First Car Buying Help

My son is buying his first car, and wants my advice. However, I'm not much of a car guy, so I told him I'd ask some friends.

Budget is $2500, but ideally around $2000 so I can use the $500 for title and other such necessities.

Currently deciding between:
Used 2002 Hyundai Accent GL
$1,750
132,101 mi.
Engine: 1.6L I4 16V MPFI DOHC

OR

Used 2004 Chevrolet Classic Base
$1,950
132,960 mi
Engine: 2.2L I4 16V MPFI DOHC

Like I said, sorry, not much of a car guy. If this is a stupid easy choice, please let me know.

As a parent, looking for safety know-how, as well as how long this thing is gonna last him.

Post your local Craigslist.

But then people on the internet will know my general location

For anything under 2500, I'd be avoiding korean and GM for sure.

Does your kid like cars? Or are you just trying to find something good on gas and reliable?

Just buy him a Golf IV
>1.6L 16v 105 bhp for an indestructible - but somewhat slow and thirsty engine.
>1.9tdi with whtaever bhp for a pretty strong and extremely fuel efficient engine. Might require some general diesel maintainance tho.

Honestly, there is no better car for a beginer than the Mk IV Golf.

The latter

Why is that?

those old accents are deathboxes. do u want ur kid to die in a hyundai?

Preferably not. How about the Chevy then?

Check mpg on both cars and pick the one with the better mpg.

Looks like Hyundai is better mpg, but Chevy is safer...?

this

Out of my price range in my area :\

If you think your son isn't a safe driver go with the chevy. Also check the average repair on each car if they break down. That's considered a running cost.

How about the mk 3 Golf ?
It's less luxurious but also much lighter.
Also the engines are basically the same.

Is money really an object when buying your child a vehicle, which WILL be travelling at extremely hihg speeds (we all floor it eventually). If the answer is yes, kys op.

Visit Russia to see real legend of all automobiles. VAS 2101

If the Hyundai Accent GL is manual go with it. Since it's a 02 it is probably cheaper to repair. Also very good on gas. I have a 2010 Accent GLS and it gets 30mpg in the city. Only bad things are it is very light and Hyundai dealerships are full of scam artists from the salespeople to the service technicians so never take it to the Hyundai dealership unless you have to.

BMW E30 or you're a shit dad.
don't you want your kid to have healthy social life?

Old GM car VATS system were prone to failure, would leave you locked out of your car until the security lock out system went off. (Replacing my key cylinder before I sell my Firebird)

get him a 1996 honda civic hatch d16z6 and let him choose the bodykit of his liking for spare money

what this guy said the anti theft system loves to go back primarily the ignition starter switch likes to burn out triggering the anti theft on startup which cuts power to the fuel pump and requires you to wait 10 minutes before you can start it again.

Another issue with anything GM is the lower intake manifold gaskets, which are known to fail and clog the cooling system and eventually destroy the engine if not dealt with soon enough. Felpro makes an aftermarket solution that fixes all the issues

struts are also known to go bad just like with an impala and also fuel lines and rust and fuel pumps

Just get a chevy cavalier in decent condition.

Just buy him a civic buddy