Ancient nations that still exist

>Assyrian people
>Maya people
>Perdian people

Can you list more?

Their identity must be continuous (Italian won't count as Roman for example)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qRkNozaAVns
youtube.com/watch?v=fdxiY_vbi2o
youtube.com/watch?v=y5FoAzUKD-E
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Egyptians

Why

cuz he was kangz

>implying Assyrians are the same as Syrians
>implying Maya are the same as Mexicans

You do know there is a ethnicity in the middle east called Assyrians. They speak Aramaic.

There is a ethnic group in the Yucatan penensular called Maya people. Yes, they are descended from ancient Mayans and many speak thier language.

Facepalm

Cause the white man is denying them their true heirtage and there aren't many true Egyptians left.

> Jewish people

Some of the first Egyptian dynasties actually got their asses kicked by Numidian niggers, which in turn ruled the Egyptian kingdom. The Egyptians eventually put a stop to that shit though, and eventually made the Numidians their bitches.

Ethiopians
Mongols
Chinese

pretty much every fucking ethnic group in the caucaus
>pontic greeks
>ossetians
>avars
>lezgins
and so on

Iranians are continuous with the Sassanian Empire -- but not with the Achaemenids.

Mexicans are a nationality composed of different races and ethnicities. Of their many indigenous groups Mayas are present in 5 of their states. Tzotzils, Tzeltal, Mame, Itza, Yucatec, Lacandon and Chontal to name some. All of these languages are still spoken and a lot of their culture persists. They still have shamans and daykeepers for example and still use the 260 day ritual calendar to name some examples.

>be assyrian
>your ancient captital is currently in the hands of "fundementalists" that are destroying your ancient heirtage
>pope is too busy washing the feet of muslims to give a fuck about you getting ethnically removed
>even the kurds are throwing you out of your villages in syria
being a assyrian must suck

I have never heard of these people. They really still exist?

All 10 of them left? They shouldn't have fucking blown their load 3000 years ago.

I'm not convinced modern Assyrians are any more related to ancient Assyrians than anyone else in the region.

The Muslims who live in that part of Iraq are probably just as "Assyrian" as the Assyrian Christians, at least genetically speaking

>Numidians
I think you mean Kushites, Nubians, or Nasamones.

Yes

Ossetians are basically whats left of the Alans/Sarmatians and still speak an indo-iranian language.

Mayan people

Armenians

Lancandon

You mean Nubians. Numidians were a tribal confederation of Berbers just west of Carthage.

Modern-day Assyrians are ethnically Arameans, most of them are descended from Christian populations around the Tur Abdin mountains which didn't get SARACENED, but Tur Abdin was an Aramean area and not Assyrian.
Maybe Assyrians from around Mosul are more properly ethnically Assyrian, though.

Wow they are basically Scythians damn

Wasnt Aramaic just a lingua franca and had no blood-ethnic group?

Finland. One of the oldest societies dating back to prehistory, even older than China or Egypt, and it still exists today.

There are some who claim Finalnd is not real but I've been there myself. It's not just open ocean, there's a real country there.

I'd also mention Korea but unfortunately to say there's a consistent identity there would be false. After the end of the hyper-war the proto-Korean people scattered and modern Koreans are more a mix of proto-Korean, han, Egyptian, finno-mongol, and Japanese ancestry.

Just kang my shit up

I wish there was a real wiki with all this stuff on it.

He looks like Homo erectus. I swear I'm not being (self-hating) racist. His face is too big for his head.

maybe he has some dominant erectus genes

wouldn't be the first time shit like that happened

It was a language from the Damascus area that became the lingua franca in the Assyrian empire because they out numbered the Assyrians

No he is just homo sovietus

Do humans even have Erectus blood? I think Erectus might be too distant to breed with, and they were extinct in Africa at the time.

maybe out of some freak mutation

this nigga is most certainly part neanderthal

Well, depends what you mean by "ethnically Assyrian". They're obviously very different to ancient Assyrians in customs and so on, but they probably qualify more than any other group based on continuity.

You know where there are a lot of Mayans?

Guatemala. Literally the whole country.

Funny too, because people from Mexico and Guatemala are just starting to feel some kinship with these people instead of calling them pinche indios haha

There's the Sami, no joke

Wiki says some african have genes from distinct lineages, about 800 kya removed. So maybe.

