/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Old Thread: >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Updateish-Beta Version):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Beta version available):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Updateish-Beta Version):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W9Q_gY-0onA&spf
youtube.com/watch?v=5SbzQBW_OAA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for never ever discord and no more p*** n**** in my thread!

frist ofr elf

Why do faggots keep posting these lame generic OP pics?

This particular pic has already been used in COUNTLESS OPs. Why not post any of the newer OC we have?

>Toady and Threetoe bow to Paul Noble
>In contact with the source code
>Possess psychic-like abilities
>Control Toady with an iron but fair fist
>Own castles & banks globally
>Direct descendants of the ancient royal blood line
>Will bankroll the first planes in the Myth arc (The Noble Plane will be be the first plane)
>Own 99% of game altering utilities in the DF community
>First creation myths will in all likelihood be Noble myths
>said to have 215+ IQ, such intelligence on Earth has only existed deep in Tibetan monasteries & Area 51
>Ancient development notes tell of an angel who will descend upon Earth and will bring an era of enlightenment and unprecedented short release intervals with him
>He owns DFHack scripts all around DFFD
>You likely have Noblebots inside your game right now
>Noble is in regular communication with the Scamps, forwarding the word of Toady to the forums. Who do you think set up the meeting between Toady & Tanya and arranged Toady's first trip to Korea in history literally a few months later?
>He learned fluent Toady spaghetti code in under a week
>Modders entrust their raws with him. There are no mods in DFFD, only PNFD
>He's are about 7 decades old, from the space
>time reference point of the base human currently accepted by our society
>In reality, he is a timeless being existing in all points of time and space from the big bang to the end of the universe. We don't know his ultimate plans yet. We hope he is a benevolent being.

HMMMM

Drop the children in a pool or water source, lock them up and let them be.
Also, wtf too many rangers.

>What especially?
Not any one thing, or even any particular genre. My collection is somewhere in the neighborhood of 450GB, and there's a good chunk of it I haven't listened to yet.
youtube.com/watch?v=W9Q_gY-0onA&spf is the first track from an album I go back to a lot that I think is really great for slow paced games like DF. And it has a vaguely mediaeval feel.

The explanation behind the high number of farmers and rangers is that I'm building a large above ground tower fort. Most of them do construction work, hence the lack of practical skills.

I don't play with my large screen atm, so I can't take any screens that make it justice. Here's a pic from last thread though: some sparring militiadorfs and the ghost of the babby who got killed by the werebeast earlier.

Tell me about the Masterwork
Why does it Veeky Forums hate the mod.

No, you should know better already.

bloat for the sake of bloat.

>bloat for the bloatfucks
>shekels for the mephfag

what if I bump?

The thread doesn't die.

The giant finds your fort in its last days.

now draw a qt giantess

>MFW I find "the hills of focusing" on a new game.
I'm new to dwarf fortress, what should I expect?

>tfw toady seems like he really wants to take the game in a dark and brutal direction, some kind of fantastical nihilism
>tfw you like dwarf fortress for the nice little wholesome bits

the world is cruel and uncaring, but i can get my dwarves to fulfill their hopes and dreams and raise happy families and live in pretty housing with lots of artists and performers and rituals filling their lives with meaning

>tfw you find out all your dwarves highly value leisure time
>tfw most of the non lazy dwarfs get killed
>tfw the lazy dwarfs die from the lack of food
I'm just waiting for this to happen.

!!FUN!!

dig deep, there's litterally nothing else interesting

DF has always been both brutal and whimsical with a touch of surrealism, a bit like some interpretations of the first D&D editions concluding that the setting is actually a weird post-apocalyptic world.
So I don't think heroism and positive nihilism (indeed trying to have a wholesome life in a nihilistic universe) is completly stranger to Toady's vision of DF.

I thought before going for the hard part I'd just get used to it playing adventure since its my first roguelike and I can't understand shit for now.
But I kinda refuse to install tilesets.

>But I kinda refuse to install tilesets.
Correct.
>I thought before going for the hard part I'd just get used to it playing adventure
Incorrect. Adventure is far more difficult and nuanced. Dorfmode is an autistic sandbox.

