Hey what the fuck is this? Do car manufacturers actually do this shit?

Hey what the fuck is this? Do car manufacturers actually do this shit?

Why not? Why do autotragic drivers need a pointless shifter in the middle of the car taking up space?

Yeah Chrysler does this. I feel like I'm one of the only people who doesn't mind it

The $450,000 Ford GT has this actually

What should replace the void?

This.

It's just something you interact with at the beginning and end of your drive, why have it take up more space than necessary?

Sticking a big gear shift lever in the middle of your car is just another thing to impale people on in an accident and reduce those IIHS safety ratings.

All that being said, it is nice to have something to rest your hand on, I suppose.

Yeah, I don't see why anybody cares. I've never driven an automatic and thought that having the knob there offered any convenience.

fucking this, I hate the console shifter in my 2014 F150. I'd much rather it be a storage compartment.

Bigger center console, cupholders, ashtray, change holder, anything really.

Stops retards selecting drive and park at the same time and running themselves over.

I had same problem.
I wanted bench seat in the front but You can't get them in Plat or higher trim.
I gave up leather and cool seats for fucking bench seat.
I wish I could have both, but don't regret it.

>that interior

>implying hickory brown is bad

nice interior color yo.

I'm not generally one for aestethics, but I kinda agree; it "looks" and "feels" like shit

Two sticks or bust

A circular 8-10 inch subwoofer.
A bench seat.
Ultra mini fridge.
Add a fake clutch and shifter that move but serve no purpose other than rigged up elecronically to control sound and lighting effects.

jokes on you my shifter's on the steering column

if you're somewhat handy you can switch it back to a column shifter, it's been done before. I thought about it but the problem is if I did I don't know what I'd use to fill that space that would look as good as factory.

>your life

thanks, I like it. something a little different from all black everything.

Yes, I have the same truck from my job. It's automakers way of being "innovative". The reason for this in regards to the Ram was to free up space in the center console. They could of brought back the collum lever shift if they wanted to do that, but normies would complain that "it's too 1940s".

i like it because i'll never drive manual and it inconveniences automatic drivers
isnt that dumb knob gear select what killed anton yelchin?

But why would anyone want a column shifter, other than hipsters who want to pretend that they're driving an 80s truck?

Because it serves its purpose just fine and it's not in the way of anything else

Just like the one in the OP pic. What exactly is the problem?

>Hold my beer

Your car literally has shit on the floor.

Nasty fucking car dude, women must be void of sight, smell, and taste if they step one foot in your car.

nothing. I'm all for it. I'm the one that things my console shifter is a pointless waste of space

>not enjoying a fine beverage while you clean your interior
damn fancy glasses don't fit in the cup holders worth a shit

That's just how blue-ish gray plastic is.

There's a reason it's been phased out completely in utilitarian work trucks nowadays, favoring darker coal gray plastics which are more pleasant to the eye.

Its called dirt. You see, its a 14 year old truck that I regularly go to stupid places with, carry loads of stuff in and I use pretty much every day. I work outside, always wear boots and quite often have to walk in mires, mud pits, forests and so on during the summer, and as such some stainage is expected

I've tried cleaning it myself with brushes and whatnot, but it just doesn't get the dirt out all that well

Then again, we'll see in about a week - best buds father just bought himself a carpet cleanet, and wants to test it out on mine as the ones in his cars are too clean for a real test

Also;
>implying any woman wants to be inside a vehicle with me at any given time

Yeah, I agree with the guy. I mean it's okay I guess, but just feels so off in a base model pickup. I have a feeling that I may end up like that guy with the Jeep.

There really isn't an issue imo. While I don't like the rotary knob shift, people who crying about it are most likely people who rather have a "manly" column or center shift over a "girly pansy" shift. Murricans complaining about the smallest of things.

the return of bench seating is what will replace it

screen shot this post. its going to happen.

not likely now that all the manufacturers have invested so much into making super-ergonomic race-lite bucket seats

fuck you.

>It's just something you interact with at the beginning and end of your drive
This is bait right

That interior looks like dogshit, and it's supposed to be the "King Ranch package"? Don't you pay extra for that?

He's talking about automatics

gesundheit

Yeah, basically a Lariat with a redneck themed interior.

