Is there some truth to this advice?

Is there some truth to this advice?

goldcoasttransmissions.com/tmrd_faq/how-often-should-you-change-your-transmission-fluid/

I don't think that's great advice. If it's right to change your engine oil as it degrades, logically transmission fluid should be changed too at some interval. The thin / thick distinction isn't the worst issue, that would be fluid that is no longer slippery enough. We just changed fluid at 100,000 miles in our 4wd even though i's supposed to be "maintenance free", and there were no issues with the new thinner fluid. And shifting performance became more like new, crisper.

The article is horse shit. Most manufacturers have much longer service intervals if they have a service interval for the trans at all. That said, if your trans service is easy, 30k is the right mileage in my opinion. I got 545k on the original trans of a 2000 LeSabre doing that, and it wasn't mechanical failure that killed the car, but a chevy avalanche that wasn't paying attention.

>change-your-transmission-fluid
they don't even have a pug for that any more
#sealed for lifetime
#service free

You can still change it on most vehicles. Our 4wd was "lifetime / maintenance free" but there were still pan bolts to remove etc. If you never change it, then they get you to buy a whole new car.

i just added a tranny filter kit.
i really hope it can help keep the fluid clean

it is not easy to install, i had to buy a right angle drill for the mounting holes

>be manual transmission master race
>need no filters
>bits of clutch packs do not slowly grind down gears
>change fluid once every 50-75,000 miles depending on how much towing I do
>fluid change is as easy as removing 2 plugs
>any cheap ATF or transfercase fluid does the job
>again no filters, lines, etc

enjoy being pigfat and slow autotragics

Filter for a manual tranny? How does that work?

>tfw over 400k kms
>never changed the fluid once

I never bothered because it has no drain plug. Am I fugged?

sadly its a 5 speed auto. because in that year the manual volvos were non turbo.
so if i wanted a turbo it was auto.
and i didn't want AWD because of Haldex a shit.

i wanted a manual fwd turbo, doesn't exist in the usa

I don't see how it could matter. The fluid is just to lubricate things so it's easier to shift into gears. Once they're connected it only serves the purpose of passive cooling, which any high-temp liquid would do. The clutch is the most important part and doesn't touch the fluid at all, so fuck it.

but it does get dirty if you ever changed a manual tranny the fluid gets syncro crap in it and also burnt.

None whatsoever.

I'll add that if your trans is a wet clutch, it's possible.
But, I've personally never given much credence to the whole "clutch element suspended in the fluid" argument. It's more of a myth with no actual experimental confirmation backing it.
The real question is why you would let a wet clutch transmission go long enough to cause this theoretical problem in the first place.

Does it really make it function any worse though, or contribute to shortening the life? Automatics are way worse since the fluid IS the clutch.

But doesnt it also lubricate bearings?

I think it'll do that regardless of how old it is, unless it somehow stops being oil at a certain point.

The fluid isn't the clutch.. wtf are you talking about.

In a manual, the clutch serves the purpose of connecting whatever gear you've selected to the engine.

In an auto, a bunch of fluid serves the purpose of connecting whatever gear you've selected to the engine. The fluid, in combination with the torque converter, serves the same purpose as a clutch in a manual. That's why we call them slushboxes.

Yeah. Fucking no.
Learn how an automatic works.
Both DCTs (some dry clutch) and slushboxes both have organic metal clutches. The fluid is not part of engagement.

They are called slushboxes because of the torque converter. A piece of hardware completely and entirely separate of gear engagement.
When you don't know, best to not reply.

In fact learn how a transmission works in general.
The clutch in a manual also has zero relation to the gear selecting and engaging mechanisms.

holy fuck is that a load of shit.

>Over time the viscosity of the transmission fluid changes and the unit becomes accustomed to the thickness of the fluid that is in the system. Changing the old fluid for new, thinner fluid, could cause the internal parts to grind together.

So you mean, instead of having 200psi main line pressure, you now have 150? and that extra 50 might blow my trans up if i decide to do an oil change? what a crock of shit, if your trans blows up after an oil change then you needed that shit rebuilt.

FUCK that shit makes me angry

>says I don't know what I'm talking about
>thinks metal is organic
Okay friendo

Drain and flush VS Drain and fill?

I've been told that for high mileage trucks, a flush might fuck up things, and that a drain and fill might be "easier" on the tranny

is there any truth to this?

Metal is organic, but that's not what I said. I said metal organic.

>Organic Clutches

>"Organic Clutches tend to be used more for standard driving conditions as they provide long life and smooth engagement. Organic refers to the materials that the clutch disc is made from; that is metal fibre interwoven with organic materials."

>metal fibre interwoven with organic materials
Jesus you couldn't possibly get more blown the fuck out.

I'm not reading that shit.

All I'll say is my truck has 300k miles on it, never changed the trans fluid ever. Still runs fine.

hes half right, half wrong. the clutch linings are organic (or now carbon). and yes, the torque converter is not separate from the trans on an auto. its an integral unit to the transmission. fluid is circulated through the torque converter to not only cool it, but also to engage the torque converter clutch.

In fact, you can boil the oil in just any transmission by standing on the brakes and flooring it for about a minute. To give you an idea, your shearing the oil between two pockets. literally destroying it every time you take off hard from a stop sign, or tow a heavy load.

*steel is organic

Carbon is organic. Literally the definition of organic is containing carbon.
And I'm not half right I'm 100% right. You fucking faggot idiot.

A metal organic clutch is what I said. And a metal organic clutch is exactly that. Metal and organic material.

Fucking bench engineers.

your getting pretty mad over some off wording on an image board. might want to re-evaluate your life.

time for a lesson on how the slush box works

So fluids have a lot of interesting properties and one such is that spinning the casing holding a fluid or an impeller inside a fluid the motion can be transferred. The torque converter does at a very basic level just this. It is filled with oil (functionally in-compressible, in reality fluids can compress) and that oil acts as the medium for the motion transfer. Essentially it is a complicated hydraulic pump.

Now once that motion is transfered into the transmission the fluid bathes and is used, in various ways from electronic servos to pressure valves, to operate a series of wet clutches. These wet clutches control the engagement of different gears.

Now all clutches wear. The issue with a wet clutch is that you are getting what wears off the clutch into the same fluid that is suppose to be lubricating bearings and gears (also that guy who said there is no lubrication needed on gear meshing surfaces is a fucking moron). A friction material suspended in a lubricant is never a good thing. Thus filters are used to keep the oil clean