Where did it all go wrong?

where did it all go wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

bayridgehonda.com/vehicle-details/2008-honda-civic-coupe-2dr-man-ex-brooklyn-ny-id-16855905
youtube.com/watch?v=FK_USplw0m4&t=2088s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

8th gen

the Accord assembly line got Civic badges by mistake

7th

>8th gen
last good one or first bad one?

Americans

Unironically 7th gen

7th gen is where it got stupid. EM civics were made bigger and shittier for all the normies, it got its hybrid trim for edgy normies but at the same time EP civics carried that "civic" legacy with its type R k20 goodness.
8th gen has the last good type R (japan only, fuck the euro FN ugly as sin one) including that aftermarket expensive Mugen RR. Good platform overall.
9th gen and 10th gen are just small accords and the new type r is a fat fwd rice mobile that lost it's type R essence and focus.
So it all went wrong from the 9th gen to the present 10th.

Isn't the 8th and 9th gen the same thing face-lifted multiple times?

ok, here we go
5th, 6th good
7th ok
8th shit
9th shit
10th still shit but better looking

These bright ass spaceship clusters need to go. It's just making cars expensive with shit that will break.

The new one looks awesome in person, the pics doesnt do it justice.

after they phased out the k20 it was downhill from there.

might as well shoot themselves now. they destroyed there fanbase with the crz "eco and fast" bullshit they were trying to push. The honda fit is the only one i would exclude from this as the l-series engine is proving to be like the d-series only newer.

I dont like the plastic fake vents in the back.

>10th gen better looking

FAKE

V
E
N
T
S

1st and second beautiful for the 10min after driving from the showroom and immediately consumed by rust

3rd and 4th glorious poor mans god machine

5th and 6th a brown guy owned this it has bald tires and it has never had an oil change

7th + banal cars that look like everything else on the road.

Why is the american civic so ugly?

8th gens are an ok car but not a good civic if that makes sense, it looks way too different and had lost that honda 'feel'

the egg is pretty cool imo too bad they didn't put a proper engine in it

>it's another Veeky Forums circlejerk over 90s shitboxes thread

notice how there is no circlejerk about 90s achievas or whatever, it's bc civcs are gud kars

the fuck is that?

We really need a k20 Fit Type R.

But I shiver to think of what present day Honda would do to it.

Torque vectoring, brake-by-wire, engine mapped for efficiency and maybe even throw some fucking hybrid system in there.

Europe has Civic sedans too, nigger.

5 > 6 > 7 = 10 > 8 > 9

10 is lighter than the last two gens, has the fastest steering rack, and doesn't use the stupid 2-step gauge cluster

Civicfags help me out
Is this a gud car? Gonna be my first manuel
I'll be doing 300mi trips at least bimonthly, can it handle that?

How low do you think I can haggle it down?

bayridgehonda.com/vehicle-details/2008-honda-civic-coupe-2dr-man-ex-brooklyn-ny-id-16855905

car got heavier and the stopped using double wishbone suspension.

what made the 5th gen so good was that it was fun to drive hard in twisties.

>muh double wishbones
911s use MacPherson struts just like new Civics

U mad? Here's my '85 CRX I just bought last week. Objectively best looking Honda.

what really blows me away is how stringent the emission and mpg regulations are becoming.

seriously, my work van is a 2014 ford transit with the 4 cylinder. great van, but the transmission will upshift at ANY given opportunity while climbing a hill, while making a corner, when 3/4 throttle.

so by "maximizing" fuel economy they are wearing out transmissions by having them upshift so much. my company has gone through tons of these transmissions because of this issue.

why would i be mad lmao, i like 90s civics

nice crx, although if i had to have an 80s honda it would be an accord

I ment to reply to the guy you replied to. Thanks though man, I'm looking forward to restoring it.

7th gen was the last good one.

>killed the prelude
>killed the Integra
>put mcdonald struts in everything

Is this what fwd honda cucks tell themselves?

It has a good chassis and drivetrain. What makes you think it can't do better with better suspension geometry.

Late 90's. 2000's was a shit show for car designs. In this decade there's a few more acceptable cars.

Manufacturers should go back to doing simpler, lighter cars.

Stuff with no ac, electric windows, power steering and so on. Make a small, sub 1000kg hatchback and give it a nice little engine. It can't be that hard.

Anyway, sooner or later we'll either go full electric or move from gasoline to hydrogen, that's my guess.

yeah won't happen due to gay ass safety regulations

unfortunately that 45 year old obese office manatee who piles into a bridge parapet at 60 because she couldn't get off pintrest / stop eating her starbucks muffins needs to be protected, hence pigfat pillow cars covered with airbags and with nannying controls

i love the future

Thanks funny thing was, CRXs got similar mileage and performance to CRZs - all while being almost 30 years older

Because emissions equipment is bullshit.