Yes actually early sapiens interbred with other hominids. Not only the neanderthals.

>You mean Nubians.
Speaking of which

Nubians of modern Sudan and southern Egypt. They're currently getting rekt by a dam which is flooding all of their traditional land. Khartoum and Cairo give no fucks.

That doesn't exactly narrow it down, it could easily be Heidelbergensis as they were around back then too. I think I know what you're talking about, the Mbuti Pygmies carry that 338,000 year old gene.

I know we've done it with Neanderthals, Denisovans, an as-of-yet unknown species that could be anything from Erectus to Heidelbergensis to even something new, another unknown species that only the Negritos and various indigenous people of South India including the Jarawa. I just wish we knew what the latter two were. For all we know, the Jarawa's ancestors could have been fucking hobbits.

Can't believe you're forgetting these faggots

>kebabed for 500 years
>"ancient"

You're right.

>>kebabed for 500 years
That goes for Assyrians, Persians, Copts, and so on too though. And Mayans were Chorizo'd for hundreds of years.

Samaritans. There's only like 300 of them left.

Mandaeans of Iraq. Likewise, there's fuck all of them left.

Nahuas, the dominant people of the Aztec Empire

Grikos of Italy, still speak a dialect of Greek, left over from Byzantine times or possibly even Magna Graecia.

Idiot

Aromanians, Latin speakers of Greece and Macedonia. I'm aware I'm not strictly within the rules of the OP now

Syriacs, which speak a language related to assyrian.

And how many of the 300 are good, would you say?

those fuckers are based.
Gave us lots of celebrities, and are good with money.
Might have some blood in me as well.

Belize too. Used to be some in Honduras and El Salvador as well.

Han Chinese, old as ancient Greeks or Egyptians

Qiang people (pronounced like CHI-YANG but as one word), westerners love jerking off over Tibetan shit, but little do they know Tibetans are an ethnic group only formed in the last thousand years that were splintered off from the ancient Qiangs

Iranians are still using oral poetry and folk songs from prior to the Arsacid period, so nah, their pretty much a 2500+ year line of continuity culturally speaking. You can still find both in the major cities and rural areas of Iran, Afghanistan, and Tajikistan of Iranians singing songs or reciting poems that are literally attested to be that old.

youtube.com/watch?v=qRkNozaAVns
youtube.com/watch?v=fdxiY_vbi2o

Here's some Qiangic singing

Assyrians stopped being relevant as a power after they got wrecked by the Medes, Elamites, and Neo Babylonians in the late 8th century.
>Persians
For like 200 years at most. Also if you are implying Arabs or Turks had any major influence on Iranian peoples, your wrong.
Yes. Its why the Babylonians and Assyrians adopted it. And then regional and provinical dialects started to evolve into different but related dialects. It actually parallels how Arabic is spoken by so many people in the Near East yet someone from Egypt would have a hard time understanding someone from Iraq, and that was the same scenario with Aramaic.

>And how many of the 300 are good, would you say?
Well they seem to like Jews now, so probably most

>For like 200 years at most. Also if you are implying Arabs or Turks had any major influence on Iranian peoples, your wrong.

>raped by Arabs, Mongols and Turks gorillion times
>got ISLAMED'
>half of the country speaks a turkic language
>arabic is taught in schools
>t-there has been no major arabic or turkic influence on us g-guys, I swear

Is this what Greeks looked like before they got Kebabed?

They look kinda Portuguese

>raped by arabs, mongols, and turks gorillion times

This is such a retarded view of history. Even invading forces of the 10,000s couldn't manage to rape enough to COMPLETELY SHIFT THE POPULATION

op needs to define what he means with continuous identity

a song in griko
andramu pai

youtube.com/watch?v=y5FoAzUKD-E
it deals with the migrations of southern italians to northern europe during the 60s

"dad why must you go? tell us why
because that's how life is, poor children
the worker fights and sweats
so the boss can grow fatter with his labour"

Wrong one. I'm talking about the one that has a really long face and dark brown skin.

Come to think of it, there are two like that. One of which is actually kind of handsome.

The Igbo and what would eventually become the Yoruba are still alive.

What about Romans from the city of Rome?

Indus Valley civilisations, like India and Pakistan?

underrated desu

Sure, for the Parthians, but what about the Achaemenids?

