/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic The Hedgehog General. Here we discuss Sonic games as well as the entire franchise including cartoons and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more

/sthg/ #717 - Final Fight edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsNews/Developments

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IyIEY8drcXg
youtu.be/tyCIOyW7_I0
youtu.be/UDY6Kuicnv8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

K N U C K L E S T H R E A D

How can Sonamy fags even compete?

Sonic a slow.

FAST

We've been having Knuckles threads pretty often, actually. Not that I'm complaining.

Well, both characters in SonAmy are still gonna be around. :P

They can't

We have cute animu. What do you have?

youtu.be/IyIEY8drcXg

Chuckles.

>How can Sonamy fags even compete?
They can't.
The comic could end and Sonic will still have officially been in a relationship with Sally but never with Amy.

This is the last time they ever kissed. I don't think them being in a relationship was ever brought up again.

In all fairness, given the way Sonally turned out in the comic, it was for the best SonAmy remain non-canon in the comics. That being said as someone who likes Sonic & Sally (as friends) it kinda sucks that couple was such a trainwreck in the comics.

You have a point.

>This is the last time they ever kissed.
Remind me again when Sonic and Amy passionately kissed... I'll wait

don't mind me, just simple sallicole fag minding his own business with his dead ship

Rekt

DELETE THIS!

I wasn't even in the debate, I was just pointing it out, ship-for-brains.

How can Knuckles even compete?

He's a big Robot

They never kissed, but they didn't shit up a comic like Sonally. Sometimes it's great to be non-canon & good, than canon & a shit.

Golden age sonally is fine.
Golden age Sonamy would have been fine too, but alas it just isn't meant to be

Ian's pre-reboot run with them has GOAT chemistry.

Good point. If Sonally had issues in the comic, I can only imagine how bad Sonamy would have been.

People realize the only reason there's not more focus on relationships is because Sega has strict mandates, right?
Ian has stated multiple times across multiple interviews that he wants to push them harder but his hands are tied. He's also stated that Sallycole will never happen because for all intents and purposes, "Sally will always be Sonic's girl".

Hey, I'll be the first to admit that pre-boot Ian SonAlly had its cute moments. But it's hard to look over the amount of crap it had before it (although I'll be fair & say that Sonic's romantic life was pretty shit overall for most of the preboot).

In the hands of a good writer SonAmy would've been great, but if it were to happen during the thick of the drama nonsense, I can already imagine it being pure garbage.

No, Ian said that relationships have weighed down the books for years and there was too much drama and shipwars over shit that didn't matter in the context of Sonic the goddamn Hedgehog. He said he's done with relationships in general, except for Antoine/Bunny, but that's because they've actually been married for a while.

Actually, Ian says he wants nothing to do with ships, or shipping in the comics anymore. He's tired of it, & honestly if I had to deal with the worst fans from every ship the comic had & the worst fans of every ship the comic didn't have, I'd be sick of it too.

The Great Debate

Saturn version is superior in literally every aspect aside from load times. Even the soundtrack is equally great if not better.

It fucking hurts. Sonic's true love is adventure. Sally will always have Sonic as a cool bro, but she deserves a good and pure computer girlfriend who has literally always been by her side.

/ You're both half right.
Ian has given interviews as recently as mid 2016 where he admits at this point relationships for the game characters are pretty much out of the question. However, he has been very clear that this has more to do with fan issues with the comic and mandates than his personal direction.

I actually met Ian at a con about a year and a half back and got to talk to him for a good 10 minutes or so and he essentially said mostly that. He said in the preboot era relationships defined the progression of the comic and when he picked it up it made sense to continue that trend, but with the reboot he has chosen to focus more on the overarching stories carrying their own weight. He did say though that there would still be more relationship focus than there currently is (zero) of he had complete creative control, but it wouldn't be preboot levels.

That's really what I'd like desu. A happy medium.

Oh I should elaborate on one thing.
By "relationships" Ian didn't mean just dating, but rather any dynamic that exists between any two characters as they interact. There'd be more of that in general (in edition to some bf/gf stuff) if he had his way but the current comic is less focused on those interactions and more on the story carrying it's own weight. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's more just a different way to write.

I have always thought the Genesis version is better in literally almost every way

That would be fine, I suppose. Regarding romantic relationships, I personally think Sonic should stay single (although he could have some cute moments with Amy/Sally/whoever), but if you were to put game characters in a relationship, it would be best to have it not dominate the comic like it has before, while still letting them have their moments together.

It's funny, because the dynamics between a lot of the characters has been one of my favorite parts of the reboot so far. Sonic's with Tails, Knuckles & Amy, Sally's with Nicole, Rouge with Knuckles & Shadow, etc. have all had great moments together & I wonder what it would be like if that got more focus in the comic.