>no ac, electric windows, power steering and so on.
Just go buy a go kart dumb dumb, you clearly don't want a car

Just get a civic for 3k.

If I'm not mistaken when Best Motoring tested both cars (plus a bunch of hatchbacks) they found that the CRX accelerated faster, kek.

youtube.com/watch?v=FK_USplw0m4&t=2088s

Skip to 22:34 for that.

Well, at least we still have Mazda. The ND is very much what I just asked for.

Maybe Toyota too. In japan they sell a purer version of the 86. But yeah, Honda's at a really bad place right now.

Most brands are.

There are no 3k civics in ny, not working order ones at least

Also I want something a bit nicer/sportier

Oh no, user, I do want a nice new car.

However I'm not a woman.

why are cars so expensive in america? here in the uk i can understand, our mph instruments and rhd mean there is a limited export market = cheap but i don't understand why this happens in burgerland

Bump for help

How so? I own a 10th gen 2016 civic EX-T It's a great car. I never liked civics until the new gen came out.

Because most American-market cars are assembled in either Canada or Mexico, both of which have strict labour unions that demand high wages. That and the general need for """luxury""" features like touchscreens everywhere, and ridiculous """safety""" regulations that mandate front crumple zones, red line limiters, automatic transmissions, rollover protection, electronic stability control, airbags to protect airbags, and on and on. Plus meme taxes. The high price of new cars is a good thing though, because it discourages people from buying them. Ideally nobody would buy them and all the carmakers would go bust so we're forced to use older cars that are actually good.

7th gen, clearly. That civic looks like a fucking Kia, at best.

Everything afterward is pure still-steaming dog shit. 7th gen at least had some time to air and dry out.

8k for an 8th gen? Nigga is smokin dick, it's not even an Si. If he won't do 5k, don't do it.

>implying other civics aren't ugly
>Implying civics are American when civic fanbois say "muh JDM"
>implying any civic isn't horribly designed and styled

You are dumb and not welcome here on Veeky Forums

If you wish to find people that think like you go join the other special kids on /hg and /asg and go circlejerk with the other weebs.

Or kill yourself. That works fine too.

Its a dealership though, so I'm assuming it comes with a warranty?

What you do think is a reasonable price to get it down to if you take into account that I'm an autistic bench racer thats never haggled before?

>getting this frazzled up over an econobox
>getting this frazzled up over anything

kek

The guys racing them and raving about how well they handle?

That doesn't imply anything about its additional potential. Porsche is still limited by how wide they can make the car considering the boxer takes a lot of space. If you throw enough money at something, of course it will do well.

I don't know why every time mcstruts are brought up, people always bring up the 911 to defend themselves. Yes, it does well. But it is not typical. Look up modern Ferraris, R8s, Lambos, Ford GT's, GTRs, Corvettes, etc and you will see they all use dws or a similar multilink.

Take any vehicle dynamics course and you will learn that mcstruts are purely a cost or space alternative. Porsche designed theirs well, but given the choice the engineers would likely have chosen DWS.

>implying muh jay dee emm faggotry isn't a product of shitty shart car culture

Get fucked you stupid nigger. Go pay out the nose for an old Datsun.

>10 is lighter than the last two gens

Nigga what

>non-si 8th gen: 2,600 lbs
>non-si 10th gen: 2,800lbs

I found out that 6cyl mustangs and fairmonts get like 26-28mpg

It's because they only weigh 2k lbs

safety and emissions absolutely wrecks performance

The front end uses MacPherson struts the rear end where the engine is uses multilinks

You have no idea what you're talking about benchracer. 8th gen was the last one to have a small steering wheel and a screaming high 8k redline.

Only design. Engine, tranny, interior all over-hauled.

8th gen is good. Please don't talk about things you know nothing about.

This is a standard feature on cars now. Get with the program.

2009 LX Sedan Automatic - 2754 lbs
2017 LX Sedan CVT - 2751 lbs
And the 10th gen packs more EVERYTHING. Makes you wonder how bloated the 8th gen really was.

Try driving the 10th gen

wrong

*moves 2 units a year

It's old. It's not going to come with warranty.

>What are trim levels?

If you bothered to read. I compared equivalent trim levels.

7th was the last honest version of the civic

8 + 9 were horrific

10 looks aight, but is too stylized, and trying to be more than what it actually is

I'm answering to '*moves 2 units a year'.

>moves 2 units a year

fiat's fuckbox proves that isnt true.

