Haggling general

how do you haggle with car salesmen?

how do you haggle with private owners?

Offer 10% off starting price, aiming for 5% off. Also give a round number with them paying govt costs

Just decide on how high you're willing to go and leave it. There's nothing out there you can't wait for a proper deal on anyway

beta faggots detected

For salesman:
>know what car you want
>know the price you are willing to pay for said car
>know what to look for (common issues). Finding a problem they maybe weren't aware of can save you money, especially if you can fix it yourself
>have some semblance of self confidence. Being dominant in a conversation goes a long way
>most importantly, be prepared to walk away if they can't meet you at a reasonable price

I talked 9% off the sticker + a wheel refinish on my most recent purchase because I knew what I was getting into and the value of the car before I even called.

A lot of the same can be applied to private buyers, just be personable.

Fuck off, the 10 and 5 rule is fair. Also bring a friend numbers can embolden you.

Don't ever buy from a dealer. They're crooks. As for private sellers, just do what they do on TV.

>how do you haggle with private owners?

First of all even though you might love the car and find it awesome its always good to show absolutely no emotion towards it. Always act as if you are actually barely interested in it.

then lowball them and if they get offended, tell them to make a counter offer.

>implying haggling is about fairness

>Want to sell car for 4k
>Get offered 2k
>No
>Lol make me a counter offer then :^)
>4k

>not selling the car at all in the end

>getting fucked because you don't have patience

>Acting like an emotionless robot and smuggly instructing the seller what he should do

Yeah no. And considering this is a car enthusiast board we are buying car enthusiast cars. Emotionless is good at a dealer but for a private seller some emotion and showing you want it would make the seller flexible.

Haggling is super-easy, but you have to be willing to walk away from a good deal.

Owner or salesman, makes no difference.

Give them the impression that you were excited to see the car, but now that you're looking at it.. meh.

He's selling it for $10,000 be reasonable, but kind of aggressive. "Look, I don't think this is worth 10K, but I'll take it for 8."

If he says no, walk.

If he says "hey wait, can you do 9?" alright, you can talk.. you can either make a counter-offer or try and stick to your guns. Either way, the guy's got to know he's right on the brink of loosing the sale.

If he doesn't throw a counter-offer at you keep walking. His loss, not yours.

It's easier said than done if you really want the car. Just pretend you're playing poker. Straight face, be direct, don't act friendly, keep him under the impression you'll walk away at any second.

Also remember, it doesn't always work. If he's got the only MR2 or 240sx in town and lots of people are calling him, he'll tell you to go pound sand if you try and low-ball him.

Do coke with him first

Car dealers love coke

Check out how dirty the car is on the lot, generally a good indicator at how long it's been sitting. It's worth it to haggle with these, but new shiney cars are the ones that tend to get sold very quickly, and you're generally wasting your time haggling.

Also, keep in mind, you generally have to have a good position in the first place to haggle. Like, you're going to pay cash, or you have really good credit or something.

You're not going to accomplish anything walking in trying to haggle with a 200 credit score, and no down payment available.

You know, reading this thread, and your reply made me have a thunk.

Why is it when buy a car, you're supposed to have a price point in mind, and if the seller won't sell to you for whichever whichever price that is, just walk away. You'll find a better deal eventually. Why would you buy a car for more than you're willing to pay?
However, when you're selling a car, you're supposed to negotiate and ultimately sell it for a lower price that the buyer suggests. Why would you sell a car for a lower price than you're willing to get? Why not wait for someone willing to pay your price?

Now, I can understand there are special circumstances. Maybe you really want this car, and are willing to pay a little extra for it. Maybe you really need to sell this car, and are willing to lose out a bit just to get something for it right away.

Know what price you want to pay for the car, after factoring in how much it's worth and what you can knock off for any faults it has.

Make an offer slightly below your internal "final price" and see how the seller reacts. If they're not willing to negotiate then just walk away.

Remember this: there's more pressure on the seller than you the buyer, you can just walk away and find a similar car, but they have to decide if they'll sell you the car or wait for someone to give a better offer, which is usually very unlikely. More often than not people will offer $2500 for a car listed at $5000

And make sure you haggle after you've checked the car out, don't do it on the phone before you've even seen the car.