>Genesis
Rusty Ruin
Spring Stadium
Diamond Dust
Gene Gadget
The Final Fight

>Saturn
Green Grove
Volcano Valley
Panic Puppet
Special Stage

>PC
Lol

I want more Knuckles/Sonic Broing out

Genesis version
>Glorious Senoue soundtrack
>no load times

Saturn version
>Glorious Jacques soundtrack
>better control
>better graphics
>more atmosphere to distract from the shitty gameplay

I like most of 3D's gameplay and level design, I just hate the platforming more than anything else on Earth

Oh, forgot to mention
>Saturn has the best special stages in the franchise

I think all half pipe special stages are shit.

>I think all half pipe special stages are shit.
I somewhat agree.
Blue sphere and UFO chase have issues, but I like that the user always has control. If they lose, it's their fault, not just because they haven't memorized the one rails pattern enough.

I actually think Sonic 4 episode 2's special stage does the half pipe best, but yeah I prefer blue sphere

We might be split on what our favorite special stages are, but at least we can all agree what the WORST special stage is

If I remove this Chaos Emerald from your power core, would you die?

It would be extremely Nah he's fine. He's in Sonic Adventure waiting for a tune up

Are you sure that's the same Metal Sonic? I mean at this point Robotnik has made at LEAST three.

And one Robo-Tails, but we don't talk about that.

nth for our boys not doing the soundtrack for forces

I think Mecha Sonic in 3K is just the mk. 2 of the silver sonic in Sonic 2.
I'm assuming the Sonic Robot in Sonic Adventure next to Metal is a reference to both of these sonic bots as Metal is there to be a reference to CD.

>not playing the superior port

What was the last Sonic thing Jacques did? All-Stars Racing Transformed?

>tfw

Holy shit. How does it run?

Technically he contributed to Sonic Boom.

Technically not wrong. "Silver Sonic" is actually Mecha Sonic canonically, so Mecha Sonic in S3&K would automatically be an upgrade or new model of it.

Fighters had Mecha Sonic model 29.

It runs OK.
The frame rate seems about the same as the GBA version but as you can see, the field of view is fucking tiny.
The sound is also somehow even worse.

The worst part is the controls. Using the number keys to jump or do anything really is just awkward.

still better than Sonic 1 GBA

Yeah, some handheld consoles I can't help but feel didn't do well because maybe they weren't released at the right time.
I feel the PSP-GO is a good example. At the time people were losing their shit over not being able to get physical copies of their games and everything being DL only.
But look at the state of things now.

The Nokia N-Gage... is not one of those handhelds.

There was supposed to be an N Gage 2

I'm still a retailfag, but I won't deny that digital has its benefits

So I've figured out what my least favorite thing about Advance is: the music.

This just doesn't sound like upbeat sonic music to me that makes me want to explore and go fast.

youtu.be/tyCIOyW7_I0

Literally elevator music

That right there is the dictionary definition example for the phrase "To throw good money after bad".

For me, the real downside to GO in this day and age is that it's screen was smaller than the PSP.
I mean that massive widescreen for me was the PSP's main selling point. It was easily the same size as both the DS screens put together and it made hunting Tigrex's in Monster Hunter so good.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what went so cataclysmically wrong for the VITA. Maybe the second touchpad was a step too far?
Them losing the MH franchise was probably the biggest killer though. That game extended the PSP's lifespan by actual years in japan.

I used my PSP for everything. Music, movies, you name it. I've since gotten a smart phone and an MP3, so it's lost some of its purposes, but I've recently hacked it to play Genesis and snes games and it's pretty comfy.

I never had a PSP go varient, but I can see the benefits of having download able games on handheld. Carrying games around with you when you're on the go can be annoying.

>but I've recently hacked it to play Genesis and snes games and it's pretty comfy.

What SNES emulator are you using? I've got a Gen, NES/SMS/GB, GBA and NGP emulators on mine, but I heard that compatability for SNES stuff is still pretty bad for PSP.

I thought 2's soundtrack definitely sounded like it was meant for FAST

youtu.be/UDY6Kuicnv8

I have s9xTYLmecm.
It's not the newest one but it handles save states the best I've heard.
Yes, SNES emulation on PSP is pretty lackluster. In the process of hacking my New 3DS so I can use that for snes on the go instead.

The problem with s9cTYLmecm is you have to fiddle with graphics settings for each individual game to get it to function in a decently playable state.

The pacing of the music sounds better but that sound quality Holy sheeeeet

And people say I'm crazy that I don't like the Advance and Battle music.

