/rlg/ - Roguelike General

>FAQ and What to Play

FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34

What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas

pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account

User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

valsalia.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for chei

The image in the OP isn't 100% accurate (e.g. base damage of forms), but I didn't have anything proper to open the thread with on hand.

>tfw no gotefolk rl

>speedposting
PENANCE

>cap of indra on andorid
>that sweet elec immunity
>that phat construction value

Hey, take it easy.

>Monks don't start with UC anymore
>or any points in combat skills
What's the fucking point.

To make it more distinguishable from all other shitty fighting starts.

Yeah but it's a shitty, bad and wrong idea

But why do they suddenly have weapons? WHY
The point of monks in vidya is that they fistdudes.

They don't have weapons again in trunk
they also don't start with any UC skill

What in the world...
So when the devs go retard, they go full retard.

2 piety points, biyatch

The extra point in Fighting and Dodging will probably be helpful, especially for races with good aptitudes in those areas.

Also, I tend to agree with their flavor justification. While video games and nerds tend to glorify the "awesome kung fu" monks, the overwhelming majority of *actual* monks -- the ones who'd make most sense as being in tune with gods -- are not really born fighters. Being a monk might give them a strong composition (hence, Fighting's HP), but otherwise, they should "try" to avoid combat (obviously they won't because this is a roguelike).

>but otherwise, they should "try" to avoid combat
>trying to take the orb to destroy the world
>but without fighting

Is it just me or is everything except stealth completely unviable in Norrendin? It's one of those meme RLs where the enemies keep scaling and the player basically doesn't.

>2 piety points, biyatch
3 if you find a faded altar.

I just started a trunk monk and had a selection of weapons.
Also three points of skill.

What's the version number?

user do you even know what trunk is

It's the one on CDO. I'm not sure how to find the actual version number, but the latest line in the changelog is
>1ae2c61 | Chris Campbell | 2017-03-28 00:26:09 +0100

Does the trunk still have enrage timers or was that too retarded even for dcss devs?

bezotting is just a branch, user.
Like foodless, plutonians and lizardpeople.

THATS NOT HOW IT WORKS ANONQ2O8IPEHJ 2Q3098U RH2QW389U˙[´˝W4HJ

?V should show the version number at the top.

In any case, yeah, you're playing a version that's just slightly old (which is smart on CDO's part, since brand-new commits frequently break online play).

How long does a ToME campaign usually take? This is my first roguelike and I'm loving the fuck out of it, but damn, it seems like it has a ton of content for a game meant to be played on one life.

Of course, being new to the genre, I've probably seen nothing yet.

Take it ezmode

>coffebreak yeek monk^nature

SANIC

probably like 10-15 hours. Completing The Tower is about the halfway mark in terms of story missions.

>when you find elec immunity on android
>but it's just that shitty Taratol mace
>and you can't wield it because you need a melee weapon that actually does damage

shaolin monks train with all kinds of traditional kung-fu weapons though
-nunchucks
-staffs
-meteor hammers
-chain whips
-just regular ol' swords and spears
-probably a lot more shit

>staffs

>10 minutes
>level 23

n-no bully

>dwarfs
>milfs

>15 minutes
>level 30

I died in the vault quest because I forgot I was aggravating since sexy.

getting loadsofxp means getting loadsofAC and hits
I can barely think the amount of carnage a tonberry monk would unleash
A bit of bullying never killed anyone

>milves

BUT MUH FIST

>elfs

>humans

Is the One Way Heroics Plus bundle fun for $4.53?

It's a roguelike, what the fuck do you think?
Of fucking course not.

What? But that's crazy.. Why on earth would one monster (or possibly a few more that we don't know about) have pathing?
(Even the stupidest and lowliest of monsters/zombies should have at least -some- form of pathing. Now things just move in a straight line towards you.) Are you absolutely sure? ...Actually, I suppose the most likely answer is that I'm wrong, and that there -is- some sort of pathing AI mechanic.

