Babbies first "sports car"

MR2 mk3 vs Celica

Help me make a choice here.

Needs to be:
>reliable
>DD
>WAT

So far, obviously Celica would be more practical, but MUH FWD vs RWD kicks in.

I could live without the practicality of a normal car I guess, would need to rent a golf or some other shitbox from time to time for an airport trip or take public transport.

FUCK it's a hard choice.

And don't offer fucking MX-5, please. I live in the UK and they are all rotten to fuck, except for Jap imports, but those are expensive.

MR2 and Celicas ar both around £2-3k.

Other urls found in this thread:

mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=3507
youtu.be/D8TnaO8fUbM
youtube.com/watch?v=YjIKUrre4FQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Definitely get the MR2, user. The last gen Celica isn't a sports car, it's like getting a Corolla with a "sport" badge on the back.

MR-2 - MR is better than FWD

How is this even a question?

Celica has been shit ever since Corolla took over rally duties. A Corolla is genuinely a better "sporty" car choice than that dogshit Celica.

>it's like getting a Corolla with a "sport" badge on the back.
I see, makes sense.
>How is this even a question?
Muh practicality pretty much.
>A Corolla is genuinely a better "sporty" car choice than that dogshit Celica
You mean, I guess, a sporty corolla?

MR2 isn't DD material. You're going to want a place to put an umbrella, jacket, your backpack, roadside kit, etc and the mr2 has absolutely nothing. Another strike against it is the ragtop will be impossible to keep clean/leak free/tear free without a garage. Go check both out at local dealerships if you're not familiar. Celica tend to be much cheaper and unless you're trying to be a drift star FWD isn't going to kill you but I could be wrong. I do agree with the other posters that suggest a corolla s instead, but I don't think celicas are bad cars and for the right price I'd consider one. For reliability (mr2 or celica) get 2003 or newer, the older engines were known to be problematic (google pre cat disintegration).

If the Celica is a gts, it's okay. Otherwise its pointless.

>MR2 isn't DD material
That is what worries me. Thanks for a cold shower re: ragtop. I don't have a garage and currently live in a fucking chavy neighborhood as well.
>unless you're trying to be a drift star FWD isn't going to kill
Yeah, I'm not too fussed as well about that. As long as it's sharp handling and accelerates better than my current Honda Jazz, should be good.
Great post, mate, thanks.
>Celica is a gts
Yeah, I'd look into that one. So the 140BHP is not worth it AT ALL?

MRS Owner here.
The top survives outdoor conditions easily.
It has a lot more storage than busriding nocar fags on Veeky Forums like to meme.
If you take proper care of the softop it won't leak.
If you don't you can get a hardtop and since you don't live in US you won't pay 4k for it.
I daily mine without a problem. Only thing you want to do is get a smaller steering wheel and gut the precats.
Do your research and don't be an idiot.
Ask me any questions you have.

>celica
>sports car

>It has a lot more storage than busriding nocar fags on Veeky Forums like to meme.
Tell me more. Two people traveling to an airport with two cabin bags. Possible or not?
>Only thing you want to do is get a smaller steering wheel and gut the precats.
Why smaller wheel and what do you mean, gut the precats?

1) possible
2)steering wheel is massive and if you ask about the second one you need to do more research

I'm 6'3". Will I fit fine? Very, very long legs as well.

Also, again, I live in a chavy neighborhood just now, does it not attract nigger tier scum to rip it up with knifes and shit?

mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=3507
Amirite?

Considering that nobody wants the '00 Celica and the MRS is pretty much a classic now, the '00 Celica would be much easier to find.

I'd get it just to be a hipster douche bag.

>He doesn't know the Celica also came in AWD

>is a retard that does not read the OP.
>U fucking K

>Buying first sports car
>help make choice
>MR2 mk3 vs Celica

Since only one of those is actually a sports car the choice is easy, the MR2

OP is fighting all the MR2 suggestions and actively defending Celica suggestions.

OP, if you clearly don't give a shit about having a sports car and don't know shit about the handling of each, then just buy a Corolla or matrix xrs. Both are exceedingly better handling and faster than the Celica and way more spacious interiors. The Celica "feels sporty" literally because it's low to the ground. That's it. You can lower any car. Even the gts isn't great. The last gen Celica has a fucking shitty all around design. They body roll bad and the chassis is flexible. The only purpose it serves is to look fast. Either buy an xrs or one of the older cellica's with a turbo engine and awd. Or buy an MR2 if you have any interest in an actual sports car. At least test drive one. As someone who owns a Celica and used to own an MR2, They're not even comparable handling wise. The Celica will feel sporty relative to your jazz, but that's because the jazz is a massive piece of shit and you'll get used to the Celica fast.