Even in an automatic, sometimes during the "middle" of your drive you might have to back up into reverse

I did, I guess it's a good thing it's mine and not yours

>sometimes
You know what he meant, you don't use it often enough to justify the space.

superior shifter, B is for boost

>boost
what it do?

is F for "forward im going"?

no it's for "fuck I need to go backwards"

What does R do then?

>imagine a thing you can't actually do happening!

That's the point of imagination user.

"Return to traveling forward, the most desirable direction"

retract dick

>It's just something you interact with at the beginning and end of your drive
You don't shift into neutral when you're stopped?

F gives you a safe 13hp, B will give you the whole 17hp.

So it's just a meme and a needless limitation on the hardware. Ok.

Well since there's no mechanical connection between it and the gearbox... stick it wherever the fuck you want. Stick it on the seat so I can change gears with my anus

> pic related, god tier shifter

are you mentally challenged?

Kek wtf that car is awesome

No, I've never had occasion to drive an automatic car.

>want to go uphill
>autotragic cannot into gears
>autotragic also cannot into revmatching
>have to push it up to N, blip the throttle, then push it down into L to get the engine to go past 3k RPM and not go limp dick every 5 seconds trying to downshift

Might as well buy a fucking manual honestly.

>reaches over to turn down stereo volume
>Accidentally turns gearshift
>Goes into reverse while going 80 down the highway
>Causes a goddamn pileup
>"Muh innovation"

if you had to shift it manually every time into neutral, it wouldn't exactly be "automatic" would it?

pfffft ahaha

By that logic, there should be no need for a gear selector of any kind, yet automatic cars invariably have one of one form or another.

>volume
this.

>nignogs
>turning down the radio ever

there are buttons on the steering wheel to
shift the transmission into lower gears if necessary.

I was greentexting my life.

sick burn bro, fuckin got me

>accidentally go to turn down the A.C in dodge ram
>accidentally slam it into park at 65mph

if both of those were accidents then what was your intention? also they have safeguards to prevent dumbshits like you from doing that

It's called salt and winter dumbass

Needs a dash pad but superior interior

Reverse
Neutral
Forward
Brap

Just like there are buttons to change the volume of the radio. How deep does this rabbit hole go?

but it's not a gear shifter

I mean, on vans and auto single cabs i dont see why not

Not on anything else though

>I have a feeling that I may end up like that guy with the Jeep
utterly disappointed?

Bench seat with a QT snuggled up against me.

This, actually.

Automatic drivers can't actually drive. They just pretend to. Removing their pretend gear stick is fairly sensible when you think about it, it dismounts their delusions of grandeur.

>reverse
>neutral
>forward
>backward
why two settings for the same purpose?!

Rare case of somebody using a truck or SUV for more than groceries and school runs

I always thought that making the vehicle more like a washing machine seemed like an intelligent inclusion.

That said, self-driving cars literally cannot come any quicker.

Well, from what I remember some poor bastard died because of the electric shift in his Jeep Grand Cherokee... I don't know the full story but that's what his cause of death was apparently.

>We Mercedes now
but without the ergonomics

I like electronic shifters. Button one's are my favorite. Buttons mounted on the steering wheel would be ideal.

>chrysler
well their main target is old farts anyway
id rather give bullshark testosterone to a R35 GTR or buy a new supra than a $450k car that has this bullshit transmission

Ur mum :)

He's already late to that party. This has been making the rounds for a while now.

Mercedes has been doing this for well over a decade just fine now

I've never had to do this in any automatic that I've ever driven. Stop driving literal shitboxes

No you wouldn't

>letting someone turn down YOUR radio.

that's when you chuck a bitch out of the truck.

Nearly all cars had gear leavers behind the steering wheel in the 50s and 60s. It does work fine. Twisty knobs don't.

How about some fucking leg room like they used to.

But the thing is, it's not the usual column shift. It's an electric shift, just like the knob.

Some new cars can be bought without a center console between the footwells like the Bolt and Model S.

I agree.

Does anyone else know of any new cars like this?

It looks like it was made by Ikea

At least they used the Mercedes shifter

S H I F T D E N I E D

That still looks way too cramped.
I need to be able to manspread until my asscrack is as wide as the Titanic is long.