Damn, that's true. Multitile robotic vehicles would be absolutely fantastic. I can definitively imagine that the AI code would be horribly difficult to make though, yeah.. One thing is simple getPos of the various tiles, or even using the velocity vars to foresee where it will be. ...but coding an AI that has to plan ahead---from what it can detect---and navigate tactically? Jesus...
I wish we had more Toadys.

i had fun playing owh a long time ago

the non-plus version is like literally onedollar, if you're not sure whether you want it or not
or it's free from the dev's website if you can read moon and are okay with a non-english-translated one

>I wish we had more Toadys.
No, you wish we had more people who are totally unlike Toady and care more about gameplay mechanics than dances, poetry or realism.

What the h*ck. I have eaten entire trees that produce less energy than this.

Does your mother know you're shilling bad games in a free games general

Its all right.

have you seen how much those fuckers weigh?

Yeah, but it's only made of steel and plastic. Steel can't be turned into energy and plastic isn't a very good source of it. Besides, aren't logs about as heavy? They only produce ~550 energy.

>Besides, aren't logs about as heavy?
A skitterbot weighs about 150 kilograms.
Realism was never a thing in DDA: the more a thing weighs, the more energy it gives.

No. I wish we had more Toadys.
Whether it's dancing, poetry forms, gemstone cut classification, musical theory, metereological mathematics or geology, Toady is the kind of person who---in the pursuit of making something realistic---reads up and studies something before somehow finding an optimal way of simulating it elegantly in a simplified videogame.
Whether you like it or not, the core tenet of Dwarf Fortress is realism, and the 'Nade aims for the same thing in CDDA. (This unlike any other roguelike discussed in these threads, interestingly enough.)

>caring about realism before [subjectively fun] gameplay mechanics is bad
The main issue here, is that you personally would like CDDA to focus on gameplay mechanics (specifically, ones that you personally would prefer) before realism. I'm afraid this isn't the point of cdda.
In the case of every roguelike that isn't DF and CDDA, I agree with you though. There, the point isn't realism. Incidentally, the gritty realism part is why I love DF and CDDA though.

Jesus Christ!

Well technically 150kgs of robotics could house a WHOLE lot of chemical energy

user.
bullets go through glass. Zombies go through quarterpanels.
it's time you give up on DDA's "realism". It extends only to annoying things like vitamins, faulty engines and filthy clothing.

Are there any roguelikes in which you can possess enemies?
Or revive enemies as allies but without them being weak-ass motherfuckers?
Because shit man when I revive that legendary warrior I just killed I don't want some generic skeleton or zombo or ghost, I want that legendary dude I just defeated.

>get any one of Chain Lightning, Railgun, or Directional EMP
>never fear the grenadier again
Are robots especially weak to electricity, or do *-hacks just have really small HP?

Play as a possessor in poschengband
you can possess the corpses of dead enemies to become them

PCB also lets you revive the corpses of enemies as allies who are exactly as strong as the original deadguy, although it doesn't work for unique enemies

Off the top of my head, Midboss, ToME, PCB, Collateral Souls, and City of the Damned all allow you to posess enemies.

No, CDDA isn't realistic. Yes, it aims for as high degree of realism as possible. These aren't mutually exclusive.

One could go on and on and on about how the game pretty much shits on realism, really.. but it still aims for it. The bullets-through-glass and zombie-tunneling (and LOTS of other things, heh) are logged as bugs, after all, not game mechanical features.
...Yeah, it-.. still has some ways to go..
Even though I applaud the entire filthy clothing thing for its realism, the tedium was so bad that I'm ashamed to admit I was glad they changed it into an optional mod..

Hmm, they only have low HP, I think. I don't think there's any directly electrical component to a railgun attack. Only kinetic. (Not sure though.. if there -is- some sort of "surge" component, I hope it gets fixed!)

>Whether you like it or not, the core tenet of Dwarf Fortress is realism, and the 'Nade aims for the same thing in CDDA.
So, he's not aiming for multitile robots but rather for shoe soles wearing down from walking and guns requiring cleaning to prevent their breakdown.

Demon lets you link with gods and shit.

Multitile robots is fully within the constraints of this core tenet. (It -is- a futuristic setting, after all.)

