QTDDTOT

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

What caused big boats to no longer be popular?

Other urls found in this thread:

vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/6136518882.html
jalopnik.com/the-acura-integra-is-still-one-of-americas-top-ten-most-1582099675
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The social stigma of looking like an old person. That's it

>What caused big boats to no longer be popular?

Gas prices went up and people were less interested in a smooth, comfortable ride and more interested in fancy modern gadgets and safety.

I would say lurk more but honestly everyone should know what calling a car a boat means...

SUVs happened. Anyone who wants a fat car that gets shitty mileage and doesn't handle worth a damn just buys an Expedition these days.

It was more a reaction to why the hell you asked it in the first place, it should be obvious.

But pretty much explained it.

They don't look angry enough, they don't hook up to your phone, and they don't meet modern pedestrian and occupant safety standards.

Crossovers and SUVs dominate now. No one wants a full size sedan when they can get a sport "utility" vehicle (which isn't even body on frame anymore) that gets worse mileage, but can carry more (which they never use) and looks more imposing when it's double-parked outside JC Penny's.

>Crossovers
Why is the ancestor to the modern crossover impossible to find?

How should I fix this stupid front bumper sag? Does it require a whole new bumper?

I've seen maybe two of them in my 30 years.

Your brackets probably need to be loosened the bumper pushed back up and then the brackets tightened back down.

A simple 1mph bump will misalign the fuck out of them.

If you don't give a shit I bet you can drill into the bumper and wire it on.

I feel like it's one of those cars I wouldn't look twice at unless I was specifically looking for it.

I feel that its kinda hard to miss a station wagon with a two inch lift.

I love you Veeky Forums! Have a great day today, tomorrow, and everyday after!

Are these the bolts in question?

no thats the frame

My car randomly turned off on me, i verified the battery and it looks like its connected properly, is it just that the battery is not properly connected like i think it is?

Y-you too

So I recently came into ownership of a 98 Cherokee.

What is acceptable modding to not look like a tool/larper? Should I go for performance or aesthetic improvement first?

Pic not mine, just inspo

I'm racing my truck this weekend will my tail end slide out and cause me to lose control if it's empty in the back

no, once you get some speed the tailgate acts like an air dam and forces your rear end down

80's Murican car, which means it's gonna rust bad.

Anyone tried CarNextDoor?
I was very skeptical at first but looking through the website it seems ok.
I'm going away for around a year and thinking of selling my Saab. I could do with the cash but some extra income wouldn't be bad either. My sister offered to look after my car, and put it up on CND but it's hard to tell if it's worth it (and I don't know how much I trust my sister to properly look after it)

How much of a theft deterrent is getting a manual really? If I get a manual integra how fucked will I be since I know those get stolen more often than average.

What's the general opinion on the 2002 Ford focus svt? Good dd thats also fun when I want to drive fun? How reliable is the zetec engine?
I'm looking at getting one
vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/6136518882.html
It's in Canada, I live near the border so Canada dollars makes it cost $2300 USD, including import tax. I'm a little concerned about it because the svts I've seen have a svt logo on the wheels, and the same thing on a little plastic cover over the middle of the engine. There's no cover in the pic and the wheels just look like regular stock wheels. Is that normal? Is it just different because its Canadian? It's got he svt interior, so I'm sure it's an svt

fucked because they will just trailer that bitch away

or they will bust your window, put it in neutral and push it

what's this guys name? saw him on spicks and specks a few nights back and he was pretty funny, but i missed the intro so i missed them introducing him.

Tim Minchin.

Do you think I can fit a 6cyl bmw motor with manual in the backseat of an e36

What were you doing when it happened. Year make and model, will it restart?

If the car was running and then shut off its probably not the battery.

Circumsize those wheel arches.

No, unless its a wagon.

What if i dont live in a shitty neighborhood

is there an equation that spits out a "fastness" number when you put in the variables of horsepower and weight? Also is there a more complex equation that doesn't ignore gearing?

Horsepower is dependent upon torque, and where its made on the power band. So you have to consider wind up time to get to that point, which also takes in account flywheel weight, and other parasitic losses to belt fed accessories.

You also have to take in account what transmission it uses, as Torque converter automatics. waste more energy vs Manuals, but on the same note some autos can shift faster than some manuals, and vice versa.

then you have to consider the ratio of gears in the box, and the ring and pinion sizes, then finally what type of drive its FWD AWD or RWD, FWD will be slightly more efficient than RWD, which would be more efficient than AWD. Oh and wheel and tire weight as well.

see where I'm going with this? I'm sure there's away to calculate all that, but if you simplify it down to just weight and HP, it won't nearly be as accurate as HP per Ton.