Saturn, duh

That's not CD

I'd say Genesis but it was also my first video game sooooo

This is why the PSP is one of my favorite handhelds.

I have every NES, SNES, GB, and GBA game on it, as well as every Genesis game. Some SNES and GBA games are wonky, but it's pretty awesome.

Are the Sonic Game Gear games worth playing? Never tried them.

8 bit sonic is a must play experience if you're a fan of the Genesis games and platforming in general.

If you're emulating, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE MASTER SYSTEM VERSIONS AND NOT THE GAME GEAR VERSIONS!!!
MS versions have bigger view fields. Yes, this makes a big difference.

Pic VERY related

Well, 8-Bit Sonic was my childhood, so I might be biased but yes.

Sonic 1 has decent levels, decent colors for an 8-bit console (MS/GG always had a better color pallete over the NES) and I think the superior soundtrack compared to it's 16-bit brother.

Labyrinth and Scrapbrain have especially good themes.

Sonic 2 isn't as good, but it's still a pretty great timewaster. Also, there are 1-Ups literally everywhere.
Oh, and because there is literally no way to know this, the Gimmick Mountain Chaos Emerald is hidden through a passage which is behind a fake wall. It's found going up some steps leading to a vertical bit with a spin-disc on it.

Never played Sonic Chaos.

These graphics look very impressive for an 8-bit game.

Like, this looks better than any of the Mario trilogy games

SMS was a good console. It just... never sold outside of Britain and Brazil, and in the latter everyone played bootlegs.

Shame really. Castle of Illusion, Assault City*, Asterix, Sonic 1 & 2 and Alex Kidd in Miracle World are great great games with really nice soundtracks because the SMS team music arranger had a real knack for getting the most out of the sound chip.

Pretty much EVERY Disney game on that console is sound as a pound as well.

*I'm aware that I am the only person in the universe that thinks this.

How well do master system games play on the Genesis backwards compatibility add on?

fuck off yurifag. Enough with your superiority complex

I honestly have no idea.

user why are you projecting? Not everyone who posts their ship has a superiority complex and the post implied nothing of the sort. Don't be so insecure.

tl;dr for Sonic games specifically: they work perfectly. There are more issues the further down into the early Sega rabbit hole you go, but at that point you might as well just get a Master System itself.

Just be aware that the power base converter was designed to fit model 1 Mega Drives, so it won't fit model 2s unless you mod or disassemble the exterior case, which is easy to do but angers enthusiasts. There is a power base converter designed to fit model 2s, but it was Europe-exclusive and doesn't have a card reader (which I don't think matters for Sonic anyway).

Or you could just emulate them.

I have my trusty model 1 Genesis and wouldn't ever dare think of using a model 2. So I think I'm good

I'm not big on Amy at all because it seems like every incarnation of her after Adventure was suffering (Sonic X Amy was an obnoxious hammer-happy tsundere, Boom Amy ended up being the generic 'straight girl', etc) and I still kind of stand by the Archie Sonic reboot being the only other media besides Adventure to do her character in an enjoyable way with a nice balance of unique traits without making her straight obnoxious or hilariously bland.

I can kinda see why you guys like her, though.

Reposting since it was fairly late in the last thread when I finished it. Hope ya'll like it

We have?

I liked the Advance soundtracks, all three equally, even with Advance 1's reused tracks

What about Fleetway Amy?

Not all that familiar with her. I just know she has a bow (?) and doesn't seem to give a shit about Sonic. Would you say she's an improvement?

Am I the only one that thinks Fleetway fucking sucks? And the Online fags just made it worse.
And by the way I hate Archie too so don't pull that bullshit.

I would say all of Fleetway's Sonic the Comic is an improvement.

It had it's problems. Early artwork is abysmal, and the sidestories they introduced later on when they stopped doing mini-series about other SEGA games bored me to tears.

But there is a very real middle part in that, with great artwork, guest writers, and decent storylines that is very very good.
I think the part where Robotnik takes over the planet is where it starts to improve drastically.
Plus Streets of Rage by Millar, the Ecco Comic that not only didn't try to deviate on the games COMPLETELY BATSHIT story but actually doubled down on it, and remarkably consistently good Decap Attack comics.

Personally I liked how it ended with Robotnik completely burnt out over getting beaten like a drum Every. Single. Time over the course of the entire comic run and just not giving a fuck anymore and unleashing Chaos from SA1 with no plan, just wanting to watch the whole world burn.

Nah, I hated pretty much everything about it when I read through the scans too.

DELETE THIS RIGHT FUCKING NOW

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Not them but Fleetway Amy is pretty bland in my opinion. I vastly prefer Adventure Amy or Post Reboot Archie Amy.

HOLY FUCK

WHAT

WHAT