Yes, but not the one pictured in the OP.

MR-S owner here

working on it sucks
the top sucks. its made to leak on the corners right behind the front windows. just let that sink in for a second
replacing the top sucks even worse, and your ass is getting a third party top for probably $500 that isnt even that right, its missing a bunch of shit
get ready to replace that engine baby, because toyota decided to put shit in that killed your engine

still saving up for a 2ZZ. im currently burning 1 quart per tank of gas

buuuuuut its worth it if you get an engine swap, but if you wanna keep the 1zz, id say avoid it

OP here, fuck the Celica then. Fuck the MR2 as well, too many contradictions: and . If the roof is leaky, well, shit I'm in Scotland so fuck that.

I'll check out pic related.

what does WAT mean

nothing

It means "Wlurk Amore Tfaggot"

Advanced racing technologies firm specializing in vehicle performance.

They're both ugly
Get a Lexus IS200 or 300

This is bullshit. The MR-2 has plenty of storage space if you're clever about it.

I've had mine a few months now. besides my motorcycle, it's my only vehicle, and I use it for everything. There's plenty of space for groceries, etc in the space behind the seats, and the cubby in the "frunk" is bigger than you think. Just swap out the spare tire for a can of fix-a-flat.

So far I've only needed to borrow a van from work once, and that was to pick up a desk from Ikea.

Get the MR2, you'll have to improvise sometimes, but you'll fucking love it.

What about a leaky roof problem?

If you pick up a corolla xrs it has the same motor as a gts with a better ecu and less weight. The shit moves man and also muh 4 doors. The car just drives better than a gts in every aspect. Or get the matrix xrs for maximum keks. But corolla is best sleeper. Put a mild exhaust intake stage 1 clutch and lighter flywheel and youre flying. Takes most moded muh vtachhhhh

Acura RSX Type-S

I like how you both ignore the fact that I'm in the UK, but whatever.

I'm getting this: Corolla T-Sport.

Honda Integra Type-R

There is no leaky roof problem. My car is 16 years old and I haven't had any trouble.

Closest to trouble I've had was some fucking gypsy taking a razor to it (who the fuck steals car stereos anymore??) but I took it to a local body shop, it was 50 bucks to fix and you can hardly tell anything happened.

Hard tops are available, but they are in demand and can be kind of pricey.

>some fucking gypsy taking a razor to it
That's what I'm a bit worried when it comes to these ragtops like mx-5 and mr2 (although mx-5 hardtop is non-issue here).

Oh well, there is one MR2 a few miles away from me, but as I said, I'll get pretty much.

>MRS
>Classic
Is it really? For as long as I remember it's always been the red headed stepchild of the MR2 family.

Like it or not, the MRS is as much of a beach car the MR can be, as modern as it can be, and as sportier as it can be for an N/A. Yes i know its not as boxy as the AW11 nor as roundy and fast as the turbo SW20 but you just gotta appreciate the design of the MRS a little bit.

Its like a mix between a girly car like the VW beetle and an actual sports car.

MR2 mk2 can be a DD if you can do basic maintenance yourself.
Doesn't have mk1's engine rust problem in my experience.
The boot is big enough for the basics.
And unless you get the targa, cabin leaks aren't a problem either

>beach car.
>when autocorrect cucks you.

lol. Typing on a PC.

It does kinda look like a good car to drive parallel to a beach.

babbies first sports car?

At least get one of the older celica's, get an st184 man.

does anyone have that pic where it says something like

"if my engine engages in a forest and nobody is around to hear it is my celica really still slow?"

idunno chavs are cunts anyway. Just get a vehicle cover or something.
yes.
Yeah sounds about right. I've had leaks on the mentioned spaces only when pressure washing the car.
I maintain my top and my engine does not burn any oil and runs fine and healthy. And i'm planning to keep 1zz for ages.
Trick is to remove precats before they destroy your engine and not buying the wrong car.

>fix-a-flat.