Walked away yesterday on a $500 dollar diffrence. Dealer didnt budge a single cent from asking price. When i mentioned the warped rotors, frayed flex pipe, and some rust underneath, he just said "oh idk, im not a mechanic".

That's because people who sell cars for a living are giant faggots. Private party is win-win for the consumer. Seller gets more than trade in and buyer gets a better deal than dealer rip off pricing.

Dealerships: don't be a dick and don't expect them to drop their price on the spot. Dealerships generally dont drop their pants too much but you can usually get them to sell it for the ticket price tax-in (13% saving here in canuckistan.) or better if they want it to move. Go at the end of the month when all the reps are desperate. Leave your number and walk. They will call back and when they do, say you have seen it around at better prices and you like the car but the price is just too high. They will offer you a lower price. Again, say maybe and hang up. Theyll call back two weeks later. At that point insinuate that you love the car but just can't justify the price, in the politest way ask them how long they plan on sitting on it. They'll ring you back and offer you a final hail mary price, at that point take it or don't, they won't be calling back.

Again, manners get you everywhere, if you're a dick or insult the car they will just have you take your business elsewhere. Even when they give you the 'ask the manager' runaround, be patient and polite and youll eventually get a great deal.

>t. Car salesman

if you mean buy here PAY here scam artists then yea those motherfuckers are pure scum

but if you are talking about a reputable dealership like subaru or ford or whatever they will probably be far less of a scammer than the private party i NO WHAT I GOT guy.

hell i used to be against dealerships too until i got sick of everytime i looked at a private party car the owner was lying out his ass about the condition of the car etc. where as the dealership will just try and overcharge you (but the car will be in good condition) just learn some haggling skills and dealership price wont even be an issue

Look kiddo,

Im some fit 6' alpha male talking his way into beautiful girls panties, no tinder needed, immaculately groomed and perfectly dressed, knows how to schmooze, sit at my desk all day playing video games and still walks out of there with 60k/yr on charm, social skills and a 10th grade education.

Youre a skinnyfat, pimply faced autist who cant look a girl in the eyes, vapes in his gay little jap racer with his bespectacled beta male buddies, all men, all the time, unable to talk without spaghetti, went to school and didnt get laid once in college, lives with or close to mom, and wears dirty ass t shirts and ill fitting jeans the few, few times he is in social settings.

Tell me again how im the faggot here.

Never said it wasn't, just how to do it

You sell shitboxes to single moms @ 20% interest to fuel your raging meth addiction. While your 5 year plan consists of getting a nice loaner so you can trick some bar skanks into dropping those panties for the 8th different guy this week. I'm sure 60k a year impresses welfare moms, you'lll eventually knock one up and will learn the pain of the phrase "my wifes son..." You are most definitely a giant fucking faggot.

Look for any imperfections with the vehicle, for example i bought a car with a cracked sunroof, the car was mint condition otherwise but i offered the seller 1000$ less then advertised price saying that the sunroof would cost me money to fix. only cost me 200 to fix

>dealership is owned by autonation
>salesman isn't allowed to negotiate as he says the prices are fixed as they are below market price
>drive to another town
>same shit

>private party
>Hey bro I'll give you 'X' amount
>3-500 less than asking
>Always works

where at??

This, they wouldn't have put the car up for sale if they didn't want to get rid of it. They're paying that 500 bucks to be done with it.

>60k/yr
is that supposed to impress anyone?

What a surprise, a car salesman who is a grade A cunt

My friend gave me this advice
Never say anything good about the car you're buying, don't compliment it because the seller can use that as leverage

Look Chaz,
Im some fat 5'5" beta male talking his way into that second hand mazda cx-7 outside, no finance needed because I got a personal loan, i'm wearing flip flops and a jersey with the name of my son's football team on it that doesn't fit, I'm still slightly drunk from last night, kicking the tires on your $70,000 mercedes show car and I smell like speed stick and shame.
Youre a used car salesman who needs to sell me that cx-7 and you have to be nice to me, you are unable to not respond to my 50 questions about air bags and capped servicing, and I'm going to ask them repeatedly and forget your previous answers, and then I'm going to try to offer you half the zero-profit margin price because I watched a video on youtube about negotiating.

Tell me again how great you think I'd look behind the wheel of that cx-7 and how much my ugly son will love the leg room.

