Used WRX vs New GTI

Hey autos,
Just got hit by a big hail storm, and it sounds like my car is getting totaled. At the low 20k price point, are there any cars you'd recommend that are fun to drive and proven reliable platforms? Right now the two cars I'm looking at are a used WRX or a new GTI. Only thing I'm worried about with the WRX is getting one that's been beat on, and the insurance is 600$ a year extra- enough to do some basic maintenance.

Other urls found in this thread:

cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2131&zip=02644#listing=175295259
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Primary looking between the 2014, and 2015 Wrx. 2014 (Pictured) seemed to drive way better, the new ones felt like they had a really odd boost spike.

The 2015's look way better though, and are wider. Have a much nicer interior.

>proven reliable
>wants a Volkswagen
>wants a used WRX

Trolls gonna troll. Doing your job well.

Fix the car out of pocket. keep driving it. Don't get a salvage title.

lol I wasn't trolling, you're an idiot and I'm calling you out on it. Volkswagens and Audis are notoriously shitty cars, and any used WRX/STI is an old lease car that was clutch dumped more times than your mom sucked dicks in the bar's bathroom stall

>Only thing I'm worried about with the WRX is getting one that's been beat on
That is literally 99.9% of them

Cost is too high to do that. It's right on the line of totaling. I don't think it'd be worth what I'm putting into the car.
To be totally honest that was a pretty win response. I get it, but you aren't really getting what I was asking for. Just looking to walk a middle line between perfect reliability and perfect fun. I also did ask for suggestions if you had any to give. I also have the exact same concern about both my mom and the Subaru. This is the reason I came here, to get unbiased advice.

you can probably find a 2013 sti for that price.

I feel like that'd be even more beat on than the WRX though.

what car? how many miles?

Fiesta ST
Focus ST
Toyobaru
Miata
Your favorite older car+mawdz

The car that I'm driving, and to give a little history is a 2008 VW Jetta 2.5 that has had 0 problems. Been perfect for the 100k that I've put on it. That's been my only reason for brand loyalty.

I test drove FiST's and I really enjoy them, I'm just scared of Ford's reuptation. Had a lot of family members and friends who've been utterly fucked by Ford warranty. I used to have a boosted miata, and I'd love to go down rwd, but I'm currently living in snowville usa, so it's not necessarily an option that's easy for me to justify.

Just get a V6 accord. Go older and get a manual.

>Volkswagens and Audis are notoriously shitty cars
What? Volkswagen is as reliable as you can get. You can accuse them of being boring, but they are extremely well put together.

That's a good suggestion. I know the newer ones don't do so well in snow, but I always saw those plowing through even in deep snow.
Mhm, that was my experience. Deathly boring unless you kept it at momentum, but never failed me. Thing killed it in the snow

Lol no they aren't. Toyotas are extremely well put together. Volkswagen have tons of problems, their cars are notoriously over-complicated and replacement parts are very expensive

what about a used Golf R

I will give you the over- complitcated and expensive parts, but I think your opinion of VW might be spoiled by mk4 problems. The mk5 was a totally different beast.

Uh....If you find me a used Golf R in the 22k Pricepoint that isn't beat to shit I will drive to you, take you for a ride, and then buy you as many beers as you'd like.

Anything will do good in the snow with snow tires. They pave the roads right? And if they don't then you don't need to be out in it.

You mean expensive for a poor person? Repairs and maintenance isn't that expensive

You mean plow? Yes. They also pave the roads around here. I have some Firestone Winterforce's that are studdable that have been amazing.

4 cylinder leafblower engines are slow and gay. Get a V6 LT1 2016. 335hp, kickass exhaust note, 0-60 4.9, and it doesn't look like a grocery getter.

There are plenty of examples under 20k across the country, and you are still under warranty on most of them.

>7mge's right
>I have no logical rebuttal
>I know, I'll call him poor

I'm a homeowner and I got a '17 Corolla last year. Trust me, you don't become more well off by buying an inferior vehicle that costs twice as much to repair :^]

Lmfao. Look at the 2014 wrx I asked about. .4 seconds faster 0-60. So if they're slow? Yours is slower.

there are ones for $23-24k that have ~40k mi
but this one is right at $22k and looks decent
cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2131&zip=02644#listing=175295259

So with your thinking in mind, what are other cars you'd recommend. Would you totally stay away from the AWD volvo's if I went with an older car?