...Sadly, the same goes for shoe sole wear and gun cleaning, hehe. Yeah you're onto something important though.. Slowly but surely, the tedium from all the realism will push aside all the joy from the gameplay.. In the end I suppose it comes down to how masochistic you are.
and I'm dreadfully masochistic when it comes to gritty realism

>I don't think there's any directly electrical component to a railgun attack.
Railgun is a gun, but also a CBM that makes a lightning bolt follow the path of thrown metal objects. I've been tossing nails at an elite grenadier to fill up the hallway between us with electric clouds, and none of the *-hacks he's sent at me have managed to survive it yet.

PCB is intimidating as hell for me to get into because it just kinda dumps you in with little guidance on how to handle your business, but at least now I've got a reason to actually bother trying. Thanks lads.

Ohh.. Yeah, of course, due to how the CBM works according to the game.. Damn.. Classic example of someone "cinema-science"ing something up without proper preceding research, though. There shouldn't be any residual charge left in the projectile large enough to impart damage.
Still sounds like a cool effect though!

but you already have the chain lightning CBM, so maybe they should change it?

You misunderstand what realism people are about. Both Toady and KG.

They aren't about implementing features that add stuff to the game and also happen not to be unrealistic.
They are about taking existing features and tweaking them into something they consider more realistic, often without considering the implications. And rarely about actually adding realistic features.

For example, Toady adding soapmaker profession and soap because it's realistic to have soap, then keeping it at that for a decade. It wasn't realistic at all because training people as soapmakers in a world where soap is useless is not realistic, but it was "realistic" because soap exists IRL.

There was one DDA dev who was for "feature realism" - mugling. He was shat on on /rlg/ because he implemented some of the most hated realism features (magazines, vitamins, cranes, engine faults), but he was the type of a person who would add multitile vehicles eventually - he even planned to do so at one point.
Ironically, Kevin hates him, but likes all his additions that /rlg/ hates.

>check out roguebasin for recently updated roguelikes for something I haven't tried before
>find one that looks interesting
>the download link on the official website needs captcha to access and the captcha is broken and always fails
Ayy lmao

>implementing realism according to their own beliefs
No, I agree with this. The thing is, there's a hugely prevalent fantastically consistent consensus about the vision they're working towards. Namely, reality.
That being said, there will always be differing ways of how people implement it in a simulation. ..which is why I wrote (somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I might add) that we need more Toadys, since he has a track record of doing this in resource-efficient and game-mechanically "neutral" ways.

>soap, despite no in-game use
I can see where you're coming from, but this actually relates pretty directly to the earlier core argument I mentioned; The soap is there because of the overarching game vision (about realism). If the predominant focus was game-mechanical, the soap wouldn't be there (because it didn't have an in-game use). It's still realistic that the soap exists in-game. (Just as food existing before adventurers needing to eat, and a thousand other examples.)

>DDA dev - mugling
Huh, didn't know about this.. Interesting. I wonder how he was to work with as a person. You know, humble or arrogant, etc..
Also---and this is loose conjecture territory, though---I have a theory that what people really have a problem with (i.e. with these tedious realism things), is the gradual increase of them. You know, the slow incremental addition of more and more realistic (and often tedious/frustrating) features..
I don't think people hate them intrinsically, as much as they hate them because it changes the game's flow from what they're used to.
After all, consider how things would've been if these were features there from the start. It wouldn't be anymore tedious/frustrating than a LOT of the features in the other roguelikes featured in these threads, really. An interesting thought

Demon literally lets you capture your enemies and use them in all of their glory as allies
But there are some generic demons including spoopy skeletor and zambo
The lore is pretty dank tho

it's ok user, you don't have to lie to rlg
we know you're secretly a robot

>Ashi.png

Mi-Go will path like crazy to avoid stepping on time tax spaces like shrubs

it all makes sense now

Lopin's male though.

Repostin'

Sure, why not.

PCB let's you do that with the possessor-class. It's pretty fun.

roll

Whuh-
...Well alright then. Shieeeet.

On a Mi-Go related note: I haven't yet met a single NPC when playing CDDA, and thus (in the beginning, anyway) I was always sharply on the lookout for any hints of NPC life. Particularly sounds. I was fooled by the Mi-Go sounds probably ten or so times before I realized there wasn't any NPCs to be found.
Several times, this actually lead to me seeking them out. Kind of neat, really, considering that's their purpose. Heh

Legitimately don't know if I can kill these dudes.