I don't know but that sounds pretty cool.

how do carb pressure boxes work? how come they dont just force air into the carb like just hooking up the turbo to it normally would?

But if I take the gearbox from the engine?

Were do I find parts for a yanmar 6HYM-WET?

If you have two different cars with the same parts, but the same engine, do they share engine parts?

How do you know if parts from other cars for with your car? Is it just if they share platforms or is their something else. For example if you had some shitty audi could you use VW parts for it?

What does it mean when an engine swap is bolt in? Is it when the engine mounts are in the same place as the car you're putting it in or does it mean the car itself requires no modification to fit the engine?

Is it a terrible idea to buy a vacuum pump + A/C manifold gauge so I can learn how to vacuum + recharge my own system?

Yes, rent them instead

VatoZone rents those out?

Yup. It's expensive to rent, but you get your full money back if you return it within 90 days

>Yup. It's expensive to rent, but you get your full money back if you return it within 90 days
So I just pay the rental deposit then bring the stuff back and I get the exact $ I paid back?

How much should i reasonably pay for a 2001 GTI VR6. I found one for $2000 that has 200k on the odometer but how likely is it that there would be something wrong with it?

Yup, that's exactly what happens

Who makes the cheapest electric gauges? I need speedometer, tach, fuel, voltage, water, and oil.

>If you have two different cars with the same parts, but the same engine, do they share engine parts?
uhh ya they're the same engine?
>How do you know if parts from other cars for with your car? Is it just if they share platforms or is their something else. For example if you had some shitty audi could you use VW parts for it?
you would have to research what models were equipped with the parts you need or measure the parts you want and see if they fit where you want, but yes;
you could get cross platform and even cross manufacturer parts that fit
this is literally how parts stores work
protip: dimensions are important
>What does it mean when an engine swap is bolt in? Is it when the engine mounts are in the same place as the car you're putting it in or does it mean the car itself requires no modification to fit the engine?
Yes, but also it's more about the transmission bolting up correctly and could include some fabricated mounts/different oil pan/ different engine electricals

Pls

what do I need to know when buying a car in the US? I am going to buy my first car from craigslist and I have no idea what i'm doing. Do I just give money and drive off and the title magically gets transferred to me somehow? Do I need to ask for the papers? what papers? pls help

what's a good turbo that is reasonably priced and not ebay chinkshit

Are there any good model year for an Elantra pre-2010?

What are some of the best fun FWD cars? Cars that were specifically designed to be sporty and FWD. Like for example I hear a lot of the Acura Integra being one of THE best FWD cars you could get because they specifically engineered it to play off FWDs merits

used oem mitsubishi turbos like td04s and oem holsets like hx35s.
they wont compare to the power and response of a performance turbo, but it's certainly leaps better than chinkshit.
the rebuild kits are cheap as dirt.

you'll want to learn about compressor maps and turbine dimensions and find oem turbos that best fit the characteristics you're looking for in both power, boost, powerband, etc.
either that or just look at what other people are using.

but most people just follow the herd rather than actually learning what they need and knowing what you're doing or at least knowing enough, or thinking you know enough, to experiment with different turbos will allow you to make a lot bigger gains than just slapping shit together like your average ricer. properly designing a system around your goals.

also kkks / borgwarners off audis/vws

basically just any oem turbo.
mitsubishi turbos are probably the most used just because of the abundance of junked subarus.

if I buy a lan evo for my DD, is this a bad idea? or is it okay and reliable enough so that it's worth it?

why would it be a bad idea? Just don't go WOT after every redlight

Well it costs a shitton + insurance and I just don't know if it's worth it overall.

buy a slow car and make it fast yourself then. Low insurance, high fun

How do I remove lettering from glass? Some from the suction cup transferred over and it is quite a nuisance

You telling me to get a 3k civic and a few simple mods?

can anyone give me the skinny on gas vapor systems? how does it retain vapors without building pressure on hot days?

rubber

looks to me like it does the same job as a plenum; keeps the air pressure equal across each throat

bro its an integra mexicans dont give a damn about your tranny theyll steal it anyways, just get a clutch lock and pray

very fucking likely, just about any car over 200k miles is gonna have some problems, people dont drive a car that long and then meticulously fix everything for the next person. theyll either keep it or sell it right before it starts to fall apart.
It being a VW is really not going to help

W...T...F

look up your local DMV laws on title transfer

in Commiefornia you need to have the vehicle smogged (by the owner) before the title transfer (sign the pink slip with the owner, make sure his liscense matches the name on the pink slip) then bring the title to the DMV. You also have to write the price youre paying on the back of the title. some people fudge it lower to save on taxes, this is usually not a good idea if the vehicle in question is being fully covered because I BELIEVE your insurance can use the lowered number to pay you much less in the event of an accident

>Crossovers and SUVs dominate now.