I dunno, sounds awesome but It's double what my ideal mileage for a used car would be, and outside my pricepoint if I get around 30k mi. The other thing I really am thinking about is Insurance, which is a HUGE tick against the WRX.

i meant plow

both cars can be a bitch once you start tuning, and not that fasr stock.
>atleast you can run stage 2 in subie without much problems just dont go e85
>vw interior more comfy, and creature comforts way better
if your leaving it stock and performance isnt the most important thing gti otherwise wrx

Parts for older Volvos are expensive and tend to be dealer-only

Hah I figured as much.
So that's a thing, E85 is CHEAP around here, and I'd like to do an e30 setup ideally. What's your opnion on the 2014 vs the 2015? Is the handling and interior comforts that much nicer to justify the lack of displacement? I'm not leaving the car stock.
Ah that's fair.

corollas are for fags
>140hp
>2017
pick 2 and kys
>muh home ownership
bruh i lease a wrx and own a shitbox fleet and 2 motorcycles time to start ballin poorfag

>corolla
Have fun with your appliance car

>I got a '17 Corolla last year.
wow, you can finance a $20k car? how rich are you!

An AWD car with similar performance numbers is marginally faster to 60, who knew?

1/4 mile times are more telling, 13.6 on maro while base wrx's from 2012-2014 run 13.8 and 13.9's

just searching quickly I see ones with 20-40k mi but they're a couple grand over

\/ /\/

the twin scroll its tits mate
>the 2.5 is long in the teeth anyways and the 6 speed makes a big difference

my stage 2 2016 pee'd in a 2013 stage 2's butt

>the interior is still typical cheapo subie plastic, i have a premium and it def doesnt feel that great, although the little screen above the infotainment is great.

The stereo sucks, adding a 10" sub when i sell the 335i
>6 speakers in a 30k car

>buy new GTI
>be happy
Pretty easy decision, m8

Lol let's stop calling people poor- but only if you guys are into it. Maybe let's be productive about cars in that price range?
Hah man I'm just messing with ya. Like I said before I'm into RWD, but It's just not right with living in the snow, and how much I go to the mountains.
Yeah, I'm just trying to be responsible about setting a price point and sticking to it. Otherwise that becomes a slippery slope.

Damn bro, save some pussy for the rest of us. Hope your mom doesn't mind you bringing them over :^]

It's not fun at all, it's as exciting as the color beige on wheels. However, it's reliable and gets good MPG's

At least the Corolla will be running in 10 years. Can't say the same thing about a VW

Did you not like how it drove before the tune? It felt really surgy when I drove one, like the tune pushed boost really early, then slammed to nothing, then tapered up again. Really unsettling. What's the widest tire you can fit on those things?
Lol you're absolutely no help. Why do you think this? This is where I'm leaning.

Also all, please make the Fiesta ST a real option, or blow it out of the water. I know there's no replacement for displacement, but it was a fun little car.

>Yeah, I'm just trying to be responsible about setting a price point and sticking to it. Otherwise that becomes a slippery slope.
what are you trying to say? you don't want a Lamborghini or something?

Wellp the only thing I can say is mine is 9 years old, and running beautifully hah. Only reason I'm sticking to the VW thing unless you can actually prove that the new ones are unreliable, or bad for what I'm looking at. I DO like the Fiesta ST, but like I said before I'm just eh on Ford's ability to help customers when a warranty claim happens.

I DO is the problem. Just trying to be a semi-responsible adult. Note the semi

Golf R would have the same problem as any WRX. The people who buy them don't use them as a casual car. They were made to be beat on.

>you could of leased a civic sport for a cell phone payment instead of being a fag and getting a corolla
hurr durr i own a house too
>actually in the middle of selling it because i hate home ownership

>Why do you think this?
Because it is THE hot hatch. The definition of a good car that is praised by anyone and everyone that knows jack dick about cars.

Say "I'm going to buy used WRX" out loud. Go ahead. Now laugh at yourself for even considering it.

Yeah, Golf R is out for that reason as well as price for sure.
Hah fair enough. So the question for you is Fiesta ST or GTI? Brand new same price point for the two of them.

gti hands down, fiesta st is a great hot hatch but id spend a couple extra bucks and get a comfy more expensive looking gti

Neither of the people you are responding to, but my vote is GTI.

I wouldn't buy a Fiesta even if it was half the price

Literally the exact same price unless Ford is running a incentive with this VW dealer near. Apparently biggest in midwest region. In fact to get heated seats with the Fiesta ST I'd spend WAY more.
Noted for honesty and another for GTI.
Gti 2-0 FiST

Hahhahah. Why? The interior felt like it was half the price desu. The car drove well though, like a lighter GTI.
Gti 3--Wrx(To be Fair) 1------FiST 0

1. It's a Ford
2. I'd have to tell everyone I drive a car called a Fiesta

This is very true. Sighs...

So are we down to only the GTI? Anyone else?

Just got a new GTI. Too much fun. Don't rule out the DSG. It is crazy quick.

I'm reading that with TCU tunes and new clutch packs it can hold 800ft lbs of torque >_>. APR with just a tune couldn't kill it with their 500 hp turbo beast..
I'm glad you chimed in. Were there times you ever wished you had gone manual? Any times you were really happy you went DSG? I can't lie, I'm living a bit of my life in traffic, and the flexibility really appeals to me.