/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (Speccy screenshot), operating system, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE:
>Where do I get games
OR
>What is the best emulator for...

Check out the wiki for the emulator you're using if you run into trouble, there may be a solution there too, often including recommendations for optimal game settings.

Remember to submit bug reports or shit won't get fixed.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/StapleButter/melonDS
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panasonic_Q
reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/62hkj2/what_would_you_like_to_see_benchmarked_on_ryzen/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

s-video with gausian

how do i add halation?

What emulator are you using?

Tile by tile, I'm making a shantae GBC nude patch cause nobody else ever bothered to

see you guys in the afterlife

>In terms of what?

Yeah compatibility, general instability, limited activations, there was Ubisoft's always online thing, so on. Overall the 00s were a bad time to be a PC buyfag.

Yes pretty much everything can be cracked but having to crack something you paid actual money for is ridiculous.

zsnepsx-e

Dear Christ.

Does audio sound like shit in skies of Arcadia legends in Dolphin to anyone else?

This is what happens if you compress a 2-disc game onto a single disc

(By the way, if anyone has tips or a favorite program to make my life easier...)

tile layer pro is working better than yy-chr did, but I'd love to be able to see the actual full sprites instead of randomly chopped up tiles and having to cross-reference a static sprite sheet for blocky shapes

Yea just looked in to it. Fucking Jews did not want to spring for the extra disk. Down sampling music to fit it. Fucking why?
RE0 had multi disks as well as many other Gamecube games.

Rather a 2 GDROM game into a Mini DVD.

Good luck user. I hope you can keep sane.

Welp guess i am stuck with the KGB botnet emu and the original game.

its obviously retroarch.

btw, why hasn't blargg made ntsc filters for PSX or Saturn? Saturn especially would need it due to all the dithering.

Retroarch isn't an emulator though.

yah! tell em! everyone needs your autistic confusion.

The only autist here is you, friendo.

MelonDS is closed source?

>Stating a fact is now autism
Please step away from your computer for 5 mins and clear your head. It seams you need a break.

I think the initial 0.1 release just came out; I'm still having trouble getting it to work even though I got the bios/firmware files.

k. brb in 5 minutes

what happened to blargg anyway?

That doesn't answer my question but okay.

LMGTFY:
github.com/StapleButter/melonDS

Then what did mean by this?
>Open source zealots hate them! Other emulators than desmume discovered a revolutionary way to not run like shit and still not improve accuracy. Find out how!

Crystaltile2 has a "tile composition tool".
You can do it with monster world 4 too.
You sick bastard.

>shit people post on Veeky Forums is not necessarily true

Quick someone call the news

Nintendo wanted to be a speshul snowflake not adopting DVDs so devs just said well fuck you.

defending desmume as the BEST thing EVA since coffee is how some people * "defend open source"

( * : Twinaphex, SP, and others )

melonDS is by staplebutter, who wanted to add wifi if not for zeromus-sama to catch his nefarious pokemanz plot.

He made him look worse and complains about things that don't exist like problems in zeromusware and we all know it's perfect

he has the gall of praising no$gba and drastic. He's an enemy of desmume and of TRUTH.

This makes melonDS trans-closed source.

I have no idea what you wrote but have a (You) regardless.

Bless You.

What he said is that basically the DesMuMeme main dev is a drooling retard that sabotaged his own emu because of his pettiness, and another dev took it upon himself to make a non retarded PC DS emu.

>( * : Twinaphex, SP, and others )

How to spot a newfag.

What's the verdict on CEMU? Has anyone tried it? I'd like to play BotW but I'm not buying a fucking console for one game. I wouldn't mind buying the game itself though

Wait few months.

>What's the verdict on CEMU?
Shit.

>Has anyone tried it?
Nah.

>I'd like to play BotW
Get a Wii U or a Switch then.

>I wouldn't mind buying the game itself though
The game is the one thing you can get away without paying for since piracy for Wii U is a thing.

Well, I don't really have a TV any more and the switch looks like a garbage fire. Guess I'll wait some more.

Better question is why no one modded in better music for emulation.

Cemu success is a daily reminder of your own failures, we get it.

I think it's more that Nintendo didn't want to pay the fees associated with incorporating DVD decoding software on the Gamecube.

Either way, it was a really dumb decision on their part. With the processing power of the Gamecube, DVD support probably would have made it the top console of the sixth generation.
That success would have also avoided the shift of focus to the "casual" market seen with the Wii.
Imagine if Nintendo still had the same goals as the GameCube and Gameboy Advance era. Combined with their IPs, they'd be unstoppable.

Ironic thing is i found a rebalance patch and a 60hz one but no music fix.

It's a shame. I feel it is an insult to the game.

>How to be a contrarian on the internet

some games work pretty well, like Captain Toad and Super Mario 3D World

It has very fast progress, much faster than the average emulator.