That said, anyone know how deep these military outposts go? I'm like 4 floors down now and there's no sign of it stopping: at least, the plutonium generator was a floor up.

Incidentally, the plutonium generator can be dissembled from the construction menu but it only produces 5 cells.

Nevermind, they're not immune to electricity. Thank you Railgun CBM.

They don't drop anything special or have CBMs you can cut out of them. Disappointing.

What's the best or most content-rich fork of Pixel Dungeon?

>plastic isn't a very good source of it
Well, it should be. Plastic is basically pure hydrocarbons.

Yeah those military outposts can be a pain.
I don't think the outposts go as deep as some sci labs do. ..those god damn armored zombies, though.. Holy crap. (Although they don't yield CBMs when butchered, I suppose one redeeming quality is that they can drop various types of power armor. ...and sometimes, power armor can be hella rare.)

>plutonium generator
I know! It should yield way more, right? They should bump this up immensely, maybe making the vicinity more irradiated, or making the disassembly take a bit longer, etc.

This. ..and rather energy-dense hydrocarbons at that

Looks like four floors, according to the jsons.

My only attempt there ended when I took off my glasses to tank a bunch of secubots with power armor, then stumbled blindly into a grenadier.

>hanging around level 99 killing uniques until I can manage to hoard enough !mana for notmorgoth
>find a potion of experience but i'm already level 50
>checke the alchemy menu to see what I can turn it into
>Apparentliy !exp + !restorecon makes !*healing*, that sounds pretty good!
>picrelated happens
um

HAHAHAHA

>Huh, didn't know about this.. Interesting. I wonder how he was to work with as a person. You know, humble or arrogant, etc..
A perfectionist autist type. He had a vision, hated when anyone went against it (the DDA community disliked him for that at one point when he closed a bunch of PRs against it), actually worked towards his vision.
The problem was his ideas were quite short-sighted. Cranes, magazines, really painful UI - he obviously spent more time writing the game than playing it.

If he was still around, DDA would grow much faster. The problem was that he disliked and was disliked by KG and the forum/github community. By KG for wanting less bloat (30 items doing the same etc.), by community for closing some PRs and implementing some painful features.

If he stayed and finished the shit he started it would probably be good. Magazines ended up pretty cool IMO.

he's clearly male (female).

Yeah, it absolutely took the same mechanics from ADoM.

Interesting.. Yeah, I love how magazines turned out. Still.. It's as you say, though. Even if he's a talented dude (or not), if working with him is horrible, then things get difficult.
(That being said, I can't truly say I'd mind DDA growing faster. ...even though I think it changes pretty fast as it is already.)

Also, (and sorry for being an absolute development noob here) what do you mean by PR?

ADoM is even better, since you can make giant fireballs by rubbing two herbs together.

Somehow.

It's a git thing: pull request
Basically a single contribution

Christ, that is an absolutely cute motherfucker

>Magazines ended up pretty cool IMO.
Except NPCs don't know how to use them at all and they're forever broken for them.

Yeah, offensive alchemy using stomacemptia/devil's rose etc is great in the ice queen's castle.
Basically you're pressing together the herbs at a molecular level and making a small fusion bomb.

valsalia.com/
It's a neat comic about yeeks
not the floatrand yeeks mind you, even though they look rad as hell
warning: comic is not actually about yeeks

Whatever you think of Toady's priorities, you can't argue with his results!
When he wants something in his game, like three-dimensional tile grids instead of 2D, or permanent tracking of scars on all creatures in the world, he just adds it. Doesn't matter if it will take two years to code. The things he decides to do are a bit odd sometimes, but he always gets them done.
I think that's his defining attribute, not the slavish devotion to meaningless details.

Now, if only he could actually code to get
uh what was that meme I heard about in /dfg/
was it multi-cores
was it x64 architecture
there was apparently a huge fault in his coding

Probably multi-core
IIRC df is entirely single-threaded and so can only take advantage of a single CPU core

>magazines forever broken for NPCs
Oh shit. Why? Isn't it just a matter of tweaking the AI a bit with some simple conditional sequential instructions?

Thanks! (I'm not a code wizard, so I'm still trying to figure out the mystery that is github)

Thank you!