Doesn't the new Civic type R have a Turbo K20?

>needs an oil change after 6 miles
uhhhh sounds pretty bad to me

Indeed. K20C or something like that.

Still, the fk8 is a bit on the big/heavy side, thus my eagerness for a fit.

Plus, it'd be great to have a naturally aspirated Type R once more.

But then again the new SI is turbo, so no hopes for that, Honda would probably go for a 1.4t or something like that.

It's cheaper for manufactures to provide things standard. The standard systems we all have now, AC, power steering, etc are so cheap that manufactures will actually lose money by creating a trim without them because they have to create a brand new build process and whatnot.

I have an 8th gen EX-L, and I can't wait to get rid of it. It's reliable and practical, but it's also absolutely painful to drive.

>There are no 3k civics in ny, not working order ones at least
I'm getting rid of mine for $3k in a couple months, but it's already spoken for.

Why is it painful to drive?

Slow, boring, shifts at the worst times, lots of road noise (would be okay in something more enjoyable). It's very numb to drive.

I appreciate its utility, and it was nice to have as a commuter when I needed it, but it's not the kind of car I enjoy.

Really? That sucks.

I have a 8th gen sedan as well (2009 EX-L), and I love it. It's reliable, good on gas, and I find it pretty fun. Just below 3500 rpm is pretty dull. Then again, after having driven a Cruze for a bit (driving instructors car), I've come to appreciate it even more.

Also owned a 95 civic hatch until a few days ago, which was fun, but I have more fun in the 09 DESU.

To each their own.

Also, tires do a lot for the noise. Mines pretty quite with good all seasons. Loud AF on winter's lol

Maybe I'm being too hard on the car, but I really just don't like it anymore. It replaced my Prelude as daily driver, which I'd switch back to in a heartbeat. It made sense having a Civic for a while because I was commuting 100 miles a day. But now it takes me at least a week to do that kind of mileage, so there isn't much purpose in having it anymore.

When you switch to a newer car. You will realize how amazing this car is. I say this from experience.

>how amazing this car is
Amazing in what way? I've found it to be reliable, but otherwise underwhelming.

Is yours manual or automatic?

Automatic, '09 EX-L

Ah, I mainly drove the manual and it was a blast. I did drive an auto too, it was decent, but nothing to brag about.

i agree that seems like a nice plan to end the production of fat modern blobs, but i meant used car prices in the USA, why are they so high?

and why would you make cars in the most expensive, unionised places you could find lmao

The Accords from that gen were so much better than the Civics

>autotragic with an R series
There's your problem

MT is around 2,600 lbs give or take 50. I agree that the AT is shite.

>autotragic

There's your problem.

The M/T shifts are a bliss, short and smooth. A lost art in the 10th gen, as I've heard.

When the Murrikans got their own garbage models.

Exclusively the hybrid which they straight up imported from the US because the Japs themselves couldn't be fucked to build a hybrid.

10th gen is fine, people just forgot what a new shifter feels like

gius pls

Ignore the price for now, I'll see how low I can drop it.
Is it in good condition?
What should I look for when I go inspect it/test drive it.
Also I haven't touched a manual in like 5 years. How fucked am I?

How would you describe the transition of 5-7th gen to 8-10th gen?

New type R is relatively light compared to competition and faster than anything before.

Looks are subjective and turbos are necessary to compete in its segment.

I'm not a ricer but don't be stupid. Is there anything in America in its segment that weighs less?

This is not bad compared to HUDs and seems pretty reliable. 2007 Civic Hybrid with 80K miles and no issues.

Ok, so the 2017 LX manual is 55 lbs more than the 2009 Civic LX manual, but the 2017 has 18 more horsepower. That weight difference is quite impressive considering the stuff the 2017 is packing vs the 2009. 2017 also has a much better shift and steering feel. And don't even get me started on how much better the gauge cluster is.

(you)

10th gen. Civic always looked clean, simple, trim, and fairly athletic (with the exception of the frumpy as fuck 7th gen excluding the EP3 Si which is an abberration unto itself anyways).

10th gen is just off the fucking reservation weird. I guess the new 1.5 turbo engine is pretty sweet, but jesus fuck I can't look at these cars without having a negative emotion.

The 8th and 9th gen were pretty fucking nice IMO. I know that isn't a popular opinion around here. I just think they were clean as fuck. I liked the dual level dash, and the K series even though they had mcdonalds struts and not multiking.

The world needs a K20 powered Fit Si.

why all the paki license plates?

it's dumb

spaceship clusters are cool, but they have been fucked up so bad by everyone after the early 90s

holy fug

>what is battery mode