>disliking weight reduction

If you're going to get a celica, get a GTS.
I would pass on the MR2 as they're not offered with a 2zz (thus no 6spd manual) and they don't have as much room or four seats for DD.

If you're going to be RWD drifting in your daily then you're a fucking idiot to start with, but what do I expect from Veeky Forums

>implying that 5 gear manuel isn't fucking optimal

What's this with 6 gears? i know that more gears can work out fine, but most 6 gear setups are annoying to use while a 5 gear setup is just feeling fucking perfect on your hand.

If you haven't driven a 2zz then you wouldn't understand why you'd need six speeds with a motor like that.
Secondly the fact that you find 6spd "annoying" to use leads me to believe that you either don't have a 6spd car or haven't spent more than a month in a 6spd. Fox and the grapes my dude, 6spd is lovely.

>2zz
>no torque
>somehow supposed to drive a 6th gear for any reason other than fuel economy
please elaborate

I did try 6 speed. But as far as driving goes, 3 gears + R or 5 gears + R is the most comfy way to reach any gear with no issue. 6 gears sounds lovely until you need to snap quickly into reverse then you need to remember how to fucking do it, and place the knob where a forward gear would be. Its just easier to have 5 gears.

Jesus fucking christ.
I daily a JDM 2001 SS-II Celica, it has plenty of torque for a weak ass four banger. It cruises 60km/h in 6th at 1.5k RPM without grumbling (although foot flat will take you about 20 seconds to climb just 10km/hr) and can get up to 6l/100km in 6th at 100km/h highway. So six speed is incredibly usable for almost half of your driving speeds, particularly for fuel economy.
More importantly; if you rev the fuck out of a 2zz with a 2001 ecu to its hard rev-limit of 8200 RPM (which as the highest offered from toyota, they lowered it later because the oil pump explodes at 8300 RPM) in first and switch to second you will land below 5800. This leaves you with at least 400 RPM to climb through until you reach lift (6200) again and the car takes off. The sooner you reach lift the sooner you go from Dr Jekyll to Mr Hyde.

Now, look at some videos of hard 2zz launches from the POV of the tachometer, look at some comparisons between 4spd auto and 6spd manual 2zzs.

If you still think you don't need a close ratio 6 box on a 2zz equipped car then you must be fucking retarded.

On a C60 trans, reverse is so far and to the left you can't miss it. it's gated too so you can't fuck it up. 1-6 is so logically placed it's beautiful.

Christ guys, do you remember how hard it was driving a 5spd for the first time? Everything takes practice, once you're used to 6spd it comes naturally. Besides, the 2zz is probably the neediest engine for more gears. Sometimes I feel the need for a seventh.

I aint saying i cant get used to it. All i'm saying is that even with practice the reverse will always be a little bit slower than if it was bottom right. Since, you know, you had only 6 directions to go, and in a 6 speed you might have to push the knob down or lift it up. Which is fine for most of the case, but sometimes you just need that snap to reverse for maybe an emergency.

>The sooner you reach lift the sooner you go from Dr Jekyll to Mr Hyde.
Ok that's a pretty damn good phrase and sounds like something original someone might come up about turbos or Vtec or VVT. Its actually funny.

2ZZ is a direct as-bolt-on-as-engine-can-be swap and even without that its plenty fast.
MR2 does come with 6speed manual and LSD. If you drive on highway a lot, 6speed is reccomended.
I find the R to be easily accidenally engaged, mrs sould have same tranny as the celica.
I think the gearbox is fine but 6th should be further away, I've only used 2-4 for the track, 5th is pretty much useless and 6th is for whenever I go above 80kph.

what the fuck am I reading

I think that its more instinctive to get to reverse quickly with a 5 gears than a 6 gears.

it wont leak too bad unless the drains that the water is supposed to go through starts to dry rot over time or is clogged
youre gonna have to remove/clean them out
guess what you have to do then?
just take a wild guess

you 2 billion percent have to remove the top just to replace them. have i mentioned the top is a cunt to replace? the top is a fucking cunt to replace.

like i said, if you dont replace the engine with something WAY better, its not worth it, even on the later models that dont have oil burning problems if you dont remove the precats

Hey fuckface, you might notice that toyota is a japanese company not a fucking french one. Going forward fast is more important than going into reverse fast.
After DDing my celica for a few years I have more hours in 6spd than 5spd. For me, far left and up is natural for reverse and I have a habit of almost jamming other cars from 5 to R.