Congress passed laws to discourage big gas guzzlers and push people into small cars. But trucks (truck based SUVs) are exempt due to business use. So instead of going downscale, consumers found SUVs. And never looked back.

It's called the law of unintended consequences. Regulations fuck up more stuff than they fix.

>don't meet modern pedestrian and occupant safety standards.

Don't care. Have bull bar and a winch. State makes me put a sharp sheet metal blade on front bumper (license plate).

Acura Integra GSR
Toyota Celica GTS
Neon SRT4
Saturn Ion Redline
Chevy Cobalt SS TC/SC
Ford Focus SVT

I cant think of anymore off the top of my head but thats pretty much the gist of it

charcoal canister, soaks up and contains the vapors/fumes
>just like charcoal underwear

When I go to buy rotors and calipers do I have to specify if it's for the front/rear or right/left or does it not matter?

front/rear are almost always different and need to be specified,

left/right no. how the fuck would the car brake in a straight line if one sides rotors/drums were bigger and grabbed more than another sides

this entire post makes no fucking sense.

hp to weight is a good indicator of straight line performance, but not anything else.

where did lose you?

granted the ring and pinion stuff is a little irrelevant comparatively but still

Im in the planing stages for a rotary build. Is the 13b the best engine to go with?

you should already know what platform to use

lurk moar on rotary forums

I'm not so much concerned about the front/rear as I am about the left/right. I will probably need to replace a rotor and caliper in the rear but I'm not exactly sure which side is the problem one. I just want to know if I get the parts that they will work on either side of the car. I figured they would be the same I just don't know if they're constructed in such a way that they cannot be mirrored across the car.

they are mirrored

Replace both rear brakes or don't do it at all

possibly

Wait what's this about Integra being theft bait?

jalopnik.com/the-acura-integra-is-still-one-of-americas-top-ten-most-1582099675

>are you trolling?
>you better be

No, why the fuck would I have this random piece of knowledge from jalopnik of all places, that doesn't even affect my car?

My brother has a huge boner for this guy's Integra, to the point he wants a loan for it

Yeah I didn't know the integra was theft bait until i started doing some research

I don't live in a shit neighborhood but im still wary of owning one if theft is this bad

Its a Pontiac Sunfire 2002, The first time it turned off completely and i had to wait a few minutes before i could turn it on again, the second time it turned off but the light in the car stayed on.

Car at idle will start vibrating bad(can feel in the steering wheel and seat) and it will maybe do this for a few minutes than quit then it will idle smooth. RPMs don't increase during this and it does it on and off.

misfire

that's kind of stupid. I was thinking it would just be pressurised and there would be some kind of compensating valve to the engine

so then the hood on the nozzle on the pump that catches fumes doesn't actually do anything?

>so then the hood on the nozzle on the pump that catches fumes doesn't actually do anything?

No it just keeps debris out, there are EVAP valves for some cars but they feed into the intake, and the system remains relatively unpressurized for good reason.

How reliable are new Ford vehicles?

I'm going to buy a new car and I'm considering the Fiesta ST, the Focus ST, or the Civic SI. I'd really like a hatchback, which is why I'm considering a Ford Fiesta/Focus, but if they're not reliable then I'll get the Civic SI and be done with it.

The ST twins are fine and plenty reliable.
The main issue ford has is their DCT, which isn't really a problem with the ST's.

Whats a good brand to get some cast pistons from?

I'm rebuilding a Ka24e and I need some .5mm oversize pistons.

I have an 02' wrx in the states and my car started overheating since it's been quite hot the past couple days. Anyways the immediate problem is that it was out of coolant, the next problem is, where did it go? There's no water in my oil and no oil in my coolant. Which would be the fastest way to diagnose it? Radiator cap pressure/exhaust fume detector or just pulling the plugs and looking at which one looks "steam cleaned"?

I have one of these antenna bases on the trunk lid of my Crown Vic. How do I go about removing this? pic related

If you don't have a nut holding it on the other end of the sheet metal in your truck, it would be my guess those two outer holes have something to do with removing it, like using a special tool.

These faggots have breh vacuuming their car for 35 fucking minutes, what the fuck are they doing? I just need fucking air, holy fuck I hate living in a world with other humans

I've been pondering this too lately. Partly because I remember them being everywhere when I was growing up, and now if I see one it seems way out of place.
But yeah, now there are SUVs everywhere, and I think gave a quite good answer.

Some people like say it has to do with gasoline, but my friends' SUVs don't get better gas mileage than my '77 Thunderbird used to - with the one exception of a Lexus SUV owned by a friend that is a hybrid... but it was also out of the price range of most middle class buyers. Speaking of which, I wonder if a weakening middle class in the United States could maybe have had some effect too.