If the music was downsampled due to space limitations how you suggest they put the original quality music back in without cutting anything else?

Funny thing is Panasonic shit all over them with a DVD drive and Gamecube hybrid.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panasonic_Q
Then again the Gamecube part could not take advantage of the DVD function. But its a nice view of what could have been.
I wish i had one of them instead of the purple lunchbox i had years ago.

I think butthurt pokefaggots blow the Desmume wifi crap out of proportion and demonize Zeromus over it. Him not wanting to implement per-game hacks to fix Pokemon issues like Drastic probably did doesn't make Desmume a bad emulator. Staplebutter's MelonDS could surpass it in the long run if he makes a more accurate emulator but for now Desmume is still the best for PC.

(Kill yourself)

>I think it's more that Nintendo didn't want to pay the fees associated with incorporating DVD decoding software on the Gamecube.
They used MiniDVD anyway, though. To get around the fees they read their discs from the outside in, instead of inside out like everything else.

getting payed a fuckton of money to make it to the point where they can work on it full time while living in the third world so cheap living probably helps. wonder if the patreon success will bring back the closed source emulator. maybe the switch emu will be closed source with a patreon of 50k a month

to be fair most emudevs ill tell you that they would be glad if pokefags all killed themselves but usually they relent and fix it just to make them shut up(see citra devs and how they got the pokemon games to a playable state while the emulator can still barely play most games). knowing that the fix is there and not getting implemented out of spite made people hate him

If zeromus is cancer, what about rogerman?

(You too)

The thing about Desmume is that it's open source and anybody could make a Pokemon-friendly fork which would probably surpass the original in popularity.

But no one did. Is Desmume's code really so hard to work with?

Thanks, currently im working with BGB and it's got a great tile address viewer (in real time!) and binary table

I just dont know how to convert this into hex for the 'Go To' function in Tile Layer Pro

Y'all nothing but a bunch of fucking retards, both, those who think that Cemu's Dev won't release the source IF the project ever dies, and those who think he will.

Instead of enjoying the emulator's progress you do nothing but whine WAY. TOO. FUCKING. AHEAD. OF TIME. just for the sake of it.
Seriously, go and kill your fucking selves already, or actually better, go and contribute with Decaf's progress and do something actually useful.

>Zeromus not wanting to fix games just because he dislike those games isn't a bad thing
The answer is "Yes", user. Sabotaging your own emulator just because you dislike X franchise or said franchise's fandom IS a really bad thing, needless to say that it's immature as fuck too.

Desmune has notoriously sloppy code to put it nicely. it's part of the reason the melonDS guy opted to just start over with a new emulator over forking.

besides i imagine it's just lack of interest on top of the code. unlike say the RA devs who love making and maintaining/building (or just plain abandoning) their forks most people would just rather work on upstream, better that then having people maintaining separate forks of the same emulator because they refuse to work with the main team

>not making per-game hacks is now sabotage

>Y'all nothing but a bunch of fucking retards, both, those who think that Cemu's Dev won't release the source IF the project ever dies, and those who think he will.

this sort of fake neutrality is hilarious, it's pretty obvious which horse you are betting on user no need to pretend you are a unbiased watcher here.

>Instead of enjoying the emulator's progress you do nothing but whine WAY. TOO. FUCKING. AHEAD. OF TIME. just for the sake of it.

but that's the thing, the only progress Cemu is making is lining some guys pocket with fat emudev cash, if the supposed end game for emulation is preservation of games then Cemu is doing jack shit by not sharing their source. them promising to do it doesn't mean a lot in the long run. when is the KIGB releasing the documentation that would allow the fix for pinball deluxe again? dude promised

The limitations were caused by the physical disc dummy. Emulation doesn't have that limitation otherwise HD texture packs wouldn't work.

Cyndaquil, there are bigger problems than a bit of wind...

Jokes aside, I can't wait for this emulator to get better.
It's not really fair to test the first release with a game that even DeSmuME could never get right. At least Picross works.

it's open source right?

Yes.
Someone posted the github page earlier in the thread.

what an upstanding example of how emulation should be

>At least Picross works.
I tried Picross DS and it says it can't read the save data and won't let me continue. How'd you get past that?

Are you retarded? HD texture packs work by the emulator replacing the textures in memory as they're loaded, the actual disc is never touched. There's no emulator out there that does that kind of on-the-fly replacement for other shit such as music. I don't think it's even possible. And yes, outside of minute hacks such as HD textures and uprezzing, the emulator does have the same limitations as the real hardware does.

melonDS doesn't have support for a few save types, and Picross DS uses one of them.
I was able to bypass it by starting up the game in DeSmuME and exporting the backup save data as .sav (the format melonDS uses), and saving it to the rom's directory (the save directory melonDS uses).

For some reason, although it can't create a save in that format, it can read and write to them. So after I did that the game works as it should, and the game saved my progress on the next boot.