Noob here. I got my first legendary miner a while back, but he ended up dying in a small goblin skirmish (around ~10 goblins got to an area where there was being work done, military was subpar because i only have copper equipment and suffice to say there were casualties). Anyways, I can't view him anymore, so is there any way I can do some custom engraving to remember him by? Can I dedicate stuff to my first legendary miner?

On another note, I only have thus far found copper, gold, and gypsum. This is proving increasingly dangerous - valuable gold is an attraction for trouble. Copper equipment means basically for every goblin killed, a dwarf dies. I've tried to make them train more to make up for this, but I'm worried I'm going to get overrun. How can I counteract this?

Slabs if you can't get the body otherwise you can make statues or engravings of him with the detail option.

"I wont stand for this, Cillery. You wicked wicked necromancer!"
"OAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH-"

Sorry about the wait on this one.

What would a dwarf time machine look like?

traps. If your feeling especially cheesy, cage traps always captures any enemy as long as they don't have trap avoid, which gobbos don't have. If thats too easy you can make a few bolder/weapon traps to try and thin the horde before they reach your military.

>Make a peasant to do peasant stuff
>give him above average insight and willpower to make him like Sherlock Holmes
>This happens.

>watch a library full of scholars bite each other to death
>crawl through the vomit and sweaty blood looking for a new book genre to learn how to write
>head to the keep in time to pull a giant zombie alligator off of some poor maceman
>head inside and the lord is weeping over a lost kid
>find out where they are
>head there and go through the whole rescue-while-butchering-goblins fiasco
>bring kid back to their parent
>touching moment as they run forward and hug
>...then everybody pulls out their knives
>oh god why did I do this

realgar

Didn't he say he hopes to adjust it so that you'll be able to design the worlds whether they'll be grimdark, wholesome, or somethbing between?

He at least said so for magic.

Wait, adventure mode is harder?
That's how I learned to play

to have fun and understand what the fuck is happening and what you need to do, yes, adv is harder. A slip up anywhere and your head flies off in an arc.

It is harder, but there's nothing to do other than rampaging across the world.

So gay dorfs are a a thing, I didn't know.

wtf i hate dwarf fortress now!

i'm not mad, but i do wonder if toady will have the balls to make cultural views of homosexuality vary from civilization to civilization

Is there any way to "unweave" silk items into silk cloth? I have a guy in a fey mood who wants silk, but I don't have any unused silk cloth. I do have some slightly damaged silk clothing lying around though. I feel like there SHOULD be a way to "de-make" that, but there might not be

71,2% of dwarves are heterosexual, 23,8% are bi, 3,8% are not interrested in relationship, 1,2% are strictly homosexual
I personnaly don't disagree with how sexual orientations works in DF even if there is not enough dwarves actually marrying at all but that's more about how preferences/values works for the moment.

Yeah I wouls find it nice and I would be disapointed if it's biaised either way. (GAY MARRIAGE everywhere or HOMOS WERE NEVER TOLERATED IN ANY WAY IN ANY CIV BEFORE THE DEGENERATE WESTERN ONE)

95% are not interrested in relationship would be nice.

>Wanted wool
Only had a baby alpaca and she was 12...

>Been playing DF on and off for years
>Still can't make a reservoir with a screw pump
>Still can't penetrate an aquifer
>Still can't run a comfyfort for more than a few years before getting bored
>Still can't beat a Necromancer
>Still can't embark on evil land

Just read the wiki.

I did
Many times

I want to make a scholar fort, what skill are best for the starting dwarfs?

They don't say how to exactly do all these things? maybe you just need to memorize the exact method and you can't improvise.

>to the future
>beep beep!
Fucking killed me dead, Drew. So dead I can't even be reanimated, pulped head and all that jazz.

does paul noble play dwarf fortress?

delete your Veeky Forums account

Gama!

I lost all my plump helmet seeds does cooking plump helmets not give seeds?

>paul noble
Who?

Wasn't he the guy that worked on Jaws?

Paul Noble

Yes but he was also singer for Monophysist Duality.

No, that was Kit Duncan.

The guy from that Nightrider/Highlander crossover?

it shuold, but you may be cooking the seeds. check your cooking permissions with z

red is FORBIDDEN to cook (plump helmet spawn should be RED)
blue is OK to cook (NOT PLUMP HELMET SPAWN!!!!)