This is basically my experience too. They say their price point is the least theyll take because of competition they price their cars aggressivly. And internet car sites offer an aspect of "transparency". They show the cars worth and the asking price for you to compare. Ussually the price is already a bit lower than the "kbb" worth. They will straight up tell you this if you try to haggle with them. Its their "ammo".

1. Decide what you would realistically like to pay
2. Make offer
3. Seller will either accept , counteroffer, or tell you to gtfo.

4. If counteroffer, you either...

You know, this is completely logical....why would anyone need to have it explained to them? Are you retarded or something?

New/used car salesmen here.

Get used to this. Every major auto group is going to this. I work at one of the last auto groups in our area that hasnt been bought out by a national overlord (although they are trying). Lithia, Autonation and Penske are expanding their territory and arent taking any shit anymore.

We use the same shit at work and you know what? It works. Why? Because we arent the only game in town. I know it, my GM knows it, and the customer knows it. So if we dont have a good price out on the internet no one is going to even come in. Period. On occasion my manager huffs some glue and tries to sell a vehicle for more then market value and it just fucking sits there collecting dust.

We don't really negotiate anymore. If your nice and you need $200 to make yourself feel like you got something, I can prob make that happen. But these days if you think you can walk into a reputable dealership and ask for thousands off, you should have kept scrolling down past the listing on the internet.

Forget the price of the car and focus on your trade in value if you have one. Thats where I'm going to get you. Ive turned $150 flats into $900 commissions just from that alone.

this is literally the WORST advice I have EVER seen.

If you're this bad at negotiations just go to carmax beta cuck.

It's common to get 15-21% off MSRP on BMW and MERCEDES.

you're settling for 5%? LOL

You idiot, you never tell them how much you're willing to buy it for.
Always let them blink first. Always.

Yep.
Get the dealership to pay more for your car.
Its the same as getting them to reduce the price of car you want to buy.

But why are they all of a sudden not willing to negociate anymore? Wtf is up with that trend?

The internet is destroying everything that was once good and pure. Welcome to the New World.

thanks for the literal pro-tip user

you have to understand, back in the day (im talking pre internet) you only had so many ways of going about buying a car. you could look in the newspaper, check out those used car magazines that are free at grocery stores, or just plain old waste your time going from local dealer to local dealer. they knew you werent going to drive 200 miles away to go to another dealership so your options are limited visibility wise. Because of that constraint they were able to sell a car and make $5k plus gross profit.

Now because of the internet everybody knows what everyones inventory is and what price its at. The model has switched from selling a few cars and making bank to hustling as many as you can and making smaller profits. Normal gross on our used cars are anywhere from $500-$1200. That high end might sound like a lot but the overhead to run a large dealership is insane. Fuck, it's not uncommon to actually lose money on a car as well. I sold one last month that was -$1000, and they still have to pay me for it. New cars are almost always flats unless I sell accessories (we get paid 50% of gross. Markup is usually 10%)

They aren't negotiating because if they did, they would not be in business.

Keep in mind everything I have said has exceptions. Mom and pop places, higher end shit (Porsche in particular), and shady places that havent adopted the model do not apply. Do your research and if the place is legit and the price is right, go get it.

One last thing: Check your state laws on doc fees. A lot of states cap that shit and if they do everyone is going to charge the same. If your state doesn't, watch that shit like a hawk.

>TFW you live in the middle of nowhere and can still haggle some gud deals

sanic is love

Hourly reminder that a business model that is not built on making money is shit.

Soon you'll be no better than the McDonalds down the road with how slim your margins will be.

I hired a car salesman to buy a car for me from a private seller.
I thought he did pretty well, about 9% off asking.

>hiring a car salesman to buy a car
He probably got even more off and pocketed the difference

Several times I've gone into a dealership with a list of options and a price I'm willing to pay. When they bid high, I just start crossing options off my list to get the price down.

Since they make a bucket-load of profit on options, they cave pretty quickly.

Doc fees? How do i check state laws? Ky here..

>He probably got even more off and pocketed the difference
Seeing as how he never met the seller, I kind of doubt it.
But feel free to explain how he scammed me, if you can.

I think Edmunds has an article from last year. Just Google delaership doc fee state caps and it should come up

You are prob right. Thinking about jumping ship at some point. Until then the money is okay for a few hours of work