Well, fuck

Guess I won't be replacing the pads and rotors today, or getting the new wheels and summer tires next week.

>medium-size suburb of Vancouver
>everything closed on Sunday
>Monday is Victoria Day
>stat holiday, everything closed
>no driveable second car
>house 4km from town
>can't go anywhere or get repairs until Tuesday
>even car rental places closed
WELP.

Post your fuckups too, I guess.

Retard here, what am I looking at? the rust?

Cracked bolt, senpai.

I've driven with 2/4 crack bolts before.

Man up and die like everyone else.

? Just take the others off and ride with three on that wheel.

Why the fuck do you think there is more than one?

>JesusChristHowHorrifying.jpg

You guys are either insane or suicidal. Also the others are damaged from trying to get them off as well. They all started creaking as I was trying to loosen them, that one was the one to finally shear off. Needs to be towed and have all four replaced.

>12-year old car
>original wheels, hubs, lugs etc.
It was bound to happen sooner or later.

Seriously, I had an '87 Civic that sheered a bolt off and I drove it like that for months until finally a second bolt broke off under extreme braking and the car started to feel wobbly after that.

>not owning an impact

Sorry I failed you. It's on my shopping list now.

Yeah, you're insane. I wouldn't drive even if one of them was just not torqued enough.

You are hugely overestimating the danger of having a broken or loose lug nut.

Perhaps, but this comes after I once had one not properly torqued, and the wheel started grinding whenever the car moved. The sound first started on the freeway at 140km/h. Since then, I'm paranoid about it, and that paranoia will likely keep me from losing a wheel in the future.

Just make sure to not overtorque them. Thats what causes cracked bolts.

>300 ft/lbs torqued down with impact
>hit brakes hard, all 5 lug nuts shoot off like bullets

That's actually what I think happened here. The last time the wheels were off was to put the brand new winter tires on. Shop probably used an impact to put the wheels on, and now here we are.
>spec for lug nuts on the Cobalt is 100ft-lb
I wonder what they've actually been torqued to.

That should be fine to drive for a while until you fix it. I wouldn't keep it that way of course but you don't have much to fear. I see plenty of shitboxes driving with 4/5 or 3/4 nuts in my apartment parking lot and they've been that way for way too long.

Probably way higher. The torque spec for my 4 lug Civic is only 80ft/lbs. Depending on how GM set it up, it might be really easy to just change out the stud. Some manufacturers, like Toyota, will have an opening on the back of the wheel knuckle to allow you to hammer in a new stud. My Civic doesn't so it takes some more work to get it done. This is why I use a torque wrench to make sure my lug nuts are on properly.

>fournutfag issues
o i am laffin

Again, this sounds dumb, but how can I tell from the pic that the bolts are cracked?

3 of the bolts are fine.

Notice that the one missing a lug nut has no bolt protruding from the wheel. It is impossible to put a nut on it because the part that sticks out through the wheel is broken off.

Bottom lug is sheared.
What would lead you to believe bolt pattern is the cause of this?

A five lug pattern missing a nut is much safer than a three lug pattern missing one.

don't hammer it out use a tie rod end puller to avoid damaging the bearing

I work as a mechanic and we have shit come in with a bolt off all the damn time, just dont take it on the highway

> 4km

If only there was some possible way to cover distance without mechanized transport...

> pic unrelated