A lot of my military are becoming wrestlers, despite the fact that I've equipped them with spears and warhammers.

Is it possible my equips are messed up, or is this just a sign that they all have such shitty low combat levels that only one or two wrasslin demonstrations make them wrestlers

Maybe they just enjoy rolling around on the floor getting physical?

Can't you force them to use a weapon and specific skill? at least with DT and DFhack Manipulator custom jobs?

I just have a lot of plump helmet stew so something might have gone wrong there.

That happened to me as well, it's just from the low combat levels once they start sparing they'll use their weapon and get that skill up.
They still show off wrestling and other skills they have acquired (even biting).

Are werebeast militia worth it?

They can use weapons but if their size is too big they'll just drop the armor they have on.

What did DFAI mean by this?

Yeah but I mean, considering their bonuses nut their lack of armor and all, are they worth the trouble or they end up worse than normal dwarves?

They can only get better, organisation skill plays a big part in how quickly they do demonstrations or sparing. Though if they have these other skills they'll also do a demonstration for it.
It really doesn't matter to much they're bound to pick up some of these other skills through combat anyway just as long as theirs no cross weapon training you'll be right.

Love this mod so many armor and weapons...

Cooking destroys plump helmet seeds.

>wereantelope arrives
>oh fug, lost my last fortress to some loyalty cascades / tantrums that occurred as a direct result of werewolf contagion / infection
>set the civilians on alert to go to the burrow
>some DUMBASS ranger with a big fucking dick is all the way out in the middle of nowhere, suffice to say the wereantelope gets to him before the military can engage it
>starts wrasslin
>getting destroyed (as you might guess), losing blood, tendons in the spine popping, etc
>gets a lucky fucking punch to the wereantelope's mouf, and shatters literally all his fucking teeth
>wtf
>suddenly the ranger has the upper hand
>starts fucking biting this werebeast faggot
>cuz he's fucking paralyzed pretty much and can't do anything else
>how dare you fucking mess with Litast Zuglarlisid!
>wrestles the lanklet faggot wereantelope all the way down the hill, right into the oncoming military squad
>military squad makes quick work of him, without suffering any bites or barely any damage, CUZ IT'S GOT NO FUCKING TEETH

sorry this is so retardedly edited but it's the first thing that happened to me that i really understood fully what was happening

i also can't find the report because i think the fight went on for too long, so I don't have the description of it anymore, but the evidence is definitely there

this fucking ranger basically saved my fort

pls respond, is the report just gone if the fight goes on for too long? i'd like to have a screenshot of the blow that took the wereantelope's teeth out, but if i can't get it then whatever i suppose

seriously just look at this fucking shit

No it doesn't. just eat them raw.

>Sized for elves
Wonder how small it is...

gamelog.txt
ctrl+f antelope
Probably all you've got if the fight went on for a while and you have normal announcement settings.

FUCK I'M BEHIND SCHEDULE

youtube.com/watch?v=5SbzQBW_OAA

>that farm plot

is there anything comfier than picking a dwarf and following him around for a season?

arbitrarily deciding to lock all the doors in an entire bedroom corridor, then waiting for the dorfs there to turn into ghosts

Gassing peasants with miasma in a sealed chamber beneath a lake that floods once one of them goes insane and pulls a lever hooked to a floodgate.

>my first thought was wondering if there was a part two like "so you can use him for wrestling practice as he sleeps"
>then it hit me that this was talking about in fort mode and I might be a monster for jumping straight to torturing some poor dorfbro
>then I saw the next two posts

>Snake bite
Wondered why the herbalist died turns out she got bitten by a giant snake.

>Bunch of evil dwarfs showed up
>Wasn't sure who was winning
Only lost 2 dwarfs... and some of them didn't have complete set of armor on.
The combat logs seem rather awesome.

Reminds me of a Gary Larson comic. In fact, lots of your stuff does. Good stuff.

I have needed this image for so long, thank you.

there's wrestlin'
and then..

there's wrasslin

No, he was the assistant dolly grip for Jaws 3.

heard this was the best general on fgg

post your greatest memes

We dont meme here, thats what makes it the greatest general

i'm fucking out

oh no, quick someone post about paul noble

that black singer?

>Above ground forts are for elv-