Regarding "snapping into reverse for maybe an emergency" you may not be aware that 90% of cars DO NOT HAVE SYNCHROS IN REVERSE. Which means you need to be absolutely stopped to go into reverse. How you could possibly save time going from forward gears to reverse by having a more "instinctive" position for your 6th gear instead of planning ahead and driving well?

Yes, you can swap a 2zz-ge into an MRS. But why spend say, 5k NZD on a car, 3k NZD on used motor+trans and then another 2k in conversion parts as well as lots of labour time to get a car that's not even as good as a comparative ~10k car? Over here I can get a fucking 25det 32 for 10k.

Reverse is very hard to engage in my 2zz mated c60. I won't lie, I've had a couple of groggy mornings where I go from N to 1st instead of R or vice-versa, but the "trucking reverse sound" that I get when I go to R is very distinctive. I've never missed 1st or R in normal driving.

Thank you.
But for the fucking zillionth time, your old lady's corolla with VVT is NOT VTEC nor is it VVTL. VVT-i works across all rev ranges and does not have a switch on point (Jekyll to Hyde), but it is why cars with VVT have more HP and TQ available everywhere.

If you choose to get a Celi. Get a Celica GTS, the 2zz is superior. I have driven both and the GTS is 100x better.

This is an MR2 2zz swapped
youtu.be/D8TnaO8fUbM

>VVT is NOT VTEC nor is it VVTL. VVT-i works across all rev ranges and does not have a switch on point (Jekyll to Hyde), but it is why cars with VVT have more HP and TQ available everywhere.
>vtec: valve timing swaps into point of high RPM torque
>VVT: similar thing but there's no magical switch point, the advance of timing is done gradually, some people might prefer this since this means there's better mid end RPM torque
>VVTL-i: Similar bullshit but it mechanically works differently. This time there's more ECU handling and instead of adjusting the timing there's also some more valve opening.
>VVTL-iE: Almost the same shit in practicality but its mechanically fully operated by the ECU and therefore much more prone to failure for the sake of more control.

VVT does NOT work across all rev ranges, but its not a switch point. Its a transition. Why i said what i said was because it was a funny way to make an analogy to a sudden torque peak in an engine.

What
VVT-i works as soon as you turn the key on. While the angle of the cams will change to give you more power as you increase revs you won't notice it come on gradually. Not in person, not on a dyno graph.

Yes, VTEC does change the timing of the valves. If you were to take out the "lift" part of VTEC it'd be similar to VVT-i. It's the changing of the valve _LIFT_ which gives you that bwaaaaaaa-AAAAAAAAAAH.

Please do more research

i am a mechanic but ok.
>VVT-i works as soon as you turn the key on.

That's a very specific way to put it. The turbo also works as soon as you turn the key on. I suggest you to check how a fucking VVT cam operates and look up close to notice how gradual the camshaft advances timing.

>If you were to take out the "lift" part of VTEC it'd be similar to VVT-i. It's the changing of the valve _LIFT_ which gives you that bwaaaaaaa-AAAAAAAAAAH.

Agree on that one. There were some VTECs that were purely lift and no timing tho.

Wait. It could be that we are getting confused. There seems to be quite a lot of VVT systems made by toyota alone. The one i was reffering to was this one:

youtube.com/watch?v=YjIKUrre4FQ

As an owner of a 2005 Celica I can say that I've yet to have any problems with it and I've owned it for 11 years now with 118k miles. It really doesn't have much going for it other than a "sports car" look. I didn't add any mods to it, but I use it just as a DD. Honestly, it's pretty boring but it's very reliable.

you clean the drains by taking the side vents off you fucking idiot, have you even owned an mr-s

but if you bought an r32, youd have to be seen in a shitty r32 and be known around NZ on sight as a dickhead bogan #NotMyFutureUce

GT or GTS?

A fast as fuck cruiser that can chop fat manus up on the port hills for only 10k that americans would wet themselves over? Count me in Uce.

Just the plain ol' GT model. If you can find one, I highly recommend getting a GTS. You might get some more fun out of the car other than it just being a DD. I couldn't find a GTS in my price range back in 2006 so I settled on the GT model. Still a very reliable car.

...and if they dry rot over time, Mr.hey you never worked on an mrs but i have?

wat do then?