The Shahnameh spent a massive amount of time on the Sassanian Empire, but it spent very no time on the Achamenids. I do think it spent a wee bit more on Parthians though.

Why?

Actually the percentage of the poem spent on Sasanians is pretty small, and you can only consider it long if compared with historical dynasties. Most of the shahnameh is about folk history adapted from avestan times, before Achaemenids or Medians even existed.

>Italian won't count as Roman for example
DELETE THIS

Will Greeks count as Romans, though?

The majority of the Greek population only really began to refer to themselves as Hellenes around the 1970s, up till then, they were Romans. Most older people in Greece today still refer to themselves as Rhomaoi.

>>On 8 October 1912, during the First Balkan War, Lemnos became part of Greece. The Greek navy under Rear Admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis took it over without any casualties from the occupying Turkish Ottoman garrison, who were returned to Anatolia. Peter Charanis, born on the island in 1908 and later a professor of Byzantine history at Rutgers University recounts when the island was occupied and Greek soldiers were sent to the villages and stationed themselves in the public squares. Some of the children ran to see what Greek soldiers looked like. ‘‘What are you looking at?’’ one of them asked. ‘‘At Hellenes,’’ the children replied. ‘‘Are you not Hellenes yourselves?’’ a soldier retorted. ‘‘No, we are Romans." Thus was the most ancient national identity in all of history, preserved in isolation, finally absorbed and ended.[15]

There are like 10 million of them spread out all over the place.

no

It's Roma Nova, not Constantinople.

>Will Greeks count as Romans, though?
No.

o-okay

We are still here tho fαμ.
As @ncient as ever

In the Shahnameh the Avestan times have become too hagiographical and mixed with Zoroastrian mythology. Regardless, the Avestan era are precursors to our Iranian ethos and trying to claim them seems a bit difficult. They most certainly had formative influence, but to say they are continuous. After all, Avestan era mostly came from Land of Tur.

He was arguing for identity being continuous. I'm going mostly based off language, cultural customs, etc. I do think our identity is most certainly continuous with the Sassanids, absolutely no doubt, but I think one can make the argument against Achaemenids being continuous with our identity. They weren't even Zoroastrian or monotheistic -- as Richard Foltz argues -- they were Mithraists. Modern Zoroastrianism is mostly based off Sassanian era and not Achaemenid.

New Persian (spoken now) is not that different from Middle Persian (spoken by Sassanids), but both Middle and New Persian are drastically different from Old Persian (spoken by Achaemenids).

I don't know, maybe it's my own bias. I found the Sassanids to be a lot cooler anyways.

The historical era of the Shahnameh is more like historical fantasy, but the detailing of the Sassanids is actually remarkably accurate.

>continuous
is disingenuous*

epic

About 3/10ths of the Shahameh is spent of the Sassanids. That's pretty significant considering how huge it is.

fags

But it gets dwarfed by the legendary folk history being like 2/3ths.

homo sapiens and other archaic humans literally evolved straight from homo erectus

Yeah, but Ferdowsi implied that the folk history is the precursor to our culture and the Sassanids are the ones took it and created the modern concept of "Iranshahr". To get my point across: Sassanids created the concept of "Iran".

This is actually a good thing because it can make idiots shut up. There is absolutely no debate about Iranians having an identity continuous with Sassanids.. There is for the Achaemenids (I actually debated a professor w/ a PhD who argued Achaemenid legacy is not continuous with Iranian identity -- but he agreed when I brought up the Sassanids and said they are continuous with modern Iranians).

We even name ourselves after Sassanian kings moreso than Achaemenids. The Safavids also frequently praised the Sassanian Empire, and they didn't know much about the Achaemenids.

Are you Greek?

the jedi belonged to the finns

this is revisionist bs

>Italian won't count as Roman for example
why not?
the city of Rome had continuous population as did Roman Colonaie and the Latin region.

Italians even in the Empire considered themselves part of their local Italian tribe, not as part of the Latins, that's why when the empire collapsed in Italy they just reverted to local identities.

another would be the Han Chinese

>15th century
>ancient

Chechens

These fellows are pre-indo-european.

And these silly billies wuz Incas

Coptic is a direct descendent of ancient Egyptian, though the vocabulary has been heavily influenced by Greek. Nobody speaks it anymore besides priests but the Coptic people number around 8 million, ten per cent of Egypt's population