized they couldn't maintain the level of quality for the price, and instead of upping the price they decided to down the quality. In order not to make it look like a downstep they kept the size and instead went for the cheapest materials, fake everything and tons of parts bin engineering and rebadging. Hence the term shitbarge. These piles of crap may have looked decent enough to the kitsch loving eyes of Americans when new but worn down they aren't worth the weight in scrap value, unlike old European luxury cars. The '70s were the downfall. At that point people simply got used to the realization that foreign luxury cars are much better. And with the general level of jewery and fuckery committed by Detroit in the last 40 years still no one is trusting them to build good luxury cars again.

>nothing BMW made
>posts a fucking rolls

Nice job.

It's only because protectionism made it so they barely had to even try for 50 years. No one could compete with their prices and all good imports were either banned or neutered. Ford is the only company that actually has actually evolved.

If by freedom you mean fat reserves. And you don't need bigger vehicles, you only want them in the eternal race to look wealthier than your neighbors (and because you've skipped on infrastructure maintenance since Reagan and the roads are in absolutely APPALLING condition now).

I wasnt so much talking about identity as just numbers. There used to be some degree of competition, even back in the depleted post-war market, but these days, there isn't any real competition anymore, they all do the same thing for the same market, and occasionally they accidentally make something unique.

but you're right, they dont have an identity anymore, and I blame Ford for this, because they were the ones that started global car design with "one ford" which attempted to turn American car tastes into European car tastes so they could sell the same small engined shitboxes everywhere. And then because of high gas prices and CAFE pressure, everyone else followed suite. If nothing else, the only thing that kept pace was Trucks and SUV's, because demand for those never dropped, even at the height of the economic collapse.

Europoors think their sporty, overpriced and unreliable shit boxes are superior to American land barges

good thing I never said anything about BMW you retard

American fanboys a so stupid

Lol? companies don't change the market - the market changes the companies.

>It's only because protectionism made it so they barely had to even try for 50 years.
Wrong. They still had to compete with each other.
Furthermore the Beetle has been in the US since 1949 but nobody wanted to buy that piece of shit.

But germans are obsessed with forced obsolescence. Biodegradable wiring harnesses. Plastic coolant system parts. Sealed transmission.

They only seem to rustproof better than domestic cars. Especially audi

>Lol? companies don't change the market - the market changes the companies.
You're trying to apply this logic to something as monolithic as the American auto industry.
You tried at least.

B-but muh B-body.....

Okay dude. Enjoy being wrong.
The beetle was hugely successful by the way.

holy shit are you underaged or just retarded?

overseas competition in the US market didn't really take off until the 80's. It started in the 60's, but nobody really bought them because buying American was just the way things were. "this is the local car company, I know it so I'll buy it. I dont know that gook company"

maybe this doesnt quite compute to your 15 year old brain, but until the 90's, there was this concept known as "nationalism". Where the entire country took pride in what it produced and only bought what it produced. it was just part of the culture.

You were either a Chevy guy, or a Ford guy. You bought a Japanese car and you'd get laughed at.

Everything was still made in the US up till the early 90's anyway, including Japanese cars.

>The beetle was hugely successful by the way.
Maybe in Mexico.

It took them 7 years to even make a chunk of sales lmao meanwhile the Impala was the best selling passenger car bar none for how many years?

yeap sold for 30 years but no one wanted

I guess the millions that were sold never existed

>but nobody really bought them because buying American was just the way things were. "this is the local car company, I know it so I'll buy it. I dont know that gook company"

you fucking retard thats pretty much what I said

I even brought up nationalism eariler

goddamn you are the dumbest fucker itt

the cars were shit people only bought cuz HURR MURIKA

>They still had to compete with each other.
90% of the market were American cars in the 50s and 60s and they all the same idea of cars. Not exactly what I'd call competition.

Modern ones maybe, but between an '80s Cadillac and an '80s Mercedes I know what I'll pick.

>Where the entire country took pride in what it produced and only bought what it produced.
Even if it was complete garbage.

>Not exactly what I'd call competition.
you'd be fucking wrong then.
You think Ford or Chrysler are just going to sit by while Chevy owns over half of the auto market?

I'm not exactly losing if someone else owns 40% of the market and I own 30% of the market. Nowadays there are so many equally popular car makers, each one can consider themselves lucky to own 10% of the market.

why are you so butthurt/
WHAT are you so butthurt about?

please, help me to understand your pain.

Where did the American car company touch you?

>I'm not exactly losing if someone else owns 40% of the market and I own 30%
That's 40% that you could own.
Good thing you don't own a business my friend.

I love this defense where people try to act like people are mad when they voice how bad something is

beta tier damage control

you sure sound mad to me.

And you came into this thread just to shitpost about how much you hate american cars instead of just ignoring the thread.

sure seems mad to me

Or I could just focus on serving my 30% better so they don't turn into 20%. Whenever you're hellbent on selling your product to as many people as possible the result is a pile of shit.

yes

we get it

youre a beta who cant do arguments so you ignore everything

youre too spineless to even have a discussion

the topic is

>What happened to American luxury

its being discussed

sorry I triggered you

>hurr durr people who hate American cars aren't allowed in threads about why American cars are shit.
Literally turn off your computer if you can't deal with criticism against your precious Detroit buttfucker companies.

You're literally seeing it happen right now, dude.
Holy shit Americans really are fucking idiots.

>Or I could just focus on serving my 30% better so they don't turn into 20%
Yeah well that's why it's good that you don't own a company.

Im not triggered, but you are the one who again, came in to shitpost about LOL LUXURY IT WAS NEVER GOOD EUROPEANS DO IT BETTER LOL

so seems like someone triggered you.

it's ok user. sometimes people like thing that you don't like.

it happens. people have different opinions

I was talking in the past tense retard.
>yuro "education"

I'm sure you've got businessmaking all figured out, that's why you're on Veeky Forums arguing with NEETS from across the globe instead of running a company.

yeah

and apparently the only people who can post are those who share your opinions

you are sjw tier

Veeky Forums isnt your safespace sweetie

American cars were good at some point, but then they turned into shit. And overstuffed grandparent sofas on wallowing long wheelbase frames couldn't prevent it, because that's not what makes cars luxurious.

you don't need to samefag, we get it, you;re a butthurt eurocuck. Now go back to your cuckshed before Muhammed gets back home

:eyeroll

hes getting more sad as it goes along

desperately clinging to whatever he can insulting anyone he doesnt agree with

sjw tier logic confirmed