Turbo Questions

I recently acquired a turbo that was stored wrong. There is sawdust and metal shavings within both the exhaust housing and on the turbine wheel. Do you guys think it would be possible to get it cleaned out by spraying it out with a air gun? Or do you think that this turbo would be much easier getting replaced.

dunk it in carb cleaner until all the shit's off.

But I read that its not good to spray your turbo with carb cleaner.

Then dunk it in gasoline or kerosene a few times. I doubt simply spraying it off with an air gun will do much of anything.

I don't see how gasoline or kerosene is better than dunking it in carb cleaner. I did a quick google search before posting and the only thing I got was "dont get any kind of liquid (other than oil) near the CHRA"

Spray it with water and degreaser. Worked on mine

Water hose bro

Kerosene and Gasoline are less stringent than carb cleaner.

But whatever, why ask the question if you're going to swat down every answer someone gives you? If you know better than us then quit wasting our time.

I'm not swatting down every answer. I'm questioning it. If your going to get mad at me questioning everything because I don't know if its the correct answer or trolling then thats on you.

use some dirty motor oil to get crap out then clean it with new motor oil

>ITT: use solvents
I highly doubt this would hurt it but I would use diesel first since it has lubricating properties

Is it me or are those blades ruined?

It was stored wrong.

The only place that matters is the CHRA. Make sure oil flows through it and there are no obstructions.

Clean the rest of it the best you can. Install on car. Done.

Source: Jackass that builds complete custom one-off turbocharger systems for fun and profit.

I know, but I am talking about the edge of the blade, it looks fucked up

Debris + blades looking chewed up = rebuild.

Don't risk it OP

>"dont get any kind of liquid (other than oil) near the CHRA"

Seems like you know everything. So

Problem with oil is its going to take forever to burn off if you don't clean it off, which will require gas and kerosene and possibly leave carbon deposits all over the bitch too when it finally heats up.

I do agree with using diesel though as a third option.

gasoline hits the turbine wheel, oil and shit hits the compressor wheel. As long as the pressure is low, and you dry it afterwards you should be fine. If gasoline is going to hurt it, the seals were already fucked anyway.

probably best suggestion. Do a oil and gas mix.

he's not wrong, you know
agree

Its fine
I have seen worse much worse

Also what is it for anyway?
You could have it rebuilt for cheap at a local diesel turbo repair shop. They can clean the blades up as well
This pretty much
a little up down shaft play is fine on journal bearing it should not move in and out much at all

OP is everything thats wrong with internet boards.

FUCK OFF know it all.

buy a snap-ring tool and take the thing apart. While it is apart, blow some compressed air through every little crevice. If ANYTHING is wrong with the o-rings, buy a rebuild kit for that turbo.

also, douse it in brake cleaner

Is this thread for questions about turbos or just extra-inquisitive questions?

NEVER NEVER NEVER clean anything in gasoline!

ask anything pussy

>stored wrong
So it was stored with the compressor spinning and sucking in metal bits through the blades?

gasoline is fine for cleaning a lot of parts wtf is wrong with you

I prefer not burning my house down. Brake cleaner works better anyway, is cheaper, and doesn't leave residue.

It's not that there's something wrong with me, it's that working on cars is my job and they drill that shit into you day 1. Gasoline vapors are dangerous as fuck and it proves itself time and time again when people don't listen.

Lmao.
that can happen with literally any solvent you asburger.

Wtf is this thread.

Take it apart and clean it. Dunk every part into literally any solvent.

If you want to pay $30 for a thing of carb cleaner instead of alcohol or gas (or fucking water for that matter) to simply wash off loose debris then be my fucking guest but you're a dumb shit.

What the fuck are you going to do with a turbo if you can't even do something this basic.
This bored really bakes the noodle sometimes I swear.

Just clean it with an alcohol bases solvent/cleaner. It will evaporate.

Gasoline vapors are denser than air. It lingers at your feet, rather than evaporating up and not hanging around you like brake cleaner or carb cleaner fumes. That's what makes it so much more dangerous.

Go up to ANY shop in your city and ask them if you should clean your car parts with gasoline. They will all tell you exactly what I just have.

I don't use solvents in confined spaces because my iq is over 80. I've been cleaning things with gasoline for 20 years.
also carb cleaner, alcohol, etc is all heavier than air. almost all organic vapors are heavier than air. (maybe even all of them).