Unfortunately, HeartGold (and other Pokemon games, I'd imagine) is completely unable to save. Attempting to save prompts you with the "saving is impossible" screen and tells you to power off the system.

Are there any reasonably accurate NES emulators with debugging tools that work on linux?

FCEUX would be fine, but the debugging stuff is win32 only.

try mesen?
pretty sure that has a linux version

Ah thanks user, this seems like it will work.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'm trying to play emulators on my old CRT, but the only way I can do it right now is if I jailbreak my PS3. Anyone have any advice? My firmware is 4.50 and Jewgle isn't really helping.

e3 flasher is your only hope

Fuck, never mind then. Guess I'll just stick to PC.

How do you fix blur in ppsspp?

gnu plus emulation

Pretty much. You have to do what the public says. You cannot develop *anything* for yourself.

What's wrong with Pokemon on Desmume? I see people complaining all the time about the emulator, but I don't remember having any trouble with Soul Silver on it, or Platinum.

02:19 < mudlord> people are portraying staplebutter as the new messiah
02:19 < mudlord> why?
02:19 < mudlord> Zeromus can turn desmume around
02:19 < mudlord> anyone can
02:20 < zermous> i doubt im turning anything around. but i look forward to staplebutter figuring out all the 3d fixed point
maths so i can borrow them

That's one of the Five Good emperors right? They initiated that beared curly hair style. So that's Hadrian right?

yes, borrow is the correct open source terminology

>Attempting to save prompts you with the "saving is impossible" screen and tells you to power off the system.
Imagine getting hit with that as a kid with real hardware an 100 hours in game. Goodness.

Square pusher needs to put that Patreon money to good use. Pay Simias so he has time to work on PS1 emulation.

What would you like to see benchmarked?

reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/62hkj2/what_would_you_like_to_see_benchmarked_on_ryzen/

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

>02:19 < mudlord> people are portraying staplebutter as the new messiah
02:19 < mudlord> why?

does mudlord just not remember the shit he posts on reddit or is he just asking a rhetorical question?

I wonder why you need to constantly bring that person up as if that person even matters.

>mednafen saturn core finally update to current version in RA
>beetle psx still on an older version

i don't get the logic here. if anything i'd support a bounty where they have to update every mednafen core to the latest version (and add the pc engine accuracy core while were at it)

i'd ship in a few jewbucks for that

I tried with all the 3 Rune Factory games and it just shows a white screen.

>except Cemu and RPSC3

Why even bother doing this shit then.

PCSX2 can be demanding

Also it seems pointless to test those Ryzen CPUs that have tons of cores, the 4 cores ones will be better for emulation.

Anyone happen to know of a central source for determining which platform is superior for multiplat games? I'm tired of reading forum posts by salty fanboys trying to defend their underdog systems every time.

They are pointless because they are slwer than Skylake CPUS, however RPSC3 will use all those 8 cores, which is probably the only emulator that will benefit from Ryzen, hence why it's useless avoiding this test on RPSC3.

I didn't know RPSC3 used many cores, interesting.

>the 4 cores ones will be better for emulation.
They'll be the same shit, just with 4 cores.

>those black pixels

That's the exact same SABOTAGE that happened in Desmume.

This is a conspiracy!

>So if you have something you would like to see tested, please let me know so that I can help you with your possible Ryzen purchase.

Because its an ad that will fail very hard.

If PCSX2 can ever play MGS3 with post processing at >30fps I'll be permanently at peace.

No, but not wanting to fix a certain series of games just because you don't like it certainly is.

>this sort of fake neutrality is hilarious, it's pretty obvious which horse you are betting on user no need to pretend you are a unbiased watcher here.
Go on, enlighten me. I wasn't pretending at all, there's simply no point in whining about something that may or may not happen. But do it, I wanna see you acting as a psychiatrist or something, now I'm curious.

>the only progress Cemu is making is getting all the money
This sounds like that guy from 4 or 5 Emugens ago, the one that thought: "Progress isn't progress because Cemu is closed source REEEE".

I'm not saying that it was you, but thought it was a fun thing to mention.

Anyways, no, you know that Cemu's progress as an emulator is undeniable as it is constantly getting to emulate more games and slowly polishing its actual capabilities too (Yeah, yeah, I know, BotW and basically because the money, the point stands anyways).

>Attempting to save in Pokémon HeartGold prompts you with the "saving is impossible" screen
NO$GBA had that same problem back when Pokémon B/W (1) were released, dunno if Martin ever fixed it in later releases but back then the workaround (as similar issues with different Pokémon games) was an Action Replay.

Zeromus hangs out in the Emudevs IRC? Interesting surprise, a pic of him actually saying that would be literal gold assuming that's the real deal and not just an impostor.

My wild guess is that PS3 had to rely on Multithreading in order to make up for its shitty and intrincated CPU.

How playable is botw at this point on cemu? Got an i5 2500k @4.2 GHz and 970